• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

figured it was common sense I was talking about earths clouds :p most of the "space cloud" talk has been near earth like planets.

Why would that be common sense? We're having a discussion about shit out in space. Claiming clouds are water, in the context of the discussion, is silly.

VinFTW

Why would that be common sense? We're having a discussion about shit out in space. Claiming clouds are water, in the context of the discussion, is silly.

didnt this whole conversation spawn from the orbital picture? weren't those clouds near an earth like planet?

or were you guys discussing the MCC main menu background?

havent been paying much attention to this thread as of late

edit: jem you could have saved yourself time by reading the post literally right above that one

also you dont need to explain space stuff to me lol next time ill just actually try and understand what exactly you guys were talking about

jem0208

nebulae are just condensed areas of hot gas and dust, a cloud is condensed water...

not the same "look" or thing at all
A cloud is just diffuse particle matter suspended in a space. It doesn't have to be condensed water. Take dust clouds for instance.

A nebula is a cloud of hydrogen, helium and dust. Often formed from the remenants of supernovae. It's actually not very condensed at all, the particles are extremely spread out relative to our reference frame. The only reason we can see them is because they are so extremely vast.

Obviously they don't really look much like Reach's space clouds at all. I was just saying space clouds are technically real.

Source: I'm a physics student.

didnt this whole conversation spawn from the orbital picture? weren't those clouds near an earth like planet?

edit: jem you could have saved yourself time by reading the post literally right above that one

also you dont need to explain space stuff to me lol next time ill just actually try and understand what exactly you guys were talking about

We were discussing the main menu picture. Kinds spiraled from a joke.

Haha, yeah I didn't see it until I'd finished typing. Oh well, I like talking about space. No harm done :p

It appears you've answered your own question there :)

For the record, I realize it's sci fi, but spreading info about reality will lead to less dumb lore (*cough* Destiny *cough*) in the future.

And I'm a potato.

Can confirm potato status

jem0208

Funnily, I thought Reach's nebula was extremely peculiar, even if it looked bloody awesome.

Well, La di da :p
If you were to somehow have a planet inside a nebula it wouldn't really look any different at all. The density in most areas of a nebula is extremely low, less than most man made vacuums.

Reach's clouds did look very cool though.

Actually thinking about it, my inhospitable comment is probably completely wrong. Just the chances of having a planet with life in a nebula is negligible because the stars are very young. Also like I said it would hardly look very different.

Haha, just said that so you know I'm not entirely talking out of my ass.

To take the discussion a bit more back to Halo. I hope 343 does a bit more space stuff with 5's campaign. It would cool if we could travel to multiple planets etc. over the course of the campaign.

We don't talk about the campaigns enough in these threads. It's all quite multiplayer-centric.

Booshka

If you were to somehow have a planet inside a nebula it wouldn't really look any different at all. The density in most areas of a nebula is extremely low, less than most man made vacuums.

Reach's clouds did look very cool though.

Actually thinking about it, my inhospitable comment is probably completely wrong. Just the chances of having a planet with life in a nebula is negligible because the stars are very young.

Haha, just said that so you know I'm not entirely talking out of my ass.

To take the discussion a bit more back to Halo. I hope 343 does a bit more space stuff with 5's campaign. It would cool if we could travel to multiple planets etc. over the course of the campaign.

We don't talk about the campaigns enough in these threads. It's all quite multiplayer-centric.
That way they could put, "More Planets than Destiny" on the back of the Halo 5 box.

RowdyReverb

I hope H5 makes it easier to find people online to play co-op. I like Far Cry 4's system where you can choose whether or not to let players join you, or just look for a player to join in progress. Co-op is one of my favorite aspects of Halo, but it's tougher to find people to play now that I don't live with any players.

VinFTW

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/563003067390763009

1368389507881.gif

So this just happened... I start up MCC to play campaign, look to my computer for a minute, and when I look back I am in a custom lobby with a bunch of strangers.

I back out, and then get the message of the day.

Fantastic.

RBK

Banned
So this just happened... I start up MCC to play campaign, look to my computer for a minute, and when I look back I am in a custom lobby with a bunch of strangers.

I back out, and then get the message of the day.

Fantastic.

343 working in online matchmaking for campaign?

So we've had older maps with interactivity and some newer maps with environmental aspects e.g. high ground gate switches or H2A map updates or sun glare on that map in H5 beta etc. What are your opinions or ideas with such features? Some ideas:

• High wind effects that alter the trajectory of low calibre pistols/grenades over a distance where snipers or rockets aren't affected as much, potentially could affect vehicles and how your drive them e.g. slower into wind but faster with the wind
  • Rain style effects that affect vision e.g. H2 backwash
  • Snow/ice that affects walking and vehicles e.g. CE sidewinder warthogs or H3 footprints in snow
  • How about a room or switch that rendered weapons or bullets useless e.g. a base defense mechanism that could be interactive
  • How about a pad that immobilises players e.g. interactive base switch
  • Light bridges in multiplayer maps e.g. you have to active a generator then a switch to use them, perhaps for BTB you have to take out a generated to be able to steal enemy vehicles off spawn
  • Plasma or light bridges that can be manipulated by players e.g. the books talk of magnetic fields "steering" plasma blasts, this could create some turret style damage weapons or interactive map elements to control map/player movements
  • Conveyer belts and boxes e.g. H2 elongation or colossus
  • We never really saw great forge uses of the volume effects e.g. scaled boxes to affect gravity or jumps or shields etc
  • How about rooms or maps that have rotational geometry or gravity e.g. walking around a centrifugal hub in 2001 movie, throwing grenades or skill jumps could get very interesting
  • The Enders Game battle room and forge abilities combined with the new clamber and thruster base movements e.g. zero gee CTF or bomb
  • Fighting in the middle of a glassing going down e.g. huge Covie carrier slow moving kill balls that essentially drown out all other sounds when close to them and are visually very obvious and predictable movements

Can anyone confirm this host check actually works?

While in lobby, as soon as you are matched up with a few other people simply press X and then A. Make sure you don't press down to select or highlight a particular player, you want your cursor on the lobby box above the very top player. After pressing A there will be an indication of the player who is the party leader

Source, waypoint thread

Possibly...I saw I was host using that method on a BTB on Avalanche. Went on to deal wreckage on the other team. Had such a good time...the dump out to the main matchmaking screen instead of staying in lobby to chat or party up threw water on the fun. Common 343, it's good to play together!

Good news, I hope it's real. I still don't understand why developers won't show who is host or specifically what server/region you're on. It's vital player information. I'll be trying this out later tonight, if matchmaking will be so kind as to actually put me in a game.

Madness

I hope it reads like genuine and honest conversation about the beta, why certain things are the way they are, what they learned and less like a PR piece on how the Halo 5 beta was the best of all time, of all time. Use of things like infographics and stats, real numbers of unique gamertags etc.

belushy

Banned
Been out of the loop for a while (kinda checked out of Halo during the 5 Beta.) Is that blog gonna talk about changes or feedback from the beta or something?

Good news, I hope it's real. I still don't understand why developers won't show who is host or specifically what server/region you're on. It's vital player information. I'll be trying this out later tonight, if matchmaking will be so kind as to actually put me in a game.

It was real, almost like a dream. Of course, my mic didn't work in game. Now, I usually don't like to be a gunner, because I get the flippin' idiot who couldn't drive if our lives depended on it. But this time, my driver and I...almost a psychic bond. Avalanche turned out to be one of my favorite maps of all times and we rode it like a tight knit killing machine.

We be rollin', they be hatin'-the way we were ruining the other team! Even when he hit the jumps into and out of the base, and rolled several times, we ended right side up, and continued to mow down whoever didn't quit.

Between my up to 100 mbps cable internet, and getting host, it was a little bit of gaming heaven. I miss Halo ~sniff~

It was real, almost like a dream. Of course, my mic didn't work in game. Now, I usually don't like to be a gunner, because I get the flippin' idiot who couldn't drive if our lives depended on it. But this time, my driver and I...almost a psychic bond. Avalanche turned out to be one of my favorite maps of all times and we rode it like a tight knit killing machine.

We be rollin', they be hatin'-the way we were ruining the other team! Even when he hit the jumps into and out of the base, and rolled several times, we ended right side up, and continued to mow down whoever didn't quit.

Between my up to 100 mbps cable internet, and getting host, it was a little bit of gaming heaven. I miss Halo ~sniff~

Good times and I love Avalanche for 1 & 2 sided objective. I had the same host thing one night in MCC and 2 nights of the H5 beta. I'm not gonna lie people got wrecked and it was glorious.

Top Bottom