• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
The superbowl is not the proper place to advertise an xbox exclusive video game that isn't going to be released for 7-10 more months.

Now.. a Microsoft showcase event coming up at the end of February on the other hand...
Or you know what else?

The internet. Boom, just drop a trailer, everyone freaks out.

cbFlg.png

More experimenting.

If you're going to have people mass quitting bots as replacements would be a solution. The best? Probably not. But it's better than say going through this:

28QUU.jpg

Tunavi at the bottom of the scoreboard to no one's surprise.

I like the idea of the 30 second timer to end the game.

As for the fourth round of a one sided objective game, I really wish all one sided objective games were two rounds, unlimited scores per round, 5 minutes per round.

Tunavi at the bottom of the scoreboard to no one's surprise.

I like the idea of the 30 second timer to end the game.

As for the fourth round of a one sided objective game, I really wish all one sided objective games were two rounds, unlimited scores per round, 5 minutes per round.

Well that one isn't even a fourth round, it's invasion. It wasn't going to end till we hit 100 kills or he quit.

heckfu

Banned
The superbowl is not the proper place to advertise an xbox exclusive video game that isn't going to be released for 7-10 more months.

Now.. a Microsoft showcase event coming up at the end of February on the other hand...

So three extra weeks makes that big of a difference to you? I'm sure more people will be watching the Microsoft meeting than the Super Bowl.

So three extra weeks makes that big of a difference to you? I'm sure more people will be watching the Microsoft meeting than the Super Bowl.

Do you realize how much money a Super Bowl ad costs?
Do you realize how much of the actual people watching the super bowl are possible Halo 4 customers?

A small fraction.
Know how many people interested in Microsoft's showcase will invest in Halo 4?
100%.

A much smarter use of money.

Yep, Monday, Dec. 4 on ESPN's Monday Night Football .

Yeah and that was a computer generated teaser trailer, similar to the one we have for Halo 4.

But you can't really compare Halo 3's marketing campaign to Halo 4.

The digital world is extremely different now than it was in 2006.
Word of mouth is an extremely powerful method, especially with tools like twitter and facebook.
Information can pass to various different groups of people very cheaply and very fast... depending on how interesting that information is.
The more hyped the subject, the more interesting the news.
The longer they delay Halo 4 news, the greater the hype, the faster it will spread. :)

The game actually living up to the hype is another matter.
But they are obviously willing to risk that, so you know the game is gunna be good!

But of course all of that is just my assumption.
Who knows what they are planning.

heckfu

Banned
Do you realize how much money a Super Bowl ad costs?
Do you realize how much of the actual people watching the super bowl are possible Halo 4 customers?

A small fraction.
Know how many people interested in Microsoft's showcase will invest in Halo 4?
100%.

A much smarter use of money.

You will never be able to convince me it wouldn't be smart for an ad to be aired during the super bowl.

Your money argument don't hold much water for me since it IS Microsoft we are talking about. The user base is probably a good idea but this would be a good way to draw in more fans since the audience is huge.

Yeah and that was a computer generated teaser trailer, similar to the one we have for Halo 4.

But you can't really compare Halo 3's marketing campaign to Halo 4.

The digital world is extremely different now than it was in 2006.
Word of mouth is an extremely powerful method, especially with tools like twitter and facebook.
Information can pass to various different groups of people very cheaply and very fast... depending on how interesting that information is.
The more hyped the subject, the more interesting the news.
The longer they delay Halo 4 news, the greater the hype, the faster it will spread. :)

The game actually living up to the hype is another matter.
But they are obviously willing to risk that, so you know the game is gunna be good!

But of course all of that is just my assumption.
Who knows what they are planning.

The state of Halo in the eyes of the general public is vastly different now as well. Not only was Halo THE game in that period, but Halo 3 was the third game in a trilogy, which I think has some built in hype to it.

You will never be able to convince me it wouldn't be smart for an ad to be aired during the super bowl.

Your money argument don't hold much water for me since it IS Microsoft we are talking about. The user base is probably a good idea but this would be a good way to draw in more fans since the audience is huge.

Have you ever seen a video game advertised at the super bowl?
No! It is a waste of money! Look at the ads you see during the super bowl.
What are the products?
Smart phones, bank accounts, cars, insurance, beer, chips, movies.
All the ads are for products that appeal to the general public.
The video game industry is just starting to rear its head into the affairs of the general public.
But even then, mostly that is just mobile games (that advertise themselves on mobile phone app stores) and Call of Duty.

The state of Halo in the eyes of the general public is vastly different now as well. Not only was Halo THE game in that period, but Halo 3 was the third game in a trilogy, which I think has some built in hype to it.

Exactly!

Some day you will see video game ads during the Super Bowl, and other big events.
And that day is coming soon!
But it isn't now.

Are we going to get information on the 29th or the 5th? I keep hearing there is an embargo till the 5th is that true? The wait is killing me

Highlands just showed up in BTB.

After I recovered from my brain exploding, people voted Spire to be played.

WHAT THE FUCK

Also, did 343 change the voting screen in BTB to always have Slayer in slot 1? I don't recall it being like that before, and that's a terrible change.

cbFlg.png

More experimenting.
Hm. I definitely like the four inside the Halo more, but now I'm realizing it's the lightness of the color that's off-putting as well. I'd get rid of the gradient (is that what you call it?) from top to bottom and go with a darker blue overall.

Edit: Disregard my comment on the gradient, but I would definitely start out with a darker blue and go darker from there.

Hm. I definitely like the four inside the Halo more, but now I'm realizing it's the lightness of the color that's off-putting as well. I'd get rid of the gradient (is that what you call it?) from top to bottom and go with a darker blue overall.

Honestly the gradient makes the logo, A single colour makes it look incredibly flat.

MrBig

Thanks, it's a work in progress, still waiting for feedback from Frankie haha.

The material and chamfer make it look as if were made of something soft like fondant or play dough with a texture stamp on it.
Needs a hard edge and a more natural texture.

It also doesn't address the main problem I have with the H4 logo, which is a silhouette that doesn't read as well as the h2/3 logo.

feel

Stop making good looking alternate logos, makes it more painful to look at the real one.

VVV fuuuuuu that's hot

Fuchsdh

Stop making good looking alternate logos, makes it more painful to look at the real one.

But we have nothing else to dooooo

JXA7D.png

There's a compromising blend of the Halo 3 + plastic gradient of the new one. The beveling is still a bit off.

I would take any of the ones people have offered with the better silhouette, regardless of texturing. That's just good design sense, plain and simple. Dressing it up with nice chrome is just icing on the cake. We're doing 343i a favor by giving them a logo that will easily transfer and scale.

The material and chamfer make it look as if were made of something soft like fondant or play dough with a texture stamp on it.
Needs a hard edge and a more natural texture.

It also doesn't address the main problem I have with the H4 logo, which is a silhouette that doesn't read as well as the h2/3 logo.

The material is a iron+titanium IOR mix which due to the render engine I use is physically accurate to the data gathered in the lab for said IOR (specific wavelengths for each angle of incidence), however the lighting is soft due to a hexagonal aperture in the simulens camera with a dust and obstacle map for diffraction and scattering with values high enough to create that golden glow in the center in the original 343 design. The texture itself is from my titanium coffee /tea mug.

Could you throw some different "glows" on it. White? Blue/Cyan?

Sure thing.

The following are both awesome-

cbFlg.png

More experimenting.

JXA7D.png

There's a compromising blend of the Halo 3 + plastic gradient of the new one. The beveling is still a bit off.

I would take any of the ones people have offered with the better silhouette, regardless of texturing. That's just good design sense, plain and simple. Dressing it up with nice chrome is just icing on the cake. We're doing 343i a favor by giving them a logo that will easily transfer and scale.

Keep experimenting, trying new things, making them stand out as unique. Different textures, add some depth, etc. Personally I would go for something that matches the Forerunner and mysterious, aged yet alive style of the Halo 4 concept art. That said, I also like the clean and streamlined look.

Homeboyd

JXA7D.png

Not bad my man. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom