• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Campaign Gameplay Premiere – 8 Minute Demo

Leyasu

Banned
Its actually "content complete".
Really? We'll see, but I have zero problems with being wrong.

If so, then I'll revert to what I said a couple of weeks ago. If it comes in 2021 it will be a graphical letdown and they will completely overhaul the grfx in 2022.

I need some new Halo.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
"343 Just needs to shut up and make the game"

"Why won't 343 say somthing?????"

These guys literally can't win.

I can empathize with the people complaining. A lot of Halo fans feel like they haven't had a real Halo game in over 10 years.

On one hand seeing the Chief in the classic armor is making people hopeful that it is a return to form. On the other hand we still don't know much about the game at all. We haven't seen anything about the multiplayer or the game outside of the lackluster demo. Given that it was supposed to release a month ago there is a feeling that we should have seen more. With previous games we had seen the entire sandbox, multiplayer footage, campaign footage, developer vidocs, and even played a beta months before launch. The fact that we had not seen anything until June was very peculiar for a Halo release. The delay has also been handled poorly, we went from a definite release date to not even having an idea of when to expect an update all while rumors about turnover and studio problems have been swirling through the news.

Not only that but it is frustrating to see Halo in the state it is in. The game went from being not only one of the biggest FPS titles but one of the biggest video game franchises to being irrelevant almost overnight. Reach was a bit of a misstep but 4, MCC, and 5 were all outright flops. With each iteration 343 has promised "We hear you, we understand what you want, and we are going to deliver" but they never have. On top of that there are several instances where they have outright misled the fans. Not only that but there has been a lot of lip service paid to the idea of transparency but no action. As I said earlier we don't even know what the game is like beyond a tiny slice of the single-player. There was also a promise that every Halo release would have a beta after the MCC debacle but they were seemingly prepared to launch Infinite without one.

I think there is a degree of insult to injury when we've learn about the game from marketing tie ins for food and toys before we hear things from 343 themselves. This connects to one of my biggest complaints with 343-their focus on transmedia and merchandising. There has been an increased focus on media, toys, and tie in products seemingly at the games' expense. 343 has even talked about their focus on building Halo up as a multi-media franchise; frustrating when they have yet to release a game that has resonated with fans. It often feels like the games are second fiddle.

I used to be a huge Halo fan. Still consider myself a fan but, like Star Wars, I no longer get excited for new entries. It has been clear to me since the release of Halo 4 that 343 is not interested in making the Halo games that I want to play. They have a fundamentally different idea of what Halo is than I do. It is incredibly disappointing for me as a long time fan. I miss Halo and I find it frustrating to see the franchise limp along in the state it has been for the past decade. I never had much faith in Infinite but I empathize with those who did.

--
Also Bernkastel Bernkastel is correct-the game should be "content complete". We know that the delay is to get the game in a shippable state and that there won't be any changes to the game's structure. Given the timeline of the delay as well there is no possible way that they wouldn't be content complete. The delay would have to be more about the technical side and refinement of sandbox, mechanics, systems, encounters, etc. They could add more content but I doubt they would want to increase scope at this point given how much of a disaster things have been. Klobrille is a Xbox hype man on Twitter but there isn't any reason to doubt that the game is content complete.

Last edited:

PaNaMa

Banned
For whatever reason, we all feel entitled to some kind of news/update/early look at the improvements since Auugst. As fans, we have invested a lot in the franchise over the years and we were incredibly disappointed by what was over promised and under delivered for Halo Infinite. Still, at this point it's better for them to not release anything and just keep plugging away. Roll it out holiday 2021

the_master

I don't care if they talk or if they don't. Of course I would like to know everything about it, but it is not up to me to verify that they are making the right choices. It will be up to me to buy the game, play the shit out of it and verify if they did a good job. So I want them to go a good job above anything else, they can chose to tell me how they are doing it (I would liek to know) or not tell me a single thing :)

OrtizTwelve

Honestly I think the demo looked good and it looked like traditional Halo. I think people were expecting some sort of realistic graphics akin to Modern Warfare but Halo has always had a certain style to it.

I think what needs work is the lighting and effects, and perhaps maybe some art design. Those tall pillars in the background look weird and off, and I know they're part of the "alien world", but it just doesn't look right. The audio sounds good though and I like the "oomph" of some of the weapons.

At least it looks like it plays like Halo.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Honestly I think the demo looked good and it looked like traditional Halo. I think people were expecting some sort of realistic graphics akin to Modern Warfare but Halo has always had a certain style to it.

I think what needs work is the lighting and effects, and perhaps maybe some art design. Those tall pillars in the background look weird and off, and I know they're part of the "alien world", but it just doesn't look right. The audio sounds good though and I like the "oomph" of some of the weapons.

At least it looks like it plays like Halo.

Exactly it looks more like the original Halo than any other Halo sequel. We haven't seen the multiplayer yet either.

Andodalf

Banned
On the Topic of Cobranding happening despite the game not coming out, it sucks but that happens when a game is delayed. The products were slated for production and had to be made. There's no way around it. You'd have to break contracts with factories to not produce them, only to then not have anything to sell in stores because you don't have you regular non branded product ready. No company wants to literally have 0 stock for months because a video game got delayed, that's multi-billion dollar loss for some of the huge branding partners.

I think where 343 messed up on the demo was a failure to recreate the same "WOW!" experience Bungie did with Halo 2 back when it had a reveal at E3. See the video for reference. That's how you show-off a game, even if it is scripted.

Halo 2 was a massive disappointment because it failed to live up to this trailer visually, or in the overall scope of the game. They wanted to avoid that and showed a continuous 8 min trailer of where the game was really at, in the middle of a pandemic, when no other company was showing anything but 2 minute heavily edited sizzle reals. The hate the trailer got is really really stupid.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
On the Topic of Cobranding happening despite the game not coming out, it sucks but that happens when a game is delayed. The products were slated for production and had to be made. There's no way around it. You'd have to break contracts with factories to not produce them, only to then not have anything to sell in stores because you don't have you regular non branded product ready. No company wants to literally have 0 stock for months because a video game got delayed, that's multi-billion dollar loss for some of the huge branding partners.

Halo 2 was a massive disappointment because it failed to live up to this trailer visually, or in the overall scope of the game. They wanted to avoid that and showed a continuous 8 min trailer of where the game was really at, in the middle of a pandemic, when no other company was showing anything but 2 minute heavily edited sizzle reals. The hate the trailer got is really really stupid.

While the graphics were a slight disappointment gameplay looked solid for me. It was halo

OrtizTwelve

That's why I said I think it was overblown, I mean -- fans have been asking for original Halo roots and that's what they got pretty much. It really looked like a reimagining of Halo Combat Evolved, even the beginning scene with the crash on the planet. The style looks GOOD.

I think it just comes down to finishing touches -- lighting, shadows, and effects. I'm sure the game will be fun and will do very well.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
While the graphics were a slight disappointment gameplay looked solid for me. It was halo

Some of it was massively overblown though, like people with the arrows saying 720p etc. The game uses VRS and the whole point of that is to save performance on areas the player isn't looking at, they just didn't understand what they were looking at.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Even though that trailer was false, Halo 2 is still the best Halo ever made from a narrative stand point.

SpartanN92

Banned
Just remember guys that 343i seriously thought their game would be ready for release 2 weeks ago... I can only imagine the shitstorm happening behind the scenes. I think something else is happening. Hear me out...Why haven't we seen even a glimpse of multiplayer yet? I understand delaying the entire game for 6-12 months to fix the single player but if I were a shot caller at 343 I'd be showing off the multiplayer already (and releasing a beta roadmap, or at the very least allowing influencers to play a bit and share their experience) to try and build some hype/get back some good will.

Something else is fundamentally wrong with this game if they aren't even giving us glimpses of MP yet.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I think they should have aimed for graphics that are in some of their fmv's as they're as good as anything I've seen.

The graphics like that but with the game play style they've shown is a definite purchase from me and an end to stupid memes.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Just remember guys that 343i seriously thought their game would be ready for release 2 weeks ago... I can only imagine the shitstorm happening behind the scenes. I think something else is happening. Hear me out...Why haven't we seen even a glimpse of multiplayer yet? I understand delaying the entire game for 6-12 months to fix the single player but if I were a shot caller at 343 I'd be showing off the multiplayer already (and releasing a beta roadmap, or at the very least allowing influencers to play a bit and share their experience) to try and build some hype/get back some good will.

