• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: MCC might not use dedicated servers (update: p2p only as fallback, post #278)

stryke

That being said, I thought Microsoft said one of the advantages of developing on the Xbox One would be that Azure-based dedicated servers could be utilized by developers for free.

It's only free during development. Once you ship a product devs pay.

Although I'm not sure what the intricacies are with 1st party cos... well you'd be paying yourself...

It is not P2P most the time. Not in my experience at least. It may fall back to P2P if there is trouble with the servers or maybe it has something to do with making matchmaking quicker IDK. This should get confirmed before a lot of people get the wrong impression.

EL CUCO

It seems the cloud, in the short term at least, is about dedicated servers and how they make multiplayer gaming more seamless.

And that - finally - is how Microsoft is now referring to the cloud.

"You picked up on exactly that," Phil Harrison told me at E3 last week.

"Xbox Live is the service. Dedicated servers is the benefit. That is the reason why these games are going to be better, why the experience for multiplayer is going to be better.

"And we're being clear, hopefully around all of the games that will take advantage of it, whether it is a game like Forza Horizon 2, or whether it's Halo: The Master Chief Collection, particularly the Halo 5: Guardians multiplayer beta."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...one-cloud-message-shifts-to-dedicated-servers

Vestal

Gold Member
This is the way it SHOULD work:

You (and everyone else) connects to a server that sorts thru everyone, and places people together in a list (This list would be all of the people you are playing the game with). Once the list is final (For this example we'll say 8 people are needed to start a game, so 8 people have been added to this list) they will all migrate the a Microsoft server (Which would be a dedicated server) that everyone has a more or less equal amount of ping.

This is how it is working:

You (and everyone else) connects to a server that sorts thru everyone, and places people together in a list. Once the list is made everyone connection is tested to see who has the lowest latency. The person who has the lowest latency now becomes the dedicated server. Now that a person in the game is hosting the game for everyone he has a distinct advantage because he has no delay with his inputs, but everyone else does based on their ping to that one player. This is how all Halos (and most console FPSs from what I understand) have worked in the past. It's very laggy, but it's cheap since no one has to pay for dedicated servers.

And you know this how?

J10

Banned
How many years in a row are Halo fans gonna let Microsoft piss in their mouths and tell them it's actually Mountain Dew? Stop paying for incomplete games.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
343 has publicly stated that the game isn't using dedis at launch. It's a disappointment on top of a mountain of other disappointments, but it's not a secret.

cakely

This is the way it SHOULD work:

You (and everyone else) connects to a server that sorts thru everyone, and places people together in a list (This list would be all of the people you are playing the game with). Once the list is final (For this example we'll say 8 people are needed to start a game, so 8 people have been added to this list) they will all migrate the a Microsoft server (Which would be a dedicated server) that everyone has a more or less equal amount of ping.

This is how it is working:

You (and everyone else) connects to a server that sorts thru everyone, and places people together in a list. Once the list is made everyone connection is tested to see who has the lowest latency. The person who has the lowest latency now becomes the dedicated server. Now that a person in the game is hosting the game for everyone he has a distinct advantage because he has no delay with his inputs, but everyone else does based on their ping to that one player. This is how all Halos (and most console FPSs from what I understand) have worked in the past. It's very laggy, but it's cheap since no one has to pay for dedicated servers.

If someone's Xbox One is hosting they game, they're not a "dedicated server" because that Xbox One is also running the game client at the same time.

This is the definition of "peer-to-peer" gaming.

And you know this how?

We'll only know when someone does a traffic analysis.

If it uses listen servers and I'm the host, I'll notice that I have -- depending on the game mode -- roughly 11 UDP connections to 11 different hosts all with the same port that Halo uses. If I'm a client, I'll notice that I have one UDP connection to a server that doesn't resolve to any Microsoft server or datacenter, on a port that Halo uses, and a bunch of traffic is being exchanged.

That's all it'll take.

It's only free during development. Once you ship a product devs pay.

Although I'm not sure what the intricacies are with 1st party cos... well you'd be paying yourself...
Its free to develop using azure and when you game ships you pay based on usage. Meaning they pay based on how many people are using the service. Its scalable.

rrc1594

gR2oeu0.gif

Bsigg12

I only started seeing signs of P2P games after their last update so I'm wondering if they have partially disabled the functionality and are rebuilding the backend stuff since all of that is a joke right now. I've found more games since the update so I wonder if the server side stuff was just terrible code that needed to be rebuilt.

I only started seeing signs of P2P games after their last update so I'm wondering if they have partially disabled the functionality and are rebuilding the backend stuff since all of that is a joke right now. I've found more games since the update so I wonder if the server side stuff was just terrible code that needed to be rebuilt.
This is what I think. Its a damn shame they released the game in the state it is in.

SRTtoZ

I've only heard bits and pieces of the issues, probably need a more comprehensive list.

Off the top of my head I know the framerate has issues holding 60, I know Splitscreen is fucked, I know H2A cant even reach 1080p because of the switching mechanic (bad design decision IMO), No dedi servers which was touted as the reason to own an Xbox One (teh cloud). Oh I also forgot Matchmaking issues in general, which is probably one of the biggest problems up to this point.

This would make sense.

If that's all this is, I think that's an acceptable solution But it'd probably be easier to swallow if, y'know, 343i said, "Hey, guys, we disabled/scaled down/whatever our Dedicated servers and switched to the basic P2P hosting for the interim, while we fix our shit."

Communication from gaming companies is absolutely horrible.

Uiki

Is it really a big deal? I mean most games don't have dedicated server these days.

They keep telling us about esports... on p2p?

And you pay to play online.

The top 3 multiplayer games atm are played on dedicated servers. For free.

If that's all this is, I think that's an acceptable solution But it'd probably be easier to swallow if, y'know, 343i said, "Hey, guys, we disabled/scaled down/whatever our Dedicated servers and switched to the basic P2P hosting for the interim, while we fix our shit."

If that's what happened. They really need to say something.

Bsigg12

Oh for sure. I've had the game since Friday and the couple games I was able to get into before launch both had the connecting to dedicated server notification. Up until yesterday each game I had gotten into had that prompt but it has since only come up a few times in about 10 games. I would prefer that they at least detail what they're doing because then it makes it a little easier to deal with.

lebowsky

According to posts on Waypoint and some other gaming forums, tt looks like Bonnie Ross stated on twitter that dedicated servers would not be used for custom matches. Those matches would be 2P2. That could explain the discrepancies seen by some of the posters in this thread.

Caja 117

343 has publicly stated that the game isn't using dedis at launch. It's a disappointment on top of a mountain of other disappointments, but it's not a secret.

A lot of people have ask you for this, so where is this statement from 343?

And the Matchmaking service of this game is problematic for a lot of people right now, so I wouldnt be surprised they are using P2P while they are fixing the problem, I dont see this as something bad, at least not like Gears of War 3 Dedicated server joke.

Pez

Yeah, you're going to need to link that one. If that's the case, talk about manipulative.

Top Bottom