• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still more than HaloGAF Radio.

B1-oiu3CYAEDpqk.jpg

epI4A1Q.png

-Ryn

Banned
Halo 5: Guardians |OT| A replacement... for the ring you destroyed.

Photoshop and Illustrator, yeah.
Sweet thanks dude. I've been wanting to make more use of my computer. Probably gonna need a tablet.

Forget smart scope this is the most canon killing thing, flying Spartan that punches ground for a shockwave.

I get that it's sort of like a grav. hammer replacement tho.
I doubt they're getting rid of the grab hammer. Griffball is entiry designed around it. I don't really see how it's breaking canon either since these are Spartan IVs and they've got fancy new suits with all sorts of gadgets. Like nanobots. Wait...

Anyway, the comparison does make me wonder how the ground pound will affect vehicles. Could you smash straight through a Banshee?

Burn that with fire. People that have played H5 keep saying that no one hardly uses the new Spartan ability's so they are no big deal. Tell that to the real world when every kid just runs around ground pounding or thruster punching people for cool easy kills.
I don't see it being all that hard to dodge, kill them before they touch the ground, kill them when they're on the ground and viilmerable, or just straight up see it coming and be gone before they even have a chance to blast off.

Madness

Wow halo channel is a piece of shit. I try to watch nightfall and everytime it goes "Up next: The Bulliten" or some other random show. Play what I select, fuck.

I think because it's tied to the MCC and server issues in a way it can kind of glitch. A few times, the music wouldn't turn off for me so even while watching streams the halo channel music was playing.

But I really like it. I think once the beta starts, once the MCC problems are fixed, and things like Forge and community takes over, it can be a great hub. I probably spend a good hour watching streams through it now. If they did full player profiles and stats collection, I'd probably never even look at waypoint again.

Madness

A faster movement speed and no sprint at all, would actually have added a whole new dimension to the movement abilities. That dash and slide, that charge slam, the ground pound, the thruster, etc. They would have all become so much more important if you didn't have sprint to fall back on..

Mix

Sprint isn't being removed guys, lol.

lol seriously, as it's been said before, no matter what the reason or angle you give or take, Halo needs to evolve to stay relavent. Be it sales numbers, atracting new fans, or apealing to old ones who moved on when the gameplay stopped aging. It's not that Halo is playing catch up, it's just finally going forward.

Also, I went back and rewatched this Halo 4 first look video and then this Halo 5 Beta BTS and I still believe that Halo 5 looks leaps and bounds better than Halo 4 ever did.

Also, I went back and rewatched this Halo 4 first look video and then this Halo 5 Beta BTS and I still believe that Halo 5 looks leaps and bounds better than Halo 4 ever did.

No perks, loadouts, killstreaks, focus being put back on map/power weapon control, less aim-assist, and a weapon sandbox that seems lethal all-around. Yeah, it already looks much better than Halo 4, and the Middy remake looks on-point too (also, the universal boost mechanic doesn't bother me in the slightest.)

Madness

lol seriously, as it's been said before, no matter what the reason or angle you give or take, Halo needs to evolve to stay relavent. Be it sales numbers, atracting new fans, or apealing to old ones who moved on when the gameplay stopped aging. It's not that Halo is playing catch up, it's just finally going forward.

"Stay relevant", it's almost as if the series didn't just sell a shit load of Xbox One consoles, or sell millions of Halo 4 games. Halo is far more relevant than many shooters.

My post above was that they could have removed sprint, upped the base and strafe speed, and it would have added more complexity to the new movement abilities. So rather than have slow walking and fast sprint. You have medium base movement, and you use the abilities to amplify the movement.

Adding a no shield recharge penalty because you know how detrimental sprint has been to Halo gameplay doesn't strike me as evolving, but a band-aid solution to mitigate what's been a serious problem.

Madness

Pretty much a given based off of how accurate Ntkrnl was and several choice quotes by 343 after that were going to get crazy BTB modes and maps for Halo 5. I'd imagine were going up to 12v12 or something as well, maybe even 16v16, new vehicles, etc. Might as well. If you want to run with a specific vision, run with it at full steam.

Defect

What are the odds of Halo 3's forge getting a patch for selecting a gametype? They practically killed customs instantly.

Mix

"Stay relevant", it's almost as if the series didn't just sell a shit load of Xbox One consoles, or sell millions of Halo 4 games. Halo is far more relevant than many shooters.

My post above was that they could have removed sprint, upped the base and strafe speed, and it would have added more complexity to the new movement abilities. So rather than have slow walking and fast sprint. You have medium base movement, and you use the abilities to amplify the movement.

Adding a no shield recharge penalty because you know how detrimental sprint has been to Halo gameplay doesn't strike me as evolving, but a band-aid solution to mitigate what's been a serious problem.

I'm not saying it's not relevant anymore. Let me give you an example. I was at work today, taking a break and talking to some of the customers we had in the store. two of them were people I've known almost all my life, we played Halo 2 and 3 together and lost contact after I switched schools going into high school. the others were people I've never met before. All of these people used to play Halo nonstop. The topic of the Collection came up and only one of my friends even knew about it and at that he wasn't interested in it at all. Once I explained it to the others, they weren't having it either. I asked them why they felt so negative towards it and the other one I'd known forever said, "Halo's dead, man. Halo died years ago." So, naturally I asked him to explain. He said that after Reach and 4, there just wasn't any place for it anymore. I asked him why, then, does the collection not appeal to him. He told me because, while it's still fun, Classic Halo doesn't hold up in the shooter market anymore, it's fun to watch, it's fun to play, but that it's not good enough to keep up with the competitive scene that COD offers. I told him that there are still tons of teams who play Halo professionally and he told me he had no clue and that it wouldn't last long. I told him that it was going to last a lot longer and that Halo 5 was a huge improvement over Halo 4, or that it at least looked like it. He told me that he might check it out, but he wasn't interested in spending 60 bucks on a beta for a game he isn't interested in. The group of them left and I was honestly surprised by it all. Five people that used to play Halo nonstop now saw it as nothing more than an outdated toy. A good nostalgia trip but nothing that holds any weight anymore. 343 has a lot to prove to this specific group. I talked to one of them since this, and he said that what he saw of Halo 5 looks good, but that he's still not sure if it'll be any good.

TL;DR: Classic Halo gameplay is still good, but it is in need of an update.

Defect

I'm not saying it's not relevant anymore. Let me give you an example. I was at work today, taking a break and talking to some of the customers we had in the store. two of them were people I've known almost all my life, we played Halo 2 and 3 together and lost contact after I switched schools going into high school. the others were people I've never met before. All of these people used to play Halo nonstop. The topic of the Collection came up and only one of my friends even knew about it and at that he wasn't interested in it at all. Once I explained it to the others, they weren't having it either. I asked them why they felt so negative towards it and the other one I'd known forever said, "Halo's dead, man. Halo died years ago." So, naturally I asked him to explain. He said that after Reach and 4, there just wasn't any place for it anymore. I asked him why, then, does the collection not appeal to him. He told me because, while it's still fun, Classic Halo doesn't hold up in the shooter market anymore, it's fun to watch, it's fun to play, but that it's not good enough to keep up with the competitive scene that COD offers. I told him that there are still tons of teams who play Halo professionally and he told me he had no clue and that it wouldn't last long. I told him that it was going to last a lot longer and that Halo 5 was a huge improvement over Halo 4, or that it at least looked like it. He told me that he might check it out, but he wasn't interested in spending 60 bucks on a beta for a game he isn't interested in. The group of them left and I was honestly surprised by it all. Five people that used to play Halo nonstop now saw it as nothing more than an outdated toy. A good nostalgia trip but nothing that holds any weight anymore. 343 has a lot to prove to this specific group. I talked to one of them since this, and he said that what he saw of Halo 5 looks good, but that he's still not sure if it'll be any good.

And all of my friends, both in real life and on Xbox who I used to play Halo with hated Reach and 4 and believe that MCC is amazing. Halo doesn't need to change so drastically.

Yeah, and the game seems really fast-paced, quickly covering way more ground with your movement than you ever could in Halo 2/3. The scale increase makes sense, and I think it looks nice.

So sprint's quickness is negated by the bigger map size. So what's the point of sprint again? Everyone always points to sprint making the game play quicker, but the maps get bigger with that mechanic. The only difference is that you can't shoot while getting to a certain spot on a map. Halo doesn't need sprint to stay relevant either. It's had sprint the last couple of years and hasn't done anything to gather players. It's universally hated by the players. Players are slightly warming up to it for Halo 5 because of the effect it has on shields, but that's only because it's here to stay. They would still prefer to not have it.

Ultimately sprint is here to stay because removing it means they would have to redesign the maps.

Mix

And all of my friends, both in real life and on Xbox who I used to play Halo with hated Reach and 4 and believe that MCC is amazing. Halo doesn't need to change so drastically.

You're right, but these changes aren't as drastic as people are making them out to be. I'm not a fan of everything, but I think judgement should be held until the game is actually played.

Madness

Anecdotal to be sure. I don't think I have a single friend on my friends list that has bought, let alone played the latest CoD. I get what you're saying. My little 13 and 10 year old cousins would watch me play Halo 3 non stop, they'd want to play Reach with me, they bought Halo 4 and then never touched it. No interest in Halo, or the series. Why? Because it's no longer the "in" shooter title. But that is natural. Halo is now a mature series. It'll never recapture what it was during CE/2/3. That doesn't mean you switch up what makes the game Halo.

Now you're right, I remember Jess asking what makes Halo, Halo last year on Twitter. And I believe I responded with, to me, Halo is equal starts, no random gameplay elements, where things are decided on the battlefield and not the menus. Where map control, weapon control are paramount to success. Looking at this Halo 5 gameplay, it seems they've given me basically what I wanted. There is no random chance roll of the dice mechanics, everyone starts on equal footing, map control matters, as does controlling weapon spawns.

