• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

Magwik

Banned
You seem a bit biased there, farcryfan

Can't put my finger on why, though.

How I imagine him:
ImpoliteSinfulBuzzard.gif

Raide

Have you guys ever used the Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 3 map editors ? they are much better than anything forge has to offer.

Yeah, spent ages playing on the early FC versions. Terrain editing was top notch and it is something Forge does need. Everything else was pretty basic and you were stuck to whatever prefabs the FC team wanted to make. Plus they never cared about updating it or supporting the community enough, so it always died way too early.

jem0208

Have you guys ever used the Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 3 map editors ? they are much better than anything forge has to offer.

Eh, they have terrain editing going for them but they lack versatility when i comes to creating buildings. You're basically limited to using their premade buildings.

Also interesting name.

DesertFox

this is gorgeous but needs performance tweaking. even 1v1 i had quite a few framedrops
Is there a good way to analyze the framerate so I can optimize it? I'm left kinda guessing if it's running at 60fps as I'm not as sensitive to framerate issues. Now that the retrieving data bug that was plaguing that map is resolved I might be able to disable the fog and help out the frame rate.

legacyzero

Banned
Cant wait to try this. I get vack home to my Xbox tomorrow!

I mean, I dont fully disagree, but they have their limits. Both games are ghost towns vecause the editor's stupid arbitrary limits. FC3 is DOA, and dont even get me fucking STARTED on Far Cry 4.

Are there any useful spawn guides out there yet?

My map is all done, but it's been a long time since Reach and I am completely lost when it comes to the zones and the weighting... :/

Computron

This has to do with the central lightmap trick, right?

Speaking of that I could not do it correctly, I don't know what I did wrong lol

I was also trying to do it on Truth but they made it to where you can't generate lighting on the base maps....

Going off of the Halo 5 concept of remixes, I decided to remix my map. I was debating on starting on another remake of a Reach map I had or doing a remix of Intercession. I ended up picking Intercession again since I had an idea at work. I didn't think it would work out too well, but I think I found a way to make it work. The man cannons that used to lead to the main bases now lead to the side bases.

Also, lighting is hella fucky. In some of these pictures, none of the lighting got applied. I also did the "Computron box" at (0,0,0) with all the walls being ice blue and reflections are this weird red color.

i have found that on some canvases it doesn't actually originate at (0,0,0) but a little higher or nearby.

Its easy to find where by looking at the reflections in glass pieces.

on my space canvas it was (0,0,0) but on other maps there bay be other geometry in the way so 343 moves it.
It would be nice if they gave us a way to do that ourselves.

gAg CruSh3r

i have found that on some canvases it doesn't actually originate at (0,0,0) but a little higher or nearby.

Its easy to find where by looking at the reflections in glass pieces.

on my space canvas it was (0,0,0) but on other maps there bay be other geometry in the way so 343 moves it.
It would be nice if they gave us a way to do that ourselves.

Maybe a Forge item that you can place anywhere around the map that is literally arrow point that makes it your guideline for your map. So you can place it in the center of your map.

Raide

Are there any useful spawn guides out there yet?

My map is all done, but it's been a long time since Reach and I am completely lost when it comes to the zones and the weighting... :/

http://www.forgehub.com/threads/forge-fundamentals.147829/

Used for the older Halo games but the fundamentals are still there.

Sometimes its just pop them down and then playtest to sort out the issues.

Some used spawn zones, other put own exact spawn points.

When I do it, I tend to think about where this spawns the player and what they see first thing, trying to put them in cover or at least let them get to cover. Trying to cut out potential spawning into death is tricky.

http://www.forgehub.com/threads/forge-fundamentals.147829/

Used for the older Halo games but the fundamentals are still there.

Sometimes its just pop them down and then playtest to sort out the issues.

Some used spawn zones, other put own exact spawn points.

When I do it, I tend to think about where this spawns the player and what they see first thing, trying to put them in cover or at least let them get to cover. Trying to cut out potential spawning into death is tricky.

Thanks dude. :)

Map is geometry and weapon complete - will spend tomorrow at some point doing the spawns and then I'll need some folks to help test it!

Blue Base:

CBtzep6.png

Red Base:

o3D1PmX.png

Red View:

WizbkUi.png

Generator view:

The two generators have been scripted to, on destruction cause the main gate and bollards at each base (respective to the generator destroyed) to drop. Players can reset their base security at the generator via a switch.

u0oBlnI.png

Top-Mid:

6JcLj4o.png

Red Base (Generator taken out, base doors open)

yl4N4RL.png

Red Base Interior:

LVpO3g5.png

Active Camo Ice Cave:

nJO9RTw.png

Map has suprisingly large number of weapons - SPNKR, Spartan Laser, 2 x Sniper Rifles, Hydra, Active Camo, and the usual smattering of lower tier weapons.

Add to that, 1 Warthog and 2 Mongoose per team, 2 ghosts and 2 Gungoose on the map (1 each per side)

You can make some pretty nice-looking fern things by just using the treetops:

Do4bbFC.jpg

I really wish we had actual shrubbery / scrub vegetation, though.

Bonus:

v3JrccC.jpg

Sub-Zero at a Starbucks Original Content, Do Not Steal™

Welfare

Microsoft never really made a good push for any of Halo 4's DLC adoption. It's the first DLC maps I can barely even remember. Landfall had a pretty cool layout and concept.

Oh they made a push for the Crimson maps. Bad PR day when that launched.

belushy

Banned
How can we forget the great 14-Day play-in for the Crimson map pack... which magically didn't exist for the other two map packs.

Magwik

Banned
How can we forget the great 14-Day play-in for the Crimson map pack... which magically didn't exist for the other two map packs.

It never existed anyways. They made up a fake promotion to cover their ass for accidentally putting DLC up for free.

out of all the concept art released before the Halo 4 DLC came out, Monolith is the one I wanted to play the most. And to this day, it's the only one I haven't played at all. I at least got a few games on Landfall in MCC.

Karl2177

out of all the concept art released before the Halo 4 DLC came out, Monolith is the one I wanted to play the most. And to this day, it's the only one I haven't played at all. I at least got a few games on Landfall in MCC.
Monolith is one of the best Halo 4 maps, imo. The only issues I had with it were the occasional bad spawn (more than likely due to Halo 4's heavy bro spawn) and that the Beam Rifle had so much aim assist. It's a solid map that I hope someone gets around to remaking.

FyreWulff

I managed to get a couple of games on it. It was basically the last "arcade" map released for Halo.

I must have been drunk when I typed that sentence. Yeesh.

Monolith is one of the best Halo 4 maps, imo. The only issues I had with it were the occasional bad spawn (more than likely due to Halo 4's heavy bro spawn) and that the Beam Rifle had so much aim assist. It's a solid map that I hope someone gets around to remaking.

I might make a spiritual successor. I'm a big fan of the dark Forerunner/Promethean look.

If you remake Landfall in Halo 5, be sure to use the ambient sound FX to make it sound like there's a real-life siren just down the road so that you keep hopping out of your chair to double-check.

IHaveIce

Banned
Thanks dude. :)

Map is geometry and weapon complete - will spend tomorrow at some point doing the spawns and then I'll need some folks to help test it!

That sounds super interesting and it seems like you just created some kind of new gametype. Imagine this with assault, you have to arm the bomb in the main base, but before being able to you have to destroy the generator and stuff.

Kinda like a mini invasion

jem0208

I've considered making it once or twice, not sure I can be bothered to make a faithful recreation though because that would require far too much measuring.

I'm making a re imagining of Haven at the moment though.

I constantly came up in the H4 playlist on the MCC. It's a really good map.

Did some concept art for the bases on Genesis. I'm 90% happy with the current layout, so i'm just taking my time to design assets before i work on the final version.

Vw54nsp.jpg

343 gimme moar flora pls

Glass

Did some concept art for the bases on Genesis. I'm 90% happy with the current layout, so i'm just taking my time to design assets before i work on the final version.

Vw54nsp.jpg

343 gimme moar fauna pls

Dayuuum. So you're attempting a map set on Genesis? Can't wait.

Karl2177

Do terrain objects count as Physics objects? I just completed the terrain of a new map and my Physics budget is already at 96%.

NOKYARD

Do terrain objects count as Physics objects? I just completed the terrain of a new map and my Physics budget is already at 96%.
I believe that is exactly what the Physics budget is.

Posted the slideshow in the community thread and forgot to post here. Here's some updated Deadlock pics.

New Deadlock Screenshot 2016-01-10 02-33-49 by NOKYARD, on Flickr

New Deadlock Screenshot 2016-01-10 02-47-26 by NOKYARD, on Flickr

New Deadlock Screenshot 2016-01-10 02-49-08 by NOKYARD, on Flickr

New Deadlock Screenshot 2016-01-10 02-54-20 by NOKYARD, on Flickr

New Deadlock Screenshot 2016-01-10 02-55-42 by NOKYARD, on Flickr

New Deadlock Screenshot 2016-01-10 03-01-33 by NOKYARD, on Flickr

New Deadlock Screenshot 2016-01-10 03-03-17 by NOKYARD, on Flickr

New Deadlock Screenshot 2016-01-10 03-04-46 by NOKYARD, on Flickr

thanks guys

Dayuuum. So you're attempting a map set on Genesis? Can't wait.

More like inspired by. I've made some stylistic departures (darker rocks and terrain and less lights everywhere) but the goal is to translate the geometry and art direction into a strong layout. There's been a lot of pushing and pulling to design something that makes sense and feels somewhat good to run around, so I have to Forge a clean version this week and get some games on it finally.

Moa zombie gametype would be interesting.

SIGH it was late i meant flora lol. I wouldn't mind shooting Moa out in the distance though

Duros is 343 employee

865df66e92d4d9086d42e765ee15e0c4.png

5a9d19a1c464db9513f4ecd79b274336.png

51bdcbe77a40b63fd61ec16934cfdb2b.png

301f911280d5ae32c5350491c1490cea.png

Top Bottom