• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

E92 M3

Frankie got promoted to Franchise Development Director right which is pretty big.

Bonnie Ross is general manager, the top of the tree.

Kiki Wolfkill is the executive producer. Such a cool name.

Frankie to the rescue. I don't know what his job entails but chosen one!

Don't know who has the Halo 6 game director gig.

I think 343 could turn things around with a nice Scorpio update for Halo 5 and fix MCC because they bloody well should then announce Halo 6. Ride a positive wave, get people on side, rebuild the bridges. They have a great Halo game in them.

I am only hyped about Tom French for multiplayer design and hope that Quinn doesn't infect him with bad ideas such as universal settings.

Trup1aya

I'm most excited about French getting promoted and about the new relationship between Sandbox and MP.

For months, I would see Twitter convos between Quinn and Neighbor and users on twitter, and TB about weapon balancing issues only to find out a year later that MP could only change weapons on the map and ammo counts. Sandbox would have address balance and it was slow going due to the Warzone and Campaign ramifications.

Then neighbor game on TB and started talking about issues with sniper, and autos, and precison weapons being straight upgrades, and mentioned he was now part of sandbox. It wasn't a short while after that where they rtweaked the snipers, revamped HCS playlist for the better, and took aim to fix autos. Good shit!

I like French's promotions because he's a baddass and extremely responsive to the community.

wwm0nkey

I'm most excited about French getting promoted and about the new relationship between Sandbox and MP.

For months, I would see Twitter convos between Quinn or Neighbor and users on twitter, and TB about weapon balancing issues only to find out later that MP could only change weapons on the map and ammo counts. Sandbox would address balance and it was slow going due to the Warzone and Campaign ramifications.

Then neighbor game on TB and started talking about issues with sniper, and autos, and precison weapons being straight upgrades, and mentioned he was now part of sandbox. It wasn't a short while after that where they revamped tweaked the snipers, revamped HCS playlist for the better, and took aim to fix autos. Good shit!

I like French's promotions because he's a baddass and extremely responsive to the community.
I do have a good feeling about Halo 6, just need to know who is writing the Campaign story this time lol

Trup1aya

just need to know who is writing the Campaign story this time lol

To whomever that is, I leave this meme:

good-luck.gif

Finaj

I do have a good feeling about Halo 6, just need to know who is writing the Campaign story this time lol

I think the most likely candidate is the lead writer on Halo Wars 2, but it's hard to tell at this point.

I wonder when we'll get our first exposure to Halo 6.

I have no faith on the campaign side of things after 4 and 5. Their art style, corridor level design, enemy encounters, vehicular sections and writing all leave a lot to be desired. The fact they think that Master Chief missing was one of the biggest issues has me worried.

E92 M3

I have no faith on the campaign side of things after 4 and 5. Their art style, corridor level design, enemy encounters, vehicular sections and writing all leave a lot to be desired. The fact they think that Master Chief missing was one of the biggest issues has me worried.

I'm with you. I couldn't stand the borefest that was the campaign and just youtubed the rest.

If Halo 6 is like 5, 343 will close down. They can't make anymore mistakes. Just give us a classic Halo. How hard can it be?!

jelly

Master Chief uses his charm to distract Cortana while the players, Sarah Palmer and Agent Locke co-op their way to 6 big bird bosses to unlock the Halo. Just as Chief was getting Cortana's armour off she realises the ruse as he still has his helmet on. Cortana gets angry, starts building another library around the Chief, the player now takes control of Chief for one last mission, escape the Library and meet up with Palmer and Locke to put together the solution button then shit happens and we all go home with Blue Team.

wwm0nkey

Master Chief uses his charm to distract Cortana while the players, Sarah Palmer and Agent Locke co-op their way to 6 big bird bosses to unlock the Halo. Just as Chief was getting Cortana's armour off she realises the ruse as he still has his helmet on. Cortana gets angry, starts building another library around the Chief, the player now takes control of Chief for one last mission, escape the Library and meet up with Palmer and Locke to put together the solution button then shit happens and we all go home with Blue Team.

Hey. Stop that.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.

tumblr_md04lmEl9u1qzqnxxo1_500.gif

I'm with you. I couldn't stand the borefest that was the campaign and just youtubed the rest.

If Halo 6 is like 5, 343 will close down. They can't make anymore mistakes. Just give us a classic Halo. How hard can it be?!

meh, kind of disagree.

don't mind the artstyle, and honestly get bored as shit going back and playing bungie halo campaigns as well [only ever found CE mildly compelling campaign wise].

but, you're not in the minority with those opinions, so i think you might be right about 6 being make or break for the studio.

[even though after 5 i completely trust the MP forever now, and that's all i ever cared about]

counterpoint: about 20% of CE and Reach, 40% of 3 and 70% of 2

Trup1aya

For the most part, CE , 3 and Reach did an amazing job of making you feel like you were had agency over how every encounter played out, even if the level was made out of corridors.

I've never felt that way since. Even on the fantastic Sanghelios sections, I felt like I was being funneled through a big corridor.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Oddball on rig is... something. Just played a team that would sit on it outside the map, of course, suicide with the ball if threatened and since you had to go through their entire team to get him to do that they'd be on respawns near where the ball spawns in. Cool.

mcrommert

Banned
I enjoy the occasional round of Warzone Firefight, although it's not really comparable to ODST's firefight.

Reach's firefight was just boring.

I don't think that tension which ODST had would really work when you're playing as a Spartan.

Agreed on all counts... War one firefight isn't bad but odst was great on how the rounds worked, low health etc

BizzyBum

It would be nice if they put a little effort into changing up Mythic FF every weekend instead of playing with the same set of skulls.

Oddball on rig is... something. Just played a team that would sit on it outside the map, of course, suicide with the ball if threatened and since you had to go through their entire team to get him to do that they'd be on respawns near where the ball spawns in. Cool.

I mean, isn't that the strategy on most oddball maps? I've been suiciding off maps for the longest time.

That's fairly true, but Bungie games also had great vehicular sections, 3 way battles and better Ai to elevate the experience.

Compare the Warthog run in CE and 3 to the ghost run in 4, in CE and 3 there's a chance of failure, of flipping th warthog, etc. There's also more freedom with multiple pathways. Now look at the ghost section, where there's absolutely no chance to die unless you're trying, it feels terribly static in comparison. Meridian's vehicle section has similar problems, it provides more space, but there's really nothing to do with it, then you get to drive the slow Scorpion up the hill and shoot imobile forerunner turrets, which isn't very fun. Compare the Kraken to the Scarabs, the Kraken you literally just take the Phaeton and go inside, it might as well not even move around, as it adds nothing to the scenario. in Assault on the Control Room the tank is a feature, you don't have to use it, you could take a warthog, you'll also be getting in and out of vehicles as you enter different sections. On Infinity, the vehicle section feels very segmented, it's clearly just that as you carve a path through wraiths and then get into a Mantis, which is just as uninteresting and clearly the only real option the developers want you to take.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I mean, isn't that the strategy on most oddball maps? I've been suiciding off maps for the longest time.

For sure, but to have ledges outside the map that are easily defensible for crazy set ups? Perhaps rig isn't a good oddball map (or should have a modified killzone or added walls)

jem0208

For the most part, CE , 3 and Reach did an amazing job of making you feel like you were had agency over how every encounter played out, even if the level was made out of corridors.

I've never felt that way since. Even on the fantastic Sanghelios sections, I felt like I was being funneled through a big corridor.
I felt the exact opposite. Literally the exact opposite.

This: "making you feel like you were had agency over how every encounter played out" is how i felt about 5 and the reason I prefer its gameplay to previous Halos.

Also the Kraken is completely incomparable to Scarabs. One is a unique vehicular enemy, the other is set piece dressing. Once you get over that fact the Kraken section is actually quite fun, it's just nothing like as interesting as the Scarab fights.

HTupolev

Halo 5's vehicle combat saddens me. I was actually really excited that the scorpion was given a slower and arcing projectile, and then the game didn't have much in the way of sweeping-but-free-form battlefields with fast-moving enemy vehicles to take advantage of it.

Trup1aya

I felt the exact opposite. Literally the exact opposite.

This: "making you feel like you were had agency over how every encounter played out" is how i felt about 5 and the reason I prefer its gameplay to previous Halos.

Also the Kraken is completely incomparable to Scarabs. One is a unique vehicular enemy, the other is set piece dressing. Once you get over that fact the Kraken section is actually quite fun, it's just nothing like as interesting as the Scarab fights.

To each his own. In general, I felt like I could be WAY for creative in Older Halo's particularly CE, 3, and Reach. in 4 and 5, I always felt like I need to go where the dev wants me to go, and even use the weapons the dev wants me to use. They put in some branching paths, but those decisions still felt pretty binary.

IMO, this is especially true when comparing vehicle sections.

On the ground, There are a few exceptions, like The Library and Cortana, but in general, this is how I feel.

Vehicle sections could be better, but i don't buy that 5 was not a massive improvement on 4 and that its best sections did not offer loads of space and options. This continual talking down of its qualities is a bizarre 'talking each other into cynicism' cycle of discussions that have hardly any connection to my experiences and enjoyment of the game.