I agree Halo needs to be fresh. But I'm wary of drastic changes. I'd say reach and Halo 4 did more to hamper the fanbase than fatigue and the feeling of gameplay obsolescence ever did. I'll be playing the hell out of the beta for sure. If Halo 5 is amazing and we all love it, it still won't ever recapture that CE/2/3 momentum and craze. That was a once in a generation thing. Just like the next Zelda which promises to be another drastic change, won't ever recapture that Links Awakening/Link to the Past/Ocarina/Majora hype. Anyways, I'm just rambling here now.

Omni

Did we ever find out what species crashed on Installation 04 before Covenant and humans?

Just saw the terminal again then.

Omni

I haven't watched any of Nightfall yet. Will do it once I finish CEA.

Also, speaking of CEA. Cortana looks weird. Almost white even. Like she's missing a shader or something. And my game just totally just skipped 343 Guilty Spark. Why?

i totally understand people's gripes with MCC right now and being upset the patch got delayed a few days. but, for perspective, the big "fix most of the things" patch for Halo 2 came out six months post launch. wish people would be more patient, but neogaf.gif.
That was also ten years ago when patches for console games weren't as widespread.

But go ahead and keep making out like people are being unreasonable.

Also in comparison to MCC, Halo 2 functioned perfectly.

I haven't watched any of Nightfall yet. Will do it once I finish CEA.

Also, speaking of CEA. Cortana looks weird. Almost white even. Like she's missing a shader or something. And my game just totally just skipped 343 Guilty Spark. Why?

A glitch lol. The level 343 was skipped almost like how 343 skipped playtesting this thing! Zing!

jem0208

Hah, I find it funny how in the first Episode of Nightfall they are able to scan the entire Universe for some elements. However in this episode they can't see what's through some "thick" soil.

-Ryn

Banned
Did we ever find out what species crashed on Installation 04 before Covenant and humans?

To my knowledge we still have no idea who they were.

It's had sprint the last couple of years and hasn't done anything to gather players. It's universally hated by the players.
You're joking right?

That was also ten years ago when patches for console games weren't as widespread.

But go ahead and keep making out like people are being unreasonable.

Also in comparison to MCC, Halo 2 functioned perfectly.
Patches at this time of year take time to process. Especially when they are on this scale.

Halo 2 was a much simpler game than the MCC which is 3 generations being brought all onto one. Porting isn't just a simple flip of the switch and a lot of things can go wrong which they did unfortunately.

He isn't making you out to be unreasonable either. He's just trying to give some perspective (as he already pointed out). The MCC isn't in great shape but it's not dead and won't be any time soon. Especially not with the beta right around the corner.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I doubt they're getting rid of the grab hammer. Griffball is entiry designed around it. I don't really see how it's breaking canon either since these are Spartan IVs and they've got fancy new suits with all sorts of gadgets. Like nanobots. Wait...

Anyway, the comparison does make me wonder how the ground pound will affect vehicles. Could you smash straight through a Banshee?
TwIY4AY.gif

That doesn't mean it'll be in the regular sandbox.

-Ryn

Banned
That doesn't mean it'll be in the regular sandbox.
I hate auto correct so much...

Anyway what makes you think it wouldn't be? Just because it wasn't in H2A?

I just realized that saying Griffball was entirely designed around the grav hammer may be stretching it a bit. Still though it is an integral part of it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I hate auto correct so much...

Anyway what makes you think it wouldn't be? Just because it wasn't in H2A?

I just realized that saying Griffball was entirely designed around the grav hammer may be stretching it a bit. Still though it is an integral part of it.
I'm not saying it will or won't be, but it's not something I really recall it being all that prominent or integral in MP.

willow ve

Watching gameplay on the new Midship all I can see is this.

Spawn, sprint sprint sprint sprint sprint, thrust, sprint, gun battle, die, repeat.

Literally off spawn, every single life, players start by sprinting.

If there wasn't sprint you wouldn't need to make the map so huge. If the map wasn't so huge you wouldn't need to sprint everywhere. Not to mention that sprint just shits on CTF.

He isn't making you out to be unreasonable either. He's just trying to give some perspective (as he already pointed out). The MCC isn't in great shape but it's not dead and won't be any time soon. Especially not with the beta right around the corner.
With the "neogaf.gif" shit he surely makes it seem like he's making people out to be unreasonable. Coulda done without that.

Take a glance over at the waypoint forums to see unreasonable.

Jesus, halo fans are embarrassing "halo fans union rep" hahaha fuck off.

You're joking right?

Why would I be joking? Just look on here, the competitive community forums, and Halowaypoint. The only ones that are for it are basically saying that the game needs to evolve or that it's needed for new players, yet both aren't true. The last two Halos have had it and both have failed (not saying sprint is the sole reason because it's very clearly not).

m23

I still wonder about that. Isn't Nightfall on Installation 04? Could the enemies in Nightfall be them? I've only seen the first episode so I don't even know what they are.

Skele7on

Banned
i dunno if it was the AR starts, but that game on midship looked awful.

I'm sure the game will be good but tbh compared with the first video this one was weaker.

Also spartan run speed is terrifyingly quick, gonna make the sword full on ridiculous.

I want to play it now and see how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom