• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians will be available to download and play FOR FREE 6.29 - 7.5

EDIT 6/29 -

"Update: The @Halo 5 free play & all REQs will be up a little after 2pm PDT today, Firefight is available now!".

-----
Halo-5-Guardians-Warzone-Firefight-Content-Release-VisID.jpg

FREE!? Yes. Halo 5 will be be available to play for FREE. The Full Game; SP + MP and all of the 8 free updates! Info grab below:

To celebrate the release of Warzone Firefight next week, the full game of Halo 5: Guardians will be available to download and play FOR FREE to all Xbox Live Gold members from June 29 to July 5 as part of Xbox Live’s “Free Play Days” program. Additionally, Halo 5: Guardians will be on sale for 50 percent off during this same time. There’s no better time to join the Spartan ranks!
Read more at http://news.xbox.com/2016/06/23/war...halo-5-guardians-june-29/#sHTUiLQmSUyXtW08.99
Warzone Firefight Info this was pulled from

EDIT: Size

Just an information for those who plan to download this as part of the Free Download Promo:

Halo 5 is already 81GB large and with this Update it will probably crack the 90GB mark pretty easily.

EDIT2: Including the Warzone Firefight update, that also launches on 6.29, REQ sheet.

Halo-5-Guardians-Warzone-Firefight-REQ-Sheet-e1466698284624.jpg

Some more info -
•New Game Mode – Warzone Firefight: Warzone Firefight is, by far, the biggest content release since the launch of Halo 5: Guardians! As a result of the beta in April, 343 Industries has taken player feedback to improve the game mode for launch, such as increasing the difficulty each round and adding brand new bosses and vehicles – including the hilarious (and deadly) Grunt Goblin boss and the powerful UNSC VTOL, AV-49 Wasp, deployable as a REQ vehicle in all Warzone modes and available to use in Forge. Check out Polygon and IGN to get a sneak peek at both of these new additions to Halo 5: Guardians.
•New Campaign Feature – Score Attack: As detailed on Halo Waypoint, the Warzone Firefight content release will include a new way to play Halo 5: Guardians’ campaign – Score Attack! Campaign scoring makes a return to Halo 5: Guardians, enabling players to compete against their friends for points and medals in online co-op play or solo. Remember – in Score Attack, the points do matter so be sure to defeat enemies with style and flourish!
•New Maps – Attack on Sanctum, Prospect and Molten: The free Warzone Firefight release brings three new maps across multiple game modes: Attack on Sanctum, Prospect and Molten. In the Attack on Sanctum map for Warzone, revisit the Covenant homeworld of Sanghelios, or take it to the rocky roads of Prospect for Warzone Assault. For Arena players, Molten will be a hot new Arena map – be sure not to fall into the stream of lava!
•New Forge Canvas – Tidal: Since the release of a new super-charged Forge mode for Halo 5: Guardians in December, Forgers have been hard at work creating some of the most unique, creative and innovative maps ever seen in Halo. The Warzone Firefight release brings a fan-requested canvas, the ocean-themed Tidal. No longer will players have to struggle to find water to Forge on – it’s literally everywhere on Tidal!
•New REQs Items: Warzone Firefight adds several new REQ items, including the Cinder and Cyclops armor sets, Covenant vehicle and weapon variants, HCS Pro League weapon skins and additional customization sets.

A week should give people enough time to download the 80+gb files required to try it.
50% off too is a good promo, H5 really is a strong online multiplayer title.
I may even rate it as my favourite.

krpiper

It will take all week to download :p But this is good, I think its a great game and I am glad more people will have the chance to play it

SOR5

I'm going to take something that by all rights is simple, and make it complicated:

Does this mean that from June 29th to July 5th, it will be free to download and then keep? Or does it mean that it will be free to all during that period of time, and then everyone must pay afterwards?

Just the time period, then you have to pay

It took me more than 2 hours to install the whole game. As soon as this is free you guys better download it cuz depending on your connection it will take a while.

For people who have never played Halo 5, it's going to feel really well rounded. Campaign (now with scoring) + Arena + Warzone + Warzone Firefight is a hell of a package.

JaggedSac

Good idea to do a free week and 50% off. Hopefully this puts some butts in seats. Best Halo MP needs to keep on keepin on.

With this and Rocket League, I like that MS is copying Steam's approach to selling discount games by allowing people to play for free for a limited time.

Too bad the actual game doesn't look this clean or sharp

What does this even mean? This isn't a bullshot. You can still see the low quality ground textures, there's jaggies around the bluffs in the distance. It looks good due to Sanghelios's art style, but that is the game warts and all.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Too bad the actual game doesn't look this clean or sharp

I mean, that's a screenshot from the game. Complete with aliasing and compression artifacts and so on. Sure you're not usually playing with the HUD turned off from that viewpoint, but it's more or less representative.

Sydle

Haven't played Halo 5 yet so I'll be jumping in during this. How long is the campaign?

If memory serves, on the easiest setting I think it's around 5 hours. If you play it on Heroic then I think it's about 8 hours.

It's my second favorite campaign of the series, played through it multiple times with friends. I'm looking forward to score attack.

Ramirez

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like they'd make more money at this point making the MP F2P and opening up a lot of new REQ pack money opportunities.

link1201

The actual gameplay and environmental aspects sans a great vehicle level are great fun. The story is a bit meh...but overall Halo 5 is great.

Montresor

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like they'd make more money at this point making the MP F2P and opening up a lot of new REQ pack money opportunities.

MS is thankfully done with F2P (as far as I can tell). I hope they never go down that road again. I.E. I'm stoked that Sea of Thieves isn't F2P.

Top Bottom