• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite - No Co-op or Forge at launch

Umbasaborne

Banned
No one was promised Co-op, let alone Forge, they were expected. Expectation vs reality can hurt sometimes, but you'll get through these tough times, bud.
Its a core feature of the series!? Thats like buying a new 2d mario game and there aren't any power ups in it until 3 months after launch. Im not the one to blame for having unrealistic expectations when 343 are the ones who went into this project with a scope that they could not manage and it came at the cost of core fucking features.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

No one was promised Co-op, let alone Forge, they were expected. Expectation vs reality can hurt sometimes, but you'll get through these tough times, bud.
They didn't outright say it but this is pretty close to a promise. They said they would never release another halo without split screen support which insinuated co-op.

Its a core feature of the series!? Thats like buying a new 2d mario game and there aren't any power ups in it until 3 months after launch. Im not the one to blame for having unrealistic expectations when 343 are the ones who went into this project with a scope that they could not manage and it came at the cost of core fucking features.
Yeah. How could one expect co-op at launch, after 1 year delay when it was in any game before and no couch co-op was one of the biggest mistakes of Halo 5 according to the head of the studio.

Always the fans with high expectations...

Wrong, the game isn't missing core gameplay elements, it's only missing a couple features at launch. Those features do not hinder a majority of peoples experiences. SO while I play the fuck out of Infinite on Legendary, you can hang back and not play. Won't bother me a bit.

They didn't outright say it but this is pretty close to a promise. They said they would never release another halo without split screen support which insinuated co-op.
Which is still coming to the game. Chances are the overhaul they did on the visuals and various other things pushed the Coop and Forge modes out to ensure the game was what people wanted. Unfortunate for them, you can't please everyone.

They most likely could have sent out a shitty buggy version on Coop and Forge, but that would have been an MCC catastrophe if they did that. Nobody wants that, which is why it's coming in an update. What also would be worse, is if they didn't update the game at all.

All I'm learning more and more, thanks to the power of the internet is, "Gamers" are entitled as fuck and need to brough back a couple rungs. It's funny though, even the most picky of the bunch still buy the game Day 1, and if they don't it doesn't hurt sales whatsoever.

Last edited:
Because im sick of games releasing unfinished. I dont want to reward them by engaging with their incomplete product.
Games like Halo Infinite and Sea of Thieves will get continuous support. New modes and levels will keep getting added. If they held off release until there was nothing left to update these games would never come out. Think of SoT waiting to release until after the Pirates expansion was done. This is the nature of live service titles. I'm bummed Halo Infinite doesn't have Co-op at launch but I'm willing to at least see what they release before getting outraged and calling it incomplete. They said 3 months, lets see if they make this time frame.

MarkMe2525

Wrong, the game isn't missing core gameplay elements

"Chances are the overhaul they did on the visuals and various other things pushed the Coop and Forge modes out to ensure the game was what people wanted. "

"They most likely could have sent out a shitty buggy version on Coop and Forge, but that would have been an MCC catastrophe if they did that. Nobody wants that."
Hence, why I suggested they release multiplayer this fall and delay campaign until it's ready. Co-op is a series staple that people want. Now that doesn't seem too entitled does it?

Hence, why I suggested they release multiplayer this fall and delay campaign until it's ready. Co-op is a series staple that people want. Now that doesn't seem too entitled does it?
Stopping a complete multi-million dollar game from releasing because a small element is not complete? Give it to me now, I'll play coop when it get's here. As I said, the majority of people won't use the feature.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Games like Halo Infinite and Sea of Thieves will get continuous support. New modes and levels will keep getting added. If they held off release until there was nothing left to update these games would never come out. Think of SoT waiting to release until after the Pirates expansion was done. This is the nature of live service titles. I'm bummed Halo Infinite doesn't have Co-op at launch but I'm willing to at least see what they release before getting outraged and calling it incomplete. They said 3 months, lets see if they make this time frame.
The “promise” of live services (the “oh but subscription optimised games will only make things better” bit) according to so easy that games would get the same core base game they would always get AND they would keep getting extensions and updates/improvements over time.

Now, we are moving the goalpost to releasing something smaller than we used to give people before and slowly adding features bit by bit… keep people subbed longer and longer, I get the business model not the praise from gamers…

MarkMe2525

Stopping a complete multi-million dollar game from releasing because a small element is not complete? Give it to me now, I'll play coop when it get's here. As I said, the majority of people won't use the feature.
It's not a zero sum game. No game gets worse with more time and it's not like 100% of resources would be dedicated to including co-op, everything would be getting polished. But to each his own, I'm willing to wait. Hell, I think it should be delayed until proper Next Gen features like raytracing could be implemented.

The “promise” of live services (the “oh but subscription optimised games will only make things better” bit) according to so easy that games would get the same core base game they would always get AND they would keep getting extensions and updates/improvements over time.

Now, we are moving the goalpost to releasing something smaller than we used to give people before and slowly adding features bit by bit… keep people subbed longer and longer, I get the business model not the praise from gamers…
Do you have any evidence that we are getting something smaller or that the developers held something back? This game in particular was always advertised as having seasonal content and getting updates for the coming years. There are plenty of successful games using this model of content delivery. Destiny 2 is one such example and I don't think we would be better off if that game was delayed until Witch Queen. For a single player offline title I could see a person complaining about missing features to be delivered at some future time. This isn't that.

It's not a zero sum game. No game gets worse with more time and it's not like 100% of resources would be dedicated to including co-op, everything would be getting polished. But to each his own, I'm willing to wait. Hell, I think it should be delayed until proper Next Gen features like raytracing could be implemented.
You're right and I'm glad we have the option to either pretend the game doesn't exist until it has the features you want or play it at launch as it is AND play in the future with additional content. Options are good.

I heard raytracing was going to be missing on its original launch. I have not heard it was still not implemented for current generation consoles this year.

FireFly

I think that's an industry issue, not one specific to "Live" titles. The high initial cost of making games and the ability to patch them easily means we are moving more towards an "Early Access" model where consumers are effectively beta testers. In that context, an initially smaller scale but more polished product seems like a better option than a mess like Cyberpunk.

Dr Bass

Do you have any evidence that we are getting something smaller or that the developers held something back? This game in particular was always advertised as having seasonal content and getting updates for the coming years. There are plenty of successful games using this model of content delivery. Destiny 2 is one such example and I don't think we would be better off if that game was delayed until Witch Queen. For a single player offline title I could see a person complaining about missing features to be delivered at some future time. This isn't that.

You're right and I'm glad we have the option to either pretend the game doesn't exist until it has the features you want or play it at launch as it is AND play in the future with additional content. Options are good.

I heard raytracing was going to be missing on its original launch. I have not heard it was still not implemented for current generation consoles this year.
Isn't an announcement of features not being there on launch date proof of something being held back? I mean, come on.

It's cool and all, but it's also a massively overrated feature in my eyes. You're comparing co-op to no power ups in a mario game? You reached a little far there. Having no power-ups in a mario game is like having no access to grenades or energy shields in Halo, something far more essential to the gameplay of a Halo title. Let's not exaggerate what co-op is now. It's a great feature to have, but it's a feature I quite literally don't even use and would sacrifice in a heartbeat if it meant a more impressive singleplayer campaign.

It is a core feature. Fundamental as Joseph Staten himself said - and anyone saying otherwise - you’ve been playing halo wrong. There. That is my final opinion. They also reiterated multiple times split screen co op would be available at launch throughout this development so… I don’t know why people are getting annoyed that many of us are rightfully extremely disappointed by this.

Last edited:
Isn't an announcement of features not being there on launch date proof of something being held back? I mean, come on.
Not having co-op and forge is not the same as missing levels. The fact that this game is seasonal shows this game was always going to get additional content. Are you even aware this isn't like any previous Halo title? I'm willing to play the game BEFORE getting outraged.

It's cool and all, but it's also a massively overrated feature in my eyes. You're comparing co-op to no power ups in a mario game? You reached a little far there. Having no power-ups in a mario game is like having no access to grenades or energy shields in Halo, something far more essential to the gameplay of a Halo title. Let's not exaggerate what co-op is now. It's a great feature to have, but it's a feature I quite literally don't even use and would sacrifice in a heartbeat if it meant a more impressive singleplayer campaign.
I honestly can’t fathom how you could be a halo fan without playing it co op - it’s part of the draw of the series.

dcmk7

Banned
Yep, considering it's been there day one for all previous titles you would have thought they would have had this ready. They had a huge amount of development time, resources, budget & even had an additional year to get it polished. It's quite a fuck up.

Last edited:
I honestly can’t fathom how you could be a halo fan without playing it co op - it’s part of the draw of the series.

This is why I say people need to stop making wild assumptions about why people play Halo. I have never in my entire life played Halo co-op. I DO NOT LIKE THE PRESENCE OF OTHER PLAYERS IN MY SINGLEPLAYER STORY EXPERIENCES. It has nothing to do with Halo, I'm like this for all games with a major singleplayer component. I don't like people killing off enemies for me that I want to kill at my own pace, to trigger story or gameplay sequences that I want to trigger myself. Perhaps after I've thoroughly enjoyed the singleplayer component myself I might entertain the possibility of co-op, but that desire has never occurred to me even once in all my years playing the Halo games.

I play Halo for the solo campaign experience. I want to play experience them by myself. I don't even play Halo MP either. I've played Halo MP once my whole life. Halo 3 MP beta that came with Crackdown.

This is why I say people need to stop making wild assumptions about why people play Halo. I have never in my entire life played Halo co-op. I DO NOT LIKE THE PRESENCE OF OTHER PLAYERS IN MY SINGLEPLAYER STORY EXPERIENCES. It has nothing to do with Halo, I'm like this for all games with a major singleplayer component. I don't like people killing off enemies for me that I want to kill at my own pace, to trigger story or gameplay sequences that I want to trigger myself. Perhaps after I've thoroughly enjoyed the singleplayer component myself I might entertain the possibility of co-op, but that desire has never occurred to me even once in all my years playing the Halo games.

I play Halo for the solo campaign experience. I want to play experience them by myself. I don't even play Halo MP either. I've played Halo MP once my whole life. Halo 3 MP beta that came with Crackdown.
Hey man I’m just saying I’m willing to bet a lot of the success of halo is around the social aspect of the game - and that includes campaign - you might like to play it solo but there are plenty of solo FPS games that are just as good as a solo experience. You working together with someone else through the game is where their campaigns shine the most. It’s like when people go back and call Halo CE boring - yeah it’s boring if you play it alone. It’s playing in the sandbox with someone else where the magic comes through

EDIT: and by the way there are plenty of games I wouldn’t play co op - Last of Us or like Skyrim or something? Nah. It’s really this franchise only that I believe it’s necessary to.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

You don't play Halo for the story, you play it for the gameplay/fun. At least, given the writing in Halo, I think that would be the case for most people. The story is just backdrop for the shooting action. I played through all of the Halos I played with friends. There is no denying that was always a big draw of the series.

You don't play Halo for the story, you play it for the gameplay/fun. At least, given the writing in Halo, I think that would be the case for most people. The story is just backdrop for the shooting action. I played through all of the Halos I played with friends. There is no denying that was always a big draw of the series.
Exactly - I’m willing to bet most of the people who prefer campaign (like me) prefer to play it with friends and do not give a fuck about the actual confusing as hell storyline. It’s not like the halo games are masterful stories, any of them - the gameplay is what makes it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think that's an industry issue, not one specific to "Live" titles. The high initial cost of making games and the ability to patch them easily means we are moving more towards an "Early Access" model where consumers are effectively beta testers. In that context, an initially smaller scale but more polished product seems like a better option than a mess like Cyberpunk.
I get that, but it feels odd… it is also a false dichotomy IMHO: as if getting very messy games at launch or early access reduced games we need to spend monthly fees to get the old full experience I used to get were the only two choices. I do hope it is not the case, not convinced yet.

JayK47

Guess I should not be surprised. What games release complete these days? For me, the only reason to ever play a Halo game is coop.

I play it for the story universe, the characters AND the gameplay. I buy every Halo novel out there.

These are just the ones within my reach that I could take a picture of. I got so many in my shelves, some in boxes in my closets. I love experiencing Halo as a solo affair.

G6Ubagh.jpg

Hey man I’m just saying I’m willing to bet a lot of the success of halo is around the social aspect of the game - and that includes campaign - you might like to play it solo but there are plenty of solo FPS games that are just as good as a solo experience. You working together with someone else through the game is where their campaigns shine the most. It’s like when people go back and call Halo CE boring - yeah it’s boring if you play it alone. It’s playing in the sandbox with someone else where the magic comes through

EDIT: and by the way there are plenty of games I wouldn’t play co op - Last of Us or like Skyrim or something? Nah. It’s really this franchise only that I believe it’s necessary to.
But people are acting like it’s not coming. It’s frustrating, honestly. No delays just stop whining because it’s not coming day 1.

Havoc2049

v4ILwkX.jpeg

Tams

Not a Halo player here, but at least you're getting it.

I think the only time critical thing is the multiplayer. Even for a multiplayer as popular as Halo, the first month or so after a game launches is really the best a game will see as that's when the most people will be playing.

That said, not having some key features at launch does somewhat take the shine off of it. At least it'll only rely on a handful of people to play though, probably real life friends/acquaintances, so it won't have the same problems as multiplayer.

FireFly

I get that, but it feels odd… it is also a false dichotomy IMHO: as if getting very messy games at launch or early access reduced games we need to spend monthly fees to get the old full experience I used to get were the only two choices. I do hope it is not the case, not convinced yet.
Most games with ongoing support (what I was calling "Live" titles) are financed by microtransactions, not ongoing fees, and Infinite doesn't seem to be an exception to that, since the multiplayer is launching as F2P. In a world where Gamepass didn't exist, it's not clear that Infinite would be much different. Halo 5 also launched with a limited selection of maps and modes and was "made complete" post-launch.

ZywyPL

Banned
I see a lot of discussion going on the internet whether the game should've been delayed again or not, but with Halo is a very tricky one given it has this hybrid distribution solution where the SP campaign is paid while MP is F2P (both modes supposedly fully completed), so the question is what should've been delayed? The SP campaign? The MP mode? Both?

MP is F2P so I personally see absolutely no reason to delay it, people won't lose anything, let them have fun and alternative for CoD and BF. SP without co-op from what I read is a big deal for die-hard Halo fans, so maybe that should indeed get delayed until both modes are there, because people will be paying for it full price upfront.

Now Forge is the most difficult aspect to judge, because which mode should it ship with? SP? Doesn't really make sense because it's a tool for MP mode, right? MP seems obvious, but then like I said, it's F2P, and I really don't think it should be delayed for all the people out there who enjoy the beta and don't give a crap about an editor that's used by a tiny fraction of the userbase.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I think Halo Infinite will be good but more buggy than previous Halo titles

But I also thought Halo 5 Guardians would be good, so who knows

Wondering GIF by memecandy

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So no co-op at launch is equal to a reduction in game content?
Yes, that is the definition of it… less content == reduction of game content.
You are really grasping at straws or just trying to keep a straight face while typing here… no Forge and no co-op at launch is a reduction in game content.

Nobody is saying the game is going to be a horrible scam or anything, but your refusal to allow anything less than “if MS is doing it, it has to be 100% perfect and reasonable” is something I can best politely describe as religious like.

Last edited:

NoobForce

Neo Member
Does anyone remember except MC and Arbiter, Bungie actually made another 2 unique elite characters with full name and backround for Halo 3 Co-op campaign? It's definitily me being old-fashioned.

Yes, that is the definition of it… less content == reduction of game content.
You are really grasping at straws or just trying to keep a straight face while typing here… no Forge and no co-op at launch is a reduction in game content.

Nobody is saying the game is going to be a horrible scam or anything, but your refusal to allow anything less than “if MS is doing it, it has to be 100% perfect and reasonable” is something I can best politely describe as religious like.
No we just have a different definition of reduction in content. It is a game mode. It is not missing levels. It is not releasing the campaign in episodes. It is the same game but you can play with your friend. That is NOT a reduction in game content. Most importantly it is coming in 3 months. Just like the Xbox Series launch it's not how you start its how you finish. This fall is looking very different than last and perhaps that bothers you.

Miss me with the 'MS is perfect' nonsense. Just because I am not willing to make a mountain out of a molehill doesn't mean MS isn't called out regularly for its mistakes. I said right from the start it's a bummer but I can put it into perspective. My fandom of gaming is certainly nothing like the devotion some people on this forum have for one specific platform and it certainly isn't Xbox. I am just so moved that Sony's biggest fans are so concerned for Xbox exclusives all of a sudden. Such caring people. 🤗

Top Bottom