• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite gameplay was running on a PC, not on Series X

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
This is actually good news.

The pop-ins seen will likely not be present on the XSX, unless they made the game to take advantage of an SSD on the PC (which I doubt they did). And it can potentially look better on the XSX than on the PC, just like what they're doing with Gears 5.
Additionally, we don't know what the build date of this demo is.
Ahhhh the classic technique of showing your game in a bad way, on a superior hardware, just to surprise everyone, even better when it is time to show how powerful your next gen console is.

So to show how powerful their console is and minblow everyone they just showed a PC running an older build of a game that would look better on the actual console a few months before it releases.

But not show a better build on hte actual console because ...?

There's nothing to your hypothesis even worse to be called a hyposthesis it would at least need some basis ...The main porblem is as of now we haven't seen any next gen games running on an actual Series X.

You would argue that we can't judge then but you also have to wonder 2 things:
1. Is there a reason we haven't seen the console running any next gen game yet ?
2.Why what everything that was show was lackluster ?

And the simplest answer to all of the above is MS fucked up.

Boast about the power?Then show something amazing.
Show us why 12 CONSTANT TF is better than what sony did.
But right now we've seen jack shit and there's already been 2 events dedicated to it.

Just look at how people reacted to them, it is a bloodbath and not because MS is secretly hiding the power of the console .... Thinking about it it is the exact same logic behind misterxmedia during the Xb1 period...

Sometimes it is good to break the illusion and even if the ps5 has less TF it showed better looking games...

Ah, the "my dog ate my homework" approach to game development
No. Legit issues that are plaqueing the majority of games/developers right now. Notice how theres no gameplay of Spiderman Morales and its a launch game. Look how rough AC Vallhala looks. Still haven't seen gameplay of Cyberpunk 2077 on console. The list goes on. We haven't seen gameplay of the new COD.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

LOL all you want. Gears 5 has adopted settings that are higher than PC Ultra settings. And unless they were using a 2080Ti, the XSX is pretty much as powerful as any other PC out there. Most likely they were using a 2080(S).
You jump from not even knowing about the news, to knowing which hardware part was used specifically.
You have a wild imagination kid

Ascend

You jump from not even knowing about the news, to knowing which hardware part was used specifically.
You have a wild imagination kid
Not knowing about what news? wtf are you on about? I never said which hardware they used specifically either. I said which PC hardware is currently available to be used. And it is still a fact that the XSX is in the range of a 2080S, and the only thing more powerful is a 2080Ti. My statement stands as is.

And about the 'kid' statement, the fact that you have to resort to that kind of language says more about you than me.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

No. Legit issues that are plaqueing the majority of games/developers right now.
Ubisoft, EA, Sony, Nintendo all managed to have shows with competent gameplay and graphics.
If issues were that serious to affect development by this degree, then they should delay the game.

The reality, and we knew, was that Infinite's development was very messy, and being forced to develop on last-gen only made things worse.

This is actually good news.

The pop-ins seen will likely not be present on the XSX, unless they made the game to take advantage of an SSD on the PC (which I doubt they did). And it can potentially look better on the XSX than on the PC, just like what they're doing with Gears 5.
Additionally, we don't know what the build date of this demo is.

I see a lot of this from Xbox fans lately

A lot of hope

Good luck to you :messenger_tears_of_joy:

On Demand

Banned
My word doesn’t 343 have 500 hundred people working there?

What are they doing that they still don’t have SX code running? None of this makes sense. Saying it’s a PC build is even worse since if it looks like that on PC then that’s not good for the SX version.

PSlayer

This was the PC:

235573.jpg

Tulipanzo

Not knowing about what news? wtf are you on about? I never said which hardware they used specifically either. I said which PC hardware is currently available to be used. And it is still a fact that the XSX is in the range of a 2080S, and the only thing more powerful is a 2080Ti. My statement stands as is.

And about the 'kid' statement, the fact that you have to resort to that kind of language says more about you than me.
You're completely making up which hardware they might be using to justify Halo's poor showing.
Still, more than happy if you have this imagination as an adult.

Sony doesn't seem to be suffering much from covid affecting development.
Here is the problem. Most of COVID-19 related issues started mid March. Schools closed, offices closed... whatever. E3 was cancelled.

But what they showed yesterday was meant for E3. And what they were gonna show at E3 was pretty much set in stone about the time COVID-19 effected working in offices.

So Microsoft saying what they showed was old was always gonna be true. So it is a non factor.

Hope that makes sense GAF

We are just several months away from the Xbox One Series X launch and the release of Halo Infinite.
How and why the hell are they showing a PC build? Surely, surely, these things must be running on real Series X hardware by now?

Ascend

You're completely making up which hardware they might be using to justify Halo's poor showing.
Still, more than happy if you have this imagination as an adult.
It's not as if I said they were using a RTX 2060 or an RX5500. So your attempt at ridicule is completely baseless. Guess you know shit about hardware if you think me picking a 2080S as the likely card is somehow an attempt to justify Halo's poor showing. And I'm the one that's imagining things... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
But what they showed yesterday was meant for E3

So two questions then:
  1. If yesterday was what should have been at E3, what was their event that did happen in May then?
  2. It has been well over a month since E3 should have happened, almost 2 months. Are you telling me, just a few months from launch, nothing happened in those 7 weeks or so that would have been worth adding to the event that eventually happened yesterday?

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

It's not as if I said they were using a RTX 2060 or an RX5500. So your attempt at ridicule is completely baseless. Guess you know shit about hardware if you think me picking a 2080S as the likely card is somehow an attempt to justify Halo's poor showing. And I'm the one that's imagining things... 🤷‍♂️
I mean, I think MS wouldn't choose specs to make their game look worse than it does running on actual hardware, but maybe they're as massively incompetent as you suggest.

Psykodad

Banned
Here is the problem. Most of COVID-19 related issues started mid March. Schools closed, offices closed... whatever. E3 was cancelled.

But what they showed yesterday was meant for E3. And what they were gonna show at E3 was pretty much set in stone about the time COVID-19 effected working in offices.

So Microsoft saying what they showed was old was always gonna be true. So it is a non factor.

Hope that makes sense GAF
You do realize that doesn't change all that much, right?
And there is no evidence that it’s a 6 month old build, just that it’s a "work in progress".
On top of that, it's running on PC and XSX launches in 4-5 months.

Besides, it's clear that MS' word isn't trustworthy in anyway.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
So... that's it? I mean, I just expected it to look like a true generational leap. This looks like Halo 5 with the CE art style. I understand it's a work in progress, but damn. I'm more impressed with a few of the PS4 games.

Dabaus

Banned
Im certain Halo will be delayed to sometime next year. The series x might launch without it but i wouldnt be surprised if it gets delayed too. Has anyone mentioned that with new details coming out that its looking like this reveal will be worse than the original xbox one reveal?

Ubisoft, EA, Sony, Nintendo all managed to have shows with competent gameplay and graphics.
If issues were that serious to affect development by this degree, then they should delay the game.

The reality, and we knew, was that Infinite's development was very messy, and being forced to develop on last-gen only made things worse.
Sony got pinned for not showing a lot of gameplay in their 1st party as well. Where was Spiderman gameplay, it launches this holiday. Where was gameplay of DS Remaster? Ratchet was really the only big title that got a gameplay demo. GT got like 3 seconds of footage? HZ2 just got a cinematic trailer. I rest my case.

And no, i'm not bashing sony here.

Last edited:
So two questions then:
  1. If yesterday was what should have been at E3, what was their event that did happen in May then?
  2. It has been well over a month since E3 should have happened. Are you telling me, just a few months from launch, nothing happened in those 7 weeks or so that would have been worth adding to the even that eventually happened yesterday?
1. A clusterfuck
2. Your guess is as good as mine. But my guess is they had this demo ready for E3, E3 got cancelled. Halo was always gonna be first in their show. Show they just used that demo. They just delayed showing the E3 demo.

turtlepowa

Banned
I’m not so sure about that, especially after yesterday. Is there anyone more excited about the XSX today than they were 24 hours ago? I think, by comparison, the PS5 reveal got a lot of people very hyped about the system. I know it did for me.
90% of the gamers don't even watch or know about those shows. Microsoft has no chance to get many core gamers not matter how good or bad the show was and the casuals don't give a shit about Halo or other exclusives. They want their BF/COD/FIFA/Fortnite/GTA/RDR/Madden and so on and whoever has the cheapest console at launch gets their money.

Last edited:

Aion002

So it might run even worse? They had one year ahead of Sony announcing the console and still can't show Halo running on the damn thing? This next gen will be fun!

Tulipanzo

Sony got pinned for not showing a lot of gameplay in their 1st party as well. Where was Spiderman gameplay, it launches this holiday. Where was gameplay of DS Remaster? Ratchet was really the only big title that got a gameplay demo. GT got like 5 seconds of footage? HZ2 just got a cinematic trailer. I rest my case.
You're now shifting from "Halo Gameplay looked bad because of covid" to "but Sony didn't have enough gameplay".
This is a pretty shitty justification when I specifically brought up multiple companies besides Sony.
You seem way too much into console wars frankly

Ascend

I mean, I think MS wouldn't choose specs to make their game look worse than it does running on actual hardware, but maybe they're as massively incompetent as you suggest.
So you're saying they used a 2080Ti. That's perfectly possible. It still doesn't address the SSD and pop-ins though.

And I do agree that Halo Infinite was not as mind-blowing as everyone was expecting. Even the first trailer last year, I wasn't really blown away with its graphics, although it does have some great tech in terms of interactive physics. The game looks somewhat like plastic. I still don't think it's impossible for the visuals to at least slightly improve before launch. It is a good idea to not count on it to avoid disappointment. But that doesn't mean it's impossible either.

Sony got pinned for not showing a lot of gameplay in their 1st party as well. Where was Spiderman gameplay, it launches this holiday. Where was gameplay of DS Remaster? Ratchet was really the only big title that got a gameplay demo. GT got like 3 seconds of footage? HZ2 just got a cinematic trailer. I rest my case.

And no, i'm not bashing sony here.

So why was Insomniac able to deliver a good demo but 343 couldn't?

Senua

LOL all you want. Gears 5 has adopted settings that are higher than PC Ultra settings. And unless they were using a 2080Ti, the XSX is pretty much as powerful as any other PC out there. Most likely they were using a 2080(S).
You mean like..."insane" settings? which are from the PC version. LOL

You do realize that doesn't change all that much, right?
And there is no evidence that it’s a 6 month old build, just that it’s a "work in progress".
On top of that, it's running on PC and XSX launches in 4-5 months.

Besides, it's clear that MS' word isn't trustworthy in anyway.
It is bad no matter how you look at it.

The evidence that this build is old is there. All demos aren't of current time. Even a demo release right now to the public isn't gonna be the most current.

What they showed yesterday is what was meant to be shown at E3. And that stuff is always months in the making.

That brute face isn't because it is an old build. That brute face IS the brute face of Halo Infinite.

INC

So you're saying they used a 2080Ti. That's perfectly possible. It still doesn't address the SSD and pop-ins though.

And I do agree that Halo Infinite was not as mind-blowing as everyone was expecting. Even the first trailer last year, I wasn't really blown away with its graphics, although it does have some great tech in terms of interactive physics. The game looks somewhat like plastic. I still don't think it's impossible for the visuals to at least slightly improve before launch. It is a good idea to not count on it to avoid disappointment. But that doesn't mean it's impossible either.

Incase u need something to clutch
HkotWec.jpg

Tulipanzo

I'm saying they wouldn't use hardware that makes the game look worse, either GPU or SSD-wise. You say MS are that incompetent, but it feels very fanboyish to me.

The game also looked severely downgraded from either of its previous showings.

Hmmm

Top Bottom