• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magni

Chatting in games died around modern warfare 2 and when party chat came. It's crazy how Gears 1 was, almost everybody was mic'ed up for a year, same for Halo 3, and now no one cares. The ones who do have mics usually mute or are in party chat. Just the way it is now. On the bright side, no longer have to hear insults about my mother or be called the N word by some 9 year old UK kids.

Muting was easy. Another thing that sucks is that in the rare even that somebody does talk, you have no idea who it is.

Are the par time/score achievements/nameplate unlocks fixed?

For those wondering, I just beat the par time on 343 GS and got both the achievement and the nameplate :)

Head.spawn

Magni

Cool.

Anyone else want to play?

Edit: aaaand you got kicked out of the game. Haha wow. Mind if I try to finish this one and then I rejoin you?

The game froze as soon as we found everyone. Ugh. Waiting for you, anyone else is free to join ��

If we can get 8 let's just do customs and avoid the mess that is MM.

Edit: Yay, nobody can join anyone. I don't even see you in my ingame friends list.

Edit2: This is ridiculous. Been trying to get a party of 2 in MM for 40 minutes.

The game froze as soon as we found everyone. Ugh. Waiting for you, anyone else is free to join 😊

If we can get 8 let's just do customs and avoid the mess that is MM.

Edit: Yay, nobody can join anyone. I don't even see you in my ingame friends list.

Yeah, its a mess.

If it takes that long, it won't even work when they fix it due to the population, lol.

I do think I'll be playing Halo 5 with friends before I do in MCC, and that's pretty depressing.

On the last level of H2A legendary, I'll be glad when this is over.
Same. Keep getting owned by banshees before the Tartarus fight. Taken to the scarab and just gonna try board em all

Woorloog

Banned
Same. Keep getting owned by banshees before the Tartarus fight. Taken to the scarab and just gonna try board em all

I think i skipped (last time i played Halo 2 on Legendary) them by just boosting either high or low and flying to the temple and waiting there. Risky though, sometimes it feels like Johnson won't move the Scarab.

Oh, and a hint to the Tartarus fight: Carbine (and Beam Rifle) are the only weapons that drop Tartarus' shield. Shoot with the Carbine right after Johnson snipes him... and when shield drops, switch to Brute Plasma Rifle (you can find them along with Carbines on the area). It does extra damage on Tartarus body! (Seriously, you can confirm this by trying to kill him with other weapons. Takes ages. The Brute Plasma Rifle? 3-5 shield drops total, depending how well you manage to shoot him.)
Makes the fight rather easy really.

I think i skipped (last time i played Halo 2 on Legendary) them by just boosting either high or low and flying to the temple and waiting there. Risky though, sometimes it feels like Johnson won't move the Scarab.

Oh, and a hint to the Tartarus fight: Carbine (and Beam Rifle) are the only weapons that drop Tartarus' shield. Shoot with the Carbine right after Johnson snipes him... and when shield drops, switch to Brute Plasma Rifle (you can find them along with Carbines on the area). It does extra damage on Tartarus body! (Seriously, you can confirm this by trying to kill him with other weapons. Takes ages. The Brute Plasma Rifle? 3-5 shield drops total, depending how well you manage to shoot him.)
Makes the fight rather easy really.
I don't remember Johnson not shooting the door without killing the banshees before. This is a pain in the ass

Thanks for the tips too. Haven't done this fight in 10 years

Woorloog

Banned
I don't remember Johnson not shooting the door without killing the banshees before. This is a pain in the ass

Hmm. I'm pretty sure i've had one or two Banshees still alive... though that may have been on lower difficulty, or a glitch. Not impossible.
Can't recall any good strategy vs AI Banshees, trial and error. If there's one thing i dislike in Halo 2, it is the AI Banshees. And Drones. And Jet Pack Elites.

Whenever by some technological miracle I get in a game, I'm getting severely destroyed. I've played a lot of Halo (each of them when they came out but kept moving on to the newest version) but i feel like people going through all the troubles to find a game are the die hard fans and I'm not at their level of skills. I wanna play but waiting 10 minutes to find a game and then getting owned is really affecting my love for the game...

Edit: don't be fooled by the avatar. I actually never got one like this... I love Halo but i'm an average player...

Entirely off topic, but I was just walking and walked on to a circular storm drain. The damn thing apparently wasn't on all the way, and it flipped up and I fell. I caught myself with my arms as I fell halfway in and got my legs clenched by the cover as it swung up, so a little bruised and cut, but ok. But. Uh. Holy shit. :lol

Felt like sharing, cause, well, wtf.

Hmm. I'm pretty sure i've had one or two Banshees still alive... though that may have been on lower difficulty, or a glitch. Not impossible.
Can't recall any good strategy vs AI Banshees, trial and error. If there's one thing i dislike in Halo 2, it is the AI Banshees. And Drones. And Jet Pack Elites.
Seriously. I've taken to hiding in the scarab, shooting one banshee to get its attention and then trying to stick them. Although with 4 banshees and 4 stickies this is gonna take a while

Entirely off topic, but I was just walking and walked on to a circular storm drain. The damn thing apparently wasn't on all the way, and it flipped up and I fell. I caught myself with my arms as I fell halfway in and got my legs clenched by the cover as it swung up, so a little bruised and cut, but ok. But. Uh. Holy shit. :lol

Felt like sharing, cause, well, wtf.

For whatever reason, I imagine this as some Jurassic Park/Spielbergian set piece with raptors pulling you down into the sewer system

Whenever by some technological miracle I get in a game, I'm getting severely destroyed. I've played a lot of Halo (each of them when they came out but kept moving on to the newest version) but i feel like people going through all the troubles to find a game are the die hard fans and I'm not at their level of skills. I wanna play but waiting 10 minutes to find a game and then getting owned is really affecting my love for the game...

There are definitely below average people playing. I've played against people using smg on br starts.

I've had matches where I completely dominated and I'm not exactly good at the game.

For whatever reason, I imagine this as some Jurassic Park/Spielbergian set piece with raptors pulling you down into the sewer system

Photoshop away.

JYQ9tNS.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
Seriously. I've taken to hiding in the scarab, shooting one banshee to get its attention and then trying to stick them. Although with 4 banshees and 4 stickies this is gonna take a while

I think i have tried that sometimes but i think it is better to fly and try to beat them at their own game. Long burst from the plasma cannons (the AI likes to fly in straight lines on occasion) followed by a fuel rod blast and quick evasion and boost away might work.

Also some more notes on Tartarus:
Johnson is a lousy shot. Try to position yourself so that you can see both Tartarus and Johnson... and just wait till Johnson hits Tartarus twice in a row. If he misses a shot (or blasts a wall like he likes to do), just wait for another pair of shots from Johnson. Patience.
After you've damaged unshielded Tartarus, cloak and disengage. Retreating to top floor via the gravity lift and keeping an eye on the lift (as Tartarus follows you sometimes). Recharge, reload, and wait for another opportunity to attack.
Once you've damaged Tartarus once or twice, he will get Brute reinforcements. Ignore Tartarus until you've dealt with those, preferably one at a time. He will get reinforcements typically more than once, the size of the reinforcements is always 4 Brutes IIRC.

It is possible for Tartarus to get stuck on the gravity lift or such, this makes the fight easy but isn't dependable.
It is also possible to get a Banshee to the control room via glitch though the Brute reinforcements can make a short work of it if they come with Brute Shots.

---

As far as i know, you cannot find this "Brute Plasma Rifle = extra damage on Tartarus Body" from any online guide. Last i searched i didn't find any notes regarding that... Carbine/Beam Rifle being able to damage Tartarus' shield is documented. So, as far as i know, i'm possibly the only one who has found out this BPR trick (pretty sure i've told it here before though).
Found it by logic, how come the area is filled with the Brute Plasma Rifles in addition to Carbines that work against the shield? Halo 2 boss fights all have rather logical strategies on Legendary, though they're not easy by any means.

I think i have tried that sometimes but i think it is better to fly and try to beat them at their own game. Long burst from the plasma cannons (the AI likes to fly in straight lines on occasion) followed by a fuel rod blast and quick evasion and boost away might work.

Also some more notes on Tartarus:
Johnson is a lousy shot. Try to position yourself so that you can see both Tartarus and Johnson... and just wait till Johnson hits Tartarus twice in a row. If he misses a shot (or blasts a wall like he likes to do), just wait for another pair of shots from Johnson. Patience.
After you've damaged unshielded Tartarus, cloak and disengage. Retreating to top floor via the gravity lift and keeping an eye on the lift (as Tartarus follows you sometimes). Recharge, reload, and wait for another opportunity to attack.
Once you've damaged Tartarus once or twice, he will get Brute reinforcements. Ignore Tartarus until you've dealt with those, preferably one at a time. He will get reinforcements typically more than once, the size of the reinforcements is always 4 Brutes IIRC.

It is possible for Tartarus to get stuck on the gravity lift or such, this makes the fight easy but isn't dependable.
It is also possible to get a Banshee to the control room via glitch though the Brute reinforcements can make a short work of it if they come with Brute Shots.

---

As far as i know, you cannot find this "Brute Plasma Rifle = extra damage on Tartarus Body" from any online guide. Last i searched i didn't find any notes regarding that... Carbine/Beam Rifle being able to damage Tartarus' shield is documented. So, as far as i know, i'm possibly the only one who has found out this BPR trick (pretty sure i've told it here before though).
Found it by logic, how come the area is filled with the Brute Plasma Rifles in addition to Carbines that work against the shield? Halo 2 boss fights all have rather logical strategies on Legendary, though they're not easy by any means.
This is a great post.

I got a bad checkpoint in the scarab but I just stuck the last banshee and now I'm fighting Tartarus! God damn that was insane.

Gonna try the Brute Rifle strategy now.

Seriously, props for the tips!

Woorloog

Banned
This is a great post.

I got a bad checkpoint in the scarab but I just stuck the last banshee and now I'm fighting Tartarus! God damn that was insane.

Gonna try the Brute Rifle strategy now.

Seriously, props for the tips!

A few more things:
Use first few deaths to scout the area, think about possible places to retreat and so on. Knowing the area, especially the weapon box locations, can be helpful.
Patience. A lot of it.
And good luck. Won't say "have fun", because i reckon you ain't going to have that, it is a one hard fight...

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
What the heck?!?!? I get more than halfway through a level, find terminal and lose all progress through that level?

Why couldn't they have put a save system that works in coop???

Magni

Over an hour, haven't been able to join any invites or find a game by myself. I should have used the money for GTA.

In any other industry we would see high-ranking executives fired.

Three games in a row I get into a lobby and game starts loading the map. Finishes loading the map.

Then I get kicked back to the main menu. "Unable to connect" or some bullshit.

Can't believe I like halo enough to keep subjecting myself to this shit.

Edit: let's see if we can go 4 for 4. At least I have my booze.

Ramirez

It is done. Aside from Gravemind and Jackal snipers, I think H2 is a lot easier than CE. The Elites don't persue you in H2 like they do in CE, he'll even grunts and jackals in CE can be relentless, lol.

Booshka

It is done. Aside from Gravemind and Jackal snipers, I think H2 is a lot easier than CE. The Elites don't persue you in H2 like they do in CE, he'll even grunts and jackals in CE can be relentless, lol.

I was trying to drunkenly argue this a few nights ago. I love how Elites pursue you when you are weak, Jackals will creep up the back line, and Grunts will get into annoying spots and close in on you.

A few more things:
Use first few deaths to scout the area, think about possible places to retreat and so on. Knowing the area, especially the weapon box locations, can be helpful.
Patience. A lot of it.
And good luck. Won't say "have fun", because i reckon you ain't going to have that, it is a one hard fight...
Got to the platform miranda was on, that invincibility is useful for her to eat plasmas Brute Shots and generally keep the brutes attention. Carbine for the brutes. Dual plasmas for Tartarus.

Just tore him the fuck up with the plasmas holy shit.

Also Johnson should never be given the snipe. That man cannot snipe for shit!

Also thought it was funny that she kept calling me chief instead of Arbiter haha

Mix

fucking lol at the mmc thing earlier, even funnier that I was brought up, made for a good laugh after a fucking long day.

Imma play Halo tomorrow night, anyone wanna do some customs?

Lockout is fucking terrible if teams are uneven. Two scrubs don't know how to play three plots and quit out almost immediately and the entire game goes to shit shortly thereafter. What a joke.

Magni

Two hours to get a game. Two hours. And it's a fucking 3v4 with not a single mic, in the only ranked playlist. In Halo 2/3, I wouldn't play ranked without a party if I could avoid it, but I obviously don't have that luxury with the MCC.

All my good memories of Halo are being ruined by this shitstain of a game, and yet I still waste hour after hour chasing after my old dreams :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom