• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leyasu

Banned
I like coliseum for just about everything. Also Truth is fun.

Coliseum is a great map. Fathom is also an instant classic imo. I have got to say it, but I really like all the arena maps. Fathom wins by a "great" though. I would like to see what btb maps they could cook up in house and not forged..

Sai

the rig is fine. its FAR better than lockout which is literally pinging shots between 3 towers. the rig, from my experience, plays almost nothing like that. perhaps i'm playing wrong, or it devolves into that at higher tiers?
No. Based on what little I've played, I'd say the layout generally encourages folks to keep moving around the map. Some will linger near the Sniper Rifle for a bit, but I haven't seen anybody camp it.

Aesthetics aside, I think The Rig plays well. Though I can see how those who don't take too well to the way you move around in Halo 5 wouldn't appreciate it.

How do people feel about the new arena map?

I'm not a fan, the corridors are way to small and it just seems like a nade spam fest.

If you're standing around long enough to have a nade spam war you're playing Overgrowth wrong. You should have jumped out a window to go flank long before that. I never stop moving on that map.

Strider

I'd say there is more movement on Rig slayer when I'm not playing against a party but whenever I do...

They set their team up in Tower 2 and Engine 2 with the Sniper in bunker. This gives them BRs plus easy vision of Sniper spawn, Plasma Caster spawn, Camo and Scattershot spawn.

They always get sniper and camo when it spawns because they easily kill anyone that attempts to go for it and there's no good way to really push in on them. So basically it becomes a camp fest

Sai

I'd say there is more movement on Rig slayer when I'm not playing against a party but whenever I do...

They set their team up in Tower 2 and Engine 2 with the Sniper in bunker. This gives them BRs plus easy vision of Sniper spawn, Plasma Caster spawn, Camo and Scattershot spawn.

They always get sniper and camo when it spawns because they easily kill anyone that attempts to go for it and there's no good way to really push in on them.
Uh... Haven't experienced that. I've seen folks linger near the Sniper Rifle spawn, so I guess I've just seen them try. But, it seems like a team would only be able to get away with that if they had a clear edge to begin with.

Ramirez

I still say The Rig's only problem is a lack of a competent power weapon where the Caster currently is. Like Strider said, there's no reason to move from that back area once you have control of it.

TCKaos

Here's something super cool: In Forge, you begin play as a monitor. Monitors cannot spawn at initial spawns, only respawn points, though this is only the case in Halo 5.

I was in the process of making spawns for my completely finished Blood Gulch remake, but can no longer edit it because it only has initial spawns and not respawn points.

So that's a thing. Probably a horrific oversight that there aren't any hardcoded respawn points like there have been in every other game so far. Somebody should probably get on that. That's ten hours of work down the drain.

At least on Glacier.

Madness

Played two doubles matches, got Rig both games. First game my cousin and me destroyed, second game we got destroyed. I think power weapons need to be different to dissuade hiding and running for doubles. If one team is competent with sniper they can pretty much lock up several kills and control a large area of the map. I mean active camo in doubles is already an issue with the ease of escape in this game, especially once someone establishes the lead.

Trup1aya

Just search Rig and read about everything that's been posted if you missed it. Been discussed a bunch. A few like the map but most don't... Many people have dropped suggestions on how to improve it. The main one I've seen is replacing the Plasma caster with a more powerful/useful weapon to force players from camping on the inside portion of the map as much.

I don't see the need for stuff like this and the "everything makes sense" line... All I did was drop a dota 2 emoticon lol Sorry if the message came out wrong but all I did was disagree with you. I'm not attacking you or anything....

I prefered BR starts because I felt like it gave me at least somewhat of a fighting chance if I spawned lift side.

One team spawns library and instantly grabs sniper, sword and a BR... They use those to take a lead and then camp it out.

I mentioned it played better with no radar because then you could possibly use shotgun to get close without being noticed and turn the tides... but with radar it's an incredibly tough task especially if you're spawning with SMGs

If I recall correctly both sides spawned with a BR, and with a single Granade or a few pistol shots it was pretty easy to deny the sniper from the team that spawns on that side.

Strider

If I recall correctly both sides spawned with a BR, and with a single Granade or a few pistol shots it was pretty easy to deny the sniper from the team that spawns on that side.

I'm not talking about right off spawn. Team that spawns inside doesn't have the power weapons right away so of course it's easier to contest. I'm talking about once one team does have sniper controlled and when they do get set up... That doesn't happen instantly but it does happen rather quickly.

The team that spawns outside does have time to contest the first wave of camop/sniper and whatever else... They also can quickly an easily grab scattershot off spawn. But once a team gets a hold on weapons they move inside and they stay there.

Sorry, sleepy angry morning! But honestly, I'm curious which maps are universally loved in Halo 5. What is Halo 5's Haven?

Coliseum, Fathom, Truth and Regret are the best maps.

Plaza and Empire are alright.

Rig and Eden are bad.

Pegasus and Orion are terrible.

Too early to tell with Overgrowth, but early impressions aren't promising. It's very pretty though.

Do you love or hate this game? Or perhaps, should i press play on that slow jam "its a thing line between love and hate?"

:p Turn them on

It's a love/hate relationship. The core gameplay at the heart of it is probably the best shooter I've ever played. Honestly. The movement and mobility are sublime, the weapons are balanced and fun to use, the TTK feels just perfect.

There's just a lot of stuff wrapped around that core I find infuriating.

The controller update has helped A LOT.

And yes, I am turning them on, I just thought it was kind of funny that the first two new items I get are for a feature I've turned off for efficiency.

You were almost a MeanBean Machine in that clip.

Trup1aya

I'm not talking about right off spawn. Team that spawns inside doesn't have the power weapons right away so of course it's easier to contest. I'm talking about once one team does have sniper controlled and when they do get set up... That doesn't happen instantly but it does happen rather quickly.

The team that spawns outside does have time to contest the first wave of camop/sniper and whatever else... They also can quickly an easily grab scattershot off spawn. But once a team gets a hold on weapons they move inside and they stay there.

I see, I just don't recall this being a major issue before BR starts came along.

As shitty as SMG starts were in hindsight, they allowed folks to get in close.

Strider

I see, I just don't recall this being a major issue before BR starts came along.

As shitty as SMG starts were in hindsight, they allowed folks to get in close.

Oh shit were u talking about lockout? I thought we were talking about rig just then. My bad rofl

I got mixed up. The post you quoted had me talking about both rig and lockout so I looked at the wrong one XD whoops

jem0208

Coliseum, Fathom, Truth and Regret are the best maps.

Plaza and Empire are alright.

Rig and Eden are bad.

Pegasus and Orion are terrible.

Too early to tell with Overgrowth, but early impressions aren't promising. It's very pretty though.

Nah.

Truth is the best map.

Coliseum, Eden and Fathom are great.

Plaza and Empire are good.

Regret and Pegasus are meh.

Orion is bad.

Rig is fantastic for strongholds but sucks for every other mode.

Overgrowth desperately needs the weapons changed.

Strider

I'll admit to having not played much of Rig strongholds though. Maybe 5 matches are so... Idk never really playedall that great from my experience though.

I like the map in theory. Seems the best/easiest 2 bases to hold are Nest and basement but while holding them you give up the advantageous inside of the map where the sniper and camo spawn. Pretty interesting.

But I've played ~75 or so slayer matches on Rig which is more than enough to know it's dumpster tier for that game type.

jem0208

I'll admit to having not played much of Rig strongholds though. Maybe 5 matches are so... Idk never really playedall that great from my experience though.

I like the map in theory. Seems the best 2 bases to hold are Nest and basement but while holding them you give up the advantageous inside of the map where the sniper and camo spawn. Pretty interesting.

But I've played ~75 or so slayer matches on Rig which is more than enough to know it's dumpster tier for that game type.

Yeah, Nest and Basement is usually the best strategy to use. Nest and BR base is pretty good to hold as well.

Trup1aya

Oh shit were u talking about lockout? I thought we were talking about rig just then. My bad rofl

I got mixed up. The post you quoted had me talking about both rig and lockout so I looked at the wrong one XD whoops

Lol ok yeah I see where that mixup occurred... When you said 'scattershot' I assumed you meant shotgun lol.

I do like rig though... Only for strong holds... It's terrible for slayer... Terrible.

Yes setting up inside is fairly easy to do. I think they put the plasma caster outside, to breakup the setups, but 1) it's a pretty terrible power weapon and 2) it's easy for the inside setup to deny access to nest anyway.

