• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Beta Thread | Hot Red on Blue Action

BRs is the only way to play Halo ever since the pistol stopped being a 3sk.

I don't understand why you'd want to spawn with a bottom tier weapon and run around looking for a better one while you're being sniped in the back by the guy who just picked yours up.

Now this depends on the game and gametype, the reach pistol could 5 hit kill someone so as long as you controlled it, it was great.

Here in the halo 5 beta the pistol is a mix of halo 2 and halo 3's, it fires fast but needs several hits to drop shields, it's not really a good starting weapon when the AR does mega damage.

BR starts are nice but not every time, not when the starting pistol can be a good pocket version if balanced right.

Good lord no, the sticky nades in Destiny are pure trash.

well most of destiny is trash, but that's not for this thread.

The way this beta feels a homing sticky would feel at home IMO, we already have pocket nukes with normal frags.

Sou Da

I don't understand why you'd want to spawn with a bottom tier weapon and run around looking for a better one while you're being sniped in the back by the guy who just picked your old one up.

Why even have other weapons in the game?

I don't understand why you'd want to spawn with a bottom tier weapon and run around looking for a better one while you're being sniped in the back by the guy who just picked your old one up.

Well, they did up the power of both spawning weapons to combat that and they've left PLENTY of DMR's and BR's strewn about both maps. It's far better than it's ever been in Halo.

I mean, there has to be a penalty for dying and a reward for knowing the map well enough to find a BR or DMR on the ground.

I think they made the pistol exactly how it's supposed to be. Hard to use, but great to use when you master it. Kill times are really fast when you pop straight head shots.

OverHeat

« generous god »
0-22 and 0-8 and I was 13-8 get the fuck out of this game you stupids scrubs. Nice job on the matchmaking 343i

Now this depends on the game and gametype, the reach pistol could 5 hit kill someone so as long as you controlled it, it was great.

Here in the halo 5 beta the pistol is a mix of halo 2 and halo 3's, it fires fast but needs several hits to drop shields, it's not really a good starting weapon when the AR does mega damage.

BR starts are nice but not every time, not when the starting pistol can be a good pocket version if balanced right.

If the pistol was balanced right I wouldn't mind, but this one is squishy and less effective than the AR, which is just as pointless as it's always been when you pick up a BR and dome the guys with the ARs.

Why even have other weapons in the game?

"weapon variety is more fun" or whatever the old halo forums used to spin in favor of spawning with inferior guns.

i'll be back for BR starts but i've seen enough at this point.

Ramirez

Indeed it was.

I recognized your 'tag and tried to avoid you as much as possible, (discretion being the better part of valor), although I got in a lucky headshot with the sniper at some point, lol.

Yea, you got me with the domer by the waterfall, haha.

I gave up after that match, MCC only serves to depress.

The magnum is good Zoba, and there's enough BRs/DMRs on the map that you are rarely ever stuck with just an AR/Magnum. Interested to see how it plays without them though.

Empire sucks. Seems like Shotty should be the map control weapon, just not enough room to snipe decently imo. I love thruster pack for the mobility, I was able to survive a 2v1 because of it many times.

BR starts were dull as shit.

AR starts must put you to sleep then.

There's no combat loop with ARs. There's no interplay with the shields, no strafing, no team shooting, no cross map battles, no-out plays, no clutch headshots, no pre-nade. It's just run around and spray your AR and hope you land enough bullets to kill them. With BRs, losing your shield means something because you can be headshot, so it forces you move around the map smarter, challenge smarter, and position smarter. With ARs, there may as well not even be shields in the game, especially when somebody can run away easily and you can't hit them in the head.

If you find BR starts dull, you're probably playing it on one of Halo's wide array of terrible maps. BR starts on Warlock for example may as well be in Action Sack, but i wouldn't want to spawn with an SMG there either.

JdFoX187

Banned
Soo how exactly do you stop people that have the sword? They move so fast I'm dead in an instant

Use your boosters and be aware of them. I've had so many idiots charge at me and whif when I hit my booster at the right time, finishing them off with a pistol or AR. I've found the sword to be the most useless in this game as it's ever been.

link1201

Use your boosters and be aware of them. I've had so many idiots charge at me and whif when I hit my booster at the right time, finishing them off with a pistol or AR. I've found the sword to be the most useless in this game as it's ever been.

I have pulled that off twice so far. it's so satisfying to slide to the right and pop the guy while he lunged. lol

I'm a bumper jumper user and theres something just a bit off with the layout, i think its the boost button being on x, could it not be jump and press jump again to do boost? also sprint on A and not stick?

I think the sprint stick / sprint a is something some like and others don't so how about an option to swap just that too. so you still have 1 bumper jumper layout but that can be swapped.

also the kill cam off option? that jump to black, load, play death, unload models, load game thing is really jarring.

as far as things that just grate on me, That end stance where they do that 1 animation of the winning team being all 'American' and slapping hands and acting big. its just stupid. are the player names even on screen?

what someone else said about the time you get the BR and the game becomes good for 30 seconds, YEP. why hasn't someone just said, its ALWAYS BR starts? with AR second if you REALLY want it to be there

I'm a bumper jumper user and theres something just a bit off with the layout, i think its the boost button being on x, could it not be jump and press jump again to do boost? also sprint on A and not stick?

I think the sprint stick / sprint a is something some like and others don't so how about an option to swap just that too. so you still have 1 bumper jumper layout but that can be swapped.

also the kill cam off option? that jump to black, load, play death, unload models, load game thing is really jarring.

as far as things that just grate on me, That end stance where they do that 1 animation of the winning team being all 'American' and slapping hands and acting big. its just stupid. are the player names even on screen?

what someone else said about the time you get the BR and the game becomes good for 30 seconds, YEP. why hasn't someone just said, its ALWAYS BR starts? with AR second if you REALLY want it to be there

My issue with BJ is that the double jump/hover is disconnected from the jump and then clamber is connected to the jump. It should be the opposite.

There's just too much crossing fingers across the controller for related actions. It's off balance.

Sou Da

There's no combat loop with ARs. There's no interplay with the shields, no strafing, no team shooting, no cross map battles, no-out plays, no clutch headshots, no pre-nade. It's just run around and spray your AR and hope you land enough bullets to kill them. With BRs, losing your shield means something because you can be headshot, so it forces you move around the map smarter, challenge smarter, and position smarter. With ARs, there may as well not even be shields in the game, especially when somebody can run away easily and you can't hit them in the head.

If you find BR starts dull, you're probably playing it on one of Halo's wide array of terrible maps. BR starts on Warlock for example may as well be in Action Sack, but i wouldn't want to spawn with an SMG there either.

Not at all dude

All of what you just listed with the exception of cross map and headshots is still there, but that's replaced with other dyanmics

Maybe Halo isn't the series for you then.

Because I don't want it to go back to it's MLG playlist obsessed Halo 2 days?

//ARCANUM

Beta was working for me fine 30 mins ago, now when I try and launch it it says please try again, taking too long to start....

Just me?

Edit - hard reset fixed it.

Side note - why does the Xbox one forget wifi info after every hard reset? Pretty annoying having to enter that in all the time with the many hard resets that are necessary using this damn console.

Not at all dude

All of what you just listed with the exception of cross map and headshots is still there, but that's replaced with other dyanmics

other dynamics such as

running away
running away briskly
running away while floating
sliding away

this game needs BRs more than ever

Mayyhem

Could not have said it better myself

CONS: The sword is too bright and it's hard to see stuff.

PROS: Nolan North is always my teammate and says nice things.

It got pretty good once i acclimated to all the new stuff

link1201

Beta was working for me fine 30 mins ago, now when I try and launch it it says please try again, taking too long to start....

Just me?

Edit - hard reset fixed it.

Side note - why does the Xbox one forget wifi info after every hard reset? Pretty annoying having to enter that in all the time with the many hard resets that are necessary using this damn console.

I have never had to do this. Perhaps there's a setting in preferences?

Top Bottom