• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Launch Day Multiplayer Playlist Revealed

I was wondering if they were going to include swat as I have some freinds who have been obsessed with that mode since reach and it looks like we'll get two swat Playlists so I'm sure they'll be pumped.

I can't say I'm too bent out of shape about a lack of oddball and koth because I never enjoyed those that much.

I am disappointed about the quantity of maps in the slayer Playlist... I count 6? Not a great amount.

m23

There's something amiss with the way IGN formatted their list- there aren't two SWAT lists, for example. We're reaching out to get it updated.

Let them know they accidentally listed breakout mode under the team arena playlist as well. Thanks.

CyReN

9f91741cbb9f4b48f81c5acd95296a55.png

Already addressed, but yea.

Trup1aya

There's something amiss with the way IGN formatted their list- there aren't two SWAT lists, for example. We're reaching out to get it updated.

Cool because I was having trouble following their current format...

I think the launch playlist is fine for launch but it seems like some strange decisions were made...

I'm perfectly ok with Breakout being in the Team Arena playlist (though others will surely prefer it had its own playlist), but why the lack of objective gametypes? Oddball, assault, nuetral flag,

Why is wouldnt Slayer and FFA be on every 4v4 map?

Why no team social playlist?

I get that Warzone has two playlists... No one wants to get stuck in a 30min match of a game mode they didn't want to play...

Did any halo ever launch with team doubles? Anyway nice mouth you got there. You probably get everything you want most of the time with that shiny attitude.

Seriously, I remember pretty AWFUL launch playlists in the past. This is the most solid its been.

So that doesn't add up to 21 maps unless we count breakout maps and forge maps. Hope for some clarification on this.

And like others have said, will team slayer and FFA not feature all slayer maps? There are only 6 in the slayer playlist?

Seriously, I remember pretty AWFUL launch playlists in the past. This is the most solid its been.

I'm inclined to think you are correct.

I'm currently accustomed to the variety I get in the MCC, but even that took months to get Team Doubles.

Looks like a solid launch.

Im reading at other places that SWAT shouldnt be there but things like Snipers. Cmon. Snipers, Doubles for example were never that populated.

I dont see a reason why SWAT shouldnt have its own playlist. Its a gametype a lot of people like.
Of course i can understand the outcry for missing playlists.

Lets wait and see how everything turns out in the first weeks of the game.

Kssio_Aug

It's good to have SWAT in a independent playlist.
Where's CTF though? To be honest I don't play CTF too much, but that's pretty popular.

5 Breakout maps
8 Arena (5 UNSC industrial maps, two covenant themed map, one forerunner themed map)
Orion & Pegasus (Forge maps)
6 Warzone maps

I was under the impression the forge maps and breakout maps didn't count in the 21 map count. Why isnt truth in FFA? Why no empire in team slayer? And was hoping for a little variety in map theme for the slayer maps. Well, still looking forward to some good competitive halo!

CyReN

Did any halo ever launch with team doubles? Anyway nice mouth you got there. You probably get everything you want most of the time with that shiny attitude.

Why does it matter what past Halo's had, wouldn't you guys want to learn from those mistakes?

AP90

Can't wait to see some Warzone Assault.

This. The MP line up to me seems pretty good IMO. If launching BTB and other MP lists later results in more polished and better maps, then I am all for it.

You can't please everyone 343i.

Havok

I'll miss Assault, but I wouldn't be surprised if it makes it back somewhere down the road in a more Ricochet-styled fashion that better fits the overall pace of the game.

Not having a dedicated objective playlist is unfortunate...but entirely reasonable. There's been a long, sad history of Halo grab bag objective playlists that go ignored by 99% (more, realistically) of the MP playerbase and die a slow death, incapable of getting either fast or skill-matched games together.

There's no voting in H5, which I think is probably the best possible solution, given the circumstances - in the grab bag Arena playlist, as long as the gametype weightings are done well, you'll still see objective games that people can't really duck out of at a vote screen. More importantly, they'll be objective modes that people might want to actually play. I liked having Oddball and King of the Hill as filler, but developing and supporting those ultra-niche gametypes when nobody actually wanted to play them as a primary choice most of the time probably isn't a great use of time or money. They've moved beyond needing to support that legacy of weird tertiary gametypes as lip service, it's a different beast now.

Breakout as an offering in a larger playlist, though...I think this is a mistake. There's a consistency, if not in win condition then in player traits, among the rest of the gametypes there. Going back and forth between wildly different player environments like that isn't something I'm interested in (I suppose you could say that about Breakout as a whole - it was....fine? but not something I want to play often).

Welfare

Are we going to get a list of game types that'll be in at launch to use in custom games? Just 4 game types in Arena is disgusting.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
5 Breakout maps
8 Arena (5 UNSC industrial maps, two covenant themed map, one forerunner themed map)
6 Warzone maps

I was under the impression the forge maps and breakout maps didn't count in the 21 map count. Why isnt truth in FFA? Why no empire in team slayer? And was hoping for a little variety in map theme for the slayer maps. Well, still looking forward to some good competitive halo!

Unless the maps that haven't been announced aren't being featured in this article, I wonder if the 21 maps include BTB? Even if it doesn't launch at launch, it'll supposedly launch close to it, so 343 might be including those maps in the overall initial map count.

Bsigg12

5 Breakout maps
6 Warzone maps

I'd wait for the edit from IGN since 343 has acknowledged there are errors in the article.

Though I wish 343 would have just wrote it up themselves and put it on Waypoint.

Blueblur1

5 Breakout maps
6 Warzone maps

So we're basically getting the smallest amount of launch maps for PvP ever then. 8 Arena plus the Breakout map which is a Forge map = 9. How extremely disappointing.

Trup1aya

I think I woulda gone:

Warzone
Warzone Assault
Team Arena- slayer, ctf, assault, odd ball
Team Slayer
Team Social- all 4v4 modes
BTB
FFA

But of course I don't have access to the data they do...

Team Snipers and Team Doubles have always been staples of Halo online matchmaking, I mean this is their 3rd game launching now and the same questions are always raised.

I dont remember Snipers as one of the staples for Halo multiplayer...

Snipers playlist came in really late in Halo 3's cycle if i remember correctly.

watership

Mixing Breakout into Arena is just bad. Why do we get two SWAT playlists but staples like team doubles and team snipers are missing?

Edit: Maybe not staples but they've been here since Halo 2 and they have a decent following.

Are they mixing the gametypes or just the maps? Like Arena rules on a breakout map?

Top Bottom