• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary Opening Cinematic

DJ88

Eww, can't say I'm a big fan of this new opening cinematic. Why did they go overboard with the stars/galaxy in the background, the original was perfect. And the lighting looks off in the PoA. Original was dark and moody, new is just bright and out of place. I've liked almost everything they've done with the graphics overhaul so far, but this just seemed weird.

Some comparison pics:

AlStrong

When Halo Anniversary was announced, I was like,
captain-keyes-7.jpg

But then, "Hello, My Name Keyes"
gpyZw.jpg

pauFM.jpg

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
So what is the seventh MP map remake? GameTrailers seems to think it is "The Pit" but when you click on the video link its obvious they don't actually know what the fuck they are talking about. (edit - they corrected the title to Headlong)

blamite

At least Keyes' appearance can be blamed partially on Bungie and not 343.
Mooreberg said:
So what is the seventh MP map remake? GameTrailers seems to think it is "The Pit" but when you click on the video link its obvious they don't actually know what the fuck they are talking about.
1. Hang 'em High
2. Damnation
3. Beaver Creek
4. Timberlands
5. Headlong
6. Prisoner
and the seventh map is Installation 04, a remake of one of the beam towers where you rescue Marines on the second level of the campaign. For firefight!

ElRenoRaven

blamite said:
1. Hang 'em High
2. Damnation
3. Beaver Creek
4. Timberlands
5. Headlong
6. Prisoner
and the seventh map is Installation 04, a remake of one of the beam towers where you rescue Marines on the second level of the campaign.

It should also be noted that it's a Firefight map.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
OK thanks for the info. All that combined with the two previous map packs (danke T-Mobile) means I have to repurchase Halo Reach. I'll wait to see what happens on black friday.

GavinGT

Banned
blamite said:

Not really, though. Bungie was just being diligent by creating a model that looked the proper age. 343 seems to think they're making a Reach prequel, because their Keyes looks even younger than the Keyes from Reach.

EDIT: And his ID no longer says, "Hello, my name [is]"......did these guys even play Halo?

RAAAAAAAAAAAGE

ElRenoRaven

GavinGT said:
EDIT: And his ID no longer says, "Hello, my name [is]"......did these guys even play Halo?

RAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Yea. It annoys me that the nameplate is blank. It was the same way in Reach too.

GavinGT

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Yea. It annoys me that the nameplate is blank. It was the same way in Reach too.

I can accept it in Reach - maybe the label maker was broken at that point or something.

Seriously though, the devil is in the details. I can't believe they botched so many within this brief cutscene alone.

jizzlobber said:
More people need to watch this, especially those who remember CE running smoothly
Well I don't remember it running smoothly, thus my undying love for a proper remake on the 360 hardware. If staying true to the game means keeping a choppy framerate my dreams are dashed. Will probably wait for GAF hands on impressions since I don't expect reviews to touch on it really.

Deadly Cyclone said:
You're joking right? You realize that in order to do this they had to build the "new coat of paint" on top of the existing Halo CE framework in order to keep the gameplay exactly as it was back then right?

This just baffles me. This is a 10 year old game, and this re-make looks better than most of the HD remakes lately including SotC/Ico (not comparing the actual games, just the updates), Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, God of War pack etc.

In those cases the devs just made the game HD, in this case the devs basically rebuilt Halo 1 on top of the framework of the old game, and make it play exactly the same. Yeah it's going to have some jank, it's a 10 year old game.

Gameplay could have been kept identical without building this monstrosity. THEY STILL HAVE THE FUCKING SOURCE CODE!

Instead we get an MPless dualengine POS.

EDIT: If they want to remake it, then remake it. If they don't, then just do what Sony does and release and HD port (which is what they are, the HD ports aren't remakes). If you call it a remake, then don't keep the old engine running under it to save time and money.

blamite

GavinGT said:
Not really, though. Bungie was just being diligent by creating a model that looked the proper age. 343 seems to think they're making a Reach prequel, because their Keyes looks even younger than the Keyes from Reach.

RAAAAAAAAAAAGE
But "the proper age" for Keyes in Reach is 20 days younger than he was in Halo 1. You hand him the package on August 30, 2552, he leaves and jumps into slipspace, and on September 19, 2552 he arrives at Halo. 343 can be blamed for using the Reach model, but Bungie still made a version of Keys who has some kind of ridiculously fast aging process.

GavinGT

Banned
blamite said:
But "the proper age" for Keyes in Reach is 20 days younger than he was in Halo 1. You hand him the package on August 30, 2552, he leaves and jumps into slipspace, and on September 19, 2552 he arrives at Halo. 343 can be blamed for using the Reach model, but Bungie still made a version of Keys who has some kind of ridiculously fast aging process.

Aww, shit. I forgot how close to each the two games occurred.

scar tissue said:
Yeah. Looks pretty dated. What a shame that one of the greatest games of the last decade doesn't get the remake it deserves but just a half-assed new coat of paint.
If they don't update the animations and the gameplay (which is ridiculous already), they could've at least made sure the textures and polycount were up to date.
Eh? Have you played any of the other HD remakes? I think they're making more effort with this one than most.

Monty Mole said:
Eh? Have you played any of the other HD remakes? I think they're making more effort with this one than most.
Thing is, I'm sure a lot of people here would be fine with 1080p 60fps with widescreen and online CE multiplayer, everything else untouched. They're not wrong for wanting that, but there clearly is no pleasing everybody. I'm personally very happy with what we're getting, warts and all.

scar tissue said:
Yeah. Looks pretty dated. What a shame that one of the greatest games of the last decade doesn't get the remake it deserves but just a half-assed new coat of paint.
If they don't update the animations and the gameplay (which is ridiculous already), they could've at least made sure the textures and polycount were up to date.

Are you serious? These are on par with Halo 3/Reach.
Halo 1 polycount for characters was around 2000.
Halo 2 was around 3000.
Halo 3's polycount was around 5000.
Spartan model for Reach? About 17,000 just for the DEFAULT Spartan. Other helmets and accessories obviously added to this.

As for textures, generally Halo 1/2 512x512 textures and lower. Halo 3 was mostly 512x and 768x textures. Reach used 768x and 1024x textures for the most part.

Anniversary looks to be around Reach's level in terms of graphics. Especially considering the majority of the characters and vehicles are straight out of Reach.

GavinGT said:
Ummm....

- Keyes looks goofy
- framerate issues (the original had framerate hiccups but not in cutscenes)
- aliasing all over the place
- Johnson looks a little goofy as well
- the animations now clash with the upgraded textures (did they do any animation work?)
- the lab tech teleports like 6 inches while the cryo door is opening

+ the touched up environments look awesome

Whatever, I'll still play it and enjoy it.

You're being a bit too picky. The animations are clearly far better than those in the original game. Characters models sure could be better, but they are a nice upgrade from the ones in the original. Aliasing is not as bad as you're making it to be. Considering this remake is rendered at roughly the same resolution as Halo 3, the IQ is vastly superior, even in this shitty, terribly compressed video.

Ajemsuhgao said:
Are you serious? These are on par with Halo 3/Reach.
Halo 1 polycount for characters was around 2000.
Halo 2 was around 3000.
Halo 3's polycount was around 5000.
Spartan model for Reach? About 17,000 just for the DEFAULT Spartan. Other helmets and accessories obviously added to this.

As for textures, generally Halo 1/2 512x512 textures and lower. Halo 3 was mostly 512x and 768x textures. Reach used 768x and 1024x textures for the most part.

Anniversary looks to be around Reach's level in terms of graphics. Especially considering the majority of the characters and vehicles are straight out of Reach.

Halo 2 had less polygons then halo 1 but used normal maps instead.
Atleast that is what i heard like 5 years ago.

T-0800 said:
Halo CE runs pretty smoothly at 50hz on my PAL XBox. Not so 60hz.

Wrong. It runs even worse than the 60Hz version. It's as choppy as it gets, making some parts of the game almost unplayable. People should take off their rose-tinted glasses.

Much as I like the old keyes face I am a fan of the newer one from reach, the halo anniversary one seems like a mix of the two but feels off, mostly due to the halo 1 lip animations which I guess can't be avoided in this version.

For a game running the old and new together like this I think the game looks great, I do however kind of wish that they kept this for the next gen xbox instead of now, man what an awesome launch game this could have been!

Trunchisholm said:
Wrong. It runs even worse than the 60Hz version. It's as choppy as it gets, making some parts of the game almost unplayable. People should take off their rose-tinted glasses.
unplayable? I have a pal xbox and halo and while replaying it before reach came out it was fine, slowdown yes but not "unplayable"

gdt

Gah. I loved the new Halos, but the level design in Halo 1 was painful. They fixed that for 3/Reach. I'll get this for sure, but I'm not sure if Day 1.

DeMeester

Diablohead said:
unplayable? I have a pal xbox and halo and while replaying it before reach came out it was fine, slowdown yes but not "unplayable"

I myself have mostly played the PAL version. Until, years later, when I bought the NTSC-J release of Halo CE in Japan (2007). It really makes a big difference especially between the transition in levels of loading a new part. The PAL version always has this stuttering at these parts and the NTSC version doesn't. Beside that it just plays better.

gdt5016 said:
Gah. I loved the new Halos, but the level design in Halo 1 was painful. They fixed that for 3/Reach. I'll get this for sure, but I'm not sure if Day 1.

Painful!? I think it has one of the best level design of all Halo games including the Library. You gotta love the Library. Especially the part that me and my friends like to call the 'Dead Man's Room'. You know the part where you have to fend yourself from all the incoming Flood in a confined room.

dragonelite said:
Halo 2 had less polygons then halo 1 but used normal maps instead.
Atleast that is what i heard like 5 years ago.

Someone pointed that out earlier in a different thread.

Ajemsuhgao said:
W5aZh.jpg

Halo 1 model - 2,016 polygons.
Halo 2 model - 2,912 polygons.

Higher.

Diablohead said:
Much as I like the old keyes face I am a fan of the newer one from reach, the halo anniversary one seems like a mix of the two but feels off, mostly due to the halo 1 lip animations which I guess can't be avoided in this version.

The model is clearly the same as that of Halo Reach. People should have their eyes checked. What makes it look off is the lighting, the facial animations and the lip sync.

For a game running the old and new together like this I think the game looks great, I do however kind of wish that they kept this for the next gen xbox instead of now, man what an awesome launch game this could have been!

For all the awesomeness that could have been, I would rather have a new Halo entry. Maybe 343 can pull off a Twilight Princess and release Halo 4 for both the 360 and the Loop.

I said some parts were almost unplayable, with severe framerate drops, not the whole game.

Trunchisholm said:
The model is clearly the same as that of Halo Reach. People should have their eyes checked. What makes it look off is the lighting, the facial animations and the lip sync.

I said some parts were almost unplayable, with severe framerate drops, not the whole game.
I never said the whole game either, I just don't remember ever having a problem with dipping frame rate going so low, only when I would keep smacking a dead elite to have it bleed so much the frames drop to the sub 5's

Diablohead said:
I never said the whole game either, I just don't remember ever having a problem with dipping frame rate going so low, only when I would keep smacking a dead elite to have it bleed so much the frames drop to the sub 5's

Play co-op and use the Warthog's chaingun with a decent amount of enemies on screen. It went to single digits for me on the 360 :(

Petrichor

DJ88 said:
Eww, can't say I'm a big fan of this new opening cinematic. Why did they go overboard with the stars/galaxy in the background, the original was perfect. And the lighting looks off in the PoA. Original was dark and moody, new is just bright and out of place. I've liked almost everything they've done with the graphics overhaul so far, but this just seemed weird.

Some comparison pics:

This. the artists have completely missed the point, IMO, just adding detail and colour everywhere just because they can.

Petrichor said:
This. the artists have completely missed the point, IMO, just adding detail and colour everywhere just because they can.
I love the color in halo games, and I am really happy that they've added even more here. Sure, it's a matter of opinion, but after the relatively drab reach (relative to the series, not relative to other games), I'm happy to see more of the rainbow.

soldat7

gdt5016 said:

You'll be happy to know that they seemed to have ruined the Library. I hear it's a happy place full of lighting and guidance now.

soldat7 said:
You'll be happy to know that they seemed to have ruined the Library. I hear it's a happy place full of lighting and guidance now.
I don't think it looked ruined. They've used lighting to make each part more distinct, so that it's harder to get turned around, but I don't think they've made it brightly lit or added sign posting to it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
scar tissue said:
Whether you like what's been done or not, a lot of work has been done on this remake. Probably more than on any other I can think of to be honest. If you look even at something like SotC and Ico, other than some new textures, new motion blur etc. there hasn't been new work done on them as much as here. The only thing I guess it's just that animation in those games was great in the first place so it doesn't look dated today. That's one thing that's definitely not been original Halo's strong suit.

TheOddOne

plagiarize said:
I don't think it looked ruined. They've used lighting to make each part more distinct, so that it's harder to get turned around, but I don't think they've made it brightly lit or added sign posting to it.
I think he was being sarcastic :p

Lord Error said:
Whether you like what's been done or not, a lot of work has been done on this remake. Probably more than on any other I can think of to be honest. If you look even at something like SotC and Ico, other than some new textures, new motion blur etc. there hasn't been new work done on them as much as here. The only thing I guess it's just that animation in those games was great in the first place so it doesn't look dated today. That's one thing that's definitely not been original Halo's strong suit.

Yep, the ICO and SotC ports get a ton of praise, while almost nobody seems to be happy with the Halo:CE remake. I don't get it; I just don't.

Yeah, the Keyes model is exactly the same as Reach but they cut the texture res on it down. Likely because the cinematic has to traverse the bridge, the deck, and into the Cheif's cryo chamber without missing a beat. The Reach cine is just where it is located without any travel.

I think that looks great, I wasn't going to pick this up because I was insulted they weren't doing the standard 2 games in the package deal... but I might have to re-evaluate that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the remake looks absolutely great IMO - even if its a little overcooked in some ways. however, i'm most excited for the 7 reach maps that will come with this and the new matchmaking hoppers. reach needs some good quality maps and the 6 on offer should do nicely.

Top Bottom