• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite gameplay was running on a PC, not on Series X

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
We have seen the complete opposite on average at our company, software and gaming (just not console gaming but still a FTSE 250 one) and I can speak for the area I lead but I have seen the results across the board. Still, even if it were to go down we are talking about after a while a d we have not been in lockdown for years...

Everyone is on the same boat so not sure why their top IP after so many years of work is in this state and not running on series X yet.

Did MS want so desperately win the TFLOPS battle they waited until the last possible moment to tune the design to run at that frequency with those specs and thus had the final HW assembled super late compared to PS5? It still does not explain why 343i is so behind IMHO.
Nice one for your company. I think it's hit & miss. Some people work better from home, others not so much. Didn't ND also delayed TLOU2 the second time with COVID as the reason?

Not sure why it wasn't running on XSX, and no clue how development is going there. 343i is a pretty tightlipped ship

Psykodad

Banned
Nice one for your company. I think it's hit & miss. Some people work better from home, others not so much. Didn't ND also delayed TLOU2 the second time with COVID as the reason?

Not sure why it wasn't running on XSX, and no clue how development is going there. 343i is a pretty tightlipped ship
TLOU2 didn't look like shit though, neither does Ghost of Tsushima, or any of the PS5 footage, or AC Valhalla/Cyberpunk for that matter.

Last edited:

Caio

Ok, I waited 48 hours before posting something. I'll try to be calm and very well educated. 343I has been said for some time that they were very excited about how Halo was shaping up, and very proud of their new Slipspace Engine, which they consider the most sophisticated and impressive Engine ever, or almost. This game has been in development for 5 years, and 343I received a massive budget from MS. Phil and his team mates have been hyping the Power of XSX to death, the Velocity architecture, the fantastic work made by MS, with plenty of hardware and software optimizations. Then Phil said that after seeing the PS5 Event he was feeling even more confident about their Show on the 23rd of July, and the power advantage in terms of visuals and performance. Now, the fooking show starts, and we watch Halo Infinite which looks like a Launch PS4 Game at 4K, and wait, now we discover is not even running on XSX, but on a PC... what is it this crap Phil ? What the hell are you doing, this is embarassing for you, and it's like to spit in the face of all Halo fans who thought they were going to see something running on XSX and taking advantage of its features and power.
I still can't believe what I have seen ! Thanks Gosh I waited 48 hours before posting again here. The fooking Halo was in development for 5 years on a brand new Slipspace engine, and what we got is a piece of crap running on a PC ? What is this ? People are now talking about an early build ? An early build ???? An early build after 5 years, and presented at the most important XSX Event to promote the new MS Console ?
I have been reading this "world premiere" "world premiere" "world premiere" "world premiere" "world premiere" "world premiere" "world premiere" "world premiere" "world premiere", and in the end I got a pathetic Halo running on a PC and no other real Gameplay ? Where is the gameplay ? Just trailers, trailers. For me Phil is dead. I'm not even sure XSX will be a day one now. I'm furious.

Last edited:

geordiemp

I think I found out why from b3d

The leaked MS documents that apparently mentioned the lockart, also meantioned performance issues with the dev kits due to the hardware decompression / SSD according to B3D mod.

xwOyrDj.png

mmmmm

Ascend

I can’t believe people are this naive.
If you really think that pop will be non existent with the upcoming console generation you are setting yourself up to be massively disappointed.
Non-existent is a stretch for the whole generation. But the hardware is there for things to be programmed in a way that it should no longer be a problem.

Jokerevo

Banned
It now makes sense why Phil was hinting that Halo Infinite may not be ready for holiday release. The game looks like it needs another year in development. They need to delay this shit and not release it this holiday or risk permanently ruining this franchise for good.

It needs to be an XsX exclusive. This is your flagship. It's supposed to scream ONLY ON X. Give me reason to buy your console ffs.

The game needs a new engine or support for legacy needs to be scrapped. 343 are being restrained by the mandate that the game must be accessible to every gamepass owner....that 12 flops is being reduced to 4

rob305

Ok, I waited 48 hours before posting something. I'll try to be calm and very well educated. 343I has been said for some time that they were very excited about how Halo was shaping up, and very proud of their new Slipspace Engine, which they consider the most sophisticated and impressive Engine ever, or almost. This game has been in development for 5 years, and 343I received a massive budget from MS. Phil and his team mates have been hyping the Power of XSX to death, the Velocity architecture, the fantastic work made by MS, with plenty of hardware and software optimizations. Then Phil said that after seeing the PS5 Event he was feeling even more confident about their Show on the 23rd of July, and the power advantage in terms of visuals and performance. Now, the fooking show starts, and we watch Halo Infinite which looks like a Launch PS4 Game at 4K, and wait, now we discover is not even running on XSX, but on a PC... what is it this crap Phil ? What the hell are you doing, this is embarassing for you, and it's like to spit in the face of all Halo fans who thought they were going to see something running on XSX and taking advantage of its features and power.
I still can't believe what I have seen ! Thanks Gosh I waited 48 hours before posting again here. The fooking Halo was in development for 5 years on a brand new Slipspace engine, and what we got is a piece of crap running on a PC ? What is this ? People are now talking about an early build ? An early build ???? An early build after 5 years, and presented at the most important XSX Event to promote the new MS Console ?
I have been reading this "world premiere" "world premiere" "world premiere" "world premiere" "world premiere" "world premiere" "world premiere" "world premiere" "world premiere", and in the end I got a pathetic Halo running on a PC and no other real Gameplay ? Where is the gameplay ? Just trailers, trailers. For me Phil is dead. I'm not even sure XSX will be a day one now. I'm furious.
boYsIFI.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don’t buy it. Sounds like damage control because of the pop in memes putting a wrench in their “Velocity Architecture” API narrative.

Throwing the PC under the bus. Shame.

Last edited:

GHG

As dramatic as this is, I wish more people were contacting Spencer and Greenberg like this on Twitter instead of massaging their stinky feet.

Riven326

Banned
It depends, don't automatically assume things have improved. According to an interview I read with Kutaragi on PS2, it was theoretically miles ahead of what we can even achieve today. We've actually regressed from what PS2 / PS3 were supposedly able to do.
That's nonsense. Not trying to belittle you here, but I think you've been taken in by the marketing for those machines. Which was very effective, no doubt, but false nevertheless.

Kutaragi, with all due respect, was full of crap. This is the guy that called Xbox 360 "Xbox 1.5" in an attempt to mitigate the fact that not only was it easier to develop games for, but it was also the superior machine. That's why all the third party games looked and ran better on X360. It was the better machine, just like the original Xbox was better than the PS2.

So again, I give a lot of respect to the father of the PlayStation. But don't take what he said as fact. He was always trying to sell the product that he helped engineer. I'm actually very happy with Cerny. He doesn't belittle the competition or try to sell PlayStation consoles by making them out to be something that they're not.

jigglet

Banned
That's nonsense. Not trying to belittle you here, but I think you've been taken in by the marketing for those machines. Which was very effective, no doubt, but false nevertheless.

Kutaragi, with all due respect, was full of crap. This is the guy that called Xbox 360 "Xbox 1.5" in an attempt to mitigate the fact that not only was it easier to develop games for, but it was also the superior machine. That's why all the third party games looked and ran better on X360. It was the better machine, just like the original Xbox was better than the PS2.

So again, I give a lot of respect to the father of the PlayStation. But don't take what he said as fact. He was always trying to sell the product that he helped engineer. I'm actually very happy with Cerny. He doesn't belittle the competition or try to sell PlayStation consoles by making them out to be something that they're not.

that was a joke man...

Your big reveal and your top franchise : the best way to get people jump in is obviously to show it on PC. What's wrong with you guys ?

This is pure genius :
1) people say it looks gorgeous : power of xsx of course
2) people say it looks bad : well in fact you haven't seen the real thing. This is running on a pentium 2. Imagine on xsx...

So many shallow promises...

Top Bottom