• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

So Warzone is pretty much Halo: Big-ass MOBA edition.

I don't really mind. All out warfare like that is basically designed for loadouts and equipment and such. As long as Arena multiplayer is clean, I'm all for it.

edit* EXCEPT FOR PLASMA PISTOLS. It completely ruins vehicle gameplay in Halo.

If you look at the top it says something about Power weapons being single use. So I guess you can pay to spawn with a PP but if you die you lose it.

Watched the Campaign demo again now that I'm home.

What a weird demo. Seriously.

I mean it hits the beats of "(try to) clearly demonstrate new mechanics, end on confrontation where it looks like the player is in serious trouble" but it really throws you into the middle of some weird on going conflict and expects you to care about hunting the Chief.

What a bizarre choice. I am more concerned now.

Akai__

Like others have already said. It looked way too action based. Like the part where you would Sprint and Thrust across that crashing bridge was just so cinematic and reminded me of every movie out there with similar scenes. They shot like 5 enemies and that was it. Incredibly underwhelming from a pure gameplay perspective and nothing that made Halo's gameplay special.

It's the nature of E3 demos though. Literally every game today had that style. Tomb Raider was the icing on the cake with that horrible action cinematic gameplay.

Not judging yet, though. We haven't really seen much. Hope they release more gameplay soon, especially that Game Informer footage with Blue Team.

Halo 5 Going to be on Conan tonight!

32a90ba885.jpg

jem0208

Like others have already said. It looked way too action based. Like the part where you would Sprint and Thrust across that crashing bridge was just so cinematic and reminded me of every movie out there with similar scenes. They shot like 5 enemies and that was it. Incredibly underwhelming from a pure gameplay perspective and nothing that made Halo's gameplay special.

It's the nature of E3 demos though. Literally every game today had that style. Tomb Raider was the icing on the cake with that horrible action cinematic gameplay.

Not judging yet, though. We haven't really seen much. Hope they release more gameplay soon, especially that Game Informer footage with Blue Team.

I think we'll be okay. The GI article mentioned multiple pathways and it sounded like some large arenas were described.

It's also an E3 demo, they're pretty much always linear and scripted, it's just their nature. Same goes for previous Halo demos.

Tell me the detail in the rocks, grass, and trees don't look better in Halo 3.

Asset LOD, yo. That's why a lot looks "goopy" from a distance like that. Remember how big a map like this is compared to that shot of High Ground, and how far away that shot was taken in-game. This is running at 60fps, too, at a higher resolution and with a hell of a lot more going on in the mode.

Yeah, I'm like 95% sure the campaign demo today was not really indicative of the final game. It was just an E3 showing of the new mechanics and Osiris team.

Literally every demo today was scripted and cinematic'd.

ElRenoRaven

So I have to say Campaign wise 343 has me. Multiplayer wise probably not but the whole Warzone thing is interesting. If it can be done right they may have me hooked.

Either way good job with the E3 showing of the game.

Tell me the detail in the rocks, grass, and trees don't look better in Halo 3.

Map designed for 4v4 gameplay with a ghost and a mongoose, 30 FPS

vs

Map designed for 12v12 gameplay, 4 times bigger than the biggest Halo map, with hordes of enemies all at once, friendly AIs, vehicles, and aircraft. 60 FPS

Not really a fair comparison. Traditional multiplayer maps and campaign look gorgeous and blow Halo 3 out of the water several times over. It's clear that they shaved down the detail for Warzone though and that's fine. With that much going on, they're going to have to if they want good performance, which is the number 1 concern.

Impala26

Asset LOD, yo. That's why a lot looks "goopy" from a distance like that. Remember how big a map like this is compared to that shot of High Ground, and how far away that shot was taken in-game. This is running at 60fps, too, at a higher resolution and with a hell of a lot more going on in the mode.

What's your take on everything today thus far Green?

Any chance of pulling you away from Destiny 24/7, if only for a little while? :p

Actually if you destroy the enemy core you win instantly, according to the Game Mode intro.

HMMMM...

Yep, in the interview they just had, they said 1000 points is also a victory condition. So i'm guessing either one can lead to victory

In the trailer it also said on the HUD: "Enemy Core Vulnerable"

Karl2177

Definitely not true, but you didn't answer my question.

Way to deflect.
Fine.

People are saying that's it's heavily scripted for E3. The problem with that is they are basing gameplay elements around the scripts. Can you give me one moment in Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, or Halo: Reach where player control is taken away for a moment when it isn't a cutscene? I can think of just 1 and that is Cortana moments in Halo 3 (which almost everyone can agree became awful after the first few replays). How many times in those games is the environment being stripped away for no purpose other than the shock value?

As for Warzone, it just looks like there's too much going on to be able to manage the battlefield. Halo 4's problems were more than just surface issues. Halo 4's global ordnance issues weren't just "it's too random", it was because players weren't able to predict what the opponent had or could have. From the E3 conference, plus the IGN stream, Warzone looks to have the "I don't know what my opponent could be doing" which is problematic. In addition to that, the way the numbers work out for kill times and such means that if a team of 12 goes up against randoms(which I can almost guarantee will happen), it will be even more of an uncontrollable situation than BTB already is.

What hooked a lot of people into Halo (at least for campaign) was it's simple story telling. There was the overarching story that the developers tell, which is given to the player through cutscenes and vignettes, and there's the story that the player tells which is done through the gameplay. Every time a developer strips away gameplay in favor of some arbitrary ledge grab, it takes away from the player story. I want to tell my stories of how I ramped a Chopper off a building onto a Scarab, not how Locke almost fell off the edge of a crumbling building.

You guys are both really fucking annoying, you realise that right?

This pointless "oh of course you like it, huehuehuehue" is seriously tiring and really rather sad.
And you're not annoying? I can say that I've never read a post from daedalius or yourself that made me think "what an interesting position". Nowadays I don't have the time, nor do I want to put in the effort for a post that is going to be ignored in favor of arguing with some drive by post.

But they have 2 employees who spend 90% of their time with MLG wannabes. They go out of their way to pay for tournaments for the wannabes (even MLG doesn't want Halo these days). They get a lead developer to court these people in the Beyond forums, despite the torrent of direct and personal abuse thrown at 343 employees by folks there.

Obviously 99% of the entire Halo audience are MLG babies, why else would they spend a disproportionate amount of time and money on them?

Instead of using a beta to test the brand new online experience with untested networked AI and new modes and scale, they instead focus on the Arena mode for the MLG babies. Obvious the baby's mode is more important to test.

MLG babies love the shit out of COD. COD single player is almost entirely scripted with cinematic moments. Now Halo has all that too.

Trust them. Etc.
I cannot tell if this is sarcasm or not, and that says a lot about the Halo community.

TBLFordy

Banned
Map designed for 4v4 gameplay with a ghost and a mongoose, 30 FPS

vs

Map designed for 12v12 gameplay, 4 times bigger than the biggest Halo map, with hordes of enemies all at once, friendly AIs, vehicles, and aircraft. 60 FPS

Not really a fair comparison. Traditional multiplayer maps and campaign look gorgeous and blow Halo 3 out of the water several times over. It's clear that they shaved down the detail for Warzone though and that's fine. With that much going on, they're going to have to if they want good performance, which is the number 1 concern.

To be fair though both this and Halo 4 exhibit the same 'issue' - I'm not describing this at all well but Halo 3 always seemed rich in finer detail, 4 and this seem to have a glossed over thing going on......like I say, not explaining this well at all but I recall being a little disappointed in 4 when everyone was going on about it being a stunner. This screams Halo 4 engine + to me and with it comes that same lack of rich fine detail. Probably an art thing.

daedalius

And you're not annoying? I can say that I've never read a post from daedalius or yourself that made me think "what an interesting position". Nowadays I don't have the time, nor do I want to put in the effort for a post that is going to be ignored in favor of arguing with some drive by post.

I cannot tell if this is sarcasm or not, and that says a lot about the Halo community.

Oh man, I get lumped in with jem now?

Wow.

Guess I need to get onboard with team salt some more.

It seems like you're reading too much into an "EXPLOSIONS" E3 demo too much. They are always dumb, and scripted.

#teamJem

Have you guys read this? Found here

Limited Edition
The Limited Edition* of Halo 5: Guardians delivers new digital content to enhance Spartan combat plus exclusive** items all wrapped in a uniquely designed steel book.

What does it mean?

IHaveIce

Banned
But they have 2 employees who spend 90% of their time with MLG wannabes. They go out of their way to pay for tournaments for the wannabes (even MLG doesn't want Halo these days). They get a lead developer to court these people in the Beyond forums, despite the torrent of direct and personal abuse thrown at 343 employees by folks there.

Obviously 99% of the entire Halo audience are MLG babies, why else would they spend a disproportionate amount of time and money on them?

Instead of using a beta to test the brand new online experience with untested networked AI and new modes and scale, they instead focus on the Arena mode for the MLG babies. Obvious the baby's mode is more important to test.

MLG babies love the shit out of COD. COD single player is almost entirely scripted with cinematic moments. Now Halo has all that too.

Trust them. Etc.

Is the book ready to ship?

Brojito

Neo Member
I want to tell my stories of how I ramped a Chopper off a building onto a Scarab, not how Locke almost fell off the edge of a crumbling building.

Yea, this.

It's a small thing to complain about I guess, but I just don't understand the general mindset of the developer that does this, in ANY game. Yea, maybe it was cool the very first time someone did it in a game, and everyone went "ooooh, cinematic", but now? Do developers honestly think that that same tired old, "oh look your character almost falls of the ledge and has to crawl back up in a QTE sequence" is remotely interesting or exciting? This is a complaint I have with nearly all AAA developers in general. It's not "cool", it's not "cinematic", it's boring and is infinitely inferior to having a dynamic sandbox that allows situations to develop naturally and be affected by player choice. I don't want to watch the game happen, I want to play it.

But whatever, hopefully it's literally the only time it happens in the game and it was just all bells and whistles for the E3 crowd.

I'm guessing there won't be many Warzone maps at lauch probably 2-3. Unless BTB takes place on those maps as well, but I kind of doubt that.

TBLFordy

Banned
I want to tell my stories of how I ramped a Chopper off a building onto a Scarab, not how Locke almost fell off the edge of a crumbling building.

Ah man.....memories. Best Halo moment ever for me was in an MP game in Halo 3, Banshee fires a plasma bomb and I boost my chopper off a dune right through it. Saved my arse and got me a kill. Fucking beautiful.....Awesome moment captured for all time in theatre and multiple screen shots.

Sorry, I digress....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom