• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge

SVPX67i.jpg

E3igz71.jpg

I wish there was some more color and different lighting. I hate the golden haze. That all said, I can't wait to see what the community can achieve. I do think it should've been there at launch, but I'd rather have something that works and is great, than something that is half-baked.

How will they integrate it? I wonder if they'll introduce new methods of file sharing as well. Since the game is 60fps locked for all modes, I wonder how strict they'll be with map performance before putting any community creations out.

There's 3 different types of lighting for that environment, they just didn't show it.

Madness

There's also Kiwi I think, don't know if he still posts here, but he's also solid at Forge. Gonna be good times to see what community comes up with.

Ideally I just want to be able to search gamertag in game, find their maps, click download and start playing. File share and search functionality needs to be fast, smooth, and in game.

woodland

Hesitant - would much rather prefer forge being out instead of Warzone at launch, so there's a custom game scene. In my experience, very few games have populations that grow over time - I'd rather have the most people possible have access to forge so custom games thrive.

Also wary of the performance, given how shit H4's could be.

However, if they pull this off it will be the first thing I'm actually happy that 343's done.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I'm not sure why i was invited. Must have won a contest or something.

If there was anyone from the community that I would have wanted to go to 343 for this kind of thing it would have been you.

Having spoke with you over the years about Forge and knowing your thinking behind it and seeing it evolve over time, I think you'd be perfect to give advice and feedback. I'm glad 343 thought so too.

nillapuddin

if thats really A3LG thats cool, hello again!

I just assume everyone from Reach-era forge times is dead til proven otherwise

edit: yeah for the 5 guys who made it there and on video, excellent choices. Glad you all could be there and provide your expertise.

Dude made tons of forge maps with us in CC. Several in MM. Jackal Creek was goaty

Edit: where is GP these days? Making games I presume

Believe so. I haven't seen him since the Destiny alpha. He was more of a fan of Forge than of Halo, but I don't think he'll pass this up. I expect to see a lot of familiar faces come out from the woodworks.

no forge maps til december?

THATS AMAZING

ah, a b.net nerd

the biggest ;)

Aaaaaahhhh wtffff

This is too much

still smh that that exists. Reach era was definitely fun though. Been waiting for Halo to stimulate the community like that again and it looks like it finally will.

if thats really A3LG thats cool, hello again!

I just assume everyone from Reach-era forge times is dead til proven otherwise

Forgers never die, something something waiting for dynamic lighting to render.

Even if the old guard doesn't return, this will certainly bring in some new faces. A few people who still post maps to this day weren't around in the Reach or even H4 era.

Halo 5 Forge looks a bit more complex, but I think the wider feature set should help keep people invested in it.

NOKYARD

Such a thing is unthinkable in a Halo thread.

Anyways, do we know if Groupings will be able to be scripted? Would love to be able to put a bunch of different shaped towers that spawn and despawn along with a capture point for KOTH or Zombies.
Yes. They will act as a single object with the scripting applied to the parent object (the first selected object in a group is the parent by default, but the parent may be applied to another object at any time).

no forge maps til december?

THATS AMAZING

ah, a b.net nerd
Wrong. You will be playing on Forge maps like the Breakout maps and others from the Beta. You just can't forge on them until then.

That ice map legit looks fucking incredible. Hope there's a campaign level in the same vein.

All I need to know is can I select a group of objects and copy a large group at once? It would make everything way easier.
Yes you can.

The 2 mins video in the OP say a definitive yes to that. Group 5, 10 or 400 and move them as one.

Oh okay :D I know I can grab large groups at once but I just wanted to make sure I can copy them in groups too. Grabbing in groups is the main thing i've wanted in Forge since Halo 3.

Honestly, this game just went from Christmas gift to myself, to day one!

Monocle

343 pulling out all the stops for Halo 5. Impressive.

The one thing I want that I don't expect to get (other than splitscreen) is campaign theater. Oh well.

Oh okay :D I know I can grab large groups at once but I just wanted to make sure I can copy them in groups too. Grabbing in groups is the main thing i've wanted in Forge since Halo 3.

Honestly, this game just went from Christmas gift to myself, to day one!

December's a long time to wait after hearing the soundtrack, but will try to hold out till black friday.

Madness

How will the insistence of 60fps with few to no dropped frames allowed hamstring forgers with their maps, especially if they want them put in arena rotation or whatnot?

nillapuddin

Even if the old guard doesn't return, this will certainly bring in some new faces. A few people who still post maps to this day weren't around in the Reach or even H4 era.

Halo 5 Forge looks a bit more complex, but I think the wider feature set should help keep people invested in it.

Very true, if the sharing tools are there, it seems forge very well could have itself another renaissance.

With wherever you are at in your life right now, do you anticipate having some level of community involvement again?

I dont think I can personally put in the time like I once could, but I am getting pretty excited and I am sure some of my old friends in the community will jump back in.

Very true, if the sharing tools are there, it seems forge very well could have itself another renaissance.

With wherever you are at in your life right now, do you anticipate having some level of community involvement again?

I dont think I can personally put in the time like I once could, but I am getting pretty excited and I am sure some of my old friends in the community will jump back in.

I'm absolutely expecting a true renaissance with this considering the dev support Forge will be have now (and not just for the community, but for the editor itself). I think most Forgers have been waiting for this news to make that decision, and I certainly wont be an exception when it comes to giving this a try again.

NOKYARD

Hesitant - would much rather prefer forge being out instead of Warzone at launch, so there's a custom game scene. In my experience, very few games have populations that grow over time - I'd rather have the most people possible have access to forge so custom games thrive.

Also wary of the performance, given how shit H4's could be.

However, if they pull this off it will be the first thing I'm actually happy that 343's done.
Perf is WAY better than any of the previous games from what i saw, and i pushed very hard. Plus, you no longer have to forge for split-screen.

If there was anyone from the community that I would have wanted to go to 343 for this kind of thing it would have been you.

Having spoke with you over the years about Forge and knowing your thinking behind it and seeing it evolve over time, I think you'd be perfect to give advice and feedback. I'm glad 343 thought so too.
Thanks Dani. Very much appreciated. I kind of felt out of place being the oldest person in the entire building but they made me feel quite welcome. It was great having our (the community's) voices heard after years of near silence, and to see how they acted on almost every bit of feedback we gave them.

Speaking of that. You no longer have to wait for lighting to render unless you want to. It's now 'Hold to Render'.

Speaking of that. You no longer have to wait for lighting to render unless you want to. It's now 'Hold to Render'.

Mhmm i was poking at that. I've missed flinging myself across Forge World in Reach.

At this point, I'm most curious about the lighting, as it's always been a bane of mine. There weren't many crazy Forgers that would rebuild an entire map because the lighting in one area was bad.

Hey guys,

I'm currently residing in China, can anyone share a video link that I can watch? Youtube is blocked. Thanks in advance :)

NOKYARD

Is there a mirror flip for grouped objects?
No. But we put in a feature request so they ware aware of the need.

How will the insistence of 60fps with few to no dropped frames allowed hamstring forgers with their maps, especially if they want them put in arena rotation or whatnot?
Performance is way up. Forgers will still have to be smart with their usage but there is much more headroom now. Also, read my above post on how large pieces = fewer pieces.
Mhmm i was poking at that. I've missed flinging myself across Forge World in Reach.

At this point, I'm most curious about the lighting, as it's always been a bane of mine. There weren't many crazy Forgers that would rebuild an entire map because the lighting in one area was bad.
I only got to place a handful of lights (which were placed by the actual lighting artist/dev) so i can say with great certainty that bad lighting is no longer an issue.

nillapuddin

I'm absolutely expecting a true renaissance with this considering the dev support Forge will be have now (and not just for the community, but for the editor itself). I think most Forgers have been waiting for this news to make that decision, and I certainly wont be an exception when it comes to giving this a try again.

Well thats great man, Ill be glad to see you around again, til next time

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
It's something we talked about extensively during our visit but we have no information to share.

Is this because of embargoes, or that there weren't any details?

Blink once for former, twice for latter.

Top Bottom