• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

It's not half working or unreliable.

It's very simple, if you're just moving around the map then you don't show up. If you sprint or shoot (or stabilize) you do.

Oh I'm well aware of how it works. I just feel like it's a half measure. Either give me the Halo radar we've always had or take it away and truly force the top level team call outs. At least in that environment you're not punished even more for sprinting.

Which I know a lot of people want it simply to make sprint so unusable that it's essentially removed from gameplay. But I've had many classic trilogy fans tell me that the lack of shield recharge was sufficiently punishing enough. Which I agreed with.

Like I said, I don't enjoy having an altered radar. It's an either/or situation for me, personally.

Edit: I will say it feels particularly blinding when you're in a close combat situation. Shit I'd rather have at least a Destiny style radar instead of nothing when you're up close. The field of view can leave two Spartans spinning around while trying to fight and dodge.

E92 M3

Leave it to 343 to fuck up one of the best game modes in Halo. You get 5 points for suiciding in Oddball!

They have "endless" funds from Microsoft and can barely do anything right.

No idea why Phil hasn't stepped in yet.

Akai__

Because games are still a business and as long as games sell well, nobody in the higher positions cares about your opinion. Nobody will step in, because some people are mad over something. All they see is 5+ million copies sold and microtransactions that make them more money than any regular DLC release.

---

In other news... 343i will be at RTX: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/halo-at-rtx-2017

Trup1aya

Leave it to 343 to fuck up one of the best game modes in Halo. You get 5 points for suiciding in Oddball!

Because games are still a business and as long as games sell well, nobody in the higher positions cares about your opinion. Nobody will step in, because some people are mad over something. All they see is 5+ million copies sold and microtransactions that make them more money than any regular DLC release.

---

In other news... 343i will be at RTX: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/halo-at-rtx-2017

We really don't know if Phil "stepped in" or not.

I'm sure management wasn't happy about H4's retention (and resulting DLC sales). Or MCC. Or H5s comparative decline in sales. They probably ARE happy with MTs, but they also know MTs would have been better if the game sold more. They probably don't like that the IPs value is apparently reduced, or the negativity that hovers over more recent installments. They probably didnt like the the investment in halo esports resulted in balloon-gate.

I dunno, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a decent amount of concern coming from the hire ups. It is their most important IP after all.

I'm sure management wasn't happy about H4's retention (and resulting DLC sales). Or MCC. Or H5s comparative decline in sales. They probably ARE happy with MTs, but they also know MTs would have been better if the game sold more. They probably don't like that the IPs value is apparently reduced, or the negativity that hovers over more recent installments. They probably didnt like the the investment in halo esports resulted in balloon-gate.

I dunno, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a decent amount of concern coming from the hire ups. It is their most important IP after all.

I think there's a reason we didn't see Halo 6 at E3 this year, hopefully it's because they're listening to criticism and re-working the game a bit. Open ended campaign levels, old art style and no sprint would excite people. 343i can't afford another hit to the franchise.

You sure it wasn't something like the resulting free fall off the map gave them a couple extra seconds with the ball? Or was it exactly five extra points?

343i can really make it feel like amateur hour sometimes, which is unfortunate as I think they're every bit capable of making a good Halo game in all aspects. Hopefully they take their time with 6. Jank like that could be avoided if they officially supported staple gametypes.

BizzyBum

Hey man, the intern they left to run Halo 5 is doing the best job he can.

Trup1aya

GDRQh29.gif

In all seriousness though, I'm really excited about the format changes for EUs halo scene. I'd love for US to follow suit, but given that Fall Finals is still Dreamhack, I assume ESL is still going Run US fall season and do things the way they've been doing it.

E92 M3

---

Halo, could be doing MUCH better.

I think management is one of the biggest problems for 343. The top people have no idea what Halo should be.

You sure it wasn't something like the resulting free fall off the map gave them a couple extra seconds with the ball? Or was it exactly five extra points?

Yeah, that's what we all hoped haha.

Hey man, the intern they left to run Halo 5 is doing the best job he can.

That feel when it's not an intern....

Did you guys know there's honeycombs on the Halo 5 overshield? It's hard to see on the sub 1080 resolution, but is prevalent when playing Halo 5 Forge in 4K.

Fuchsdh

Honeycomb is okay, it's just far too dense on those particular visors.

Here there's some subtlety and it looks fine.

Again, these are models and art for an RTS. They are supposed to exaggerated, not "subtle" because otherwise you wouldn't see shit on the little cards on your screen and in-game.

Trup1aya

I think management is one of the biggest problems for 343. The top people have no idea what Halo should be.

Reading that behind the scenes of halo was truly eye opening.

It's was interesting to read about how important maintaining halo's key elements were to the new studio, and then look back at the game that actually released.

Returning characters ... check
Returning weapons ... check
Returning enemies ... check
Returning health model ... check

Ok we've got the core, now let's go make "our game"

A total whiff on understanding. The ousted creative director refered to the resulting Halo 4 as being "too safe". Translation: he had no clue what made the franchise special, but he was somehow headhunted for the top job.

I look at halo 5 and I see the return of a many of the elements I held most dear. That's why it's my most played halo game since H2. But when I look at that GDC and I see that "trends" and "adherence to a theme" guides how they choose to "innovate", rather than maximizing existing strengths and minimizing weaknesses, I realize they still don't quite get it. When I see that Sprint was included because other games were doing it, not because it made Halo better, I feel like they don't get it. It makes me wonder, Did we get even starts back because they understand why it's better for the sandbox, Or did we get it back because H4 died in 2 weeks?

I just wish they knew what to do instead of having to be told...

Edit: man I like Halo 5. I'm glad SOMEONE is still making Halo games after Bungie's departure. I keep circling around to being negative because I want so desperately for Halo to have another Acclaimed Title. We are close, but... damn

Gwyn

Yep same here, i like phil but when i read stuff like this... smh

Phil on backwards comp

"I look at video games as an art form. I'll go back and I'll watch Gone with the Wind, Citizen Kane. I'll read The Lord of the Rings, I'll listen to early Rolling Stones or Zeppelin albums. I think it's important that art media lives with us, and we learn from it, and I think games are the same. Not every game, just like not every album, is a perfect work of art. But the fact that these games are still playable and are foundational to a lot of what we play today I think is a good thing for us to keep close as an industry and to learn from."

"Things like Tetris. Should people be able to play Tetris? Absolutely. These was something kind of magical about what that was, and people still play that game. Minecraft was first launched in 2009 and here we are eight years later and it's bigger than it's ever been. I don't think it's a good thing when games become unplayable for technical reasons. It doesn't mean everybody should go back and play every game, but I want those games to be accessible."

Looks like he forgot that MCC exists and that halo is what made xbox succesful

I keep circling around to being negative because I want so desperately for Halo to have another Acclaimed Title. We are close, but... damn

I don't think this is a bad thing at all, especially when there's a Halo game currently in development. Now's the time to complain about art style, sprint and smart scope. Of course those criticisms have gone on predating Halo 5's release. I hope they listened.

On the subject of sprint specifically, I feel 343 has been bullheaded on this front. While they're receptive on other criticisms, it feels like they won't engage in conversation about this particular issue. It's clearly there to chase tropes, checking the enhanced movement off of the list. When a new mechanic fundamentally breaks some of your most iconic maps in multiplayer (Lockout, Guardian) and maps like that are no longer possible within the sandbox, you should probably take a step back and rethink it's implementation within the game. As a comparison, thruster wouldn't break classic maps in the way sprint does, and any negatives thruster may bring can be adjusted with small tweaks. Sprint you have to change the scale or design drastically, that's not OK.

Nowise10

Yeah I saw that video of suicides giving your team 5 seconds to the score, and gotta say their play-testing team needs to step it up because it is just unacceptable. It gets really tiring seeing issues with everything 343 for does.

I played Halo 4 yesterday and had a flashback to when 343 updated the game, and essentially made it so you couldn't play campaign for about 3+ weeks, because if you did, the game would delete all of your loadouts for multiplayer.

Cranster

Banned
I think there's a reason we didn't see Halo 6 at E3 this year, hopefully it's because they're listening to criticism and re-working the game a bit. Open ended campaign levels, old art style and no sprint would excite people. 343i can't afford another hit to the franchise.
There is that voice acting strike aswell that Steve Downes, Jen Taylor and Jennifer Hale all are supporting so no matter how far in development they are with Halo 6 they will not have any voice recordings for the game yet.

Atleast 343i are adding more content at no charge to you.

Trup1aya

On the subject of sprint specifically, I feel 343 has been bullheaded on this front. While they're receptive on other criticisms, it feels like they won't engage in conversation about this particular issue. It's clearly there to chase tropes, checking the enhanced movement off of the list. When a new mechanic fundamentally breaks some of your most iconic maps in multiplayer (Lockout, Guardian) and maps like that are no longer possible within the sandbox, you should probably take a step back and rethink it's implementation within the game. As a comparison, thruster wouldn't break classic maps in the way sprint does, and any negatives thruster may bring can be adjusted with small tweaks. Sprint you have to change the scale or design drastically, that's not OK.

It's crazy to me that they'd dramatically change the sandbox by rethinking how weapons are balanced, how the aiming system functions, how maps are designed and how vitality model works all in the name of sprint, rather than seeking innovations that actually compliment the version sandbox that people know and love.

Oh well. I fully expect to put 300hrs in to H6 , half of which will be spend complaining about sprint.

Yeah I saw that video of suicides giving your team 5 seconds to the score, and gotta say their play-testing team needs to step it up because it is just unacceptable. It gets really tiring seeing issues with everything 343 for does.

I played Halo 4 yesterday and had a flashback to when 343 updated the game, and essentially made it so you couldn't play campaign for about 3+ weeks, because if you did, the game would delete all of your loadouts for multiplayer.

Yep, quality control is out of control, pardon the pun. Just last night I quit MCC because the dropping out of playlist select > game search > drop back to playlist choice was pissing me off again.

So I load up Halo 5, same shit dropped me out of a matched game (dedicated servers do this just like MCC P2P?). WTF? 343/MS you do actually want me to play Halo right?

http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/c9444efe-41bf-403b-9cfa-bd648767aa96
(skips to 21s if you're impatient)

Literally I run shitloads of IT stuff on my two ISP connections, I don't get this shit with any other non-343 games or work stuff.

Akai__

There is that voice acting strike aswell that Steve Downes, Jen Taylor and Jennifer Hale all are supporting so no matter how far in development they are with Halo 6 they will not have any voice recordings for the game yet.

I have done some more "research" on this. Like I previously said, neither Microsoft or 343i are on the strike list from SAG-AFTRA and that hasn't changed. The problem is that studios like Formosa Interactive and Blindlight (pretty big contractors for VA'ing and motion capture performing) are and both have Microsoft Game Studios as Clients. Formosa Interactive was actually used as a contractor for Halo Wars 2 (they appear in the credits), which is probably why David Scully wasn't the VA for Sergeant Johnson. I also skipped through the Halo 5 credits, but I couldn't make out any of the companies that are on their strike list.

By the way. Halo 5's VA'ing and Motion Capture started in January 2015 according to "The Sprint - Osiris" episode and the game released 9 months afterwards. Still plenty of time, before going into panic mode.

When people like Phil Spencer have to step in, we would know. Guaranteed.

Halo, could be doing MUCH better.

Never said it couldn't.

Trup1aya

I have done some more "research" on this. Like I previously said, neither Microsoft or 343i are on the strike list from SAG-AFTRA and that hasn't changed. The problem is that studios like Formosa Interactive and Blindlight (pretty big contractors for VA'ing and motion capture performing) are and both have Microsoft Game Studios as Clients. Formose Interactive was actually used as a contractor for Halo Wars 2 (they appear in the credits), which is probably why David Scully wasn't the VA for Sergeant Johnson. I also skipped through the Halo 5 credits, but I couldn't make out any of the companies that are on their strike list.

By the way. Halo 5's VA'ing and Motion Capture started in January 2015 according to "The Sprint - Osiris" episode and the game released 9 months afterwards. Still plenty of time, before going into panic mode.

When people like Phil Spencer have to step in, we would know. Guaranteed.

Never said it couldn't.

How so? What if he [or someone above the studio head] stepped in after H5 launched? What would that look like between games?

nillapuddin

Again, these are models and art for an RTS. They are supposed to exaggerated, not "subtle" because otherwise you wouldn't see shit on the little cards on your screen and in-game.

You are absolutely correct, here's the thing though

It never needed honeycomb at all. Nobody asked for it, it seems like some additional visual flare just for the sake of visual flare.

By including it at all, because of the presentation you then have to amplify it.

There's no lore based reason for it, there's no gameplay reason, it just a filler texture because hd era and we have to cram as much shitty unnecessary detail onto character models as possible (i.e. 90% of halo 4/5 armor designs)

Just leave it out to begin with.

Akai__

How so? What if he [or someone above the studio head] stepped in after H5 launched? What would that look like between games?

343i restructuring their company after they shipped a game or people leave is one thing, but the actual "Head of Xbox" having to step in is not something trivial and it doesn't go unnoticed is what I mean.

You would have to further clarify what you actually mean with stepping in, though. What do you think happened after Halo 5, so that it warrants Phil Spencer (or somebody else) stepping in?

Trup1aya

343i restructuring their company after they shipped a game or people leave is one thing, but the actual "Head of Xbox" having to step in is not something trivial and it doesn't go unnoticed is what I mean.

You would have to further clarify what you actually mean with stepping in, though. What do you think happened after Halo 5, so that it warrants Phil Spencer (or somebody else) stepping in?

Nothing. I have no way of knowing- because like you said, it depends on what you mean by stepping in.

343 has had people leave pretty important roles, and has had some restructuring or shifts in responsibilities- I have no way of knowing if that was incidental, a the request of upper managment, or for internal reasons.

I just feel like given the 7 years of decline the IP has seen, upper management can't be happy, given that it was once on of the most powerful IPs in gaming and a beacon of quality. I'd imagine that that unhappiness would be communicated in a way that is meant to invoke a change in the process that leads to better outcomes.

I don't think this is a bad thing at all, especially when there's a Halo game currently in development. Now's the time to complain about art style, sprint and smart scope. Of course those criticisms have gone on predating Halo 5's release. I hope they listened.

Give this man a pay raise.
chyIZcc.gif

E92 M3

Lockout was good for oddball and koth.

Slayer, not so much... but few maps are good for every gametype.

Exactly, and it was also fun for Rumble. Overall, Lockout is one of the most memorable Halo maps ever made. I don't think Halo 5 has a single map (Truth doesn't count) that is loved like Lockout.

BizzyBum

Oddball is fun (wow I know, right).. it's just so... odd that it took them this long to put it in the game. I would have loved to see an official Oddball with HCS settings in pro league.

Trup1aya

Exactly, and it was also fun for Rumble. Overall, Lockout is one of the most memorable Halo maps ever made. I don't think Halo 5 has a single map (Truth doesn't count) that is loved like Lockout.

Yeah I was gonna edit to throw rumble pit in, but you had it covered.

jelly

Frankie got promoted to Franchise Development Director right which is pretty big.

Bonnie Ross is general manager, the top of the tree.

Kiki Wolfkill is the executive producer. Such a cool name.

Frankie to the rescue. I don't know what his job entails but chosen one!

Don't know who has the Halo 6 game director gig.

I think 343 could turn things around with a nice Scorpio update for Halo 5 and fix MCC because they bloody well should then announce Halo 6. Ride a positive wave, get people on side, rebuild the bridges. They have a great Halo game in them.

Trup1aya

Frankie got promoted to Franchise Development Director right which is pretty big.

Bonnie Ross is general manager, the top of the tree.

Kiki Wolfkill is the executive producer. Such a cool name.

Frankie to the rescue. I don't know what his job entails but chosen one!

Don't know who has the Halo 6 game director gig.

I think 343 could turn things around with a nice Scorpio update for Halo 5 and fix MCC because they bloody well should then announce Halo 6. Ride a positive wave, get people on side, rebuild the bridges. They have a great Halo game in them.

I feel like doing some research to figure out who's in what positions now.

I know Bryan Reed is out as narrative director and the job is filled, but I'm not sure by whom.

Tom French is now Multiplayer Director

Quinn delhoyo was MP lead, but now is Lead Designer

It seems like Sandbox and MP either work more closely together or are merged or something- which is awesome either way.

Ok so I popped in Halo 5 for the first time since launch and holy shit the game is good now. My main criticism the controls, have been fixed and I'm having a blast playing big team battle and team skirmish. I'm going to wait a little while before I hop into ranked games. I'm in love with Halo again!

jelly

I know Bryan Reed is out as narrative director and the job is filled, but I'm not sure by whom.

It seems like Sandbox and MP either work more closely together or are merged or something- which is awesome either way.

We Destiny now.

A more alive multiplayer would be most welcome though and something that doesn't stick out as a multiplayer map acting as something campaign like. I need more sandbox variety and encounters that create the unexpected and environmental stuff would be neat but please better play areas, there is clean art style and dull, 343 is dull and toy like.

wwm0nkey

Tom French HYPE

Top Bottom