• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

jem0208

I'm in the preview program and it's downloading a 1.5 GB update right now. Let you know if it's anything interesting.

Until then...

something from last night's Legendary pay-through of Floodgate. This is the very end of the level. I call it Arby's Flame Broiler.

Wait, seriously? For the MCC?

Also, playing around with xboxclips.com's gif creation:

Gif is gone.

dwells

I was reading PHP docs right before passing out. I think that's what caused the nightmares.
Code:
[b]Warning:[/b] mysql_connect(): Access denied for user root @ localhost
[b]Parse error:[/b] Unexpected symbol you weren't using anyway that doesn't make sense on line number that's blank when you check your editor.
[b]Fatal error:[/b] function nightmare(): undefined

Code:
[b]Parse error:[/b] Unexpected symbol you weren't using anyway that doesn't make sense on line number that's blank when you check your editor.

<--! scream at top of lungs and pound on keypad !-->

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Code:

KVrxLHU.gif

jem0208

You know what my biggest problem with the MCC is?

The fucking main menu background picture. That asteroid belt/ring is completely physically impossible. It's orbiting nothing. Can 343 do anything right?

The fucking main menu background picture. That asteroid belt/ring is completely physically impossible. It's orbiting nothing. Can 343 do anything right?

I've come to view the main menu as a symbol of the sorry state the MCC has been delivered to the unwitting consumer. It's shaped like a halo, but completely fragmented, missing expected features and functions, with a Gregorian chant for a funeral dirge.

Tried to play a few matches before heading out today, nothing after 20 minutes.

Same for me last night, nothing in H4 playlist, nada and hard reboots etc. Went Destiny raiding instead.

Funny thing is between the Destiny X1 and MCC issues, matchmaking and party/chat patches that reddit post about the multiplayer API is looking more and more on the money.

FyreWulff

orbiting around a sun that's been put inside slipspace. the gravity and mass still exists, therefore the asteroids can orbit it.

ship it

jem0208

orbiting around a sun that's been put inside slipspace. the gravity and mass still exists, therefore the asteroids can orbit it.

ship it
Hmm, I'm not entirely up to scratch on my Halo faux physics. However can slip space be maintained in one position like that?

HTupolev

The fucking main menu background picture. That asteroid belt/ring is completely physically impossible. It's orbiting nothing.
It would be somewhat possible for a ring of rocks to be "orbiting each other", at least temporarily. The scale doesn't really work, but whatever.

jem0208

It would be somewhat possible for a ring of rocks to be "orbiting each other", at least temporarily. The scale doesn't really work, but whatever.
Temporarily is an understatement. It would be ridiculously unstable and wouldn't form unless you could somehow instantly remove the original mass it was orbiting. It certainly couldn't form without a body being there before hand.

-Ryn

Banned
Never join 'em.

Never give up.

Never try to swallow a handful of pretzel salt for a $1.

HaloGAF dreams won't stop!

#butts

singhr1

Temporarily is an understatement. It would be ridiculously unstable and wouldn't form unless you could somehow instantly remove the original mass it was orbiting. It certainly couldn't form without a body being there before hand.

Aren't the rocks orbiting the small star and dust cloud at the center of the screen? Or is that part of the planet behind it.?

jem0208

Aren't the rocks orbiting the small star and dust cloud at the center of the screen? Or is that part of the planet behind it.?
That's what I initially thought. However you can see that the star and asteroid field are in front of the planet. Which would mean that planet is obscenely large.

I suppose it could be a neutron star however the planet would be torn apart at that distance.

Basically it's a load of rubbish.

I don't actually care btw, I just noticed it and thought it was mildly amusing.

FyreWulff

Hmm, I'm not entirely up to scratch on my Halo faux physics. However can slip space be maintained in one position like that?

i've never really read the extended lore, so i dunno

I always assumed halo's idea of slipspace, ships have to choose to travel through and can decide to stay inside of it as long as they want. so you could sending something into slipspace and just.. not have it move.

edit: my joke post seems to not hold

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Slipstream_Space

"Slipstream space is a specific set of seven dimensions existing in a very small bundle. While these dimensions are present in normal space, they do not have an effect on the physics of normal space."

basically space magic and i'm too lazy to link to the 'correct' wiki.

"The Forerunners had a far greater understanding of Slipstream space, with the abilities to travel nearly instantaneously over galactic distances, to disrupt slipstream travel from normal space, to create bubbles of Slipstream space, accelerating time, slowing time considerably inside (or even a complete time lock) while keeping the contents of the bubble visible in normal space, to store considerable mass and volume in Slipstream space stably for thousands of years and potentially for all of time, and to transition matter from normal space to the inside of a construct in Slipstream space without requiring the construct to transition back to normal-space."

so basically the Forerunners could make slipspace do whatever the hell they wanted it to.

jem0208

i've never really read the extended lore, so i dunno

I always assumed halo's idea of slipspace, ships have to choose to travel through and can decide to stay inside of it as long as they want. so you could sending something into slipspace and just.. not have it move.

edit: my joke post seems to not hold

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Slipstream_Space

"Slipstream space is a specific set of seven dimensions existing in a very small bundle. While these dimensions are present in normal space, they do not have an effect on the physics of normal space."

basically space magic and i'm too lazy to link to the 'correct' wiki.

"The Forerunners had a far greater understanding of Slipstream space, with the abilities to travel nearly instantaneously over galactic distances, to disrupt slipstream travel from normal space, to create bubbles of Slipstream space, accelerating time, slowing time considerably inside (or even a complete time lock) while keeping the contents of the bubble visible in normal space, to store considerable mass and volume in Slipstream space stably for thousands of years and potentially for all of time, and to transition matter from normal space to the inside of a construct in Slipstream space without requiring the construct to transition back to normal-space."

so basically the Forerunners could make slipspace do whatever the hell they wanted it to.

Haha, so apparently the forerunners had super space magic.

Edit: wow... You know what, if it annoys you that I post so often I'm going to keep posting. Honestly, I don't give a shit if you don't like my opinions.

daedalius

Like every other post on this page is an ignored jem post.

Go out and get some better opinions for fucks sake. And by that, I mean stop posting. Forever, preferably.

jem0208

Isn't there a planet in the center?
The ring looks like it circles in front of the planet rather than around it though.

Edit: I'm surprised this post has actually caused any discussion. It was only a joke :p

Yeah, that main menu image doesn't make too much sense. It proudly continues the tradition of space clouds from the Reach intro, because that's totally how space works.

Space clouds are quite pretty though.

That's what I initially thought. However you can see that the star and asteroid field are in front of the planet. Which would mean that planet is obscenely large.

I suppose it could be a neutron star however the planet would be torn apart at that distance.

Basically it's a load of rubbish.

I don't actually care btw, I just noticed it and thought it was mildly amusing.

Yeah, that main menu image doesn't make too much sense. It proudly continues the tradition of space clouds from the Reach intro, because that's totally how space works.

I finally got what this meant.

Wooooooooooow

You did? I still never know what deadalius is talking about.

I'm pretty sure the Turkish flag is accurate astronomy/cosmology. Pakistan is just a poser.

Mauritania is the real winner, though.

Space clouds are quite pretty though.
Yes, but slightly ridiculous astronomically... personally I picture Reach having shiny specks moving everywhere around it with some larger stationary shiny things for the MAC platforms, etc due to the space infrastructure it supposedly has. This is naturally all nitpicky, and I know it.

You did? I still never know what deadalius is talking about.

I'm pretty sure the Turkish flag is accurate astronomy/cosmology. Pakistan is just a poser.

Mauritania is the real winner, though.

Personally I admire Angola's "Sickle and Hammer with a twist!" approach.

jem0208

Yes, but slightly ridiculous astronomically... personally I picture Reach having shiny specks moving everywhere around it with some larger stationary shiny things for the MAC platforms, etc due to the space infrastructure it supposedly has. This is naturally all nitpicky, and I know it.

Oh yeah it's completely ridiculous. "space clouds" are technically possible, nebulae are exactly that. However they wouldn't exactly be very hospitable.

Yup, it's very nitpicky. Oh well :p

VinFTW

Oh yeah it's completely ridiculous. "space clouds" are technically possible, nebulae are exactly that. However they wouldn't exactly be very hospitable.

Yup, it's very nitpicky. Oh well :p

nebulae are just condensed areas of hot gas and dust, a cloud is condensed water...

not the same "look" or thing at all

Guys.

It's a Mil Sci Fi Space Opera.

The "scientific accuracy" ship sailed a long-ass time ago. Halo can only aspire to consistency at this point (which it actually does fairly well).

AlStrong

The ring looks like it circles in front of the planet rather than around it though.

Maybe. I dunno. Looks fine to me. Maybe 343i (or whatever outsourced company) has just created one of those optical illusions that can be taken 2 ways. (Distance is hard to gauge in space, and .... things.)

If so, we should stand up and clap.

Top Bottom