• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 sales in the UK [Excludes digital sales]

IvanJ

Banned
Microsoft continues to pay the price of non-diversification.

For over a decade they rely on their 4 pillars - Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable - and they have succeeded to run them into the ground, some less some more.

Fable is dead, Forza dying, Halo is dropping significantly for ages, I think Gears will suffer the same fate next year.
Just relying too much on the same gamers to buy the same games.... we already saw how it worked for Nintendo, MS going down the same road.

FIFA, Destiny, Watch Dogs, Metal Gear, The Witcher, Mortal Kombat, & Batman all sold extremely well in the UK.

Yeah on PS4 not XB1. XB1 software sales haven't been that great in the UK.

---
I will say though that there seemed to be less interest in Halo 5 in my circle than any other Halo. I think MCC damaged the brand with more casual players.

thenameDS

Usually none of my friends buy digitally but MS published games have a fair price of £45 so quite a few did. Still this isn't the norm and in the UK I don't think digital sales would account for more than 20%. Still making it a very poor selling Halo game.
I order from SimplyGames because everything always comes more than 2 days early.

Also advertising wise, I don't see that much for Halo 5 on TV. They seem to have more adverts for Fallout 4. However I'm just getting this from Sky Sports and BT Sports. Only channels I really watch.

Ushay

Best selling in UK (Top selling), at the same time it's worst selling Halo of the series .. wat?

Seems like many old AAA franchises are on decline this generation. IP fatigue hitting across the board?

Exactly why we need new AAA IP's to reinvigorate the market, both MS and especially Sony need to act on this.

Nzyme32

From Halo 3 onwards, I pretty much lost all interest in the series for FPS play. For others it seems to be since 343 got involved. I don't think it's too surprising that interest might be waning, and probably the sales of Xbox Ones doesn't help matters when it comes to look at numbers in the UK.

Personally I just find the games so painfully prescribed and monotonous. Not had the chance to try Halo Wars but the idea sounds interesting. I think I'd like a full blown RTS out of the franchise.

Purest 78

Welp Halo 5 is a semi bomba compared to other mainline Halo releases. Amazing sales for an exclusive game in general though.

I think the game largely appeals to the same core fans and hasn't expanded it's appeal wider since Halo 3. Shooters like CoD are just on another level to Halo in the present day, no doubt Blops 3 outsells Halo 5.

I see a lot of digital arguments which is ridiculous because even if you stretch digital adoption to 30%, that would still only put week 1 sales at 195k.

Lower than Reach and ODST. Crazy shit.

Blop3 will destroy Halo5 sales on x1.

Footos22

It's meaningless to say it's the lowest selling Halo ever unless we know digital sales didn't push it over that marker. At some point in the next few years there will be more people buying digital than physical, so it's more and more important to have those stats as well.

Yeah, not in the UK. Digital prices are generally 20 quid more then the biggest online games retailers.. 20 quid. Thats what...$30

Seems like many old AAA franchises are on decline this generation. IP fatigue hitting across the board?

Meh, Blops 3 is going to blitz the charts in a week or two so clearly it's only certain franchises.

If Microsoft doesn't crow about sales soon, it's unlikely there is anything to crow about. I'm talking worldwide, or at least US.

If sales in the UK are low and I feel it's unlikely the game will do particularly well in Asia or mainland Europe, I wonder what this means for its total sales. When did the game launch in the US, and have the weekly sales numbers been published yet?

For over a decade they rely on their 4 pillars - Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable - and they have succeeded to run them into the ground, some less some more.

Fable is dead, Forza dying, Halo is dropping significantly for ages, I think Gears will suffer the same fate next year.
Just relying too much on the same gamers to buy the same games.... we already saw how it worked for Nintendo, MS going down the same road.

Actually, that was something I was wondering - does anyone know the launch week sales of Gears Remastered, or whatever it was called? I know it was a cheaper release, but I wonder how it compared to the sales of Halo 5.

'Many', as in two? AC Syndicate was following a disastrous predecessor, and Halo 4 and MCC did a pretty good double-team at battering the series, so neither of these are especially surprising. Unless there are others I'm not thinking of? Do we have any numbers for COD: Advanced Warfare compared to its predecessors?

-MD-

Windows 10 port confirmed.

Also, how bout using that Perfect Dark IP? Your entire FPS catalogue doesn't need to just be Halo.

It's not really a matter of IP fatigue but publishers doing questionable stuff with said IPs and kinda alienating their costumers. The AAA focus is slowly dying for sure but I don't think this is the case.

Halo 5 has been ~£35 retail all over the place. That is very cheap for a big new game, despite next gen tax mostly gone.

While I take onboard the cheaper than usual rip-off digital price, I doubt it's taken anymore or much more than 10-15% of sales.

I meant digital RRP which is what I was responding too, I did also say I doubted it resulted in a higher % of digital sales compared to other titles too...

Xater

'Many', as in two? AC Syndicate was following a disastrous predecessor, and Halo 4 and MCC did a pretty good double-team at battering the series, so neither of these are especially surprising. Unless there are others I'm not thinking of? Do we have any numbers for COD: Advanced Warfare compared to its predecessors?

Advanced Warfare did worse than the games before, but it might also be a case of paying for the since of it's predecessor which did well but was horrible. Real test for COD will be this year.

Congratulations MS, you turned your best franchise into something even I can't give a shit about.
lol don't be dramatic or anything
N7FGkQ8.gif

EGM1966

Usually none of my friends buy digitally but MS published games have a fair price of £45 so quite a few did. Still this isn't the norm and in the UK I don't think digital sales would account for more than 20%. Still making it a very poor selling Halo game.
I order from SimplyGames because everything always comes more than 2 days early.

Also advertising wise, I don't see that much for Halo 5 on TV. They seem to have more adverts for Fallout 4. However I'm just getting this from Sky Sports and BT Sports. Only channels I really watch.
I saw fair amount of advertising myself in UK. But with the lack of focus on MC it just didn't feel like Halo. Truth be told catching it out of the corner of my eye on a TV in a pub I thought it was a Destiny advert at first.

I really believe H4 SP and MCC release soured many on being there day one. If you just played 1 through 3 and Reach prior to H4 (which I'm sure is whee the majority of existing historic players are) then H4 felt like it had jumped the shark plot wise and MCC made you doubt their commitment to quality and stable online experience.

Mainline Halo I believe for majority is about a certain SP style and a trustworthy MP experience and prior to H5 confidence in both of those was shaken IMHO with H5 paying the price.

The perception prior to release - right or wrong - that Halo 5s SP was another narrative misfire and like Halo 2 featured less MC sure wouldn't have helped either.

Klyka

Banned
I'm honestly extremely surprised by Halo 5s Twitch viewer numbers.

It barely ever breaks 2500 if even 2000. Only on the first day or two did it have bigger numbers that then immediately fell off.
Now it's not even in the top 10 of watched games.

I would have expected a huge franchise like Halo to be much higher for longer.

People screaming digital sales need realise the digital costs in UK of games is usually much higher than can be found at retail, I doubt digital sales amount to much.

Klossen

Banned

Well Advanced Warfare did worse than its predecessors aswell. Battlefield Hardline did worse than BF4 although that one is understandable. Forza is also on decline. We don't really have that many AAA games releasing in a semi-consistent schedule to begin with.

viHuGi

Banned

True that, MS new ips have been so few it's terrible.

On the other hand Sony keeps throwing new ips at insane Rate.

And now we are seeing the result of those choices.

Hasney

Impossible to put those numbers in context without digital.

Stinkles?

Probably got to hope MCV decide to do one of their including digital charts this week. They don't always do them and they don't have numbers for every game, but it helps.

Honestly though, unless this massively bucked the overall trend, the thread title wouldn't change.

EDIT: Actually, wouldn't change much. Forgot they don't do numbers in those.

darkwing

I'm honestly extremely surprised by Halo 5s Twitch viewer numbers.

It barely ever breaks 2500 if even 2000. Only on the first day or two did it have bigger numbers that then immediately fell off.
Now it's not even in the top 10 of watched games.

I would have expected a huge franchise like Halo to be much higher for longer.

maybe people are playing the game instead of twitching

Top Bottom