• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

I had fun streaming some Reach yesterday. I had to take back Anniversary since the disc was cracked. Got a new one today. Can't wait to play Anniversary multiplayer and stream that bitch.
VictoriousGAF infecting HaloGAF? I like where this is going.

daedalius

A lot of people probably ignored this since it's a Fyrewulff wall of text but aside from the 343i nerd rage and the notion that 85% bloom ruined the sandbox (it didn't), I can't say I disagree with all of it.

Sounds more like they got left holding the bag on a game where precise values of weapons and the like are a nightmare to update, not to mention working on a game of their own at the same time.

Wasn't it like 1 or 2 guys that did the TU? They put in 85% because everyone hates bloom, because its random garbage. Yea, the shield bleedthrough on some headshots is shit, and I wish they'd change it, and maybe they will, but they aren't going to dedicate the team to it; because that team is busy trying to get Halo 4 ready to go out the door this holiday.

I certainly wouldn't say 85% bloom 'ruined' the sandbox. Made the DMR a bit more bearable, yes; all this shit should have been fixed in the beta, but we all remember how seriously THAT was taken.

You think they would, but that community will vote them away hardcore. I remember helping a guy test a map's spawns that he wanted to submit to both ATLAS and MLG. He said it was impossible to get tests done for the MLG side of it because nobody wanted to play anything not in the official rotation, so as soon as they realized they were going to be playing non-official maps they'd just bail and go back to their own customs on the official maps. He lamented that in the same day these people would complain that there wasn't enough new maps being rotated in.

Wow that's sad :(

feel

Seems like every other junior is someone everyone but me knows. Am I the only one who sticks exclusively to halogaf and doesn't know or care about the rest of the Halo community? I feel like I'm missing out!!
lol not really

Seems like every other junior is someone everyone but me knows. Am I the only one who sticks exclusively to halogaf and doesn't know or care about the rest of the Halo community? I feel like I'm missing out!!
lol not really

It helps when you play the game from time to time too :p

CyReN

hs4P6.png

Linky.

Sounds more like they got left holding the bag on a game where precise values of weapons and the like are a nightmare to update, not to mention working on a game of their own at the same time.

Wasn't it like 1 or 2 guys that did the TU? They put in 85% because everyone hates bloom, because its random garbage. Yea, the shield bleedthrough on some headshots is shit, and I wish they'd change it, and maybe they will, but they aren't going to dedicate the team to it; because that team is busy trying to get Halo 4 ready to go out the door this holiday.

I certainly wouldn't say 85% bloom 'ruined' the sandbox. Made the DMR a bit more bearable, yes; all this shit should have been fixed in the beta, but we all remember how seriously THAT was taken.
Simple, just do it the way MLG did it pre-TU without bleedthrough. I believe it was 2 melees to pop the shield, 1 melee to kill an unshielded enemy. No AR rushing beatdowns, no sprint double melees, and the clear feedback system is kept in tact. Couple this with 85% bloom and I think it's the perfect compromise. Frankie said they're still tweaking the TU gametype settings, it's not like they have every single person at 343i working on Halo 4.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Me too. Hopefully that means loads of time for polish, tweaking, etc.

Halo 4 is playable from start to end and multiplayer is up. And we still haven't seen a single screenshot.

:0

I think Frankie's tidbit in the Bulletin is just about enough for me to keep my sanity until early March.

Here's hoping they go all out with the first reveal. I want to be picking my jaw off the floor.

Fuchsdh

Easy when you have a 3 hour campaign.

trollface.jpg

I've loathed Legendary playthroughs ever since Halo 2, so I'm just speedrunning through Halo 3's campaign to get the achievement. It's kind of sad that you can complete Tsavo Highway, The Storm and Floodgate together in 20 minutes with no preparation or any special tricks or jumps. I'd like a Halo campaign that really lasts without just padding it out via endless packed rooms or huge distances from A to B with nothing in between.

FyreWulff

huh, I would have thought that would have been possible since they're able to do so much with matchmaking.

It's been like that since Halo 2. It's a part of how the matchmaking system works, I think. The only time they've been able to mix configuration types is Invasion into other 6v6 lists. And they had to do a bunch of backend work after Reach launched to make it possible, and it probably was only possible since Invasion was close enough in makeup (I believe Invasion is technically 6 2-man teams in the engine).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
This MLG Halo news lately is so exciting. I was so tired of the MLG Halo community being all down.

Redford

aka Cabbie
My ideal playlist setup:

Competitive:
Arena
Team Slayer (Noble DLC required)
FFA (TU only, DLC required, more oddball)
BTB (Equal Objective/Slayer weighting, Noble, Defiant Required, TU)
Infection (Would do away with this in a heartbeat, but realistically its there to stay)
Combine Snipers and Swat (would piss their respective pops off, but eh)
Squad (All DLC required, basically the new DLC hopper ala Premium Battle)

Community:
MLG
Action Sack
Grifball

Omitted:
Multi-team
Double team
Squad DLC
Invasion
TU ZB Slayer
All but one of the Anniversary lists

Annnnnnd, basically have Anniversary playlists combined into one 4v4.

I'd imagine that, assuming people don't get pissed off and leave Reach forever, that should increase the population of each a fair bit. 11 in total. It would be great to trim it down to 9 by getting rid of playlists that were formerly DEXP weekends.

neoism

Nobody forced 343 to release a TU. They made their own bed. Hopefully they can back their Halo 4 TUs with more manpower.

You mean like the Halo 1 pistol? 3 didn't invent bullet leading in the series, nor did Reach introduce bloom.

fuck that.. however 4 plays I want it to be one way.

TCKaos

It's been like that since Halo 2. It's a part of how the matchmaking system works, I think. The only time they've been able to mix configuration types is Invasion into other 6v6 lists. And they had to do a bunch of backend work after Reach launched to make it possible, and it probably was only possible since Invasion was close enough in makeup (I believe Invasion is technically 6 2-man teams in the engine).

God, reminds me of Green vs Purple Invasion. That was some awesome shit.

If we ever get TU Invasion (jesuschristhowhorrifying.jpeg) then I hope we get Green vs Purple back.

I wish we could edit team traits individually. Being able to modify the settings of the Elites and the Spartans individually would work miracles for Invasion. Imagine Elites having weapons that aren't the Needle Rifle that actually do damage.

Halo 4 is playable from start to end and multiplayer is up. And we still haven't seen a single screenshot.

:0

I think Frankie's tidbit in the Bulletin is just about enough for me to keep my sanity until early March.

Here's hoping they go all out with the first reveal. I want to be picking my jaw off the floor.

And if the 29th info didn't leak we would still have no clue when to expect H4 news :lol

neoism

WTH? If the game is broken in some way, there is nothing wrong with TUs. Halo 2 would have never been as good as it was without a TU.

I'm taking about changing the way it plays in one play-list and different in another. I want 4 to play the same across all play-lists, fix bugs, and what not is fine. Lets hope they don't need one though.

Havok

My ideal playlist setup:
You're getting rid of the sole 4v4 core objective playlist while keeping four (five if you count Infection) separate slayer playlists. That's not eliminating a redundancy, that's eliminating the lone haven for people that want to play in a playlist where people can't just zerg vote Slayer. Invasion's population is regularly pretty high. Why remove it when that gametype is obviously popular and doesn't fit into any other playlist?

There are cuts that can be made, I'm not disagreeing with that. But it needs to be a reduction in the absurd number of slayer lists, not removing the only place people can go to play an entire class of gametypes without the omnipresent Slayer creeping in. Requiring DLC isn't really a good answer to improving the quality of matches when we know they can adjust the DLC matching on their end.

My ideal playlist setup:

Competitive:
Arena
Team Slayer (Noble DLC required)
FFA (TU only, DLC required, more oddball)
BTB (Equal Objective/Slayer weighting, Noble, Defiant Required, TU)
Infection (Would do away with this in a heartbeat, but realistically its there to stay)
Combine Snipers and Swat (would piss their respective pops off, but eh)
Squad (All DLC required, basically the new DLC hopper ala Premium Battle)

Community:
MLG
Action Sack
Grifball

Omitted:
Multi-team
Double team
Squad DLC
Invasion
TU ZB Slayer
All but one of the Anniversary lists

Annnnnnd, basically have Anniversary playlists combined into one 4v4.

I'd imagine that, assuming people don't get pissed off and leave Reach forever, that should increase the population of each a fair bit. 11 in total. It would be great to trim it down to 9 by getting rid of playlists that were formerly DEXP weekends.
I am so glad you're not in charge.

I'd be willing to bet on a September release date.
They already have a fully running campaign and working multiplayer.
Plus they're probably gunna want to release before Call of Duty/Medal of Honor 2.

Redford

aka Cabbie
You're getting rid of the sole 4v4 core objective playlist while keeping four (five if you count Infection) separate slayer playlists. That's not eliminating a redundancy, that's eliminating the lone haven for people that want to play in a playlist where people can't just zerg vote Slayer. Invasion's population is regularly pretty high. Why remove it when that gametype is obviously popular and doesn't fit into any other playlist?

There are cuts that can be made, I'm not disagreeing with that. But it needs to be a reduction in the absurd number of slayer lists, not removing the only place people can go to play an entire class of gametypes without the omnipresent Slayer creeping in. Requiring DLC isn't really a good answer to improving the quality of matches when we know they can adjust the DLC matching on their end.

You're right about the lack of objective in the lists, and also about the dedicated playlist; slipped my mind. But other than that, I stand by my choices.

I found that Invasion worked pretty well within the Noble 6v6 playlist. Got voted for as often as not. Tbh the gametype has barely changed since launch except with the assault phase on Breakpoint, if I'm not mistaken. I understand anything in 4 digits is considered "popular" but...

All the playlists have decent numbers, where else are the cuts going to be made? Infection? I'd love to, but anything in 10,000 is almost sacred.

These are just my humble thoughts, in any case.

Does anyone remember what the typical population for a playlist was in H3's heyday, out of curiosity?

I'd be willing to bet on a September release date.
They already have a fully running campaign and multiplayer.
Plus they're probably gunna want to release before Call of Duty/Medal of Honor 2.
The fully running campaign and multiplayer can have game breaking bugs etc. It doesn't mean that the game is finished very soon.

lol. Medal Of Honor 2? The first one got bombed. Halo 4 will outsell MoH2 on Xbox 360 + PS3.

The fully running campaign and multiplayer can have game breaking bugs etc. It doesn't mean that the game is finished very soon.

lol. Medal Of Honor 2? The first one got bombed. Halo 4 will outsell MoH2 on Xbox 360 + PS3.

Medal of Honor 2 running frostbite 2.0 (battlefield 3 engine) made by DICE is a force to be reckoned with, don't discount it.

But of course anyone with an Xbox is going to get Halo 4.
But what I'm saying is they don't want to release all at the same time.

And I never said it was finished, but 7-8 months is way more than enough time for polishing and bug fixing.

daedalius

Simple, just do it the way MLG did it pre-TU without bleedthrough. I believe it was 2 melees to pop the shield, 1 melee to kill an unshielded enemy. No AR rushing beatdowns, no sprint double melees, and the clear feedback system is kept in tact. Couple this with 85% bloom and I think it's the perfect compromise. Frankie said they're still tweaking the TU gametype settings, it's not like they have every single person at 343i working on Halo 4.

Sounds reasonable to me, so why the hell is Fyrewulf complaining so much? Instant patches would be great, but not realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom