• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 25| Did you think me defeated?!"

I wish the art style would go back to h3. Still stunning, very halo. Colorful and unique.
I remember thinking H3 was so ugly when it released and I think it was cause of the resolution.

Playing the campaign on MCC really highlighted how good the art was

Hitta93

Banned
I just want the standard 1-50 ranking system and better maps. Halo 5 is great to me(MP, haven't finished the campaign.)

Outside of Warzone.

Random17

It is crazy how they overlook the fun aspect for replayability. Look how fun Goldeneye was playing with things like golden gun, and DK head mode, etc. Why is it so satisfying putting grunt birthday party on. H2A had some great skulls.

Halo 6 absolutely needs daily/weekly commendations for campaign, fun skulls, modifier skulls, scoring, theater, and matchmaking. Plus, they need checkpoint systems so you can drop in and out of a specific part of the mission that is more fun. So maybe I just want to face 3 Wardens over and over without having to slog through the level etc.
The problems go deeper than that... rant incoming

Many people have said this already but if Halo 6 doesn't have:

1. A memorable narrative
2. Key features that help the community with attention to detail on the small things
3. The fun/replayable factor ala Rocket League
4. Be close to perfect ala the Witcher 3

Then it will simply continue the decline of Halo, or else be known as an underrated gem already betrayed by its predecessors.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/61jxer/the_feels/

I've said this before but the Halo community is not really a single community, rather it's an assortment of groups that overlap and focus on key aspects of the game. The Halo games had a lot of content, especially around the time of Halo 3, and this sprung up many communities.

However, with competition from other games, and the failings of development on the part of both Bungie and 343i, each community got hamstrung, and then lost a significant number of players, who never came back, or in my case just lost interest.

The original, young fan base grew up and got busy, and there weren't enough new players to fill the gap. Looking at posts on reddit today talking about the glory of Halo days (and this was a frontpage, #1 ranked post still tells me that there are many Halo fans who have simply become dissociated from the brand.) Looking at the fallout of ME:A has also got me thinking about continuing a story after it has been obviously completed.

There are a few exceptions; the speedrunning community blew up over the last five years, thanks to great content that got the attention of the mainstream, as well as some developer attention on part of 343i.

Forge has a similar success story. 343i paid attention, or at least made an effort, and the content produced regularly makes its way to FB posts and reddit's front page.

I can broadly list the communities here:

Campaign:
1. Lore community, both EU and game
2. Campaign community, and honestly this can be split by game as well. Some people love CE, others hate it etc etc
3. Speedrunning community
4. Splitscreen community/online co-op community

Firefight community
-Both Reach and ODST

Theatre
-Basically dead now. There was a huge online picture sharing community. It still exists, but there's little original content now.

Forge
-A whole beast on its own

Multiplayer
-Again, can be split by game
-Competitive community
-Casual community, could even be split by playlist

This is where the downfall began. The MP community took a huge hit with Reach, and then a double blow with Halo 4. There was a comeback with Halo 5 but the damage was done.

The Forge community took a huge hit with Halo 4, but it recovered.

Theatre/online sharing communities are a shell of their former selves. Bungie.net will not be replicated and there's little 343i can do about it.

Firefight: It's not the same when it's Warzone. One of the great aspects of Reach firefight was the customizable gameplay options.

Now after all that, we reach 2015, sure the online communities have taken a hit, but I'd argue at this point that the campaign community was still largely intact. Hate Halo 4 all you want, but it wasn't terrible. It had enough redeemable aspects from the lore perspective, despite its flaws, to maintain interest. It wasn't as fun as the Bungie games but it was enjoyable on its own. It's multiplayer is what killed it, but I'd take Halo 4 over Halo 5 any day of the week. It's a lot like the Hobbit trilogy actually, the first movie had not LOTR, but it was a redeemable movie. The next two installments had one or two good scenes, with the rest being insultingly terrible.

Halo 5 was probably what heavily damaged the lore seekers. Speaking to many, it was the first time where there was actual dread as to what future instalments were. Halo 4 was actually beloved by many members of the lore communities, because of the links to the EU. With Halo 5, many simply lost interest. The MC's story is probably overdone at this point anyway. The lack of split screen killed casual interest, and also caused a public pushback against the game.

This is significant because the campaign community was arguably the most loyal of the bunch. With every new game there's a new experience to look forward to. Multiplayer relies heavily on replayability, population numbers, and is affected significantly by other games. But those who liked the campaigns always came back to them. Until 2015, perhaps.

Halo 6 should 100% wrap up Chief's story and move onto something else. There's a metric fuck ton of opportunities for games in the Halo universe, especially during the Covenant war, where there's literal decades of conflict. And I don't mean an ODST 2; try something new that gets people's attention. As a lore fan, I quite enjoyed Halo Wars, because it showcased aspects of the UNSC, Covenant and the conflict in ways the the trilogy never could have. ODST and Reach were great additions for the same reason.

I suppose there's an advertising aspect to the Chief, but there are 1000 things in the universe with enough rule-of-cool factor to focus a game on. Hell, there's 20 years of conflict with Blue team in the HC war. That way you can keep the established characters/VA from Halo 5, while focusing on something more familiar. This way you have an excuse to:

1. Bring back familiar lore, times, enemies and art direction.
2. Try something new in terms of the structure, narrative, allowing for more creative freedom
3. Not have "the universe is at stake odds." Maybe just a planet or base, this time.
4. None of the stuff from the post war trilogy that many people seem to despise.

Hell, a game focusing on the early years of the war with the Chief (hopefully with original VA, because honestly the voice is worth it even if it doesn't make sense at age 14.)

This also properly introduces the Insurrection, allows for more world building, but then boom 1/3 of the way through the game you have a difficulty spike with the Covenant coming around. Those Innies you were shooting are nothing like the current threat now! And you don't know how to use the weapons; yet, every find we consider trivial in the later games is a brand new thing to focus on. Great way to reintroduce the old Covenant while doing more worldbuilding.

This allows the Covenant to be intimidating and scary once again. Add in a few interesting scenarios as seen in Titanfall 2 and you'll have a great addition to the franchise.

I should probably stop getting my hopes up.

Detective

That changes nothing.

It basically just makes standard jumping pointless.

Instead of seeing a bunch of jumps which require clamber you'll see a bunch of jumps which require double jumps.

Dump Clamber, add double jump. Solved.

And we are reaching to COD territories with Double jump. Just remove the Clamber and keep regular jump. The flow will be much better and more map design like what made halo great.

jem0208

I like clamber.

Halo 5 also has some really good map design.

We've got more good 4v4 maps in 5 than we got in most other Halo titles.

Detective

I like clamber.

Halo 5 also has some really good map design.

We've got more good 4v4 maps in 5 than we got in most other Halo titles.

It's preferences thing.

I see it as a limitation to a map design and gameplay flow.

And come on now, are you saying the maps in H5 are better than 3 and 2?

jem0208

It's preferences thing.

I see it as a limitation to a map design and gameplay flow.

And come on now, are you saying the maps in H5 are better than 3 and 2?

Good 4v4 Halo 3 maps:
- Guardian
- The Pit
- Narrows

Good 4v4 Halo 5 maps:
- Coliseum
- Plaza
- The Rig
- Fathom
- Truth
- Eden

Fuchsdh

Clamber I'm of two minds about. On one hand it's an obstruction into gameplay flow that I don't think has an innate benefit like sprint (speed tradeoff versus lethality) but I've found the combination of thrust+hover+clamber chains have been a lot more effective and fun for me as a player. Before I would rarely try a lot of crouch and grenade jumps in multiplayer because it was a lot more difficult to do.

Of the mechanics introduced to Halo 5 it's probably the first one I'd be willing to dump (okay, after smart-link.)

I remember thinking H3 was so ugly when it released and I think it was cause of the resolution.

Playing the campaign on MCC really highlighted how good the art was

Stuff like character animation aside I think Halo 3 has aged well because it brought next-gen fidelity but we hadn't reached the baroque levels of detail and texturing that I think is working against recognizable design in games these days. Even Halo Reach suffered a lot from Bungie starting to overdesign a lot of stuff.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm fine with clamber but I hate HATE the autostabalize jumps. At least with how cumbersome the current controls are to do it.

jem0208

I'm fine with clamber but I hate HATE the autostabalize jumps. At least with how cumbersome the current controls are to do it.

Oh man you've got to disable auto stabilise.

I actually really like stabilise but you're right that the controls are a faff.

op_ivy

Oh man you've got to disable auto stabilize.

I actually really like the feature but you're right that the controls are a faff.

I have it off. Maybe it's my brain refusing to learn a new trick, or maybe it's particularly sketchy on bumper jumper, but I couldn't wrap my head and hands around it. What's the process to do these?

Fuchsdh

I have it off. Maybe it's my brain refusing to learn a new trick, or maybe it's particularly sketchy on bumper jumper, but I couldn't wrap my head and hands around it. What's the process to do these?

I dunno because I don't use anything but default/reclaimer but it might just not be easy to do with bumper jumper. I went back and forth with stabilizers but I leave them off and just scope in quickly via the thumbstick.

Karl2177

Good 4v4 Halo 3 maps:
- Guardian
- The Pit
- Narrows

Good 4v4 Halo 5 maps:
- Coliseum
- Plaza
- The Rig
- Fathom
- Truth
- Eden

I know it's been beaten to death, but you really can't defend Rig when it's literally only good for one gametype. You don't see people saying High Ground is a good map just because of how well it plays one sided objective modes.

Also ignoring Citadel, Heretic, Cold Storage, and Ghost Town because?

op_ivy

I like rig slayer. I like all of 5's launch maps (though none, aside from maybe plaza, are truly great).

Fuchsdh

I know it's been beaten to death, but you really can't defend Rig when it's literally only good for one gametype. You don't see people saying High Ground is a good map just because of how well it plays one sided objective modes.

I mean, I think that's fine. You obviously need versatile maps, but the maps I remember best from the series are usually for a single game mode. 1Flag Relic, for example. Replaying it slayer on MCC reminded me that it's not great for anything besides assym. Same for High Ground.

Madness

Good 4v4 Halo 3 maps:
- Guardian
- The Pit
- Narrows

Good 4v4 Halo 5 maps:
- Coliseum
- Plaza
- The Rig
- Fathom
- Truth
- Eden

You know what makes Truth, Rig, Fathom, Eden, Coliseum and Plaza play well? They aren't as claustrophobic as the rest. High or open ceilings, more open maps, etc. There are a lot of things that can be done to make them improved still, especially in terms of aesthetics.

I still prefer a lot of CE, 2 and 3 map because I played them so much.

belushy

Banned

Same, I play on bumper jumper and can only do the stabilizer jumps if I take a bit of time to do one. Fuck doing it in a hectic game online lol

Karl pliss, that more than qualifies High Ground as a good map. It's the one-sided objective map.
Because jem.

Was watching Halo CE footage with increased FOV on PC and it looks great. It also makes the game feel faster.

Why can't we have a nice wide FOV in Halo? Doom 2016 allowed it on console.

HTupolev

Was watching Halo CE footage with increased FOV on PC and it looks great. It also makes the game feel faster.

Why can't we have a nice wide FOV in Halo? Doom 2016 allowed it on console.
I wouldn't be surprised if the decision is made primarily from motion sickness concerns. Too high can create issues for some people.

I remember that the Marathon 2 port on 360 gave a lot of people motion sickness, which led a lot of people to assume that the FoV was very low. I can't remember what I measured it at, but I remember that everyone got it wrong; the FoV was much higher than console shooters typically use.

Speaking of things we need: Customized controls

It's offensive that we can't set custom controls for Halo games.. O F F E N S I V E

How wide an FOV are we talking about?

Was between 90 and 125 (sounds high, but on Custom Edition it's not bad).

I wouldn't be surprised if the decision is made primarily from motion sickness concerns. Too high can create issues for some people.

I remember that the Marathon 2 port on 360 gave a lot of people motion sickness, which led a lot of people to assume that the FoV was very low. I can't remember what I measured it at, but I remember that everyone got it wrong; the FoV was much higher than console shooters typically use.

That's really weird, cuz motion sickness is usually caused from too low of an FOV. I played that port and loved it.

I typically like around 90-100, but every game is presents FOV differently.

Speaking of things we need: Customized controls

It's offensive that we can't set custom controls for Halo games.. O F F E N S I V E

I agree, especially because we have to use the Xbox Controller App to do it, which is clunky and annoying.

I agree, especially because we have to use the Xbox Controller App to do it, which is clunky and annoying.
What's lame with that is it's universally applied, so you can't save multiple profiles with different control schemes. Apparently the Elite controller can do this, but that should be a system-wide feature.

I don't expect that to change with the OS, so it'd be great to see custom controls in Halo 6.

Madness

quPcC1e.jpg

Just a reminder of Halo 3 at launch... we will never see things like this again for the series.

18j4f94io1zw9jpg.jpg

ODST launch day. Look how many people were playing Halo. Now it is behind several shooters and games. More people would rather play a different shooter on an Xbox than Halo.

quPcC1e.jpg

Just a reminder of Halo 3 at launch... we will never see things like this again for the series.

As much as I dont care for the Halo anymore.

I'm glad to have been a part of it. That was a great great night and launch.

but but but Mr penis head what are you doing here if you hate Halo?

Because I like the people, you self centred douchebag, yes you, the reader.

As much as I dont care for the Halo anymore.

I'm glad to have been a part of it. That was a great great night and launch.

but but but Mr penis head what are you doing here if you hate Halo?

Because I like the people, you self centred douchebag, yes you, the reader.

When did you decide you didn't like it? That's interesting to me.

I have struggled to enjoy Halo since Halo 4 up until now, but the original trilogy + reach still gets me goin.

jem0208

Honestly, I really don't get how you can like Reach but not like 4 or 5.

Reach to me is easily the worst Halo title. Besides the sheer amount of content there's not a single thing in Reach which I prefer to any other Halo title.

Hitta93

Banned
Reach is the worst, but I'm not going to pretend I didn't enjoy it at launch.

Invasion and the Spartan vs Elites gameplay is probably the best part of the MP. Had some decent maps too.

Fuchsdh

I like all the Halo games in different ways *shrug* Reach is probably the campaign I go back to the least but it's still a blast to play some of the custom games with friends at a LAN.

jem0208

I like all the Halo games in different ways *shrug* Reach is probably the campaign I go back to the least but it's still a blast to play some of the custom games with friends at a LAN.

I still really like Reach, I think it's a great game, I just think it's the worst Halo.

Halo 3 to me is still the peak of Halo in particular for custom games. The Halo's afterward are all good and bad in their own ways but they cannot top the king in my opinion.

Madness

Reach to me is easily the worst Halo title. Besides the sheer amount of content there's not a single thing in Reach which I prefer to any other Halo title.

There is nothing redeeming about Halo 4. Was garbage in almost all aspects. Reach was superior in everything, even the MP with some tweaks. Instant respawns, killcams, global ordnance, personal ordnance, promethean vision, so many missing things at launch. Teen angst MC and that whole storyline was irrelevant. Spartan Ops was garbage compared to Reach firefight which itself paled in comparison to ODST firefight. You may hate Reach and think its the worst but even Pros preferred playing it to H4.

H5 is just different altogether. I don't even really consider it Halo. I consider it something all new. Halo to me was CE to 3, ODST and Reach were parts of the whole. H4 doesn't exist like Gears:Judgment in my eyes.

Firefight is better than the Warzone version!

jem0208

There is nothing redeeming about Halo 4. Was garbage in almost all aspects. Reach was superior in everything, even the MP with some tweaks. Instant respawns, killcams, global ordnance, personal ordnance, promethean vision, so many missing things at launch. Teen angst MC and that whole storyline was irrelevant. Spartan Ops was garbage compared to Reach firefight which itself paled in comparison to ODST firefight. You may hate Reach and think its the worst but even Pros preferred playing it to H4.

H5 is just different altogether. I don't even really consider it Halo. I consider it something all new. Halo to me was CE to 3, ODST and Reach were parts of the whole. H4 doesn't exist like Gears:Judgment in my eyes.

Bloom alone makes me prefer 4. Shooting just didn't feel as good in Reach. I'd rather play Halo 4's mp with all the random ordnance etc. than Reach with bloom.

Also I don't hate Reach at all.

Firefight is better than the Warzone version!

Hm, fair enough.

Although ODST's firefight is far better than Reach's.

Top Bottom