• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta Behind the Scenes (direct feed vidoc footage)

Looks way better than aspected in terms of gameplay. Could be really fun to kill all that sprinting noobs in MP. Thruster Pack could be really amazing - I really loved playing custom games with Evade in Reach.

But tackle and stomp seem to be really annoying noob abilities that could ruin the whole gameplay.

Yo that b roll footage is crazy conflicting

it looks like a game I'd try but yeah that shit's barely even Halo anymore

that announcer voice sounds like a goddamn South Park parody

fucking thank you ahahahahahahaha

I was watching it and when he was all

"Double Kyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyill"

I thought it was Cartman

"That's kyool! That's kyool! Whatever Keeyle!"

VariantX

I don't really hate the movement options as long as the maps are built to accomodate it. Dont really see the point of the ADS stuff and what it adds to the game if it dosen't improve accuracy. Hope that the ordinance drops are totally gone. Made zero sense for them to be in halo.

I don't really hate the movement options as long as the maps are built to accomodate it. Dont really see the point of the ADS stuff and what it adds to the game if it dosen't improve accuracy. Hope that the ordinance drops are totally gone. Made zero sense for them to be in halo.

drops are gone

Looks great. Looks like Halo. Plays like Halo. Yes, not exactly like Halo 2 or Halo 3. But they have kept the basics there while putting in new things for a new generation of gamers.

And, same loadouts, same abilities, level playing field is what we wanted. And that is in. No drops, no rewards for streaks except for the satisfaction that you are fucking awesome.

The Spartan abilities will make the cream of the crop stand out even more than the regular players. They seem very tactical in nature with them feeding off each other.

Vidpixel

For those who are curious, here are the default Halo 5 controls (from IGN's video preview):

goV2FRy.png

Leyasu

Banned
Looks great. Looks like Halo. Plays like Halo. Yes, not exactly like Halo 2 or Halo 3. But they have kept the basics there while putting in new things for a new generation of gamers.

And, same loadouts, same abilities, level playing field is what we wanted. And that is in. No drops, no rewards for streaks except for the satisfaction that you are fucking awesome.

The Spartan abilities will make the cream of the crop stand out even more than the regular players. They seem very tactical in nature with them feeding off each other.

Well said. Fuck me that looks amazing.

Controls seem really odd. Thruster Pack by clicking B? Crouch by right stick? Jumping by A? Really hope the controls will be customizable.

Just saw that theres a white bar above the shield that shows when your shield will start recharging. It resets completely when you start sprinting, but once the shield started to recharge you can start sprinting without cancelling the recharge

JimiNutz

Banned
This is what Halo 4 should have been! Looks like more of a natural evolution of Halo without breaking the core fundamentals of the gameplay.

Seriously hyped.

Looks better than I thought it would, so that's a nice surprise.

Thrusters need some penalty for use though, perhaps have them linked to shields? Using them drains a portion of your shields, that should stop people from spamming the hell out of them.

Sprint also needs a penalty, shields not recharging is a start, but there needs to be more done to stop people from spamming it continuously.

Apart from that, looks surprisingly decent. Quite like the ground pound, but as with thrusters and sprint, needs a penalty or long cooldown.

I think this looks pretty good, though I hear the arguement that the Spartains in multiplayer should be fast and agile as they're super soldiers, while that may make sense does it really benefit the gameplay? Halo's always been slow paced with vehicles acting as a fast way of traversal. Anyway I am looking forward to the beta and hope it exceeds expectations.

Looks a lot like the exo suit from COD AW. It does look like a fun multiplayer game.

I still don't think sprint or any abilities provided by the exo suit have a place in halo, but atleast they got rid of the perks and killstreaks from Halo 4, so it is kind of a step in the right direction.

Couple of things I have a problem with though:

1. The announcer is absolutely awful. He has progressively got worse through the 343 games (based on what I have seen of halo 2 anniversary) 343 need to go back to the bungie games and listen to what he is like there and just replicate it.

2. Hitmarkers - I hate these so I just want the option to turn them off.

3. The amount of audio and visual information coming to the player is ridiculous and is kinda frustrating. They need to tone it down - for example the guns sound effects when reloading are too much, and there are always weird mechanical sounds coming from the armour, just keep it simple.

Besides these looks like a fun game, albeit not quite the pure return to roots halo game everyone expected and wanted.

JonCha

The big question for me: do other modes have ordnance, and can abilities be changed out for other ones? If either of these things things are in, I'm out.

The big question for me: do other modes have ordnance, and can abilities be changed out for other ones? If either are hugeness things are in, I'm out.
Ordanance in bigger modes is not clear, at least all arena like modes dont have them.
The abilities are available to all players and can not be changed

Faith

Well, it's even further away from the core gameplay of Halo than Reach and Halo 4.

Guess I have to adapt to like it again.

vesvci

Banned
Hmm, it looks good. I'm actually hooked now, from what I've seen. I can definitely see some borrowing from Call of Duty (a lot from CoD)and TItanfall, and that's now a bad thing at all (IMO). It might turn off Halo purists tho.

Watched the footage, like some of the enw features and stuff, think the biggest challenge for me is going to be the smart scope stuff. I understand it won't behave like ADS, but with it on left trigger and almost every gun, I think you see a difference in the gameplay. Otherwise though, I never had a problem with armor abilities in Reach, so I'm definitely interested in an evolution of those, and I think if they're going to bother to have any sprint, it should be on everyone or no-one, so at least they've put it on, but gave a significant sacrifice. Most of all, I just think that they've tried to balance it so that people who do just scope and run will die a lot, but if you're going to load the features against people who want to play it like other games, why both putting them in at all? It'll only frustrate them, and this assumes it won't affect people who want something more traditional at all. Looks interesting though. And that announcer voice haha. Super OTT.

Pop

Well, it's even further away from the core gameplay of Halo than Reach and Halo 4.

Guess I have to adapt to like it again.

No it's not. Were some of you even watching and listening to what 343i was saying.

This is literally the modern evolution of H3. ADS doesn't bother me like it seems to do with the uninformed. Hip fire looks great and descoping people should be no problem.

Lol, sure thing bud. ADS, sprint, and a variety of in-game flight options don't modernize a shooter. You sound just like those moronic reviewers saying Halo 2 Anniversary feels slow and is too old.

To be fair, sprint has been trying to make its way into Halo since 2. I don't personally like it, but it's not like the idea of sprint wasn't there as far back as Halo 2, before CoD was the huge franchise it is inow.

How would we view Halo 2 if they had incorporated sprint?

I agree about ADS, but there are also signs of the classic Halo gameplay in there, so it's while there's reason to be cautious, there's also reason to be slightly more optimistic after this footage.

Not a fan of climbing or the thrusters though. The thrusters especially seems ripe for abuse and change the flow of the game too much. There also doesn't appear to be any negative to using them.

Alienous

I really want to see how they reacted when they found out they had inadvertently copied Call of Duty's new direction.

Literally everything the multiplayer designer has contributed to Halo is being done right now in Advanced Warfare.

taco543

Having read through all the responses, you definitely seem to be in the minority. I realize we must all wish it was still 2004 and Spartans still speed-walked leisurely around the map, but maybe--maybe--some of the self-professed diehards should give the game a chance and actually play it before kicking over the magazine rack in disgust.

Really. I think at this point, it's either suck it up and give 343 a chance or...I dunno...don't let the door hit your ass on the way out?
ill admit i dont like 343, at all, but i am getting MCC and the betas coming in it so i cant really say halo 5 is shit from just seeing it you gotta play it first to see if that balance and fluidity is in fact there. so all though right now i am a part of the minority december 29 is what will decide if halo 5 is genuinely worth my hard earned moneys.

also i stll cant get over the fact that the new announcer sounds like hes just mocking the old one lol

Vidpixel

Seriously though, the best news about Halo 5 all day long for me: the absence of differing loadouts from player-to-player. I cannot stress enough how happy I am that everyone will be starting out on a completely even playing field.

Top Bottom