• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Beta Thread | Hot Red on Blue Action

JackHerer

Dunno if I'm a fan of that bunker near the Hydra spawn on Orion. So much turtling there.

That is the worst part about the map. It's so easy to post up there once you have the lead. It's extremely difficult to flush a team out of there. In higher level matches it just devolves into the leading team holding that area and taking long range pot-shots for as long as they can while the losing team tries to break it and takes massive casualties.

If you get a sniper up there it is usually game over.

Edit: I'm really hoping that Forge maps aren't featured heavily at launch (or ever really). Including them in the beta is not a good sign on that front...

Azriell

Long time Halo hater here, and I'm loving the beta. I'm so thankful that 343 was smart enough to include options for people who are used to CoD. I love having ADS on LT, but I've come to realize that ADS isn't even necessary most of the time.

This beta and this thread have been big learning experiences for me. As a CoD player, it's hard to ignore the impulse to run around solo and be a hero. Sticking with teammates is so much more rewarding, and you feel like a badass when you roll around the map with your team, as a unit, battling it out.

A hard thing for me to learn has always been weapon spawns. It's hard enough learning a new map without having to worry about getting wrecked by power weapons. I never put in enough time to really get there, and forget about keeping track of respawn timers on pickups. It goes without saying that I'm loving how much information the game communicates with you. Not only does it let you know where the weapons are and whether they are up or not, it also tells you when they're about to respawn. I get why a lot of legacy players would dislike the changes, but as a new player it makes it so much easier to get into the game.

Anung

Un Rama
Started playing the beta tonight. I'm a long time fan whose interest died with 4. My super initial impressions are guns are meaty, breakout seems fun, shields/health goes down to quick.

GECK

That is the worst part about the map. It's so easy to post up there once you have the lead. It's extremely difficult to flush a team out of there. In higher level matches it just devolves into the leading team holding that area and taking long range pot-shots for as long as they can while the losing team tries to break it and takes massive casualties.

If you get a sniper up there it is usually game over.

Edit: I'm really hoping that Forge maps aren't featured heavily at launch (or ever really). Including them in the beta is not a good sign on that front...

Yeah, take out the windows and the pointless fucking glare it might be somewhat playable. But right now Orion feels like one of those trash tier forge maps from Reach.

smurphdogg

Neo Member
-21 rank when 2 teammates quit midway through a close game, seems unfair. It's not fun already to have to play 4 v 2. Seeing such a j=huge downrank is very discouraging.

JackHerer

I'm wondering if we will get a second BTB beta over the summer. It would make sense. Use this arena beta to nail down the core combat details and then have a second beta to test whatever new features or gametypes they plan on including with BTB.

At least I hope they do. A year long wait for this game is going to be brutal after being so exposed to the game, playing it 3 weeks straight.

wbarreda

I'm wondering if we will get a second BTB beta over the summer. It would make sense. Use this arena beta to nail down the core combat details and then have a second beta to test whatever new features or gametypes they plan on including with BTB.

At least I hope they do. A year long wait for this game is going to be brutal after being so exposed to the game, playing it 3 weeks straight.
They have to do at least a stress test before they launch the game. 343 can't afford another MCC.

Yeah got that free month message too.

Goddamnit how am I gonna get my halo fix once this goes off. Can't find one game in MCC. Got rid of my 360. :/

Fun fact: 343 tried using natural sunlight to obscure vision as a means of creating unique sightlines back with the original design of Haven and actually implemented a variation of it in Wreckage.

Fun fact: 343 tried using natural sunlight to obscure vision as a means of creating unique sightlines back with the original design of Haven and actually implemented a variation of it in Wreckage.

Honestly, that sounds like kind of a cool idea. The problem is that if your playerbase sees it as a bug, rather than a feature, that's all it'd ever be.

Ramirez

I think you're giving them too much credit. How does it make sense to obscure the vision of people down low and give the advantage to the top area?

Enordash

Dunno if I'm a fan of that bunker near the Hydra spawn on Orion. So much turtling there.

Maybe they can make it more of an L that's extremely vulnerable from one side. Or maybe you could only see in and not out that way people couldn't immediately be on target when coming out of the house.

Some people have noted that ADS on LT gives an apparent advantage for ADSing.
In one of the 343 vids, one guy said that if you have to ADS they've broken the game.

Isn't a button layout giving a favourable ADSing indicative that ADS yields a notable advantage and that they have by their words broken the game?

HTupolev

They should maybe take a look at Standoff (Halo 3) to see how to do low-angle sun lighting...

...or something.

:/
Yes.

SGcrtW4.jpg

I think you're giving them too much credit. How does it make sense to obscure the vision of people down low and give the advantage to the top area?
I'm sure they're just carrying out trials to combine the "blind everyone who looks up" concept into a Paradiso remake. It'll be great!

-21 rank when 2 teammates quit midway through a close game, seems unfair. It's not fun already to have to play 4 v 2. Seeing such a j=huge downrank is very discouraging.

why? beta ends in 2 days. just play as many games as possible and stop caring about rank.

also, Orion is a bad map and Pegasus is good, but would be awesome with no radar.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Pegasus is literally hell.

i enjoy it, at least when its played out as it should be, teams battling for the hill. its hell when shit teammates dont understand the most basic of map control and just roam like any other map though. i will say though, that a good team set up on the hill can be basically insurmountable, and thats not fun. so, i guess i'd like to see some tweaks, but i'm not sure specifically what those would be.

might be a terrific asymmetric objective mode map though. i could see one flag/bomb being a lot of fun.

Pop

Yeah got that free month message too.

Goddamnit how am I gonna get my halo fix once this goes off. Can't find one game in MCC. Got rid of my 360. :/

Gotta wait till November now...

Seriously. MCC is my biggest disappointment. I freaking love halo, shits depressing.

RBK

Banned
Would it be too much to ask to not make it possible to steal kills if I'm doing an assassination?

Adds to the risk and reward factor of doing so?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Finding matches is so fucking hard in this game, goddamn. I've only found one match in the past 24 minutes. I've gotten in so many full lobbies that refuse to start so someone always quits.

Finding matches is so fucking hard in this game, goddamn. I've only found one match in the past 24 minutes. I've gotten in so many full lobbies that refuse to start so someone always quits.

I know, it does that to me too, a lot. Sometimes it finds more people, sometimes it just gives you an error.

Would it be too much to ask to not make it possible to steal kills if I'm doing an assassination?

Adds to the risk and reward factor of doing so?

I have had maybe 2 successful assassinations out of the 18 I have tried. Shit sucks.

Also, I'm bummed I got knocked down to Silver 1, but I love playing with all these Bronze 3s. Crushing em so hard.

Top Bottom