• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

Does that mean the powerups will look like actual items? While I kind of miss the squares and pyramids I'd rather they look like real tech than the random balls of light from 3 on.

daedalius

Powerups will return in Halo 5: Guardians like the Speed Boost, Camo and Overshield. While we weren’t offered full information on all the ones returning, we were offered a little clarification on how they work. Players will need to walk up to the powerup, hold a button down to pick it up and the player will perform a short animation which will slam the powerup into their chest. This animation is consistent across all powerups but the item slammed into your chest will be unique for the powerup.

lol interesting

Gotta cast dat Radiance/Golden Gun/Arc Blade etc

singhr1

Powerups will return in Halo 5: Guardians like the Speed Boost, Camo and Overshield. While we weren’t offered full information on all the ones returning, we were offered a little clarification on how they work. Players will need to walk up to the powerup, hold a button down to pick it up and the player will perform a short animation which will slam the powerup into their chest. This animation is consistent across all powerups but the item slammed into your chest will be unique for the powerup.

lol interesting

In the Fathom gameplay from Rooster Teeth's E3 coverage, they showed someone picking up the overshield. I wasn't paying any particularly close attention but I think I remember it looking like how it does in H4 though, i.e. an item pickup. I'd need to see it again to be sure.

jem0208

Does that mean the powerups will look like actual items? While I kind of miss the squares and pyramids I'd rather they look like real tech than the random balls of light from 3 on.

Sounds like they might look quite similar to how the Reach armour abilities looked when on the floor.

VinFTW

In the Fathom gameplay from Rooster Teeth's E3 coverage, they showed someone picking up the overshield. I wasn't paying any particularly close attention but I think I remember it looking like how it does in H4 though. I'd need to see it again to be sure.

I still haven't found that footage :X

Links?

Sounds like they might look quite similar to how the Reach armour abilities looked when on the floor.

That's pretty much what it looks like, you can see one in the Conan video.

OS%20Halo%205.png

From the interview, I love how there is a strong push at 343 to bring back random selection of maps/gametypes in matchmaking.

Having the option to vote/veto is great but it can lead to a stale experience when people vote for the same thing time and time again. I'm guilty of voting for my favorites consistently and making my own experience stale.

Veto worked. Voting ruined everything.

Snowbound came up, and you hear someone yell over their mic,
"Vetooooo... Vetooooo....!"

Growing ever more desperate as the countdown approached zero,

"Come on, lick the blue skittle!"

Boop. Boop. Boop. BEEP. No dice. Not enough people had vetoed.

"Fuuuuck. I haaaate Snowbound broooo...!"

link1201

From the interview, I love how there is a strong push at 343 to bring back random selection of maps/gametypes in matchmaking.

Having the option to vote/veto is great but it can lead to a stale experience when people vote for the same thing time and time again. I'm guilty of voting for my favorites consistently and making my own experience stale.

Yay, I want to play all the maps. :)

Indeed; I'm happy it's actually you, Breakaway. Made me laugh. :)

Beyond with the content:

INTERVIEW WITH JOSH HOLMES ON HALO 5: GUARDIANS
http://teambeyond.net/interview-josh-holmes-halo-5-guardians/

HALO 5: GUARDIANS WILL SHIP WITH SIX WARZONE MAPS
http://teambeyond.net/halo-5-guardians-will-ship-with-six-warzone-maps/

Hmm I wonder if that means 7 Arena Maps with alternate. Is there any other modes at Launch?

VETOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO they cried as Isolation CTF came up on the board

4 votes...3 seconds...2...1...

"oh my bad dawg I went to the resturant couldn't veto AW MAN ISOLATION FUCK THIS"

At least it's not Isolation.

343, copy Mario Kart 8 for voting, but fix the issue that is that the previous played on maps don't appear on the next vote.

mario kart voting is hilarious. Loved being the odd vote out and winning.

plus all the tracks in mario kart and varied and fun....some maps in halo should just be burned (stares angrily at abandoned)

Ramirez

Wait, so are the 6 Warzone maps part of the 20 or are they considered separate like Reach Firefight maps?

Of course they're part of the 20, you didn't think the game was shipping with 20 Arena maps...?

I'm betting a 10/4/6 split with BTB getting the short end of the stick...and I'm ok with that.

Here's what I'm curious about,

-Eden
-Empire
-Regret
-Truth
-2 Forge maps
-Fathom (I think that was the name)

If the 2 Forge maps count, there's not many maps left to be shown for Arena. Maybe they don't count, I don't know. Stinkles? Josh? Kappa?

Wow, you took me back.. didn't realize other people adopted the blue skittle. Yeah, I mean H2 had a bunch of good maps/gametypes, so it became almost sort of necessary to have veto in H3. I would be very happy with veto coming back above randomness/voting.

To be fair, Arena maps get played more due to shorter game times, so it makes sense to have more of them, and less BTB maps.

Exactly the logic I was going to go for. Then for DLC maybe every 2 months, 2 arena and 1 BTB/Warzone per pack. It'll be interesting to see how they do it.

dwells

Holmes assured us that this was to focus on a bug free Warzone experience and they only had the manpower to focus on one of these experiences and not both at the same time. Big Team Battle in Halo 5: Guardians will have its own unique maps and will not be modified variants of existing Arena maps.

And BTB is a consequence of schedule rather than a sacrifice to Warzone. If you could see how intricate and interdependent a AAA game production schedule is, you'd see that you can't just move one thing for another. And BTB is its own beast , with dedicated maps, rather than subsets or expansions of existing ones.

So, which is it then?

dwells

They are saying the same damn thing.
I'm honestly confused. The way I'm reading it is that Holmes is saying that the reason BTB is delayed is because they're working on Warzone instead. Then Frankie is saying that BTB being delayed is its own scheduling thing and not due to Warzone?

Someone help me figure out where I'm misinterpreting. I'm not trying to be negative or anything here, I'm legitimately confused.

Ramirez

I'm honestly confused. The way I'm reading it is that Holmes is saying that the reason BTB is delayed is because they're working on Warzone instead. Then Frankie is saying that BTB being delayed is its own scheduling thing and not due to Warzone?

Someone help me figure out where I'm misinterpreting. I'm not trying to be negative or anything here, I'm legitimately confused.

They didn't have the resources to work on both at the same time. The reality being that if you're offering 16 free maps, you need to get the mode out that is likely allowing this to be a thing to the masses with no launch problems. Plus he says BTB is coming weeks after launch, so it would appear people won't have to wait long.

jem0208

Consequence of schedule = We don't have the time to deliver a good experience for both, so we're focusing on one for release then polishing up the other afterwards.

Not a sacrifice to Warzone = We're not abandoning BTB to force people into Warzone.

Ah, I get it. When Frankie said that BTB isn't a "sacrifice" to Warzone, he meant in the sense of trying to get people to play it; like, they weren't delaying BTB to induce fans of large-scale Halo to try Warzone.

343, copy Mario Kart 8 for voting, but fix the issue that is that the previous played on maps don't appear on the next vote.

Pretty much. While we're at it, copy the Super Smash spectator mode gambling, too.

They didn't have the resources to work on both at the same time. The reality being that if you're offering 16 free maps, you need to get the mode out that is likely allowing this to be a thing to the masses with no launch problems. Plus he says BTB is coming weeks after launch, so it would appear people won't have to wait long.

As long as it works and isn't in some BS weekly rotating list, I'm cool with waiting. Campaign and Warzone will keep me busy for a few weeks, probably.

I was just thinking, the Legendary Magnum has to be projectile-based in order for it to feel true to the original. Are there any nonhitscan UNSC weapons left other than the Railgun and Shotgun? I don't know if I see them doing that.

dwells

Ah, I get it. When Frankie said that BTB isn't a "sacrifice" to Warzone, he meant in the sense of trying to get people to play it; like, they weren't delaying BTB to induce fans of large-scale Halo to try Warzone.
Ah, that's where the confusion is then. I was reading it as "sacrifice" meaning BTB being ready for launch was a goal they had to sacrifice to ensure Warzone rolled out properly and that BTB being delayed was its own scheduling thing that would've happened regardless. So to me it seemed like Josh and Frankie were saying the opposite of each other.

Thanks.

I was just thinking, the Legendary Magnum has to be projectile-based in order for it to feel true to the original. Are there any nonhitscan UNSC weapons left other than the Railgun and Shotgun? I don't know if I see them doing that.

I thought that the sniper was still projectile?

Really, really fast projectile, but still projectile.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
standout stuff from the team beyond interview:

In Halo 5: Guardians, join-in-progress will be enabled for Warzone. However, it will be disabled across the board for Arena gametypes.

good!

The team is discussing the negatives and positives of a veto system seen in Halo 3, a pick what you want to play system seen in Reach/Halo 4 and a ‘here’s a map/gametype – you’re playing it’ system seen in Halo 2 and the Halo 5: Guardians beta. Holmes said there was a strong push for the third option mentioned.

3rd option please.

“quit penalty” being used to try and encourage people to not quit when a map/gametype is chosen

gotta be somewhat strict. tough to balance though.

As for Theater, this mode is currently only available for Multiplayer. Holmes didn’t flat out say that it wouldn’t be available for Campaign similar to Halo 4 but they simply didn’t want to confirm or deny anything at this time because they don’t know if it will be there at launch or not.

if it doesnt make launch i hope they are able to add it down the road.

Holmes recently talked on our forums how the Pistol is the best iteration since the Halo: CE pistol back in 2001. Since the beta, the gun has been both nerfed and buffed to make it a much more viable weapon and he promises that the gun is in a much better place now than it was in the beta. Saucey, who played the game at E3 this past week, said the Pistol had a slower rate of fire but it absolutely packed a punch when your shots connected.... the gun kick which made some weapons like the Pistol a tough task in the beta because you were constantly fighting with the gun kick and trying to aim it at the player. This has been toned down hugely to the point that it is non-existent.

i thought the pistol was pretty good in the beta, especially as a sidearm, but it does indeed look more potent in gameplay. this is great.

To start off, we can confirm that when Halo 5: Guardians launches later this year, there will be a total of six maps that were created from the ground up for Warzone. Additionally, between October 2015 and June 2016, there will be six more maps also created for Warzone that will be released for free.

thats way more than i expected. as i'm about unsure of how good a mode this will be, long term, i think their time may have been better spent working on more arena/btb maps and doing a wait and see to how the community responds to such a mode.

The weapon systems for Halo 5: Guardians were also re-worked entirely to allow 343 Industries to modify the weapons in the game without needing to release title updates seen with past titles.

tbhis is potentially good, but i hope they tweak responsibly.

nice. more stuff to center combat around and encourage map control. not sure i need an animation for it, but who cares.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
VETOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO they cried as Isolation CTF came up on the board

4 votes...3 seconds...2...1...

"oh my bad dawg I went to the resturant couldn't veto AW MAN ISOLATION FUCK THIS"
"I went to the restaurant"

dem slow matchmaking queues at work

Quit penalty shouldn't be that much of an issue in H5 compared to MCC since there are multiple ways to punish players. If it's a ranked game, your rank(s) both your skillbased and experience, should get penalized. If you quit too much, you lose the ability to get req packs when you rank up. Unranked should be the same way, but obviously it only effects your experience gain rank and req packs from that.

I believe that would be enough to keep players from quitting. Also it would somewhat force these players to buy req packs. Which is good for 343, but also for the other players, since these quitters will think twice before doing it again.

I'm reminded why I don't usually bother with Gaming-side Halo threads...

There are two topics I don't even bother with on gaming side: Halo and Destiny.

I'm reminded why I don't usually bother with Gaming-side Halo threads...

Yeah, Frankie is handling it like a boss. My hype levels have been increasing by the day, and I can see the positive side of almost every decision they have come out with this week so far. It's nice and refreshing. But for every one person that understands why they made a decision, you get 3 kids spewing ignorance.

I hope that since they are gonna put Halo Reach on the backwards compatibility thing, that doesn't mean they are not gonna ever put it into the MCC. :(

Gambling REQ points on spectated matches like in Smash would be awesome.

And speaking of Nintendo, Mario Kart 8's voting is better than the three options they discussed in that interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom