• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

NOKYARD

I might be able to make it if it lasts more than 3 hours, but if you don't expect it to I'd love to get my map Spearhead tested, haven't really had much chance to do so with proper teams. My GT is M0aHerder.

Will you be streaming it?
Yes

Even though the spawns haven't been Schnitzel'd, please test Odyssey Base. And please archive your stream! I'll be fast asleep sadly.
Archives are now on.
Well, if you need some random stuff...Won't be able to make this one!

GT: Raide UK

Winter Valley v3 (Slayer and CTF) 8 Spawns per Team x 3.
Longest Yard Team (Slayer and CTF) 16 Player Spawns
Q3CTF4v3 (Slayer and CTF) 16 Player Spawns

These are in my Bookmarks.

Outside of some testing/spawning/weapon tweaks, I am pretty happy with these.

Winter Valley has 3 team spawns, more vehicles and weapons. Would love to see you check this one so I know what to improve on.
Will do. Hopefully we cab gather up enough people to play. There will be at lease 2 Community Cartographers in the party. Myself, @The_Psycho_Duck, and a 343 rep will be there later.

JDHarbs

Coming along.

JcUpxnS.png
bg2JTZ5.png

Karl2177

I think I found a way around the Retrieving data bug. Bookmark your map and then load it from the bookmarks. Forge and save and whatnot. Then it loaded up just fine when I selected it from my maps. The only problem is that it appears to completely reset the date created.

Alright, here's what I have so far on Nightingale. I'm nearly done on one side of the map geometry (it's symmetrical - just have to fill in a few places, do the ceiling and script the ivory tower lifts / elevator trap) and then I have to do the lighting, coloration, weapons, spawn placement, etc.

View of base interior.

Spartan-level view of base interior, for scale - that little CE light is where the Flag will spawn. Either mancannon sends you to a different part of the upper level - their paths aren't symmetrical.

View of base upper level.

View of the rear / "access" section either side has.

Sightlines from top access. Note the floating "monoliths," catwalks etc. It's meant to feel like a symmetrical, more arcade-y Ivory Tower spiritual successor.

Sightlines from top perch / sneaky. Most importantly, while you're vulnerable, it lets you wail on anyone going top mid - there's going to be a Light Rifle nearby.

Ground-level view between elbow and "lazy mancannon." Lazy will launch you up to the second level of the base, but it throws you at a really awkward angle and leaves you open to fire midair - it's basically if you haven't gotten down the other, quicker jumps yet. Note also the view into bottom base.

Overhead between elbow and lazy.

View of bottom mid centerpiece; there'll be two bridges going off of the cylinder instead of just one in the final. They lead to the bottom of the elevator shaft.

Looking up the elevator shaft. Note the mid-level access tunnel, which appears just out of frame bottom-left in the "overhead between elbow and lazy" pic.

Looking down the elevator shaft from top mid. The black / rose floor panels will get you!

Looking down top mid. Oddly, the breakout piece in the center has a hitbox that's perfectly smooth to walk over. All the reflections are going to get messed with when I create my cubemap "dressings."

Midlevel mid's "sports bar" design, which'll look a lot more consistent when I unify the colors, lighting, give monitors gobos, etc. You can look into the elevator shaft through the windows, but can't actually enter it from center mid. That hole in the center will be plugged up by a console you can destroy, which opens up access to bottom mid for about 45 seconds - at the cost of locking down the elevator shafts.

Better view of platform / scaffold leading into elbow and the big ramp leading up to the top of the base.

Sightlines from the slit / window in either side of the sports bar.

Glass

Some great maps in Nokyard's stream last night, but oh man Sik's snow map looks so good, my Halo CE senses were tingling watching that. I hope it or something similar can make it into BTB matchmaking, I'd love a larger and slower paced map like that to mix things up.

Some great maps in Nokyard's stream last night, but oh man Sik's snow map looks so good, my Halo CE senses were tingling watching that. I hope it or something similar can make it into BTB matchmaking, I'd love a larger and slower paced map like that to mix things up.

Yeah I watched the stream this morning. Man, that sniper sight line is VISCIOUS. Listened to the feedback at the end, all quite valid...will revisit.

Saying that... The snow is too bright? Adjust your TV people!

Kingdom is coming along nicely... Will stream some of its recreation later today.

Trup1aya

Yeah I watched the stream this morning. Man, that sniper sight line is VISCIOUS. Listened to the feedback at the end, all quite valid...will revisit.

Kingdom is coming along nicely... Will stream some of its recreation later today.

Don't listen to them.. The snow looks good. Probably my favorite forge map so far aesthetically

Was Kingdom in Reach Forge MM? I saw a brief bit of the video/gief w/e you posted above and it was instantly familiar.

Good thing your twitch archives past broadcasts now NOKYARD, lots of fun watching it. Guillotine and Deadlock specially looking much better now, dunno what changes were made to Antifreeze.

Sik's map looks like lots of fun too and the covie map is very interesting.

Raide

Good thing your twitch archives past broadcasts now NOKYARD, lots of fun watching it. Guillotine and Deadlock specially looking much better now, dunno what changes were made to Antifreeze.

Sik's map looks like lots of fun too and the covie map is very interesting.

Checking the stream now. Sik's map I indeed ready damn cool.

Hopefully the cool maps make it into the playlists if/when 343 sort them.

Edit:

I like watching games played because it gives me an idea of how big maps should be. I never really know if I am planning 4v4 and then put way too much running around in.

Fuchsdh

So in posting the Halo Forge update news to HBO, I had a sudden revelation on what my wishful thinking mind would love you to be able to do.

If you could make a piece of terrain or a base or some other discrete element and save it out *as a piece separate from the map itself*, it would be an awesome way of iterating on maps and sharing buildings and designs. Even cooler is if you could treat object import like layers in Photoshop—either "smart" linked objects where changes to the original object would propagate across your maps, or embedded objects that you could customize without changing everything else.

It's probably just a crazy pipe dream, but it would be a really awesome one. :)

wwm0nkey

Apparently you will be able to save groups and share them with the community in a future updates. Forge is going to get even better :)

Raide

So in posting the Halo Forge update news to HBO, I had a sudden revelation on what my wishful thinking mind would love you to be able to do.

If you could make a piece of terrain or a base or some other discrete element and save it out *as a piece separate from the map itself*, it would be an awesome way of iterating on maps and sharing buildings and designs. Even cooler is if you could treat object import like layers in Photoshop—either "smart" linked objects where changes to the original object would propagate across your maps, or embedded objects that you could customize without changing everything else.

It's probably just a crazy pipe dream, but it would be a really awesome one. :)

Yeah custom Prefabs would be great.

Select and group some pieces, press a button and choose Save As Prefab and it adds it to a custom list that you can access on any map. I know I could save hours and hours by being able to load in fully built windows, bases. other buildings etc.

Fuchsdh

I WANT DOODADS!

Edit:

Can anyone give me a nice efficient Script to move the middle pieces over. Sliding is fine. Does it always have to be a switch or can you do area activation?

That basically describes my map-making experience in StarCraft and WarCraft. "Oh I could make an interesting encounter here, or—HOLY CRAP I CAN MAKE BUILDINGS ON FIRE! Everywhere with them!"

nillapuddin

Who enjoyed 16 player Foundation!?
The way Halo was meant to be played!

You don't know my voice but I said the snow was too bright, and you might be joking about the tv adjustment.. But it is quite distracting. I would honestly suggest to turn the brightness down a few percentiles.

I'm glad to see you heard the concerns over scale, the design isn't inherently bad, I just think its too big. The same terrain at 50% size would provide a very unique map experience that I would like to play again.

Apparently you will be able to save groups and share them with the community in a future updates. Forge is going to get even better :)

Source?

BraXzy

I WANT DOODADS!

Edit:

Can anyone give me a nice efficient Script to move the middle pieces over. Sliding is fine. Does it always have to be a switch or can you do area activation?

HOW DID YOU CHANGE THE COLOUR OF THOSE SUPPORT BEAMS?!

I added some to my map and none of the colours changed based on the object properties.

wwm0nkey

Who enjoyed 16 player Foundation!?
The way Halo was meant to be played!

You don't know my voice but I said the snow was too bright, and you might be joking about the tv adjustment.. But it is quite distracting. I would honestly suggest to turn the brightness down a few percentiles.

I'm glad to see you heard the concerns over scale, the design isn't inherently bad, I just think its too big. The same terrain at 50% size would provide a very unique map experience that I would like to play again.

Source?

P2x00jx.png

M0aHerder

Neo Member

Oh wow, I thought it was just a rumor/assumption based on Tom's comments about new prefab options. Now I'm really excited, definitely going to build a bunch of vehicle replicas to import into my maps now. That will be so much nicer than having to recreate a Pelican or Spirit whenever I want to use one.

wwm0nkey

Oh wow, I thought it was just a rumor/assumption based on Tom's comments about new prefab options. Now I'm really excited, definitely going to build a bunch of vehicle replicas to import into my maps now. That will be so much nicer than having to recreate a Pelican or Spirit whenever I want to use one.

Oh yeah it will be super nice for pretty much anyone making maps and wanting to reuse assets.

NOKYARD

My Grifball map template dream may finally come true. Was not looking forward to continuously updating 4 templates on the different canvases. (before you ask, i do not know more than any one else in this thread relating to this)

Raide

HOW DID YOU CHANGE THE COLOUR OF THOSE SUPPORT BEAMS?!

I added some to my map and none of the colours changed based on the object properties.

Also, thanks to Nok for hosting. Played with a bunch of people I haven't seen for 5 or 6 years. Was fun to be back in the forge mix after so long.

This is the 60,000 dollar question right here.

Sweeeeet

I think I just joined them to the other objects and then changed their settings. Their metallic settings + light is also probably changing them a touch too.

I hope we have some kind of preview thumbnail for prefabs added, though. Last thing I need is for people to start uploading "Arena callout junction - group fix" items only for it to spawn 512 whales with strobe lights embedded in each.

Raide

I hope we have some kind of preview thumbnail for prefabs added, though. Last thing I need is for people to start uploading "Arena callout junction - group fix" items only for it to spawn 512 whales with strobe lights embedded in each.

What happens if I really, really need 512 Whales?

I see what you mean.

I would also love to be able to add a screenshot as the map title card. I am pretty awful at naming maps, so I have loads of test maps and random names (Old PC user habit)

M0aHerder

Neo Member
What happens if I really, really need 512 Whales?

I see what you mean.

I would also love to be able to add a screenshot as the map title card. I am pretty awful at naming maps, so I have loads of test maps and random names (Old PC user habit)

Tom did say that he really wants custom map thumbnails and they're on the list, wouldn't be surprised if they did it for prefabs too.

NOKYARD

Nokyard mentioned it in a stream when forge released. I think it will happen, and soon.

I always lead with a disclaimer that anything i say about upcoming features is purely speculation and wishful thinking. Hell, i made 3 complete Grifball courts based on nothing but a screenshot of a Hammer.

So I got pretty far with my reimagining of Kingdom before the servers crashed yesterday.

Is this too much? I honestly don't know if in this case, less is more.

60xAGx8.png

UjyHjqZ.png

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So I got pretty far with my reimagining of Kingdom before the servers crashed yesterday.

Is this too much? I honestly don't know if in this case, less is more.

60xAGx8.png

UjyHjqZ.png

I don't really remember kingdom by name, are you referring to the fog? If so, you should post shots of the longer sightlines from gameplay perspective. Ideally with another player, but you could probably also place an initial spawn for the same effect. Otherwise it's difficult to tell how it would impact gameplay.

Top Bottom