• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

Actually one thing mentioned in one of the streams was that Locke is called Locke "in this timeline"

Anyone else hear that? I have a feeling we already know Locke as someone else.

Jun, The Sniper from Halo Reach who left with Halsey?

Buck? :)

Maybe it's just the fact that he is called Agent Locke now. He finally decided to get out of the hatch.

/s

Edit: top of the page? I'll continue the picture tradition thing, here's some nightmare fuel:
e3-2014-halo-2-anniversary-cinematic---prophet-of-regret-98c2ba427d724dbd9777a537eb5f4ccf.jpg

LNBL

I have to say, I'm still shocked that they will have the entire multiplayer suite from all four games.

Maybe they just add Halo 5 on top of it? That would be awesome.

Was just about to note this, imagine them being able to implement Halo 5 into this system as soon as it's released. (besides having a standalone Halo 5 MP ofcourse)

Red

I have to say, I'm still shocked that they will have the entire multiplayer suite from all four games.
That's what blows my mind. I still like H:CE more than the others, and that alone would have sold me, but having all four games, even the ones I formerly wasn't as enthusiastic about, all on one disc? I didn't know how sweet that would sound until I heard it confirmed.

The only thing keeping me from pre-ordering it outright right now is the lack of a collector's edition. It'd be amazing to get a CE like the Halo 3 Legendary collection. This disc sitting in a simple XBone case seems like such a misrepresentation of its greatness.

And if a PC version came out, I'd double dip in a heartbeat. I'm most excited for the Halo 3 improvements. Can't wait to see how character customization is in the game too.

And will it be able to import any of our Halo 2 / 3 / 4 online stats? I wonder.

I hope Halo 4's multiplayer doesn't have as much pop-in at 1080p/60fps.

Damn the thought of 4 players Scarab battles in glorious 1080p.

I've played a shit-ton of Halo 3 campaign. Hours upon hours.

I'll spend days just exploring the levels to gaze in awe at the detail. There's some serious labour of love going on right there.

I could make a infinite list with little details most players don't even notice.

1080p will make them shine.

Hopefully it will also have proper texture filtering and anti-aliasing.

I hope they go back and make some tweaks to the CE Anniversary side of the package. While the visual update was mostly great, there were still some spots that could use more polish. Decals on metal surfaces, Forerunner doors, HUD elements like the sniper's crosshair. There were some visual bugs on the classic graphic layer as well.

SFenton

You would have to really love Halo I suppose. Remasters never do that well let alone sell systems.

Based on what we've seen, I'm pretty sure this will actually move heavy units.
I can't describe it- it's a remaster, but the general gaming public is perceiving it as something way more.

(also isn't it like #1 on Amazon's best-sellers right now?)

Woorloog

Banned
i just hope they wont "retire" mc and replace him with this new character

I reckon the story will be told from two viewpoints, Locke's and the Chief's. Perhaps ODST like, mixed with Halo 2? You play with Locke first, find out something, jump to the Chief and play a bit, back to Locke and so on.

LNBL

Based on what we've seen, I'm pretty sure this will actually move heavy units.
I can't describe it- it's a remaster, but the general gaming public is perceiving it as something way more.

(also isn't it like #1 on Amazon's best-sellers right now?)

It is and I'm confident this will move hardware as well. Especially in a bundle form.

J-Roderton

Will grab an Xbox One for this. After losing all faith in Halo and not touching it after Halo 4 this has me hyped. Can't believe I could play H2 multiplayer in HD. So good. Day fucking one. Glad it comes with the beta for the new one. At least we can try it out first.

jem0208

You would have to really love Halo I suppose. Remasters never do that well let alone sell systems.

This is more than just a remaster though. It's not possible to play CE and 2 online anymore yet they're adding the entirety of their content in. On top of all the campaigns.

This will sell tonnes and is certainly the mainline exclusive this year for the Xbox.

This game is selling Xbox ones like hotcakes . People underestimate the power of the halo 1 and halo 2 and halo 3 multiplayer community.
A lot of people I know from halo 1 pc getting and Xbox one now.

Was just about to note this, imagine them being able to implement Halo 5 into this system as soon as it's released. (besides having a standalone Halo 5 MP ofcourse)

We'll see how it works going forward but I'm not sure I'll ever want to return to the days of having 12 maps to play...

That's what blows my mind. I still like H:CE more than the others, and that alone would have sold me, but having all four games, even the ones I formerly wasn't as enthusiastic about, all on one disc? I didn't know how sweet that wound sound until I heard it confirmed.

I honestly thought it was too good to be true. When people were saying that there could be the entire MP suite included, I thought they were crazy/setting themselves up for disappointment.

ryan299

Wouldn't be surprised if they did a collectors edition like the one for ODST. 100 bucks, comes with a custom Halo x1 controller.

I wonder what the achievements will be like. 1000 for each game, doubt they use the Halo 2 PC ones, but I'm curious if CEA, 3 and 4 will have new base achievements. I already have them all, I'd do it again, but I rather have something new. I just hope if there are multiplaer achievements they don't encourage boosting, no rank achievements, I don't want people to play the game naturally rather than going for something crazy and ruining the flow of multiplayer.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Has there been any more single player footage besides the Cairo Station one's from last night? Also, any cutscenes in action? Would love, love to see more!

jem0208

The only problem I can see with this is the massive disconnect you're going to get switching from one game to the next. Jumping from CE textures and gameplay to 4 is going to be very jarring.

Obviously this is completely unavoidable and is an inherent problem with having all the games in one. They couldn't really remaster every single map.

This is just me massively nitpicking btw. This is the first game I have ever pre ordered as soon as it was announced so I'm very excited.

Random17

Halo 5 will be like Halo 2 is my bet.

You will switch between Chief and Agent Clarke missions a la Chief and Arbiter missions. Clarke is probably tasked with hunting chief down. That's my take on it anyway.

This is what I was thinking as well.

Also, I think this is a good point to talk about Campaign structure as well. I'm going to add a blanket spoiler warning for the Halo 1-4 stories just in case.

Most of the Halo games have two distinct parts to the Campaign, with an exception to ODST and Halo 2.
Beginning:

CE, 3, Wars, Reach and 4 have similar starting missions. The player is familiarized with the game over relatively docile locations, and this is when the game's sandbox is slowly introduced to player.

Twist
Ah, what a twist! In CE it was the release of the Flood, which changes the gameplay, level design and atmosphere for the game. Ditto with Halo 3 and the Portal revelation, although the Ark/Covenant are the exceptions to the rule as they are the sandbox missions of Halo 3. Either way, after the twist, the plot accelerates rapidly. In Halo 3's case, 80% of the plot involved events after the mission "The Storm". In Halo Reach, the arrival of the supercarrier changes the Campaign from one about random missions targeting Covenant advance groups, to a story about desperation and survival. (Big battles was never really a thing, although the start of LNOS was nice). In Halo 4, the twist comes slightly earlier, with the awakening of the Didact. In Halo Wars, it involves the kidnapping of Anders.

Either way, the plot in each game shifts into the correct gear 40% of the way through.

Climax

The final section of each game involves three-four sided battles, and the story is concluded.

----------------------------------

Halo 2 and ODST were different. ODST had a non-linear campaign structure, although I'm going to concentrate on Halo 2 here.

Halo 2:

One of the reasons why Halo 2 is my favorite Halo campaign is due to the "Act" structure of the Campaign. Significant elements of the story are present throughout the game, ranging from the attack on New Mombasa, to the death of the Heretic leader. Basically, Halo 2's plot isn't all concentrated at the end of the game

Halo 2 can be split into 3 acts:

-The Heretic to the end of Metropolis. Opening act, introduces the Covenant, and sets up the story for Halo 3 ODST and Halo 3's first half. 1 cutscene, 3 MC missions.
-The Arbiter to Regret. Shortest act, but two notable characters die; the Heretic Leader and the Prophet of Regret. (With two bad boss fights). Their deaths are very significant to the rest of the plot. 2 Arbiter missions and then 2 MC missions.
-Final Act; the largest act for the remainder of the game. Full galactic war, the board is set and the pieces are moving for the next game.

I'd speculate that Halo 5 might actually be something similar.

-It will probably start off with the MC doing whatever the fuck he wants to do.
-Locke follows, twist in Act 1 to get the wheels moving.
-Act 2 involves 1 or 2 significant events which setup Act 3, and perhaps even the next Halo game as well. Locke and the Chief will likely meet at one point, and perhaps even go their separate ways to fight the battle on two fronts. I wouldn't be surprised if the Chief ends up fighting the Flood, while Locke deals with the Covenant/Prometheans. Expect multiple three-four sided battles later in the Campaign.
-Act 3 involves full galactic war, the board is set and the pieces are moving for the next game.

Falagard

The only problem I can see with this is the massive disconnect you're going to get switching from one game to the next. Jumping from CE textures and gameplay to 4 is going to be very jarring.

Obviously this is completely unavoidable and is an inherent problem with having all the games in one. They couldn't really remaster every single map.

This is just me massively nitpicking btw. This is the first game I have ever pre ordered as soon as it was announced so I'm very excited.

In multiplayer, yes the CE graphics and gameplay are going to seem very primitive compared to Halo 4. In fact, I bet its going to be pretty interesting to see how rose colored my glasses are when I play my favorite MP of the series, Halo 2, alongside the others haha.

Campaign will look great throughout all them, though.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Pre-TU melee was messed up, but the TU did address that, tightened the BR, and made grenades fairly useful.

Halo 3's melee was awful either way.

Having both people die when you both hit melee at the same time was dumb.

Getting rid of BR spray went way beyond dumb. I remember reading the bungie weekly update about it and laughed hysterically at how poor of an update it was... even the side by side pic with just one dark black dot in the center of the crosshairs.

Grenades were fine since launch.

Ryan_IGN

Wow, I'm cited a lot in the OP. Thanks GAF! Glad I could help get the word out on this. Obviously I'm ludicrously excited about MCC. :)

Frankie, really happy to see this:

Frank: Splitscreen is supported. System link is in the plan and we'll have more to say about that later. System link is tricky even at the best of times. But the plan currently is to make everything work the way you'd expect.

Return of the Halo CE LAN parties!!!

Falagard

Anybody have a link to Stinkles hinting?

Dammit Frankie I saw you only yesterday! Why didn't you heavily hint to my face :((

It was on Neogaf... Someone asked if that was Fillion's voice in the Halo 5 trailer saying "let's Move" or whatever and Stinkles said "I'll be in my bunk"... Obvious Firefly reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom