• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Online modders working to strip micro-transactions, release worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welfare

If this is piracy then why haven't the mods done anything? Is it a grey area? People here seem super duper sure it's piracy. These threads should be locked.

One of the guys that is working on the project got banned for advocating piracy. Wouldn't surprise me if mods are using this thread as a trap for others.

Synth

I think we should avoid calling people pirates and calling for bans just because they are interested in discussing this situation. It's fair if someone doesn't agree with your stance. People need to Chill Out.

I'm not calling for bans... much like I wouldn't be calling for bans in a thread discussing how to play all those arcade emulations. I'd argue against anyone claiming that isn't piracy though, because it blatantly is. Even if it's a game like Border Break, that I have no chance of playing legitimately over here. If they didn't want to release it here, that's too bad for me. I don't get to simply steal it because it's something I would like to play.

jelly

Regardless of how the game performs, the discussion is about whether it's right for posters here to advocate piracy simply because they disagree with how a game was put together.

Fable Legends is also F2P (and on PC/console WW), are we going to be supporting modded servers there as well?

Of course not, merely discussing what I hope MS would do to make a success of a Halo game and others on PC within Russia and elsewhere. They are going about it wrong.

It's a private server.
There are lots of pirvate server for many games out there. You may dont call them piracy, but private servers aren't something that's legal for sure.
Can you play WoW for free on Blizzard's server? No, but you can on private servers.
I don't know Gaf's stance on private servers, but this one should share the same treatment.

If it quacks like a duck.

When presented with definitions of piracy and copyright infringement if people are still denying that it falls into either or both then it's just ignorance.

My issue is that most people doing so are demonstrating a lack of understanding over what exactly is going on.

Yes, getting Halo Online's files is piracy at this point.

What isn't piracy (in my opinion) is the ElDewrito tools and similar, and the tunneling tools such as Evolve and so on. At least, that's the sticking point that I'm having trouble agreeing with. I don't agree that it is morally objectionable at all to mod your games on PC.

I think that's just looking for a reason to shut down all discussion based on the story presented in the OP, which is just sad. At this point I fear people are getting too emotionally invested and it's probably time to bail out - the ban baiting is indeed embarrassing.

alot of stuff wouldnt happen if more companies didnt have their heads so far up their own asses and just gave us what we fucking want
its not entitlement if im willing to pay you money dammit
im excited for DDO but its not the first one on PC -_-

Bessy67

My issue is that most people doing so are demonstrating a lack of understanding over what exactly is going on.

What isn't piracy (in my opinion) is the ElDewrito tools and similar, and the tunneling tools such as Evolve and so on. At least, that's the sticking point that I'm having trouble agreeing with. I don't agree that it is morally objectionable at all to mod your games on PC.

I think that's just looking for a reason to shut down all discussion based on the story presented in the OP, which is just sad. At this point I fear people are getting too emotionally invested and it's probably time to bail out - the ban baiting is indeed embarrassing.
It's not modding the game though. It's taking the game off of the servers that would allow it to make money.

I'm not ban baiting anyone. I couldn't give two shits if anyone gets banned here or not.

I'm really all for modding. But this isn't it. It's using content you have no right to use. Elderito is copyright infringement at the very least which is a civil crime and punishable by law. It's piracy if presented correctly in a courtroom.

Morally it's shitty to take other peoples work and find a way to stop them profiting from it. Regardless of what elderito does or doesnt do the engine it's running on and the assets its using all took time and effort from people and those people got a wage for it based on the expected income of the title. elderito will negatively effect that titles profits because it's giving competition to the F2P model and it's using assets without consent of the creator to do so.

I don't see the need to start cutting up what is and isn't a crime when pretty much everything being done here is.

Whats the crime in running a private server exactly?

Depends on if the TOS allow it and If they don't then you open and entirely different can of worms with different legal facets involved.

But this is far more than a private server.

wwm0nkey

That is awesome!

Thanks, right now the plan is to having something play by the end of summer.

After we hit a particular milestone I will either

A) Continue work on classic Halo style

or

B) Work on adding a combo system like mechanic for it and have that as its own thing (think BxR but different combos that apply to different weapons like the Brute Shots R and B) and then release the classic base to the community to work together on.

Depends all on how testing goes.

LilJoka

It's not modding the game though. It's taking the game off of the servers that would allow it to make money.

