• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

It's an improvement over 4 in that you can actually follow what's happening in the games story. But there is stuff (like Locke) where I have no idea who he is or why I should care. I assume it's in expanded universe stuff.

You have no idea who one of the main characters in the game is? That sounds like a big deal :/

Damn. Not worth it then to have to buy a whole new platform to experience this campaign.

6-7 hours on normal is already significantly longer than previous games. Normal in Halo is like Easy in other shooters, generally Heroic takes reviewers and early players 9-10 hours to finish.

DOWN

Banned
based on how OP wrote the IGN line, anyone else think IGN had elected to declare the franchise dead (RIP) instead of having a Review in Progress? lmao

Random17

My only disappointment is that despite being (largely) better than Halo 4 in a lot of ways, this game will get lower scores, which is a shame. A reflection of some controversial decisions, as well as the general drop in AAA review scores.

based on how OP wrote the IGN line, anyone else think IGN had elected to declare the franchise dead (RIP) instead of having a Review in Progress? lmao

That's what I thought lol. Since the review was at the very bototm, I saw "RiP" and thought they absolutely hated it. Ryan will probably give it a 9.0 or something.

So skimming a couple of the reviews the biggest let down for me seems to be campaign length. 6-7 hours is pretty short but if its jam packed and epic that will make up for it. I'd rather have a toght great campaign than a longer boring one.

Unfortunately though the reviews seems slightly divided on the quality

Yup, I know it might not be for others, but the Campaign is the most important part of a Halo game for me

Yeah I only really play the campaigns. The length coupled with the mixed reception means I might wait.

Though I think my friend is getting it tomorrow and I want to play through in coop with him

Sai-kun

Banned

I laughed out loud and thought the same haha. I was like damn, pretty brutal.

watership

Destructoid:

Halo 4 - 10/10
Halo 5 - 7/10

okay

Well, maybe different reviewers. Also the review said something about if the game didn't have warzonewar zone, it would have placed low on his list of halo games. He gave the game a 7. What halo game is that low on anyone's scale?

While MP is for me, campaign is what makes the game really memorable. I'm still there right when this thing unlocks but nowhere near as hyped now.

Same here, I'm even picking it up a day early instead of waiting for Best Buy on Tuesday. I can spare another 5 dollars to play it tomorrow.

Skux

Bit of a shame that the campaign isn't up to scratch, considering how heavily they were emphasising th story.

I feel like the reviews are summing up the "story" as ok.

Which is interesting cause I've never felt the stories were the strong point in any Halo games. All can be summed up in a sentence or two. This one feels like the middle of something huge, which it is.

Alienfan

That Destructoid review is actually awful. I've read the whole thing twice now and still don't understand the reviewer's gripes, it reads like a offical synopsis of the game's features . A shame because I wouldn't mind reading a more critical/cynical review before I went and spent $60 on it. I guess i'll wait for some gaf impressions :)

Well, maybe different reviewers. Also the review said something about if the game didn't have warzonewar zone, it would have placed low on his list of halo games. He gave the game a 7. What halo game is that low on anyone's scale?

It is a different reviewer, which is why it's usually real stupid when people try and make those kind of comparisons.

JTripper

Most reviews say the campaign is ok and has issues, some other reviews say the campaign has some pretty significant stuff going on and hits some great highs.

Guess no one is to be believed.

Thoraxes

Things I like that i'm reading: More expanded universe inclusion. I read those books.
Things I don't like that i'm reading: the ratio of people present in missions to other people.

And it's not that I don't like Locke, especially given Nightfall. But he's not Chief, and he's not Blue Team.

ryan299

Based on the reviews I've read so far, Locke isn't that popular and it was a mistake to favor him over Chief.

343 failed at portraying blue team well. Not surprised at all by that.

The game is linear like 4, with no big open play spaces like in the older games.

Seems like they pulled a Halo 2 and cut the ending out.

McCaffrey from Ign said 5 is the worse campaign in the series. The story and mission design is a mess. wow

Random17

. All can be summed up in a sentence or two. .
Any game can be summed up in a sentence or two. Doesn't mean it is a good summary :p

The reviews for the campaign story are fairly negative. I don't think people responded to the Locke:Chief ratio well at all.

Two months ago I was expecting mid-80's... After all the hype, the previews and my own experience in the campaign (yesterday), I was expecting way more...

Did we play the same game?

EDIT: Ok, a lot of reviewers seem to take into account the absence of couch multiplayer.

Ape

Banned
reasonable complaints so far, most of which don't really apply to me.

Looks like this is my game of the generation

Yeah I only really play the campaigns. The length coupled with the mixed reception means I might wait.

Though I think my friend is getting it tomorrow and I want to play through in coop with him

I'm just kinda hoping I fall into the spectrum of those who enjoyed the story. I like the multiplayer and will give it a lot of playing time, but there's something about Halo's world that just draws me in story wise.

DOWN

Banned
Which is interesting cause I've never felt the stories were the strong point in any Halo games. All can be summed up in a sentence or two. This one feels like the middle of something huge, which it is.

Master Chief and Cortana didn't become the faces of the brand for no reason. The campaigns, particularly the original trilogy's, are highly memorable to players. Halo 2's ending got significant press alongside multiplayer.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Really upsetting to hear so much disappointment with the campaign.
My biggest issue with the campaign is one I had with Halo 4 as well - not enough ammo for human weapons. I feel as if I'm constantly running dry on the BR, DMR, and assault rifle which are the weapons I want to use most. This then requires you to pick up weapons from fallen enemies.

It wasn't until Halo 4 that I encountered "out of ammo" messages in Halo and the fifth game is much the same in that regard.

Having replayed Bungie's originals over the past year, I can say that this issue is not present in those games. You often run across downed marines or wrecked human vehicles with ammo for your weapons. The narrative of Halo 4 and 5 place characters in areas where this type of thing makes less sense and, as a result, another solution wasn't really found. You will run out of ammo for those weapons.

I was also kind of disappointed that, of the 15 missions included in the game, two of them take no more than 5 minutes to complete.

Still, it's a satisfying shooter to play and I enjoyed it. I've been playing a digital review copy but I think I'm still going to buy a retail version for my collection. If I hadn't enjoyed it, I doubt I'd be doing that. :)

jfoul

Great scores, but the story seems seems to be divisive. This will probably sit in the 87-92 range on meta critic, once all of the reviews are added.

The free maps, expanded playlists, and forge will be icing on the cake later on.

An 80s score is still really good. I don't know why people are inevitably disappointed when a major game is under 90

In the end it's just a number

Most reviews say the campaign is ok and has issues, some other reviews say the campaign has some pretty significant stuff going on and hits some great highs.

Guess no one is to be believed. If it's better than Halo 4's, I'll probably love it.

Individuals have individual opinions. I'm shocked.

Any game can be summed up in a sentence or two. Doesn't mean it is a good summary :p

The reviews for the campaign story are fairly negative. I don't think people responded to the Locke:Chief ratio well at all.

Which is odd, because while the ratio is off, the story still remains about him and what he is involved with regardless of who your playing as.

el_Nikolinho

Neo Member
sounds like destructoid reviewer didn't like the gameplay changes. Thought they were amazing in the beta, definitely needed to make changes from old halo

Ape

Banned
83 now. Damn. Still a bit to go, but I thought this would be the second highest reviewed Halo game... it's on track to be the worst reviewed Main Halo game... Somehow worse than Halo 4. :(

I'm going to have to eat some crow.

it was 83 now it's 85. it should update for you in a second

Top Bottom