• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians will be available to download and play FOR FREE 6.29 - 7.5

You will be removed the next time there is an update so usually about 1-2 weeks and you lose all your local data(games, console setting ...)

I was finally able to download the game overnight. And I literally just got an update needed notification. Looks like I'll be going offline until I can beat the campaign. I'm not about to download the 80+ gigs just to try multiplayer, especially since Overwatch just got competitive mode.

Cindro

I started downloading it the hour it went live, and it's only at 57%. Yeesh.

Maybe it will be ready in time for the weekend at least.

Theorry

Playing the SP now. Played Halo 1, 2 and 3 these last days and i must say i quite like it.
Love the setpieces wich remind me alot of Halo 2. And playing with regular squadmates who help instead of being annoying is also way better then the standard AI like in the previous games. Gameplay is solid and the story is pretty decent also. Wouldnt say its great. But its good, nothing more. Just like previous games. Halo 4 i didnt play yet tho.

Cindro

I started downloading it the hour it went live, and it's only at 57%. Yeesh.

[From 12:45 PM]
Now at 97%...

jzc9UkS.gif

Cindro

I figured I would be very hard on the campaign, based on how many GAF impressions I read calling it one of the worst.

I loved it. The story was average with flat characters, and the ending was abrupt, but the gameplay and music and art design were all absolutely outstanding. The pacing was wonderful too - so little cruft and fat. Short, punchy, and too the point - all qualities I appreciate more and more the older I get.

I bet co-op is one of the best multiplayer campaigns ever, too. Would have loved to play through it that way if I had someone to go through it with.

I played a couple hours of multiplayer. It was fine, but I suck so hard that it deflated most of the enjoyments. Not the game's fault there, obviously.

The Warzone stuff I tried a couple times and didn't understand and don't care to take the time to do so. It just seemed like random objectives where you square off against both NPCs and other players on the opposing-colored team. It seemed to scattered and difficult to prioritize... which is to say I have no desire to try it again.

I definitely got my money's worth with this freebie, though. I was going to give it a rental anyway, so this worked out well. I sucked almost all the enjoyment I would have ever gotten out of the package within 24 hours, but that speaks more to my tastes than anything else - I thought it was great for what it was. FPS titles are just rarely my genre, but Halo continues to be a series I'll always be interested in checking out.

Theorry

I figured I would be very hard on the campaign, based on how many GAF impressions I read calling it one of the worst.

I loved it. The story was average with flat characters, and the ending was abrupt, but the gameplay and music and art design were all absolutely outstanding. The pacing was wonderful too - so little cruft and fat. Short, punchy, and too the point - all qualities I appreciate more and more the older I get.

I bet co-op is one of the best multiplayer campaigns ever, too. Would have loved to play through it that way if I had someone to go through it with.

I played a couple hours of multiplayer. It was fine, but I suck so hard that it deflated most of the enjoyments. Not the game's fault there, obviously.

The Warzone stuff I tried a couple times and didn't understand and don't care to take the time to do so. It just seemed like random objectives where you square off against both NPCs and other players on the opposing-colored team. It seemed to scattered and difficult to prioritize... which is to say I have no desire to try it again.

I definitely got my money's worth with this freebie, though. I was going to give it a rental anyway, so this worked out well. I sucked almost all the enjoyment I would have ever gotten out of the package within 24 hours, but that speaks more to my tastes than anything else - I thought it was great for what it was. FPS titles are just rarely my genre, but Halo continues to be a series I'll always be interested in checking out.

The gameplay is the best ever indeed. Loved the freedom also. Lots of paths. Take a banshee or just walk etc. But 343 needs to learn that not everybody knows the lore from books etc. They did the same with Halo 4. Thats why the story was abit weird and it counts on you that you know the rest of blue team for example. Abit weird.

Monocle

The gameplay is the best ever indeed. Loved the freedom also. Lots of paths. Take a banshee or just walk etc. But 343 needs to learn that not everybody knows the lore from books etc. They did the same with Halo 4. Thats why the story was abit weird and it counts on you that you know the rest of blue team for example. Abit weird.
They did a really good job giving the player a quick primer on the Mantle though, and also showing the dynamics of Elite society via
the Sangheili encampment and the levels on Sanghelios
. Same with the settlers on the planet with the space elevator. The splendid, majestic space elevator.

Oh, and Dr. Halsey finally got a decent role.

I'm the last person to ask, since I eat up the fiction, but I would think that Blue Team is more or less self-explanatory based on the Chief's interaction with them. Like, anyone who can read context and implication would realize they must have a past together. You don't really need to be familiar with The Fall of Reach to get the gist of their connection. It sure helps you appreciate all the little expanded universe nods 343 included in the campaign, though.

Theorry

Finished the campaign and overall enjoyed it very much. Setpieces were great and the gameplay was very solid also. The story i quite liked also. Love the Cortana angle.
But expected more a Master Chief vs Locke thing. Must say i didnt really follow Hunt the Thruth but saw some little things. But it isnt really there in the story. They come across ones and the fight abit. But its all because of Master Chief went AWOL and went after Cortana. Thats it really. Expected way more. And that maybe Locke has history with him.

Expected that Chief did something bad and you need to catch him but after a while it becomes clear he got framed by Cortana or something. I dont know. Didnt see any reason for Locke now and why we needed to play him. He is only trying to catch up with Chief the whole time. And fighting after him. Then i prefer to play with Master Chief really if they almost take the same path the whole time.

But maybe you see more in Halo 6 about it. Master Chief maybe getting blamed for something. I dont know.

Wonko_C

I completely forgot about this. Is this free to download and keep forever? Or it's deleted from your account once the free period ends?

Any control settings suggestions? I want this to feel like the other Halo games/Destiny.

I keep messing with them but still feels quite off.

I completely forgot about this. Is this free to download and keep forever? Or it's deleted from your account once the free period ends?

Once the free period is over, it will not longer work/play.

You'll just have it installed without a lincence indicating you own it.

Murdoch

Any control settings suggestions? I want this to feel like the other Halo games/Destiny.

I keep messing with them but still feels quite off.

Two options...

One is the old fashioned way of making it feel like the older halos (barely any aim acceleration) Turn accel down to 1 and sensitivity up to around 4 to compensate.

The other would be to turn acceleration up to 5 and LOWER the sensitivity down to around 2. This, personally; is the one that I opted for.

Two options...

One is the old fashioned way of making it feel like the older halos (barely any aim acceleration) Turn accel down to 1 and sensitivity up to around 4 to compensate.

The other would be to turn acceleration up to 5 and LOWER the sensitivity down to around 2. This, personally; is the one that I opted for.
Thanks! I will give these a shot

Theorry

From Bravo on Reddit.

"I do believe you'd be very pleasantly surprised with not only the number of players who jumped on during the free play period (holy moly lots! by golly it worked!), but also the amount of Halo 5 players each day and month - this isn't something we've talked about yet, but I am rather happy to share that even before the free play period, Halo 5 has had the highest monthly active players for a Halo title since Halo 3.
Also exciting (and not yet discussed, either) is the increase that H5 has seen in players each month over the past few months (we just got done looking at June numbers, which are once again higher than the previous month). As you can imagine this is pretty darn exciting to see, and this thread seemed like an appropriate place to share this news for the first time :)
I'd have to get approval from the powers that be to say more in terms of specifics, but you should rest assured that together, we're quite a strong army."

Top Bottom