Actually that is just modding, that part isn't piracy really since all modifications are open source.

As it's been said before it's the acquisition of the alpha game files that would more likely fall under piracy.

I'm not ban baiting anyone. I couldn't give two shits if anyone gets banned here or not.

I'm really all for modding. But this isn't it. It's using content you have no right to use. Elderito is copyright infringement at the very least which is a civil crime and punishable by law. It's piracy if presented correctly in a courtroom.

Morally it's shitty to take other peoples work and find a way to stop them profiting from it. Regardless of what elderito does or doesnt do the engine it's running on and the assets its using all took time and effort from people and those people got a wage for it based on the expected income of the title. elderito will negatively effect that titles profits because it's giving competition to the F2P model and it's using assets without consent of the creator to do so.

I don't see the need to start cutting up what is and isn't a crime when pretty much everything being done here is.

No, eldorito is open source.

LilJoka

In Assetto Corsa a modder can make the same car as in DLC but more detail from scratch, is that piracy too? Why do the devs not stop that modder? The modder would reduce the revenue stream the Dlc would generate.

I did. Twice now. Whats the crime exactly?

I'm sure that Blizzard doesn't want you to do so, but that doesn't make it illegal.

If it is a crime I'm unaware of it and would like to be made aware of it ;p

Well, I'm not sure neither, I'm not a legal graduate anyway.
I'm positive though those private servers don't own/purchase the IP from the developers to run the games. Is that illegal enough?
Anyway, I've played some private servers, it's not like I'm totally against them.

Microsoft could also profit by just releasing Halo 3 for $50 on Steam.

Its Microsofts IP, they should be able to do what they want with it. They have a platform they want to sell and thats where they put their efforts and its their right, that doesn't give other people any right to do it because its not what they want.

meanspartan

Well I see it as I own every Halo game released except for MCC, and I have no moral qualms with playing what is basically Halo 3 on PC, since I own Halo 3. The same way I have no qualms with downloading a rom for an emulator if I own the game in physical form.

PC players have been begging for Halo on PC since forever, and Microsoft answers that (after saying how they'd totally take PC seriously for the 200th time) with releasing the game in Russia only? GET FUCKED assholes. I'm so happy this is happening to them.

And for the record, I am not actually going to play this. I don't really want to play Halo 3, a game from 2007, on PC at this point. And I would advise those working on it to stop too, because even though Microsoft totally deserves it for being assholes, it isn't worth getting in trouble over.

Well, I'm not sure neither, I'm not a legal guy anyway.
I'm positive though those private servers don't own/purchase the IP from the developers to run the games. Is that illegal enough?
I wouldn't think so, no, but I'm not a legal guy either.

Seems like the piracy argument is specifically talking about distributing the alpha? Its a little weird in the sense that the final product will be freely distributed, but the charge at least makes some sense. The modding work itself seems OK to me though, and looks to be about using clever methods to work around the code rather than modifying any of it. And I think those two things are getting intertwined when talking about whats legal and what isn't. I've actually been trying to get a handle on this piece by piece.

KHlover

Banned
Good for eldorito. The content it's using like the .map files are not open source. It's propagating a crime.

That's not what counts though. If eldorito doesn't contain any of Microsoft's code it's not illegal. Stat.

Do you think emulators are prpagating a crime, too?

LilJoka

It's like cheats/trainers, the complexity arises since the revenue is achieved through what the cheats/trainer provide for free. Kind of like cracking a game, except only bits of the game, since it can be played totally free with without access to all content.

It's definately an odd case to me.

Yes but it's not eldorito. You are spreading wrong info.
The game files are a separate issue.

Splitting hairs.

The only use for Eldorito is to commit copyright infringement. Unless someone builds their own engine and files which Eldorito launches then it sits in a little safe hole in which everyone who uses it is committing a crime but not the program itself.

It's aiding a criminal act.

Regardless of that I'm making an argument against it's use.

I should have been more clear but I didn't feel the need to be.

meanspartan

Here it is again for the record. And it isn't even up to date with their recent totally legit promises. Microsoft has one real way to prove they are "Taking PC gaming seriously", and that is releasing Halo on PC in some form. It doesn't have to be Halo 5, but something like MCC would be nice.

And it's not like they never do release them- they put out Halo 2 to try and bribe people onto a shitty new OS when Vista came out.

So the way I see it, the modders are just fulfilling Microsoft's promise for them, since they can't seem to keep it themselves ;-)

For people getting their hopes up. This is MS's various statements on their promise to PC gaming.

Sorry, but all MS is doing is blowing smoke up the ass of gullible people. So yea go ahead and get your hopes up and get excited. In a year or two when none of what they say comes to fruition...I'll pretend to act shocked.

LilJoka

Splitting hairs.

The only use for Eldorito is to commit copyright infringement. Unless someone builds their own engine and files which Eldorito launches then it sits in a little safe hole in which everyone who uses it is committing a crime but not the program itself.

It's aiding a criminal act.

Regardless of that I'm making an argument against it's use.

I should have been more clear but I didn't feel the need to be.

So should I delete notepad off my PC too?

What about memory dumpers?

Hex editors?

Emulators?
Torrent clients?

It's just a tool. You can't say it falls under "aiding piracy".

Also it's still a bit far to say eldorito mod is copyright infringement, it's just an injector like a trainer.

Bsigg12

I wouldn't think so, no, but I'm not a legal guy either.

Seems like the piracy argument is specifically talking about distributing the alpha? Its a little weird in the sense that the final product will be freely distributed, but the charge at least makes some sense. The modding work itself seems OK to me though, and looks to be about using clever methods to work around the code rather than modifying any of it. And I think those two things are getting intertwined when talking about whats legal and what isn't. I've actually been trying to get a handle on this piece by piece.

I think this is where the main issues lie. Currently, there is no way to get the files from any official source. There is also the EULA from the Russian site from those who signed up and made the files available to others. When you look at that, modding the game is actually against the rules of that EULA.

https://ru.4game.com/licence/view/serviceId/28/type/2/

LilJoka

I think this is where the main issues lie. Currently, there is no way to get the files from any official source. There is also the EULA from the Russian site from those who signed up and made the files available to others. When you look at that, modding the game is actually against the rules of that EULA.

Now this I agree with. Attacking eldorito files I don't since at the end of the day those files are scratch made with no code within them belonging to a 3rd party.

jmga

I agree. But all those assets you are using for eldorito come from Halo Online. It's all content that is being used without consent from the creators. You have no right to it but you will still use it because you feel entitled to it.
What assets? Eldorito does not come with any game asset, everything is inside Halo Online client, eldorito only uncover these functionalities without modifying the game itself.

If they distribute the game for free, and does not include any license clause saying you can only play on official servers using eldorito is perfectly legal.

If they didn't think about this and want to modify the license in a future update i'm afraid it will be toó late, you cannot apply a license change retroactively.

So I think they just fucked up and gave people a game with private servers for free and all perfectly legal.

KHlover

Banned

Too bad EULA isn't a legally binding document just about anywhere in the world.

Bsigg12

Now this I agree with. Attacking eldorito files I don't since at the end of the day those files are scratch made with no code within them belonging to a 3rd party.

Well, to be fair, ElDorito is violating the EULA.

From Google Translate:

3.1. The user is forbidden:

- Install and use one copy of the game client on two or more computers, computers with access multiterminal working in time-sharing;

- Modify or create any derivative works based on the Game Client or any of its elements (including a number of audio-visual and source code), including translation or localization;

- Remove any signs and / or information, including signs of protection of intellectual property rights, means of identification;

- Copy the Game Client, except as otherwise expressly provided in this License Agreement;

- Share the Game Client and / or its elements into its component parts;

- Reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, or in any other way attempt to derive the source code of the game client, to make any changes to the source code, modify the functional game client;

- Distribute, complicate, sell, sublicense, transfer to rent or lease, pledge, extract from the commercial benefits of its use or use it in any other way (including without commercial gain), not specified License;

- Used in conjunction with any software (including software that emulates the presence of players in the game), not approved by the Administration;

- Right to use unauthorized software, including for the purpose of interfering with gameplay.

Too bad EULA isn't a legally binding document just about anywhere in the world.

Which I was about to get to. Although it's not legally binding, I wouldn't be surprised to see something happen moving forward with regards to ElDoritio development and Microsoft.

LilJoka

Well, to be fair, ElDorito is violating the EULA.

From Google Translate:

Fair enough.
Wouldn't GTA V have something like that? People are ready for mods though.

And yeah we come back to the F2P argument. I think this is hard to argue either way because of that. It's more on moral grounds I guess.

Considering it's only function is to launch copyright protected content that the user has no right to use in that manner then I doubt it could.
Would it be the same situation if the game had already released and modders did the same work with the final (read: launch), freely distributed client?

I can't tell whether its the distribution of the alpha you have problems with or the modding, or both.

What assets? Eldorito does not come with any game asset, everything is inside Halo Online client, eldorito only uncover these functionalities without modifying the game itself.

If they distribute the game for free, and does not include any license clause saying you can only play on official servers using eldorito is perfectly legal.

If they didn't think about this and want to modify the license in a future update i'm afraid it will be toó late, you cannot apply a license change retroactively.

So I think they just fucked up and gave people a game with private servers for free and all perfectly legal.

Well

3. License Restrictions

3.1. The user is forbidden:

- Install and use one copy of the game client on two or more computers, computers with access multiterminal working in time-sharing;

- Modify or create any derivative works based on the Game Client or any of its elements (including a number of audio-visual and source code), including translation or localization;

- Remove any signs and / or information, including signs of protection of intellectual property rights, means of identification;

- Copy the Game Client, except as otherwise expressly provided in this License Agreement;

- Share the Game Client and / or its elements into its component parts;

- Reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, or in any other way attempt to derive the source code of the game client, to make any changes to the source code, modify the functional game client;

- Distribute, complicate, sell, sublicense, transfer to rent or lease, pledge, extract from the commercial benefits of its use or use it in any other way (including without commercial gain), not specified License;

- Used in conjunction with any software (including software that emulates the presence of players in the game), not approved by the Administration;

- Right to use unauthorized software, including for the purpose of interfering with gameplay.

3.2. License is limited to the territory of Russia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, as well as areas with limited status (Abkhazia and South Ossetia). Game Client can not be used outside this territory.

3.3. The term of the license. The term of this License Agreement is the term of the User Agreement for beta testing games. License Agreement will automatically terminate upon termination (expiry) User Agreement for beta testing games.

3.4. Rights under this License Agreement in part or in whole, may not be transferred to third parties. Administration has the right to assign its rights and obligations under this License Agreement to third parties without your consent.

3.5. Administration is not obligated to provide technical support to users, and does not guarantee that any faults or defects in the game client will be corrected.

3.6. Technical protection Client Games. Administration to protect the rights of intellectual property, in order to ensure safety (prevention of "break-ins", hacker attacks, and so on. P.) And the correct operation of the game and the game client is entitled to use the technical means and methods of protection of intellectual property and information. Administration has the right to receive information, including geographical location of users in order to determine the user's location (within or outside the Territory) about your computer and its components, and so on. N. As described and only in accordance with the purposes set forth Privacy Policy service 4game.

Would it be the same situation if the game had already released and modders did the same work with the final (read: launch), freely distributed client?

I can't tell whether its the distribution of the alpha you have problems with or the modding, or both.

My problem is with unauthorized usage of content. It's not freely available to everyone. I have doubts if it ever will be. Dev's put work into the content and what is happening here can detracts from the companies ultimate income. The population can suffer from this and the knock on effect means less people will be buying the microtransactions which could lead to smaller budgets for future development paths and people loosing their jobs because of that.

It realistically doubt it will ever come to that but still the point stands. It's copyright infringement and piracy which have negative effects in the industry. El Dorito might be using a legal safe zone because it's not actually using any game assets but this isn't modding giving games more life. When that happens it typically encourages more people to invest money in a game like Skyrim. This is modding that provides competition to the monetary model.

LilJoka

Rockstar EULA

you agree to not reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, display, perform, prepare derivative works based on, or otherwise modify the Software, in whole or in part;
remove or modify any proprietary notices, marks, or labels contained on or within the Software;
restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying any online features of the Software;
cheat or utilize any unauthorized robot, spider, or other program in connection with any online features of the Software;

GTA IV mods illegal too?

El Dorito might be using a legal safe zone because it's not actually using any game assets but this isn't modding giving games more life. When that happens it typically encourages more people to invest money in a game like Skyrim. This is modding that provides competition to the monetary model.
Thanks, and I definitely understand where you're coming from now.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This seems like a good time to end this thread. Yes, circumventing a game's revenue stream is piracy. No, that is not something to be encouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom