• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
BATTLEFRONT GOAT

selfexpressionspskk.gif

dwells

Battlefront's trailer looked super cool, but I imagine the actual gameplay won't be anything like that wonderful scripted sequence. Just like Battlefield, I see it devolving into a total cluster most of the time. I've never been able to get into Battlefield for that reason - I prefer my combat to be a bit more focused.

daedalius

It'll be better than battlefield, but like dwells said, it won't be nearly as awesome as that super scripted battle, and probably devolve into a cluster.

Might be ok tho, I'll probably get it.

Obscured

I'm sure there will be stuff to pick apart later, but I'm excited right now. Glad the arena stuff is there, but warzone looks like a battle, be interesting to see how it ends up, but there is some potential there. I envision tweaking as time passes. A gorgeous cluster is what I'm looking forward to there, expect to jump between it and arena fairly regularly (and would love a beta for it (i'm aware I won't be getting one)).

Campaign demo seemed setup to point out each of the base mechanics (different weapons, clamber, squad commands, AI revive, different types of enemies, smart scope). I expect some more serious hype trailers during the final marketing push. So far I'm liking the promethean enemies better, the teleporting reads better to me. Also shows Locke is heartless, elite reaches out for aid and succor, Locke responds with a bullet to the head.

jem0208

The biggest use of the elite controller for me is binding sprint to the paddles so I can use Bumper Jumper in Halo 4/5.

I want that controller so bad but I really can't rationalize spending £100 on it...

So is anything actually happy after the Halo news?

Yes. The campaign demo, whilst quite scripted, looked pretty fun. It was also gorgeous and had some really interesting story implications (Locke fights Jul M'Dama!?).

Warzone also looks and sounds amazing.

I was actually disappointed to see the Mantis return, it killed pacing in BTB. Hopefully they changed it up a bit in terms of health, it was also stupid you couldn't board the thing from the front.

Madness

In our Canada e3 deals thread, Amazon.ca had the controller for $90 Canadian. Should've jumped on it then. Just way too ridiculously overpriced especially from MS. This isn't a custom controller made by a small third party. Do you really think they added almost $80 worth of stuff to the controller? With Microsoft production capabilities and design, this probably costs them pennies to a few bucks in the long run over their existing controllers, even though they're limited. I think my biggest issue with controller has been bumpers and that's been fixed with the refresh. I'd like to buy an Elite controller, but I think they'll eventually come down in price.

Welfare

In our Canada e3 deals thread, Amazon.ca had the controller for $90 Canadian. Should've jumped on it then. Just way too ridiculously overpriced especially from MS. This isn't a custom controller made by a small third party. Do you really think they added almost $80 worth of stuff to the controller? With Microsoft production capabilities and design, this probably costs them pennies to a few bucks in the long run over their existing controllers, even though they're limited. I think my biggest issue with controller has been bumpers and that's been fixed with the refresh. I'd like to buy an Elite controller, but I think they'll eventually come down in price.

Controllers cost way more than they should. It's basically for profit.

Yeah, accessories are ways for the console makers and retailers to make hella profit. It's part of the deal.

(That's not me trying to justify it. I am in no way buying that controller)

Honestly, more than likely we'll see a discount on 'em over the holidays.

jem0208

Cross posting Frankie's post from the other thread:

The demo was deliberately a clean linear section to show off a few features. The game is actually more expansive with more possible routes and methods to finish than ever before- and the "scripted" bits, like Locke falling after the EMP bit are there largely for story (as opposed to QTE tasks).

Would have been tricky to demo the more common bits where the squad Divides and conquers. You'll see more of it this year.

Madness

Cross posting Frankie's post from the other thread:

Also have to remember, they need to market to a new generation of gamers. Just sucks as long time fans, but this is the kind of game play and mechanics the CoD crowd loves. Crazy how Doom and Battlefront don't really seem to have ADS in a sense but Halo felt they needed to add some form of it.

I'm waiting till all the e3 announcements happen. We get 30% any pre-orders on Amazon or Best Buy, which sounds good, but our games are now $79 plus tax up here. This discount will just bring them down to about 2 year ago prices. I'll probably do battlefront, Mass effect, crackdown, tomb raider, and don't know about Halo. Amazon Canada is pure shit at shipping and launch night is always the funnest time(when game works). So might just pick it up locally.

The Halo 4 demo was linear and scripted too, the difference here is there's actual writing regarding the design of the game stating there's multiple routes, etc... I'm not too worried about the scale of the game here, whereas I was worried with 4 and later vindicated. This game isn't coming at the end of a console's lifespan, they should have more resources available for open areas.

jem0208

Also have to remember, they need to market to a new generation of gamers. Just sucks as long time fans, but this is the kind of game play and mechanics the CoD crowd loves. Crazy how Doom and Battlefront don't really seem to have ADS in a sense but Halo felt they needed to add some form of it.

I'm waiting till all the e3 announcements happen. We get 30% any pre-orders on Amazon or Best Buy, which sounds good, but our games are now $79 plus tax up here. This discount will just bring them down to about 2 year ago prices. I'll probably do battlefront, Mass effect, crackdown, tomb raider, and don't know about Halo. Amazon Canada is pure shit at shipping and launch night is always the funnest time(when game works). So might just pick it up locally.

Eh, I disagree. I think we'll be fine from a scale perspective.

Also @ the ADS comment:

MFW zoom decreases spread and no claims of "ADS"

LG3SZ8C.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom