• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joining into progress for my first match in a ranked gametype, being so far down and such a shitshow match, I just turned off console. Don't have time to deal with this stupidity. If you're going to add JiP because you still haven't found a meaningful way to penalize or prevent quitters, give me the toggle option to prioritize fair start matches or join in Progress fast matches. Especially for a fucking ranked game type. Why even have ranks for BTB if you're doing this?

Right, or just say that if you jip then your rank isn't impacted. Everyone's a winner.

Caja 117

Someone got paid to make this?

To understand him you need to know that even if he likes the game he will nitpick those small details to joke about them that his MO, go See his reviews for Halo 3 Halo Reach, he did say there were good games, but he goes to the things he didn't like and make them the crux of his segment, I have follow him for years and it has never been something I took as part of my purchase decision, he is a lot of time funny, but Like Frank says he barely talks about the game in this one, so there is little comedy here to be found.

Well if it didn't play good it wouldn't be Headlong :p

(I basically have a nerd boner for that map. IMHO it's the most perfect map Bungie ever made. It's a map that works for almost everything)
Its my favorite BTB map in Halo as well. It's such a joy to play in Halo 5. Props to the guy who made it, he did a really good job.

jem0208

Hopefully they start adding texture options to forge pieces.

There's a legit reason for not having textures. Now that forge pieces can be made to intersect any textures which aren't super simple get cut off at the intersection and it can look really janky.

Here's an example in H4:
Screenshot-Original.png

H5's solution obviously comes with the drawback that it can look quite plain, however personally I quite like the really clean style. Basin for example looks really good:

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

7pMl2v3.jpg

I finally get lucky enough to get a Legendary armor after over 100 hours of gameplay and opening packs and it's the fucking GameStop preorder bonus.

343, please don't make such high-tier-of-rarity armors the bonuses in the future. I would be overjoyed to have Locke's helmet if everyone and his grandma didn't have it, it's got the rarity of an uncommon at this point.

I keep fucking kicking myself too, I could have gotten BUCK'S HELMET. OR FRED'S. That would have been NUTS, I would be the only person I've seen in 100 hours to have one of those. In fact, it is statistically more likely that I would have gotten the helmet of any other campaign character since everyone but Locke has 2 variants. And yet I get "lucky" enough to get Locke's.

I would have been happy to have any other Legendary helmet (besides the skins of more common helmets), but I suppose not.

The point of a super-rare cosmetic is to separate you from the rest, to make it visually obvious that you have invested a lot of time (or money :p) into a game. Yes, it's all luck, but the odds are astronomically low that you will get Legendary gear at SR-1 with no unlocks. The only reason I'm starting to get stuff like this is because I have about 100 of the 175 helmets and body armors and so the Ultra Rares (and Legendaries hopefully) are starting to appear in my Gold packs.

I would trade this Mythic Legendary unlock for the Ultra Rare Gungnir or Venator helmet, they're rarer than Locke's despite them being a lower tier of rarity by 343's definition.

Yes I know it's just pointless armor. Yes, I DEFINITELY care about this too much. It just sucks to come so close to getting something that less than 5% of players have, and then be given what is essentially an Uncommon masquerading as an item of the highest rarity in the entire game.

Sorry for the rant. At least BTB is a lot of fun.

Caja 117

....Reach forge had really nice pieces if you knew how to coordinate. I'm definitely not crazy. I've been an avid forger for 7 years and have built many popular maps, namely in Reach.

I'm not saying the tools in reach were better as they were not.

And I have been playing on Halo forge maps since 8 years and alongside the Sandbox forge, Forge World was just as bad with everything is grey coloring, and lets not get into the terrible Framerate drops that came with Forge World.

Those Remakes in Reach were bad, My eyes bleed gray every time I finished a section of MLG Sanctuary, which was the most decent version of that remake.

matthieuC

And I have been playing on Halo forge maps since 8 years and alongside the Sandbox forge, Forge World was just as bad with everything is grey coloring, and lets not get into the terrible Framerate drops that came with Forge World.

Those Remakes in Reach were bad, My eyes bleed gray every time I finished a section of MLG Sanctuary, which was the most decent version of that remake.
I mean yeah reach maps could look ugly if you didn't know how to use the pieces in the right way. I agree, MLG Sanc was an ugly map, but have you seen other renditions of it? People have made it look amazing in Reach.

Glass

7pMl2v3.jpg

343, please don't make such high-tier-of-rarity armors the bonuses in the future. I would be overjoyed to have Locke's helmet if everyone and his grandma didn't have it, it's got the rarity of an uncommon at this point.

Even as someone with that exact pre-order bonus I agree with this. Having rarity items in game means you need to uphold the tear system if you want to keep people caring about some made up rare item, and giving away Legendary stuff kind of undermines it imo.

Also why aren't rarity colours displayed on the armour customisation screens? Such a simple addition but it re-iterates the collect-ability of it all.

Madness

Halo is dead again. Madness confirmed.

I think you are one of the worst posters I've met yet. I honestly think you are a troll with a grin on his face who has nothing to do except take whatever is the opposite opinion going on. You and another MK coffee drinker are the sole reason I never joined the other site. I gave you the benefit of the doubt before, but I don't know if you remember me saying I had enough, and you replied 'Oh noes what will I do without madness seal of approval' so why do you keep replying to my messages? You are on my ignore list, which is so far and few, it consists of people I just cannot digest reading a single thing from. So have you not gotten the hint you are on ignore? Especially after the last round of messages where you replied several times to my posts about UI and gamer tag visibility and didn't get a single response from me? So chill. Reply or joke with someone else.

Edit: I'm probably on several ignore lists as well with my long winded diatribes so have at it for everyone who agrees. I know a lot of people can't stand reading my posts either.

Even as someone with that exact pre-order bonus I agree with this. Having rarity items in game means you need to uphold the tear system if you want to keep people caring about some made up rare item, and giving away Legendary stuff kind of undermines it imo.

Also why aren't rarity colours displayed on the armour customisation screens? Such a simple addition but it re-iterates the collect-ability of it all.

I'm wishing I preordered from GS just so this pack would have had a REAL Mythic Legendary... so frustrating.

Caja 117

I mean yeah reach maps could look ugly if you didn't know how to use the pieces in the right way. I agree, MLG Sanc was an ugly map, but have you seen other renditions of it? People have made it look amazing in Reach.

I have, but the others came with noticeable framedrops when it came to split screen, MLG needed maps that did Splitscreeen because a lot of game not on main stage were played in 2 players split screen. that Map went trough a lot of variation, including in what part of the Forgeworld map it was made off.

The problem with forgeworld was the over abundance of Grey and that framerate drop that could come with them, the color part was the same exact problem with Sandbox, and the reason why IMO, it wasnt better than Foundry despite Foundry been a small area of forge.

splattered

I am planning on purchasing the Warzone REQ bundle soon but not exactly sure on how it is supposed to work... these are "premium" packs that I get to open twice a week?

Are the items inside pulling from a separate REQ loot pool or just the overall REQ pool? Should I have a certain number of unlocks already out of the way before I start opening the premium packs to try and guarantee better pulls or do I just say F-it and open them as allowed?

If i'm gonna spend $25 on this up-front I want to try to get best possible returns.

JackHerer

Ok, the Headlong remake is awesome and plays really well in H5. Now we just need Assault and one-flag game types.

I am still pretty salty about the map situation in general. BTB got shafted to make way for Warzone and the extra profit that brings and I really don't like it. From watching The Sprint it seems that this is it for BTB. One of the devs says that they are doing BTB in Forge, making it seem like all DLC will be split between 4v4 and Warzone. We know we can already expect more Forge maps.

What we got looks good for Forge but I can't help but think what could've been. That said, I'm glad BTB is back and will play the hell out of it despite the lack of real non-forge maps.

BraXzy

I am planning on purchasing the Warzone REQ bundle soon but not exactly sure on how it is supposed to work... these are "premium" packs that I get to open twice a week?

Are the items inside pulling from a separate REQ loot pool or just the overall REQ pool? Should I have a certain number of unlocks already out of the way before I start opening the premium packs to try and guarantee better pulls or do I just say F-it and open them as allowed?

If i'm gonna spend $25 on this up-front I want to try to get best possible returns.

They are basically slightly better Gold packs. No unique loot pool or anything. So you're best off getting a bunch of uncommons/rares from Bronze and Silver before you open them imo. I've learnt my lesson :3

There's a legit reason for not having textures. Now that forge pieces can be made to intersect any textures which aren't super simple get cut off at the intersection and it can look really janky.

Here's an example in H4:
Screenshot-Original.png

H5's solution obviously comes with the drawback that it can look quite plain, however personally I quite like the really clean style. Basin for example looks really good:

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

That ground texture with no grass is a real bummer.

Obscured

Haven't really played enough BTB to get anything more than a gut feel

Recurve doesn't really feel like it has enough space for vehicles.

Basin is nice, open yet still some cover to move along. The bases are simple, not sure if that is a knock on them or not.

Deadlock feels like Standoff, though Warthogs are not as dominant.

Guillotine feels gigantic. From the initial screenshots I thought I would dislike the look of this one the most, but it is working for me.

One thing about the matches I've played so far, get a team together and you are going to steamroll hard.

Unrelated, but I don't understand what math the KDA is using during matches.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Screenshot-Original.png

See, the base looks pretty nice there, but man, those ground and rock textures...

I hope 343 makes some BTB maps themselves. Or at least re-purposes some Warzone map segments into BTB maps.

Trup1aya

For as bland as the Forge textures are compared to the dev maps... The visual clarity is and classic halo levels of excellent.

No squinting neccisary!

The headlong map looks much better in motion. If they lost the white stripes and had a proper asphalt textured it would be just fine.

I lost the page I had bookmarked, did the patch hit to fix the aim as well as btb maps?

Was there any patch notes or is it just that twitter post from a few days back still?

splattered

They are basically slightly better Gold packs. No unique loot pool or anything. So you're best off getting a bunch of uncommons/rares from Bronze and Silver before you open them imo. I've learnt my lesson :3

Man that makes me wonder if they're even worth the money then? I thought for sure they would have a higher chance at Legendaries... the description even mentions "Mythics" ??

I found another xenomorph metal figure but in the last mission with Osiris. It's right next to a covy intel. That makes 4 total xenomorph I've found so far in the game.

Haines

Banned
Elite controller here

Can anybody reccomend me settings and configurations please

It would seriously make my life so much easier right now.

Elite controller here

Can anybody reccomend me settings and configurations please

It would seriously make my life so much easier right now.

I would pick a default you enjoy and map anything that's on face buttons that you can do while aiming to the paddles. E.g. thruster, sprint with Bumper Jumper.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
750 req points for a BTB match seems like a mistake. Should at least be the same as regular games of Arena and Slayer.

BraXzy

Man that makes me wonder if they're even worth the money then? I thought for sure they would have a higher chance at Legendaries... the description even mentions "Mythics" ??

I can't decide if it was worth the purchase tbh, I think it's down to whether or not you're happy paying that much to support the game and maybe get some awesome stuff. If need be, grind bronzes and silvers first and hey ho. Or if you aren't that bothered and maybe just buy a couple Gold's or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom