• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Campaign Gameplay Premiere – 8 Minute Demo

oldergamer

Anyway, some interesting information provided today. I'm looking forward to seeing something new about the game. Hopefully it will be soon.

JimiNutz

Banned
The fact that they were working on the MP before the SP is some good news at least as the MP should be much more polished and further along.

Hopefully they release a beta for that early in 2021.

TBiddy

Then it's poorly worded. He talks about the 2018 trailer, then talks about the game being put together and the engine being a compromise and finishes it off with "the engine is now beefier"

He's clearly referring to the 2018 trailer the entire way. How on earth did you arrive at the conclusion that the gameplay we saw was pre-rendered in-engine?

Last edited:

the_master

"In engine" means that the engine renders it, but the game logic does not need to be running: Collisions, ai, characters, projectiles, streaming, physics.
This also means they can bump up detail, quality and do some better lighting or post processes.

Some in game cinematics take advantage of the same benefits.
You can clearly see it even in the 8inute halo infinite gameplay. When the gameplay transitions to cinematic, the lighting becomes way superior. Check when the mc sstarts the cinematic with the brute.

"In engine" means that the engine renders it, but the game logic does not need to be running: Collisions, ai, characters, projectiles, streaming, physics.
This also means they can bump up detail, quality and do some better lighting or post processes.

Some in game cinematics take advantage of the same benefits.
You can clearly see it even in the 8inute halo infinite gameplay. When the gameplay transitions to cinematic, the lighting becomes way superior. Check when the mc sstarts the cinematic with the brute.
Even the in game cinematics were worse

bndRVzR.png

I am not sure how this new Halo will fare in the modern world. The demo revealed basically Halo: Combat Evolved remaster but I don't it is enough anymore. Infinite needs more details, better reflections, more interactivity, some dynamic terraforming or whatever.

Even COD is a more packed game despite being the same game again and again.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Halo 5 running on the XsX with auto HDR looks better than what they showed in July for infinite. Like a lot better. People with a 4K tv that is capable of decent HDR should check it out.

I personally think that infinite is either going to come in 21 and be a graphical letdown until a complete overhaul in 2022, or it will be a 2022 title.

343 seem to have put themselves in an awkward position.

Halo 5 running on the XsX with auto HDR looks better than what they showed in July for infinite. Like a lot better. People with a 4K tv that is capable of decent HDR should check it out.
Saw that. Yeah. Just like I mentioned before, Halo Infinite looks like Halo: Combat Evolved remastered (I bet if run with BC it will look not much different LMAO).

343 seem to have put themselves in an awkward position.
Yeah, no idea what 343 was thinking.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
How did they fuck it up so badly with so much money thrown at it... I just don't get it, surely someone at the top seen a vertical slice of the game and said "this fucking looks last Gen, you cunts are all fired" but nah instead he said "this looks class let's show the world".... Fucking monkeys running monkeys over at haloland

All_Might

I know I have joked about this game, and the way it looks, but this game really does have a lot of potential. I love Halo 2&3, in my opinion still one of the best Multiplayer. I just want Halo to return to those glory days.

nemiroff

Gold Member

Refreshing take. When I watched the gameplay demo the graphics never even register (graphics do matter, but..) because I immediately saw beyond that, because as a fan of Bungie's Halos the video's potential and "return to roots" (even with added mechanics) feeling, like mentioned in the video, made a rather positive vibe. But I never posted about it nor participated in "the discussion" because the memes ate it all up like a black hole. And that's kinda funny because I've been one of 343's biggest critiques and have more or less hated the place they've taken the series to.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Saw that. Yeah. Just like I mentioned before, Halo Infinite looks like Halo: Combat Evolved remastered (I bet if run with BC it will look not much different LMAO).

The Sunion level on Halo 5 looked amazing when I gave it a quick whirl. Finally probably hitting a full 4K with the HDR was impressive.

Halo 5 was obviously impacted by the xbone, but with the one x patch you could finally see the grfx coming through. On the XsX though, it is like what they wanteed to do.

With that in mind and what was done graphically with Halo 4, 343 are more than capable in the grfx department. I really think that need to shake up the management over there.

The Sunion level on Halo 5 looked amazing when I gave it a quick whirl. Finally probably hitting a full 4K with the HDR was impressive.

Halo 5 was obviously impacted by the xbone, but with the one x patch you could finally see the grfx coming through. On the XsX though, it is like what they wanteed to do.

With that in mind and what was done graphically with Halo 4, 343 are more than capable in the grfx department. I really think that need to shake up the management over there.
The good thing is that Halo Infinite really looked like Halo Combat Evolved, so it might finally be Halo. But what were they thinking with such graphics I don't know. I find it ironic that Halo 4 and Halo 5 had good graphics but were bad Halo games. While Infinite it seems to be a good Halo game with bad graphics.

At this point Halo: Infinite should really be 9/10 or 10/10. Because otherwise, Halo will turn into less popular CoD.

Last edited:

Be it Halo 4's multiplayer or Halo 5's singleplayer, the criticisms towards them from longtime fans and players were completely valid.

But you gotta give it to 343i to make some drop dead gorgeous Halo games, especially that Halo 4 campaign towards the end of the 360 gen.

Even more reason to be surprised that this demo showcase for Infinite (irrespective of dev hell rumors) was made by these guys...

Leyasu

Banned
Be it Halo 4's multiplayer or Halo 5's singleplayer, the criticisms towards them from longtime fans and players were completely valid.

But you gotta give it to 343i to make some drop dead gorgeous Halo games, especially that Halo 4 campaign towards the end of the 360 gen.

Even more reason to be surprised that this demo showcase for Infinite (irrespective of dev hell rumors) was made by these guys...
Yeah totally agree. Like I said earlier, if it does come next yr, i think that they will overhaul the grfx within a yr. i can easily see this game not hitting until 2022. When they have this game looking great.

I do have faith that they will finally hit the right notes with the campaign and MP. I personally think that Halo 5 MP is best ever, and probably the best small based MP of the generation.

Refreshing take. When I watched the gameplay demo the graphics never even register (graphics do matter, but..) because I immediately saw beyond that, because as a fan of Bungie's Halos the video's potential and "return to roots" (even with added mechanics) feeling, like mentioned in the video, made a rather positive vibe. But I never posted about it nor participated in "the discussion" because the memes ate it all up like a black hole. And that's kinda funny because I've been one of 343's biggest critiques and have more or less hated the place they've taken the series to.

My friend and I felt the same way.. We didn't get where all the hate was coming from. The game looked fun?

Just hoping the story is good and fun, I don't need a graphical powerhouse tbh.

YukiOnna

At the very least, the post-launch raytracing update should be incorporated into the game among other milestones they wanted to hit, but couldn't due to launch restraints. Phil's comment about it not being essential to XSX's launch lineup hopefully means they got ample amount of time to do what they need.

More than the graphics, it gives them time to polish any of the gameplay features and the future content updates on the Infinite platform. Personally, that's all I care about. As long as gunplay is good, the new features are fun, and Chief is main protagonist? I am happy.

Last edited:
Halo 4 - we are going to be more transparent
MCC - we are going to be more transparent
Halo 5 - we are going to be more transparent
Infinite reveal - we are going to be more transparent

I think they lack the understanding of what transparency means.

Dialog with fans my ass, stop farting in my Spartan suit with your PR hot gas. I'm sick of the stink.

Andodalf

Banned
Halo 4 - we are going to be more transparent
MCC - we are going to be more transparent
Halo 5 - we are going to be more transparent
Infinite reveal - we are going to be more transparent

I think they lack the understanding of what transparency means.

Dialog with fans my ass, stop farting in my Spartan suit with your PR hot gas. I'm sick of the stink.

How was infinite not transparent, they showed 8 mins of straight footage when every other next gen game was only showing well cut clips

How was infinite not transparent, they showed 8 mins of straight footage when every other next gen game was only showing well cut clips

How about -
  • Betas
  • Gameplay mechanics
  • Modes
  • Maps
  • ARGs
  • ViDocs on various topics
  • Engine insights
  • Industry presentations
  • Blog posts
  • Forums interactions
  • Q&As
  • Concept art
  • Teases for new things e.g. PvE content?
  • Content roadmap post launch
  • API for tracking game stats/community involvement
  • Matchmaking changes to improve population or region support
So post reveal we found out the Slipspace engine trailer was fluffed by a marketing team and not actual in game being played/filmed. This game was supposed to come about a week ago. Did that reveal give you transparency about how it was built, the design or development decisions, what modes you can play, what multiplayer looks like, is there MTX, is there coop, will there be seasonal content, what their esports/pro team has been up to, what they are doing differently to previous releases etc etc etc etc.

I get campaign has elements to be kept secret story wise. Everything else about this game is in the dark and vaulted in the studio. Just like 343 has been since its inception and that is not being transparent, that is not progress from where you started and it's certainly not ticking the boxes of what your PR/community management has been touting since Halo 4 released.

It's the poncho Chief all over again. It better not be fucking MCC all over again.

Meanwhile studios like Respawn have been killing campaign in Fallen Order and multiplayer in Apex Legends. All with smaller teams, smaller development times and far less support direct from Xbox/MS.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

This game is entering another 3 years of delays.

They re alot further behind then they thought they would be and that reddit post makes me think, they've literally tore it up and started again maybe taking some of the assets etc forward.

Yikes.

Andodalf

Banned
How about -
  • Betas
  • Gameplay mechanics
  • Modes
  • Maps
  • ARGs
  • ViDocs on various topics
  • Engine insights
  • Industry presentations
  • Blog posts
  • Forums interactions
  • Q&As
  • Concept art
  • Teases for new things e.g. PvE content?
  • Content roadmap post launch
  • API for tracking game stats/community involvement
  • Matchmaking changes to improve population or region support
So post reveal we found out the Slipspace engine trailer was fluffed by a marketing team and not actual in game being played/filmed. This game was supposed to come about a week ago. Did that reveal give you transparency about how it was built, the design or development decisions, what modes you can play, what multiplayer looks like, is there MTX, is there coop, will there be seasonal content, what their esports/pro team has been up to, what they are doing differently to previous releases etc etc etc etc.

I get campaign has elements to be kept secret story wise. Everything else about this game is in the dark and vaulted in the studio. Just like 343 has been since its inception and that is not being transparent, that is not progress from where you started and it's certainly not ticking the boxes of what your PR/community management has been touting since Halo 4 released.

It's the poncho Chief all over again. It better not be fucking MCC all over again.

Meanwhile studios like Respawn have been killing campaign in Fallen Order and multiplayer in Apex Legends. All with smaller teams, smaller development times and far less support direct from Xbox/MS.

That kinda stuff gets pushed back when your game gets delayed, especially in a pandemic

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Possibly more info soon
We see that you, our community, have so many questions and are hungry for more information. We know. We hear you. We understand.
As hectic and crazy as 2020 has been, I think we'll be ending the year on a pretty strong note.

Camreezie

The good thing is that Halo Infinite really looked like Halo Combat Evolved, so it might finally be Halo. But what were they thinking with such graphics I don't know. I find it ironic that Halo 4 and Halo 5 had good graphics but were bad Halo games. While Infinite it seems to be a good Halo game with bad graphics.

At this point Halo: Infinite should really be 9/10 or 10/10. Because otherwise, Halo will turn into less popular CoD.
It's been a less popular COD for most of the last decade

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Possibly more info soon

So probably a month from now.

It boggles my mind that even after all this time, they still haven't shown us anything new.

When that trailer came out, I wasn't as critical about it as others were, as I assumed they would quickly follow it up with a new trailer or some impressive screenshots.

Instead, they just let the internet run with the Craig meme, delayed the game, announced the removal of the old armor system, and now still haven't shown us anything new.

They've been working on this game for so many years now, yet they can't record some cool campaign moments or some new screenshots to calm the fanbase down?

Gives me the impression that things are much worse than we thought...

mansoor1980

i think the BRUTES always looked comical compared to the ELITES................343 shud just put a helmet on their face and get over with craig

Last edited:
If all they can upload are this boring ass audio recording clips then the game must be in a very very terrible state... STILL...

Transparancy, no turtling etc... my ass

I think thats an old video. They seem to be re uploading their instagram stuff but yeah, after 5 months, it's not really too much to ask for a small update. Wonder what the delay will amount to in the end.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
This is the third time 343i has denied battle royale rumors.

"We’re in the process of pulling together a year-end update."

Last edited:
Top Bottom