Trup1aya

Vehicle sections could be better, but i don't buy that 5 was not a massive improvement on 4 and that its best sections did not offer loads of space and options. This continual talking down of its qualities is a bizarre 'talking each other into cynicism' cycle of discussions that have hardly any connection to my experiences and enjoyment of the game.

On the ground, 5 was a pretty big improvement over 4. I had a lot of fun on Blue Team and everything Sanghelios.

I think you are projecting... I haven seen anyone even discuss the bolded.

Every game in the series will perpetually be compared to every other game in the series. Likening something new less than something old isn't cynical, it's merely having a preference.

Comments not aligning with your experience is natural part of people having different takes on things...

Oddball is fun (wow I know, right).. it's just so... odd that it took them this long to put it in the game. I would have loved to see an official Oddball with HCS settings in pro league.
Oddball was one of my favorite game modes and a staple of Halo's multiplayer to me. It's unacceptable that it has taken nearly two years for the game mode to become a playlist option. While I'd like to reinstall Halo 5 to try it out, I don't have enough room on my hard drive and have been having more fun with MCC (when it works), so I'm not gonna bother.

Halo 6 better knock it out of the park, I'm going to be very skeptical going into this one after being burnt on Halo 4, MCC, and Halo 5 in some way.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
It would be nice if they put a little effort into changing up Mythic FF every weekend instead of playing with the same set of skulls.

Were it so easy. The effort required to get skulls into the Warzone framework was immense. Unfortunately they're hard coded, but trust me when I say we play tested a ton of skull progression variations. The current flow provided the best example of challenge, not cheapness. With more time anything is possible, but considering we had less than 6 months to build Warzone Firefight from scratch, I'm very proud of the results.

Definitely in the minority here, but I enjoyed Halo 4's campaign quite a bit. I enjoyed the various environments and the story of the didact more too. Prometheans, while in the end, were not the most exciting enemies, they were new and interesting. It was also the last Halo game where Cortana and Chief are working together. /sadface. Halo 5 had better game-play, but the prometheans were just not that interesting anymore and the story of Locke trying to find Chief, and Chief going after Cortana, was largely disappointing to me. The levels for whatever reason also just weren't that memorable.
EDIT:
Were it so easy. The effort required to get skulls into the Warzone framework was immense. Unfortunately they're hard coded, but trust me when I say we play tested a ton of skull progression variations. The current flow provided the best example of challenge, not cheapness. With more time anything is possible, but considering we had less than 6 months to build Warzone Firefight from scratch, I'm very proud of the results.
This is the part where you say, "also, i'm happy to announce that the halo 6 beta will be coming on such and such a date. You're gonna love it!" ;-D

Trup1aya

Definitely in the minority here, but I enjoyed Halo 4's campaign quite a bit. I enjoyed the various environments and the story of the didact more too. Prometheans, while in the end, were not the most exciting enemies, they were new and interesting. It was also the last Halo game where Cortana and Chief are working together. /sadface. Halo 5 had better game-play, but the prometheans were just not that interesting anymore and the story of Locke trying to find Chief, and Chief going after Cortana, was largely disappointing to me. The levels for whatever reason also just weren't that memorable.
EDIT:

This is the part where you say, "also, i'm happy to announce that the halo 6 beta will be coming on such and such a date. You're gonna love it!" ;-D

I definately liked h4s story more (after reading the books), but halo 5 actually had some memorable gameplay moments (memorable for good reasons that is).

I played through H4 and never felt an urge to play it again. I've never had a second urge to play through H5 completely, but there are a couple missions in that I could play over an over again.

I definately liked h4s story more (after reading the books), but halo 5 actually had some memorable gameplay moments (memorable for good reasons that is).

I played through H4 and never felt an urge to play it again. I've never had a second urge to play through H5 completely, but there are a couple missions in that I could play over an over again.
I enjoyed the sanghelios level the most and it is the one level I think I'd replay more than any other.

wwm0nkey

6 months is impressive

BizzyBum

It's crazy how something so simple on the outside is a nightmare to do on the inside. I guess that's how Halo 5 is in a nutshell when it comes to changes.

Also having to melee to regenerate shields in round 2 and up. Not cool man, not cool...

I've enjoyed the fuck out of WZ FF, thanks. I can't really handle playing expanded searches on legendary/mythic due to Aussie population but I regularly play heroic still. Love getting to use REQs in FF. A shit-ton of Halo sandbox right at your fingertips.

It must be so depressing to be a 343 employee, come around and read a Halo topic.

Maybe the Halo gaming side topics where there's drive by insults that provide no constructive criticism. Here at least most of the critiques have some substance to them.

Woops, meant to be an edit.

Top Bottom