• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

Syncytia

Is there any good way to delay a script? Still need to mess around some more but the best I came up with so far is to drop an object through the bottom of parallax to despawn and trigger a script. But it takes awhile... I'm not missing some magic I can with the script brain am I?

I wish we could script things to move more than 100 units, this would be much less of a problem for me right now.

NOKYARD

Is there any good way to delay a script? Still need to mess around some more but the best I came up with so far is to drop an object through the bottom of parallax to despawn and trigger a script. But it takes awhile... I'm not missing some magic I can with the script brain am I?

I wish we could script things to move more than 100 units, this would be much less of a problem for me right now.

Set an invisible block to despawn at the required time. Set a script to "On Deletion/Destruction".

I think I've encountered every single bug that forge has to offer in the course of completing my first map and at this point I've wasted so many hours only for my work to get fucked repeatedly that I'm thinking it's no longer worth it. This B list product is too shitty to put up with.

That is about as calmly as I can put it. For today's round of "fuck your map sillynonsense, sincerely 343" could anyone tell me if there is a workaround for being unable to spawn anymore in a forge map even when there are spawn points? Or is my progress yet again lost?

My time is so limited to spend on this already and now my entire morning was for completely fucking nothing unless one of you can bail me out.

Nutter

I think I've encountered every single bug that forge has to offer in the course of completing my first map and at this point I've wasted so many hours only for my work to get fucked repeatedly that I'm thinking it's no longer worth it. This B list product is too shitty to put up with.

That is about as calmly as I can put it. For today's round of "fuck your map sillynonsense, sincerely 343" could anyone tell me if there is a workaround for being unable to spawn anymore in a forge map even when there are spawn points? Or is my progress yet again lost?

My time is so limited to spend on this already and now my entire morning was for completely fucking nothing unless one of you can bail me out.
Did you delete all your neutral re-spawn points?

That is how you spawn into Forge.

Did you delete all your neutral re-spawn points?

That is how you spawn into Forge.

I started with an entirely blank canvas provided by someone online. I've been using it for weeks without any spawn issues. All I did today was add a few spawn locations for the first time, I didnt remove anything. There's no logical reason why adding spawn points should suddenly break something that worked just fine before, and forge spawning should not be reliant on things like this anyway.

But I care less about the why and more about how to get my map back.

Karl2177

Here's a quick look at my newest WiP map. I'm aiming for a BTB map similar in nature to the Halo PC maps. I still have a lot to work on for this, but since I'm done with the terrain, I figured I would show it off a bit.

hollows-distance.png

View from a distance.

hollows-door.png

Door styled after CE doors.

hollows-interior-wip.png

Upper structure. Very much WiP there.

hollows-lightbridge.png

I just thought it would be cool to have the infantry bridge be a light bridge. You can take a Warthog down there, but it's a bit tricky at the moment since I am missing a bunch of geometry.

gAg CruSh3r

Here's a quick look at my newest WiP map. I'm aiming for a BTB map similar in nature to the Halo PC maps. I still have a lot to work on for this, but since I'm done with the terrain, I figured I would show it off a bit.

hollows-distance.png

View from a distance.

hollows-door.png

Door styled after CE doors.

hollows-interior-wip.png

Upper structure. Very much WiP there.

hollows-lightbridge.png

I just thought it would be cool to have the infantry bridge be a light bridge. You can take a Warthog down there, but it's a bit tricky at the moment since I am missing a bunch of geometry.

Looks very cool so far. Why the low lighting? It's hard to see ;).

nillapuddin

hollows-distance.png

Looks really cool Karl! Love that outside aesthetic.

Really can't wait til I satisfy my remake appetite so I can push out some originals

Longshore update: Everything but weapons and spawns finished :)

Although I'd almost rather start the remix than finish this one :/
Going to really really try and publish all my maps this week, it's crazy I basically have 5 1/2 finished maps and no postings

Nutter

So I have two scripted objects that are not appearing in a custom game, I have checked their settings and they are set to spawn in on Game launch. Not sure what is going on.

Syncytia

Set an invisible block to despawn at the required time. Set a script to "On Deletion/Destruction".

Thanks, I got it to work... in some sense.

How do these timers work? Here's what I have:

Alpha:
send message to box to move vertical 100 units, 8 seconds
send message to spawn a block, with timer 8.5 to send message on bravo

Bravo:
send message to box to move horizontal 100 units, 8 seconds.

It 'works' in the sense that when alpha message is sent, the block is spawned, and the box moves vertical. Then the block despawns and the box goes horizontal. The problem is the duration of time that the box goes vertical is not the same each time. It's pretty random how long it moves vertical/how far it travels... I thought I read something a few days ago saying the timer is connected to the game clock? I would've figured the time would start when the object spawns....

nillapuddin

Okay fellow nerds, I just bit the bullet and posted (most of) my stuff on Forgehub

Outskirts - Turf Remake

XEV2lS2h.png

Love this map, very confident you will too. ** Still need to finish the swinging doors, arrgghhhh **

Keystone - Foundation Remake

LGQpHmoh.png

I am also very happy with this one.

Edge - Foundation Remix

3rSfh7Bh.png

Its hard to photograph, but I really suggest yall try it out. I surprised myself with it coming out pretty cool.
Sector - Turf Remix

* I am running back into save issues with this one, and all the files I do have, all the crates and cover set to normal physics are glitched and unresponsive. So I will have to take an evening and double check this stuff *

AaB3RBhh.png

This is the least "100%" of them all I think, it could use alot more aesthetics I think, its pretty barren (I tried to really cut down the pieces so I could dupe the map, but now I can go crazy til I hit the limit)

WIP stuff
Unnamed Longshore Remake

* (weird lighting glitch when I went freecam to take the pic) *

p12I7rQh.png

Needed: Spawns and Weapons + wrap up the extend-a-bridge, Ive already got the design and scripting finished.

NOKYARD

* I am running back into save issues with this one, and all the files I do have, all the crates and cover set to normal physics are glitched and unresponsive. So I will have to take an evening and double check this stuff *
We took a look at your maps in my stream. The crates were bouncing like they were excited when you got close to them, but stopped when touched. An annoying glitch i wish i could replicate.

M0aHerder

Neo Member
Wow, it's been quite a while since I posted on this site. But, I wanted to share one of my maps, and hopefully I can contribute to discussion here as well.

http://imgur.com/a/xMpzq

Been working on this one since shortly after Forge's release. I decided that I just wanted to focus on the area immediately surrounding the Spire, so most of the map has been left out. Hopefully further testing will reveal whether or not that was a good decision. Other than that, I tried to get it as accurate as I could, with a few alterations. It's my first attempt at any sort of terrain with Forge, so if anyone has tips on that I'd be happy to hear them.

I've played a few matches on the map, but I still need to do a lot more testing before it's finished. But from what I have played, the new mechanics work really well for it. Especially Ground Pound.

NOKYARD

is this going to replace the matchmaking map?

Hopefully. They know about it already.

One thing i forgot to mention is that Schnitzel completely reworked the respawns and spawn zones. Deadlock now has static spawning for all objective game types. Red players will no longer spawn 2 feet from Blue's Stronghold.

Hopefully. They know about it already.

One thing i forgot to mention is that Schnitzel completely reworked the respawns and spawn zones. Map now has static spawning for all objective game types. Red players will no longer spawn 2 feet from Blue's Stronghold.

I will probably need to set something up like that for mine, but we shall see what happens in testing. The new Deadlock looks fantastic though.

Speaking of testing, any HaloGAFers around this evening 2000hrs UK time? Want to get some play-testing on my map done, so we may as well have a little forge testing session if anyone else has any maps they want to try out?

I will probably need to set something up like that for mine, but we shall see what happens in testing. The new Deadlock looks fantastic though.

Speaking of testing, any HaloGAFers around this evening 2000hrs UK time? Want to get some play-testing on my map done, so we may as well have a little forge testing session if anyone else has any maps they want to try out?

Add me, man, happy to test out. I play a regular Monday 8pm UK Halo session, so probably can't turn up tonight, but happy to do at other times.

nillapuddin

We took a look at your maps in my stream. The crates were bouncing like they were excited when you got close to them, but stopped when touched. An annoying glitch i wish i could replicate.

Between that and the warthogs I can't delete on long shore, I'm just special that way.

That aside, what did you think?

Edit: Also, your shoulda dropped me a message, I would have jumped around with you and talked about them. Next time

NOKYARD

Between that and the warthogs I can't delete on long shore, I'm just special that way.

That aside, what did you think?
For the mirrored version the ceilings felt a bit low in the closed in the back alley section. I know it's been converted to an interior space but it felt like all those low rooftops, large garbage bins, and awnings which added so many movement options would have helped showcase the new movement. I can see how it would help drive players out of hiding rather than camping rooftops, so i can see why you did tit that way.

I didn't get to see the regular version but i plan to take a look soon.

Edit: Also, your shoulda dropped me a message, I would have jumped around with you and talked about them. Next time
That would be in about an hour. 1-4 EST

NOKYARD

You can jump in on my stream to have a look then, if the connection is good, i can stick around and test. http://www.twitch.tv/nokyard

HaloGAF Forge Testing in 40 minutes - be there, or be...somewhere else. Like work.