Something else is fundamentally wrong with this game if they aren't even giving us glimpses of MP yet.
Pierre Hintze (who was responsible for fixing MCC) is now overseeing the multiplayer of Halo Infinite.

Hezekiah

Banned
Some of it was massively overblown though, like people with the arrows saying 720p etc. The game uses VRS and the whole point of that is to save performance on areas the player isn't looking at, they just didn't understand what they were looking at.
I think people knew exactly what they were looking at - that's the problem.

Matsuchezz

They should cancel the game and create something new and original. The same with gears of war. Those games are in their last legs and MS STUDIOS are trying to keep them alive but in reality they are dying with every iteration.

i bet when they finally release halo instead of a soundtrack a cd will be included with several tracks where Phil Spencer explain why the game rocks even though it looks like ass and a bunch of made up reasons we all must love the game.

Last edited:

Good points.

People don’t seem to remember that 343 and Xbox were shocked at the fan’s reaction. It was only then that they decided to delay the game. So fans involvement was necessary to avoid Infinite coming out and being a dud.

That is why it isn’t wise for them to continue in the dark. Some how they haven’t learned that lesson.

oldergamer

I think where 343 messed up on the demo was a failure to recreate the same "WOW!" experience Bungie did with Halo 2 back when it had a reveal at E3. See the video for reference. That's how you show-off a game, even if it is scripted.

....but the game didn't look like this. They literally threw that demo out and started over.

JLB

Banned

Not necessarily; they probably want to align release of Single Player and MP, so if one gets delayed, the other as well.
In any case, I never found graphics to be THE issue with Halo Infinite, but the concept of open-worldish-with-objectives mechanics that were demoed. Halo SP needs to be a highly curated, linear 8 to 10hs campaign. Like Halo 4 or Reach, but better. The other experiments should be part of the MP component.

JLB

Banned
They already have, three times now

Quite unfair, you might like H4 or not, but that game is far from a fail, indeed its one of the best IMO, and a technical masterpiece. Even today H4 looks unbelievably good.
MCC wasa complete disaster for a looong time, but since at least 2 years is awesome and pretty much every single issue was resolved. Also, 4k, 120fps, HDR, ODST and Reach added to the collection, etc. Bit unfair as well to label it as "fail" and move along.
Finally, Halo 5. Yes, campaign is bad. Story is completely lacky. But MP is fantastic and its easily, with COD the most responsive gunfire -not including destiny II because in console is not 60fps yet, but once update is released, those 3 are at a different league-.

Last edited:

SpartanN92

Banned
After infinite releases they shouldn't be allowed to make halo games anymore.
I’m telling you it’s the executive leadership.
The team/day to day employees are fine. It’s the shot callers... It’s Bonnie Ross, Frank oConner, Kiki Wolfkill and Chris Lee (He recently resigned his position though I’d say he was the LEAST guilty of the 4)

Quite unfair, you might like H4 or not, but that game is far from a fail, indeed its one of the best IMO, and a technical masterpiece. Even today H4 looks unbelievably good.
MCC wasa complete disaster for a looong time, but since at least 2 years is awesome and pretty much every single issue was resolved. Also, 4k, 120fps, HDR, ODST and Reach added to the collection, etc. Bit unfair as well to label it as "fail" and move along.
Finally, Halo 5. Yes, campaign is bad. Story is completely lacky. But MP is fantastic and its easily, with COD the most responsive gunfire -not including destiny II because in console is not 60fps yet, but once update is released, those 3 are at a different league-.

The fact that you're forgiving for the clusterfuck of the MCC being fixed after literally YEARS after release is ridiculous.

This isnt a No Man's Sky situation where they were actively working on the game, developing new game mechanics to its bare bones release over the course of time.

This is a fucking collection of games that were released so poorly, and then abandoned for years, before slowly being picked up again and patched to where it is now.

They didnt add to the game, they just fixed it after YEARS.

Fuck that.

I can play and enjoy the MCC, dont get me wrong, but clearly they screwed over so so many people who wanted to enjoy it from Day 1.

Top Bottom