Strongholds doesn't have that problem, because they have to contest at least one of the outside locations at all times.

Truth is the best map.

Agreed, it's one of if not the best.

Coliseum, Eden and Fathom are great.

I dislike Eden. The layout is fine, but the weapon placement is dumb IMO. Giving one team the Hyrdra off spawn and the other the sniper rifle is not a reasonable counter-balance. On an open map, anything that allows one player to engage at longer range with a hit-scan weapon needs to be an equally viable pick-up for both teams from the get go. In customs we played around with putting the sniper where the shotgun spawns, the Hydra where the sniper spawns, and the shotgun where the hydra spawns, and everybody had way more fun.

Plaza and Empire are good.

Plaza COULD be great if it wasn't filled with so much utterly useless geometry for players to get caught on in the middle of fire-fights. I'd also put more/better power-weapons on the bottom street level (where the middle stronghold point is). It's such an open area, and as a result pretty much nobody goes down there, since there's little reason too. It may as well be lava, players just bounce along the tops of cars and awnings to get to cover and higher ground quicker.

Empire is good, but it's pretty funny how pretty much nobody picks up the plasma launcher. Everybody rushes OV, then shotgun or DMR.

Regret and Pegasus are meh.

I love Regret. It's one of the few maps, like Coliseum and Truth, where it feels like every area of the map gets played on. Movement both vertically and around the maps is fluid and natural, there are quick routes everywhere.

Pegasus is terrible.

Orion is bad.

Agreed.

Rig is fantastic for strongholds but sucks for every other mode.

Yeah, I guess I could get behind this.

Overgrowth desperately needs the weapons changed.

To what though? It's such a close quarters, corridor-heavy map, it's not as though long range weapons would make for a better experience.

mcrommert

Banned
I still say The Rig's only problem is a lack of a competent power weapon where the Caster currently is. Like Strider said, there's no reason to move from that back area once you have control of it.

Follow the lead of social...replace all casters with railgun

For any long time Forge users, is there an easy way to just clear the starting canvas? I'm in paralax and it starts with a big floor full of spawn points and everything, I want it all gone.

Yooooo ...

My aim is back!!

Accell 2
Sensiv 4
Inner dead 0
Outer 8

Still need to adjust to long distance.. But i played swat and arena.

I haven't tinkered with anything yet but seeing all of this talk about the deadzone fixes has me interested in trying out you guys settings.

I actually like the current default controls though tbh but I'd like to see if this improves on my aim movements and such.

Btw, Battle of Noctus and Overgrowth are pretty great. Especially BoN. Probably some of the most fun I've had in the limited Warzone games I've played has been in this one. They need more like it in the coming months.

Great job 343.

Or just buff the caster. It's currently ignored by everyone noob to pro. But a covie grenade launcher should be an awesome addition to the sandbox.

I feel like the equivalent weapon in Reach was a lot more fun to use.

Increase range and homing of the primary fire grenades, return the ability for them to stick to walls and players, allow Spartan Dash to break lock-on.

JackHerer

I haven't tinkered with anything yet but seeing all of this talk about the deadzone fixes has me interested in trying out you guys settings.

I actually like the current default controls though tbh but I'd like to see if this improves on my aim movements and such.

Btw, Battle of Noctus and Overgrowth are pretty great. Especially BoN. Probably some of the most fun I've had in the limited Warzone games I've played has been in this one. They need more like it in the coming months.

Great job 343.

Definitely reduce your Deadzone as much as possible. If you like the current controls just keep acceleration at 3 (although I recommend trying 2) but there is no reason not to fix the shitty inner deadzone in this game.

Only played Noctus once (nice map so far) but I am so bored of Warzone on the launch maps that I havent been inclined to search it that much. It needs to have a higher weighting for the first week. Overgrowth may be even worse than Plaza from what I've played. Tight corridors do not play well in this game. So much made spam. Sword AND Shotty was a horrendous decision as well. Like, seriously guys? Who thought that was a good idea.

Whoever does the power weapon set up for each map (if it's one person) needs to reconsider their philosophy.

Increase range and homing of the primary fire grenades, return the ability for them to stick to walls and players, allow Spartan Dash to break lock-on.

I feel like the Hydra is actually more functionally similar to the plasma launcher, albeit much weaker. The lock-on of the Hydra always reminded me of the PL. I guess the primary fire of the caster is similar though with non homing plasmas if I remember correctly. Actually it's almost like they split it into two weapons. Too bad they both kind of suck.

I always loved that weapon even if it was kinda OP at times. On the other hand, the grenade launcher is still the best designed weapon in Reach. Would love to see it return.

jem0208

Agreed, it's one of if not the best.

I dislike Eden. The layout is fine, but the weapon placement is dumb IMO. Giving one team the Hyrdra off spawn and the other the sniper rifle is not a reasonable counter-balance. On an open map, anything that allows one player to engage at longer range with a hit-scan weapon needs to be an equally viable pick-up for both teams from the get go. In customs we played around with putting the sniper where the shotgun spawns, the Hydra where the sniper spawns, and the shotgun where the hydra spawns, and everybody had way more fun.
If you make an aggressive push you can usually deny or at least delay them the sniper, I do agree the weapon placement could do with some work though. However, I think the solid layout makes up for it.

Plaza COULD be great if it wasn't filled with so much utterly useless geometry for players to get caught on in the middle of fire-fights. I'd also put more/better power-weapons on the bottom street level (where the middle stronghold point is). It's such an open area, and as a result pretty much nobody goes down there, since there's little reason too. It may as well be lava, players just bounce along the tops of cars and awnings to get to cover and higher ground quicker.
I quite like the focus on the upper sections of the level. If you learn some good jumps you can use the bottom middle area for some really sneaky routes though.

I've never really had an issue with the useless geometry.

Empire is good, but it's pretty funny how pretty much nobody picks up the plasma launcher. Everybody rushes OV, then shotgun or DMR.
Yeah, I think the fact that it's not obviously easy to get kills with means pretty much everyone ignores it. It's a very good weapon if people are camping in the tower though.

I love Regret. It's one of the few maps, like Coliseum and Truth, where it feels like every area of the map gets played on. Movement both vertically and around the maps is fluid and natural, there are quick routes everywhere.
Eh, I find that it's too segmented, sightlines are pretty bad and it doesn't seem to flow that well. That said I haven't played it that much other than in SWAT.

Pegasus is terrible.
I wouldn't say it's terrible but it's definitely not good.

To what though? It's such a close quarters, corridor-heavy map, it's not as though long range weapons would make for a better experience.
That's exactly why you don't want lots of close quarters weapons. Shotguns, swords, camo and radar on a map with lots of corners just leads loads of camping and cheap tactics.

Put a sniper, plasma caster and maybe OS on the map and it would play a lot better.

Ramirez

The Hydra on Eden is easily the best map for it in the game, as far as the Arena maps go. Eden is probably my favorite map in the game. I kinda wish they'd add the OS/Camo into the Slayer map as well. It has great weapon placement that forces you to constantly move around the map.

I don't think any of the Arena maps are bad, just some could benefit greatly from different powerups/weapons.

Trup1aya

I agree with everything you just said!

First time for everything I guess lol

The Hydra on Eden is easily the best map for it in the game, as far as the Arena maps go. Eden is probably my favorite map in the game. I kinda wish they'd add the OS/Camo into the Slayer map as well. It has great weapon placement that forces you to constantly move around the map.

I don't think any of the Arena maps are bad, just some could benefit greatly from different powerups/weapons.

Eden is also the best Arena map in the game for the sniper (excluding Pegasus, maybe).

All things being equal (including the aiming skill of the players in question), the sniper is a more effective weapon than the Hydra.

I'm fine with the Hydra being on the map. I just don't like that the snipe spawns so close to one team.

That's exactly why you don't want lots of close quarters weapons. Shotguns, swords, camo and radar on a map with lots of corners just leads loads of camping and cheap tactics.

Put a sniper, plasma caster and maybe OS on the map and it would play a lot better.

I just feel like the entire design focus of Overgrowth is to encourage close-combat encounters. And using the sniper in close combat isn't really ideal.

Yes, putting long range weapons in a close-confines map can help stretch out engagements a bit, but ultimately you're not getting the most out of the sandbox.

Plasma Caster WOULD actually be a good fit on Overgrowth. And I'd take the OS over the camo.

Both the Sword and the Shotgun in addition to camo is madness.

Are requisitions straight up not working for anybody else?

Like when I'm respawning in Warzone, where it says Y for REQs, it's just the spinning, loading icon and you can't get to your stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom