• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Online modders working to strip micro-transactions, release worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

mocoworm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-07-halo-online-modders-already-working-on-unreleased-russia-only-shooter

Modders are already hard at work picking through Halo Online, Microsoft's upcoming Russia-only PC shooter, with an eye to removing its free-to-play microtransactions.

The game is being developed by 343 Industries, Master Chief Collection co-developer Saber Interactive and Russian publisher Innova Systems, but has yet to even launch its closed beta.

Regardless, an internal build of the game has found its way online and Halo fans are now investigating Halo Online's two major points of fan contention.

Firstly, that Microsoft currently only plans to launch the game in Russia. Secondly, the fear that the game will be crippled by pay-to-win microtransactions.

Halo Online's first trailer, included below, reveals how players will be able to use credits to purchase customisation options for their character. No other payment details have been released, but modders are pessimistic:

"We of course still don't know 100 per cent what items are purchasable with real money, but it would appear at first glance to have pay-to-win potential," modder Woovie told TorrentFreak. "We also of course want to play this game, which as far as we see, is a Russian market only game."

"Microsoft is probably quite bothered by what we've done already as these files were leaked. We obtained the files from a user on 4chan's /v/ board. From there, user Emoose proceeded to create a hack that would allow the client to load files and thus get in game. The files we have are definitely an early internal alpha. A lot of left over code from other Halo games."

The hack, named ElDorito, is a launcher that will run the leaked code without any issue. But its success quickly drew Microsoft's attention.

Microsoft issued Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown notices to the copy of ElDorito posted on collaborative code-sharing site Github, and it has since disappeared. But the ElDorito team hasn't been put off.

"In terms of DMCA/C&D mitigation, we have made redundant git backups on private and public git servers," Woovie continued. "This is to ensure we will always have one working copy. These are being synchronised so that data is always the same."

"Further DMCAs may happen potentially, it's not really known at the moment. Our backups will always exist though and we will continue until we're happy."

"The game was going to be free in the first place," Woovie reasoned. "The PC audience has been screaming for Halo 3 for years and years, and we saw the chance with this leak. The fact that we could, in theory, bring the game that everyone wants, without the added on stuff that would ruin the game, that's something we'd be proud of."

soultron

Banned
Just going to say it: ElDorito.

Since this is on PC, it was only a matter of time -- and, damn, was it ever a short amount of time.

This is going to get shutdown.

Damn it people, release mods first THEN tell everyone about them. That way, it's already out there.

Puflwiz

Banned
This would be great if it actually came to be. The thing is, we don't even know if the game is good or not yet to make the modding and legal problems worth it.

wwm0nkey

Really wish MS would see this as people still want Halo 3 on PC, a game that came out years ago.

Been on the IRC chats and pretty much everyone says they would have just bought 3 but since this is what we have people are just working together to make this into as much of Halo 3 as possible.

As for shutdown notices, that has not slowed anything down.

ZServ

Yeah, I don't think any amount of takedown notices will kill this now. MS dun goof'd in such a spectacular fashion that I honestly can't believe they didn't see this coming.

Fuchsdh

I really don't get the "information wants to be free! The man can't stop us!" hacker attitudes when it comes to a video game, and, you know, not something of actual political or social importance.

Human_me

With all this PC attention going into Halo Online.
I can see them announcing Halo 3 for PC at E3.....
Windows 10 exclusive using the new Windows Store.

Really wish MS would see this as people still want Halo 3 on PC, a game that came out years ago.

Been on the IRC chats and pretty much everyone says they would have just bought 3 but since this is what we have people are just working together to make this into as much of Halo 3 as possible.

As for shutdown notices, that has not slowed anything down.

it's ok, MCC will come over eventually, especially since it appears that a lot of the work at getting H3 working on PC is clearly done and 1 & 2 are already available on PC. Plus, it showed up in a Steam database leak a year or two ago. So it's more a matter of when than if.

dugdug

Banned
I really don't get the "information wants to be free! The man can't stop us!" hacker attitudes when it comes to a video game, and, you know, not something of actual political or social importance.

Well...like, we all know what they really mean.

Come on.

wwm0nkey

it's ok, MCC will come over eventually, especially since it appears that a lot of the work at getting H3 working on PC is clearly done and 1 & 2 are already available on PC. Plus, it showed up in a Steam database leak a year or two ago. So it's more a matter of when than if.

That's my stance on it as well honestly. It's just the matter of when

ZServ

Well, I mean.. if you did something like this to prove a point to a government, you probably end up on some mega-death-lists somewhere. Look at Snowden, he didn't even do anything that was morally wrong and he's considered a treasonous dickbag by the government.

But Halo? Nah, you don't have to move to Russia to avoid Bonnie Ross kicking down your door.

Sephzilla

This is going to get shutdown.

Damn it people, release mods first THEN tell everyone about them. That way, it's already out there.

BUT I WANT MY 15 MINUTES OF FAME AND I WANT IT NOW

vlt.gif

How do you pirate a f2p game??

It's copyright infringement which can also be called piracy. The fact that it's a free-to-play game is irrelevant because the IP is held by Microsoft. They alone have the right to distribute, reproduce, make derivative works, etc from what I understand.

meanspartan

Microsoft has been saying they are going to "take PC gaming seriously" for how long now?

Since they don't seem to want to do the only thing that would prove that (putting Halo on PC) I'm glad modders will do it for them. Microsoft won't give it up willingly, I'm glad the modders will take it forcibly.

Even if it is just some version of Halo 3, a game from 2007.

legacyzero

Banned
You could have made this easy, MS. I hate to see all this going on, when you know the thirst is real among PC gamers for Halo.

Grief.exe

Huh, really? Why? It doesn't sound so bad to me, unless you're one of those "steam or die" types.

We've already tried using Microsoft's DRM system and are still suffering from the aftershock.

The system had been completely dropped, and we now have multiple games that are not only unavailable for purchase, but essentially unplayable.

I'm not a Steam only guy, I have games littered across all PC clients, but Microsoft throwing arbitrary restrictions in the PC gaming space is bad news for consumers.

Welfare

"We want Halo 3, so we're taking an Alpha of a F2P game with leftover Halo 3 code and stripping features because we want Halo 3!"

Good luck with that.

legacyzero

Banned
lots of people in this thread seem super okay with piracy
Not at all.

However what I am ok with is seeing MS with egg in their face after years of promises that they are putting a bigger emphasis on PC gaming, only to release what most MS fans on PC have been asking for...... Only for Russia lol

I hope that MS sees the extreme demand for Halo on PC and take it seriously. They need to port MCC over. Also, if they do bring Halo Online over, they better think twice before introducing pay to win mechanics into other builds.

I don't condone what modders are doing. However, MS is partly at fault for this. They need to realize that they are missing out on serious money (not micro-transaction garbage) by neglecting the PC community and giving us scraps (Halo: Spartan Assault).

Dabanton

So these guys are moddng a beta?

Haven't been following the game in depth, but do you have to buy weapons? Or are the customisation options just for colours armour looks etc?

trixx

Everything will be Windows 10 exclusive, it might not be Windows Store exclusive, but it will most likely tie into the Xbox for Windows 10 platform.
Thankfully windows 10 is free. But yeah they probably shouldn't have announced the mod before releasing it.

Welfare

Not at all.

However what I am ok with is seeing MS with egg in their face after years of promises that they are putting a bigger emphasis on PC gaming, only to release what most MS fans on PC have been asking for...... Only for Russia lol
Halo Online isn't Halo 3 on PC though.

Halo Online is also intended for a different audience. Stripping features out of the game to fit the noble "We waited long enough, so we are doing it ourselves" narrative is just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom