• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 getting its biggest update soon, thoughts on post release support?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
-Halo: Reach Grenade Launcher

sG4oJsj.gif

This is true
But people are still clambering for a H3A, and its the most played game in MCC
200.gif

IMO it's the rank, maps and gametypes that made H3 so replayable in spite of all it's flaws. H2 was the same. H6 would do well to focus on the marriage of map design and gametype heavily.

*H3 online projectile BR/netcode sucked from Australia and we played the shit out of it still.

Avalanche is easily one of the best designed maps in Halo 3.

-Valhalla's movement is shit due to a contested middle that becomes a giant choke point.
-Sandtrap is competitively flawed in objective playlists with asymmetric bases. It's an absolute chore to navigate on foot.
- Standoff is a cluster fuck due to its size and grenade spam in the rocky middle. It often devolved with one team quitting while the other circled the base in warthogs.
-Last Resort is okay, but a downgrade of Zanzibar, movement doesn't flow nearly as well due to the added catwalks, etc.
-Longshore is pretty great, a semi assymmetric map where no base has an overt advantage, plays well in all game types though is limited on vehicle play.

Avalanche is completely symmetric which is great for objective. It has defined vehicle and infantry lanes that give players quite a few options in navigation. Gaining a power position like the mid hill doesn't halt all map flow thanks to teleporters, vehicle lanes and man cannons. It's perfectly suited for slayer flipping spawns doesn't lead to the enemy team spawning right behind you. It's far and away the best BTB map in Halo 3 and the best in Halo period, its design works well in modern Halo as well.

Vahalla and Last Resort were bad but the rest of the maps were great, and so was the sandbox - shit BR and all. BTB hasn't been worth playing since.

Gator86

Goddamn, the game has been out like 2 years and they're still trying to fix their fucked up aiming. What are you even doing, 343?

Docpan

I just have to put this out there:

Having a target frame rate of 60fps is admirable, and truly appreciated.

But, having a compromise of every enemy animation running at a 30fps draw speed (when they are more than 3 feet from your face) while the screen is locked to 60hz is not only jarring, but completely laughable. I would rather play at a locked 30 and that's not a joke or jab at the developers. I defy anyone with a TV over 40 inches to tell me that's not one of the biggest eye sores in gaming they've ever seen.

I think their ongoing support of the game is phenomenal, but I find it unplayable from a visual standpoint in is current form on XBO. Hopefully some day the Scorpio version, if that ever exists, can eliminate the problem.

Goddamn, the game has been out like 2 years and they're still trying to fix their fucked up aiming. What are you even doing, 343?

I have zero problems with aiming. My deadzones are set to zero, aim acceleration is set to 2 and I have my vertical+horizontal sensitivity matched (7). Try something like that. I've never witnessed input lag, though not saying it doesn't exist. Also the game has been out for 14 months, pretty shy of 2 years.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I just have to put this out there:

Having a target frame rate of 60fps is admirable, and truly appreciated.

But, having a compromise of every enemy animation running at a 30fps draw speed (when they are more than 3 feet from your face) while the screen is locked to 60hz is not only jarring, but completely laughable. I would rather play at a locked 30 and that's not a joke or jab at the developers. I defy anyone with a TV over 40 inches to tell me that's not one of the biggest eye sores in gaming they've ever seen.

I think their ongoing support of the game is phenomenal, but I find it unplayable from a visual standpoint in is current form on XBO. Hopefully some day the Scorpio version, if that ever exists, can eliminate the problem.

I'd never have noticed if it wasn't pointed out to me.

Halo 5's been playable for 2 years if you count the beta...

I didn't like the aiming back then either. I bought a new controller in the summer and that helped a lot with dead zones, but the game still feels off.

Omni

Adding new armour and skins means nothing to me when it's all RNG gamble bullshit.

Did they fix that yet

Laugh all you want, halo2s guns weren't garbage like in 3 and the absolute best halo maps were all in 2. BTB peaked at 2 and has been downhill ever since. 3 was a close second. 5 is dead fucking last.

I can't stand Halo 2 at all but I'll agree with you here. Launching without any BTB maps whatosever was a mistake.

psyfi

Banned
Laugh all you want, halo2s guns weren't garbage like in 3 and the absolute best halo maps were all in 2. BTB peaked at 2 and has been downhill ever since. 3 was a close second. 5 is dead fucking last.
Halo 5 BTB is far better than Halo 4 BTB. But that's not saying much.

Reckoner

Halo 5's been playable for 2 years if you count the beta...

I didn't like the aiming back then either. I bought a new controller in the summer and that helped a lot with dead zones, but the game still feels off.

Reducing dead zone to 0 and increasing stick sensibility helped for me.

It's not broken? Besides, the system isn't that bad since you can't get duplicates

Plus req points are in no way hard to come by. You can open a gold pack far more often than a loot box from Overwatch.

Plus they even gave out the best armor for free on Halo 5's 2 1 year anniversary.

Adding new armour and skins means nothing to me when it's all RNG gamble bullshit.

Did they fix that yet

One of the worst parts of Halo 5 to me. I appreciate the whalefunding and all but Halo 5 has to have the worst micro transactions when 90% of it is paying for one time use items. At least if I gamble in Overwatch, I get to keep whatever I earn.

The REQ system is fine as an investment system, but the rewards are not worth the effort, and certainly not the money, to someone who doesn't religiously play Warzone.

wwm0nkey

One of the worst parts of Halo 5 to me. I appreciate the whalefunding and all but Halo 5 has to have the worst micro transactions when 90% of it is paying for one time use items. At least if I gamble in Overwatch, I get to keep whatever I earn.

The REQ system is fine as an investment system, but the rewards are not worth the effort, and certainly not the money, to someone who doesn't religiously play Warzone.

A simple addition of letting you buy armor and weapons with points would fix most complaints I feel

A simple addition of letting you buy armor and weapons with points would fix most complaints I feel

That is one advantage Overwatch has over Halo 5. I also had the advantage of playing 5 consistently since launch. So I have everything unlocked as it gets released. If you're jumping in, or don't play very often it's difficult to get what you want. There's also an over saturation of ugly armors.

Fotos

I just hate the lack of progression. Working towards armor and having that rewarding feeling when you get it was a big incentive to a lot of people to keep playing. They essentially took out a feature and replaced it with randomness. Armor is even cool to have anymore.

It's cool in a game like Overwatch and CS:GO because working towards skins was never a thing before the random drops. In Halo they literally took something away that was already there.

Eliminating the RNG would be a step in the right direction. I'm sure there is some kind of ethical line being crossed though by buying weapons to use once in Warzone. If we were buying specializations and then getting random drops, even that'd be better. The current system soured my interest on Warzone and then I don't find the mode compelling enough on top of it. To me it was not worth diverting resources away from BTB and Firefight/Spartan Ops.

I just hate the lack of progression. Working towards armor and having that rewarding feeling when you get it was a big incentive to a lot of people to keep playing. They essentially took out a feature and replaced it with randomness. Armor isn't even cool to have anymore.

Reach had the most straightforward progression system and I loved it to bits. Complete daily and weekly challenges to rank up and get credits to buy cosmetic shit to make your Spartan look cool. There are people still trying to get their Inheritors lol

I just hate the lack of progression. Working towards armor and having that rewarding feeling when you get it was a big incentive to a lot of people to keep playing. They essentially took out a feature and replaced it with randomness. Armor is even cool to have anymore.
This.
I remember having fun in reach completing the daily and weekly to get a cool piece of armor or armor effect.
REQ Packs are horrible in my opinion, no fun in any way at all.

I was just looking at my halo 5 pc install today thinking that I only played it once and then left it alone, a server browser will do wonders.

That is one advantage Overwatch has over Halo 5. I also had the advantage of playing 5 consistently since launch. So I have everything unlocked as it gets released. If you're jumping in, or don't play very often it's difficult to get what you want. There's also an over saturation of ugly armors.

*rolls a legendary unlock* YESSSS

Oh, it's that common helmet but with a white stripe.

This.
I remember having fun in reach completing the daily and weekly to get a cool piece of armor or armor effect.
REQ Packs are horrible in my opinion, no fun in any way at all.

Every Thursday I'd hop on and complete the Firefight challenges in Score Attack. It was such a small thing that always kept me coming back, and Score Attack was legitimately enjoyable.

I was just looking at my halo 5 pc install today thinking that I only played it once and then left it alone, a server browser will do wonders.

*rolls a legendary unlock* YESSSS

Oh, it's that common helmet but with a white stripe.

Plus those stripes look like shit in game, they're just jagged lines at mid range and washed out at long range. For armor design in Halo less is more. Mk. IV looks great
would look even better with black undersuits.

AP90

Still the game I come back to play an hour or two at night 3-4days a week to decompress and to catch up with my brother through party chat!

-love 343's support and continuous improvements to the game.

IMO I think 343 will transition halo 5's multiplayer to just Halo MP and continue to have updates and patches that transition it to/for Halo 6 style as H5 has become a multiplayer masterpiece..
(maybe charge $15-20 for the Halo 6 upgrade?). Then they could focus on campaign/story really well and sell/release it for like $35-40.

*while still providing all these content updates =D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I am very curious how many people will get back on Halo 5 PC with this launch

I haven't even bothered with it outside of getting the win achievement due to the lack of server browser. So if it comes this week, I'll check it out for sure.

Absolutely excellent post release support. They've done what they've promised and more.

That REQ system ruins it all for me though. Just can't manage to escape it's worst aspects, and I gave it several honest chances to win me over. It warps everything about the series I used to find fun.

Looks like the search for the best way to bring in a steady stream post-release revenue for steady post-release support is still a work in progress.

Theorry

Server browser on PC. Sure its still Forge but this is good for PC and offcourse for the future with Halo 6. Really hope they gonna push the PC version hard in the future. Because i think there is still a gap in the PC space for Halo to fill. There isnt really much like it. And imo the game is perfect for PC. Long time to kill, high skill ceiling, dedi servers, good post launch support and server browser.

psyfi

Banned
A customer server browser could honestly be a major moment of revitalization for the Halo community, as big as Forge and Forge World were. I'm so excited to see what it's capable of and what people do. :)

They built a game with insanely good mechanics and continue to keep it fresh for free on an ongoing basis.

It's a great way to support a game.

Top Bottom