Nokyard and I will likely stream all the shenanigans.

nillapuddin

For the mirrored version the ceilings felt a bit low in the closed in the back alley section. I know it's been converted to an interior space but it felt like all those low rooftops, large garbage bins, and awnings which added so many movement options would have helped showcase the new movement. I can see how it would help drive players out of hiding rather than camping rooftops, so i can see why you did tit that way.

I didn't get to see the regular version but i plan to take a look soon.

Yeah that's valid, but like you noted also by design. I would need more full game testing to know, but I wouldn't mind increasing the height. That map is very raw in general, so I a appreciate the feedback

You
That would be in about an hour. 1-4 EST

Ah, that's the problem.

I run my own company, and I'm in the field everyday during business hours, so I never see your stuff. Archive your streams!!

isolation is one of my favorite Halo maps

if you remove the regen
and most of the bottom
and put it in a different game that doesn't have bad AR starts

so basically i just like the hill

jem0208

isolation is one of my favorite Halo maps

if you remove the regen
and most of the bottom
and put it in a different game that doesn't have bad AR starts

so basically i just like the hill

Honestly even the hill is kinda shit. Once you have control it's just a cluster fuck of people charging up the hill into your BR fire.

When I tried it just now, it loaded up SWAT on Plaza from last night.
EDIT: on second try it loaded it up. I don't suppose there's a way to bookmark the file either.

nope. another one of those missing features. I'm not sure how I'm going to adjust my maps without being able to save footage. I'd have to leave the lobby after testing and then watch the saved film before i play another game.

nope. another one of those missing features. I'm not sure how I'm going to adjust my maps without being able to save footage. I'd have to leave the lobby after testing and then watch the saved film before i play another game.

So I think we should organise an agreeable test night, probably at the weekend. We collect a bunch of everyone's maps, play through them. I can capture all the gameplay, at least from my perspective.

The HaloGAF Forge Show. Who's in? Let's try and aim for this Friday/Saturday night. What do you guys reckon?

jem0208

So I think we should organise an agreeable test night, probably at the weekend. We collect a bunch of everyone's maps, play through them. I can capture all the gameplay, at least from my perspective.

The HaloGAF Forge Show. Who's in? Let's try and aim for this Friday/Saturday night. What do you guys reckon?

I'm in.

Will be a nice break from exam revision. Wish I could have finished one of my Forge maps though, I've got a bunch half finished...

FyreWulff

Wait, so you can't view films of custom matches that are on Forge maps?

Is this due to the fact that maps are actually stored server side now, so when you bookmark a map you actually always have the latest version that the author has saved? So once someone or you update the map, and the films need to run on an Azure instance.. they don't have the old version anymore...

(I'm under the assumption that's why they use the 'bookmark' terminology)

Is this due to the fact that maps are actually stored server side now, so when you bookmark a map you actually always have the latest version that the author has saved?...

I'm actually really fond of this. I don't know for sure if bookmarks update in real time (or maybe I forgot; i know files do, so you can grab the latest version from someone while they're still in session working on it). makes it so we don't have to release v12 of our maps anymore.

jem0208

Is this due to the fact that maps are actually stored server side now, so when you bookmark a map you actually always have the latest version that the author has saved? So once someone or you update the map, and the films need to run on an Azure instance.. they don't have the old version anymore...

Is that how bookmarking works?

That's actually really cool. No need to constantly re-download maps which are updated.

FyreWulff

I'm actually really fond of this. I don't know for sure if bookmarks update in real time (or maybe I forgot; i know files do, so you can grab the latest version from someone while they're still in session working on it). makes it so we don't have to release v12 of our maps anymore.

I hope it is. It'd be one of the features I've wanted for a long time that I did in that last Forge megapost that Duncan archived:

http://halogaf.com/2012/11/30/tldr-fyrewulffs-forge-fantasy/

down under Packages. If H5 works the way I think it does, though, 343's method is a lot less convoluted.

nillapuddin

wait, thats a real thing?

what about if I remove a bookmarked map from my share, then rebookmark an updated version of the map?

ppl on forgehub found a spawning error in my map, so I just fixed it, but it wouldnt fix the versions people already downloaded right?

jem0208

wait, thats a real thing?

what about if I remove a bookmarked map from my share, then rebookmark an updated version of the map?

ppl on forgehub found a spawning error in my map, so I just fixed it, but it wouldnt fix the versions people already downloaded right?

Presumably it would fix the versions they bookmarked as well. When you save the map it uploads it to the cloud then they automatically download the updates.

If I'm understanding how it works correctly.

Top Bottom