• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impala26

Wasn't Left 4 Dead's Versus mode basically the same thing?

Sort of.

L4D Versus plays WAY more asymmetrically than Counter-Operative PD or Firefight Versus Reach.

On that note though, Splinter Cell (Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory) has a really fun asymmetrical versus multiplayer mode that was spies versus mercenaries.

Madness

What are the odds that MCC goes games for gold soon? I'm getting tired of swapping discs. So many patches and updates on top of my disc, just seems digital is the way to go. I'm also worried that I'm going to ruin the BD drive sometimes swapping discs back and forth.

How'd you even flesh out versus?
A lot of potential with a fully realized Firefight Versus. For example, OverRun from Gears Judgment.

This is a good link to get an idea. Just switch a lot of these ideas with Halo, like using Grunts and other species of the Covenant. When this was announced for Gears I was so hyped; the mode was really fun but limited because Judgment was a smaller package. You could imagine how popular this kind of gametype would be in Halo.
It was custom games only for like 99% of it's lifespan. I'm sure Bungie put out a playlist for it for like a weekend, but only that.
Unfortunately, it had the netcode of campaign so there was button delay like in Generator Defense, another fun gametype.
Man, that gif really hit a nerve. It's okay bro, we all get caught with our pants down at some point. Again, here's the bengay for your knees.
You misread the tone of my posts breh, it's all in good luv. Seems I may have been the one to hit the nerve seeing as how you never type these semi-serious posts, even threw a "Man" in there lol

Motion tracker babby

EDIT:
Keep editing that post, you'll get your point across eventually.
pjsalt.png

On that note though, Splinter Cell (Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory) has a really fun asymmetrical versus multiplayer mode that was spies versus mercenaries.
Nothing will ever top spys vs mercs....

more people need to try 10 sensitivity; it's great once you get used to it

pre-60fps thats all I played on, after 60fps I had to kick it down to 6-7

Speaking of sensitivity, hope they bring back the 1-30 setting in Gears of War ultimate.

the extra 10 notches post patch was great, 30-30-15 for life.

Mistel

Banned
A lot of potential with a fully realized Firefight Versus. For example, OverRun from Gears Judgment.

This is a good link to get an idea. Just switch a lot of these ideas with Halo, like using Grunts and other species of the Covenant. When this was announced for Gears I was so hyped; the mode was really fun but limited because Judgment was a smaller package. You could imagine how popular this kind of gametype would be in Halo.
So give each of the Covenant species different attributes and unlock more as you kill players/destory objectives until either the time runs out or the Covenant wins so basically overrun ala halo.

AlStrong

Speaking of Firefight, Firefight Versus was awesome and has the potential to be a huge mode for Halo if fleshed out.

Wow, i played a ton of Reach and i dont think i ever touched that mode.

Son of a butt.

I didn't really play that either (although to be fair, I was usually in a group of three altogether).

I wonder if dedicated servers could actually be very beneficial for this. I really liked the Overrun mode in Gears Judgment.

Imagine you could play campaign in a Halo game and random Elites were actual humans

Spartan-420 reporting for dooooooooooooood

daedalius

Yeah, I don't mind motion tracker in Destiny. You never know what weapons players have or if they have supers. I wish the motion tracker would turn yellow for players with charged supers, though.

TRIALS THE GOAT.

I need to be carried Biggy, I need your adamantium spine to take me to Mercury.

HTupolev

I wonder if dedicated servers could actually be very beneficial for this.
Due to the greater amount of upstream bandwidth available, probably. One really big issue with netcode in Halo's 3 and beyond is that there's simply too much stuff to smoothly handle with asynchronous netcode on peer-to-peer connections, hence the use of cleverly-tweaked* lockstep.

Because of the focus on coop PvE, Destiny had to just deal with it and figure out a way to make peer-to-peer work with low latency... which seems to have involved drastically cutting down on the density of physicsable objects, and having loot not be networked at all.

*Yay client-side aiming.

Fuchsdh

Imagine you could play campaign in a Halo game and random Elites were actual humans

PDXBLA had matchmaking for Counter Op. So you would select counter op online, and try to finish the level without the other human controlled AIs killing you. Was pretty tense. In the original game it was splitscreen only, so you could screenlook to see where they were setting up on you.

I've been rather surprised by how enjoyable Fable Legends is; I expected it would fall to shit as soon as you had a bad villain, but it seemed fairly enjoyable throughout and it took me a few runthroughs to really "get" that no, the mines weren't going to be in the same place, and the fodder wasn't just around that bend. Applying that to a humans vs. Covenant assault/defense type engagement, whether templated on Firefight or Invasion, would be pretty cool.

I've been rather surprised by how enjoyable Fable Legends is; I expected it would fall to shit as soon as you had a bad villain, but it seemed fairly enjoyable throughout and it took me a few runthroughs to really "get" that no, the mines weren't going to be in the same place, and the fodder wasn't just around that bend. Applying that to a humans vs. Covenant assault/defense type engagement, whether templated on Firefight or Invasion, would be pretty cool.

Agreed. Adding a human element to typical PvE does wonders. They don't even have to be particularly good, just increasing the sheer unpredictability helps.

And Fable Legends is shaping up into something special. Finally got into the beta, this weekend was a TON of fun.

Fuchsdh

Agreed. Adding a human element to typical PvE does wonders. They don't even have to be particularly good, just increasing the sheer unpredictability helps.

And Fable Legends is shaping up into something special. Finally got into the beta, this weekend was a TON of fun.

So happy it's going to be F2P so more people are likely to jump on.

FyreWulff

Due to the greater amount of upstream bandwidth available, probably. One really big issue with netcode in Halo's 3 and beyond is that there's simply too much stuff to smoothly handle with asynchronous netcode on peer-to-peer connections, hence the use of cleverly-tweaked* lockstep.

Because of the focus on coop PvE, Destiny had to just deal with it and figure out a way to make peer-to-peer work with low latency... which seems to have involved drastically cutting down on the density of physicsable objects, and having loot not be networked at all.

*Yay client-side aiming.

Destiny uses dedicated servers for PvE for all the heavy lifting. Less physics objects was to counter potential cheese.

Loot is local to you is also for balance reasons, so that they can have perks or modifiers that change what drop for you and nobody else. And also keeps assholes from vacuuming up all of the ammo before you can get to it.

Was a bit of a mind bend when I first played Destiny though, I was always saving the heavy ammo drops for a teammate to come pick up.. lol

Karl2177

I found a bug in ODST. If you collect an audio file on one version of Mombasa Streets, it doesn't carry over to the next checkpoint of Mombasa Streets. As a result, each individual checkpoint of Mombasa Streets has a unique set of audio files.

pre-60fps thats all I played on, after 60fps I had to kick it down to 6-7
Yeah that's true, especially in Halo 3. Had to test around 5-7 to feel more comfortable. I get this weird bug sometimes where it goes superrrr slow when turning left or right, still not sure if it's my controller or TMCC.
Speaking of sensitivity, hope they bring back the 1-30 setting in Gears of War ultimate.

the extra 10 notches post patch was great, 30-30-15 for life.
Can't wait for this game. That Gears itch needs some serious scratching lol
So give each of the Covenant species different attributes and unlock more as you kill players/destory objectives until either the time runs out or the Covenant wins so basically overrun ala halo.
Yup, for example Suicide Grunts, Elites with Swords and Camo, Jackals w/ the Shield we've all been dying to see in a pvp environment (sorry HLS), and so on.

Could bring back Ordnance Drops and Armor Abilities just for this mode. This is the mode where they could crazy with loadouts, perks, killstreaks, etc.
What did they do to CE besides remove radar?
Reduced aim assist significantly. Haven't played much CE since the update so can't say for sure anything else, just did a couple tests.

King Leo

Neo Member
Wat

It would be cool if we could stop with this "AR starts promote more movement" myth. If a pistol is "OP" again, everyone will use that instead of other weapons and then we have that sandbox variety in question again.

In Halo 5's case, AR starts DO promote more map movement. They are viable now - a little too viable with smart scope, but that's for another discussion. If you have to get closer to your enemy to kill them, then yes, there will be more map movement than if it were BR starts. However, I'm more so arguing for magnum starts. How can you talk about an OP magnum messing up variety when you support BR starts? That doesn't make sense.

Anyway, the pistol will be viable at all ranges (and overall harder to use than the BR), and it will be noticeably more difficult to use at long range. Rifles will still have the advantage at longer ranges, but if a magnum-wielder is skilled enough, he can out-shoot those players. The player will be able to defend himself off-spawn, and with a higher-skilled weapon. BR starts will make the pistol completely useless, and depending on the map, it will promote static gameplay (peak shooting).

Obviously there are many factors that come into play when discussing map movement: like power weapons, powerups, map design, spawn locations, power positions, weapon locations, player skill, etc. The starting weapon is no different.

New patch really messed up Halo 1 MP
Fans Give Proof of Bullet Magnetism Bug in Master Chief Collection

Reduced aim assist significantly. Haven't played much CE since the update so can't say for sure anything else, just did a couple tests.

yup its completely different.

literally 0 bullet magnetism now

Yep it's all fucked up now. Stinkles pass it along.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd2uWu4o2bI

I dont understand how frequently they break, fix, and rebreak things with patches. Are they just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks?

tmac456

New patch really messed up Halo 1 MP
Fans Give Proof of Bullet Magnetism Bug in Master Chief Collection

Yep it's all fucked up now. Stinkles pass it along.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd2uWu4o2bI

I dont understand how frequently they break, fix, and rebreak things with patches. Are they just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks?

I just played it for the first time since the update... holy sweet fuck it is awful. pistol is absolutely broken now and they better get this shit fixed fucking ASAP and not wait a goddamn month.

Omni

Scripting bug
Scripting bug? How does that explain the lag that occurs when the host leaves a PvE game? Or the differences in hit detection when running sword in the Crota raid when not host?

I dunno. First I've ever heard of any part of Destiny being on dedicated servers and it certainly doesn't seem that way. //shrug

Welfare

It's a shame that CE seems to get the shit end of the stick when it comes to patches fucking things up.

The jumping that could kill you, anti auto aim, radar, AR and Shotties doing no damage to camo'd users, no magnetism. What's next, Pistol becomes a 4sk?

Karl2177

Scripting bug? How does that explain the lag that occurs when the host leaves a PvE game? Or the differences in hit detection when running sword in the Crota raid when not host?

I dunno. First I've ever heard of any part of Destiny being on dedicated servers and it certainly doesn't seem that way. //shrug

You're going to need to provide proof on the first paragraph because I've never heard of those before.

Omni

You're going to need to provide proof on the first paragraph because I've never heard of those before.
All anecdotal, I'm afraid. So I could very well be wrong. I've just never seen any official confirmation that dedicated servers are in play.

I've ran like... 80 Crota Raids and it's something I've noticed. If you didn't start the game as host there's a slight delay with picking up the sword and the hit registration when using it on Crota. If the host leaves in the middle of a firefight, enemies have a tendency to 'regain' health suddenly.

FyreWulff

The game lets you be all the way down in the Vault of Glass entrance, another teammate up in the Terminus and another deep inside the Strike area of Venus at the same time. If you were peer hosted, a 360 wouldn't be able to properly network your movement if you were in a level it didn't even have loaded, and it certainly wouldn't be able to support the full 30~ AI in each of those separate instances. This is why Halo forcibly teleported people forward in co-op campaign, because the host box had to deload the earlier parts of the level to be able to load the new parts in. Destiny doesn't do this except in certain scripted edge cases where it forces everyone forward to prevent exploitin'.

The only way to even make being able to constantly change areas of the map with whatever current battle is going on with random pubbies needs dedicated servers to even work.

Now there's various stuff handed off to the session lead or only done locally, but most of the heavy lifting stuff is only possible with dedicated servers.

Halo 5's probably going the same way with Azure hosted campaign co-op

All anecdotal, I'm afraid. So I could very well be wrong. I've just never seen any official confirmation that dedicated servers are in play.

I've ran like... 80 Crota Raids and it's something I've noticed. If you didn't start the game as host there's a slight delay with picking up the sword and the hit registration when using it on Crota. If the host leaves in the middle of a firefight, enemies have a tendency to 'regain' health suddenly.

I also recall a "host quit" glitch that finished Crota off. It go patched, I'm not sure why that would occur if it was dedis.

Shame with CE. Halo 5's right around the corner though, and that's as close as we'll get to
Combat Evolved 2
without it being
Combat Evolved 2.

If the Pistol is as strong as Josh says it is, I wonder what that means for a Keyes Magnum. Hopefully nothing since the SPNKR is returning, so surely they could still have the most iconic weapon in all of Halo ;]
hey yo how's dis?

tFC5KzU.png

i think this is your new avatar
Halo Legends: #ThePackage

Doesn't quite have the same ring as #butts though..

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The server magic in Destiny is really next gen stuff.

Makes you wonder what a company like 343 could do if they really wanted to try something bold.

Omni

The game lets you be all the way down in the Vault of Glass entrance, another teammate up in the Terminus and another deep inside the Strike area of Venus at the same time. If you were peer hosted, a 360 wouldn't be able to properly network your movement if you were in a level it didn't even have loaded, and it certainly wouldn't be able to support the full 30~ AI in each of those separate instances. This is why Halo forcibly teleported people forward in co-op campaign, because the host box had to deload the earlier parts of the level to be able to load the new parts in. Destiny doesn't do this except in certain scripted edge cases where it forces everyone forward to prevent exploitin'.

The only way to even make being able to constantly change areas of the map with whatever current battle is going on with random pubbies needs dedicated servers to even work.

Halo 5's probably going the same way with Azure hosted campaign co-op
Dunno. This makes sense but doesn't explain the oddities I've noticed.

Whatever the case, for the most part Destiny's solution works really well and if Halo 5's co-op is similar then I would be very happy.

The server magic in Destiny is really next gen stuff.

Makes you wonder what a company like 343 could do if they really wanted to try something bold.

I have to agree the servers and in game connection quality in recent months has been top shelf. I hope H5 really brings Azure and no P2P fallback to a next gen experience too.

FyreWulff

Dunno. This makes sense but doesn't explain the oddities I've noticed.

Whatever the case, for the most part Destiny's solution works really well and if Halo 5's co-op is similar then I would be very happy.

A lot of the stuff is scripting weirdness, where someone forgot to safety-check that the session 'owner' was moved to someone else, or the hit detection script doesn't fire off immediately or at all. One of the recent patches fixed up a bunch of their hit detection scripts and code since.

And with them going Azure instances even for customs in Halo 5, and they've outright said there is no p2p in halo 5's mp, might as well go full tilt and write the AI engine to use Azure so you don't have button latency and can do stuff like mid session joins

Combat Evolved 2.

That's what I always wanted. I was one of those grumps that started with CE and thought that Halo 2 messed up a lot of what I loved about Halo. (That isn't to say that I didnt enjoy H2 in its own way)

I do feel like H5 has a good chance but I need to check out how BTB and the vehicles feel first before I can go making wild claims like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom