• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop abusing the melee button. It'll treat you right if you stop being so clingy.

So you have never accidently got a assassination when you didn't mean to? I mean to be fair I havent played Reach seriously in a long time so maybe it was just the fact it was new, but even when Reach first came out I wasnt exactly ham fisted and sure pulled a few off without meaning to.

Whats wrong with having the option there tucked away in a menu or something? Players who never want to assassinate can just switch that setting, whoever wants to use them can use them. Seems like win win to me.

I have a friend who accidentally assassinates people all the time but thankfully it rarely happens to me. I'm talkin like, it's happened to me less than 10 times in my total playing of Reach. And you guys know I play a lot.

For me, the assassination animation actually holds weight. I don't do it often so when I do, it means something. It still looks bad ass to me.

10 times is too many. I mean its not exactly a common problem, but its still something that happens right? Still pretty annoying. I havent played Reach with a competitive mindset for a long time so I cant really justify my complaints, I normally go for Assassinations for the sake of it, so I couldnt tell you how often it happens accidently but im sure if I did play competitively it would throw me more than a few times.

I have 855 and they still feel and look badass to me. I'm with bobs though; my wanted backsmack occasionally turns into an assassination and vice versa.

They do look badass, but I just don't like getting interrupted when I want to carry on killing people lol. I personally think a backsmack was good enough in terms of making me feel badass, having an entire few second animation is overkill.

Karl2177

I have a friend who accidentally assassinates people all the time but thankfully it rarely happens to me. I'm talkin like, it's happened to me less than 10 times in my total playing of Reach. And you guys know I play a lot.

For me, the assassination animation actually holds weight. I don't do it often so when I do, it means something. It still looks bad ass to me.

I have 855 and they still feel and look badass to me. I'm with bobs though; my wanted backsmack occasionally turns into an assassination and vice versa.

FyreWulff

My favorite bug from the Reach Beta was during during the Firefight network test, you could assassinate your teammates with the animation because it apparently didn't ignore a held melee behind teammates in lockstep networking. Still got a betrayal and everything. Elites could do it to other elites too.

Overdoziz

Banned
I've hardly ever accidentally done an assassination but the times it did happen were really annoying. A toggle option doesn't hurt anyone and should definitely be available if assassinations are in 4.

Ramirez

Assassinations can go the way of the dodo, completely add nothing to the game, and only aid in slowing it down. They're not even fun to look at like executions in Gears, THAT's how you do a finisher.

Ahh yes. Fuckin insane. My favorite is the begging and pleading of having the DMR be 15 shots per clip rather than 10 or something. It's like really? That should be fuckin automatic.
DMR was originally 12 shots in the mag, and the needle rifle was like 16 or something meaning both weapons were 2 kills and change per clip. They were both changed to be 3 kills per clip. Of course we still have the pistol with 1 kill and change per clip, which makes no sense.

daedalius

DMR was originally 12 shots in the mag, and the needle rifle was like 16 or something meaning both weapons were 2 kills and change per clip. They were both changed to be 3 kills per clip. Of course we still have the pistol with 1 kill and change per clip, which makes no sense.

I remember that, SO BAD.

And those nuclear beta grenades... oh wait.

Trey

It was meant to be an auxilary weapon, for when you're in battle and ran out of ammo.

Ramirez

Heck, in Vanllia Reach I'm lucky if I can kill one guy with the pistol before reloading unless they're really far away and I can pace my shots without worrying about a million other things. Up close it was always spam, spam, spam and usually end with a melee when their shields popped, sloppy.

feel

As a fan of the feel of the quick melee to the back (dat surprisive faceplant), I'd like for them to ditch the odd third person animations for assassinations altogether and perhaps introduce alternate first person animations for when the melee is directed at the back of an enemy. Just different melee swing styles for every weapon.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
As a fan of the feel of the quick melee to the back (dat surprisive faceplant), I'd like for them to ditch the odd third person animations for assassinations altogether and perhaps introduce alternate first person animations for when the melee is directed at the back of an enemy. Just different melee swing styles for every weapon.

Yeah, no reason they can't do it. Battlefield 3 basically does this, and crysis 2 did it too.

Assassinations can go the way of the dodo, completely add nothing to the game, and only aid in slowing it down. They're not even fun to look at like executions in Gears, THAT's how you do a finisher.
I'm a big fan of the 'beating you to death with your own severed arm' animation. Makes me smile every time. However, I do enjoy Reach's assassinations; I just wish it required a longer hold on the melee button.

Ramirez

I'm a big fan of the 'beating you to death with your own severed arm' animation. Makes me smile every time.

Smashing someone's head in with a Hammerburst is a good one. I know that when someone was pissing me off in that game it always felt so good to execute them.

Kuroyume

Banned
Assassinations are stupid for several reasons but one that sticks out to me is the lack of variety. How many did Bungie make for a Spartan attacking? Like 5?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So you have never accidently got a assassination when you didn't mean to? I mean to be fair I havent played Reach seriously in a long time so maybe it was just the fact it was new, but even when Reach first came out I wasnt exactly ham fisted and sure pulled a few off without meaning to.

Whats wrong with having the option there tucked away in a menu or something? Players who never want to assassinate can just switch that setting, whoever wants to use them can use them. Seems like win win to me.

10 times is too many. I mean its not exactly a common problem, but its still something that happens right? Still pretty annoying. I havent played Reach with a competitive mindset for a long time so I cant really justify my complaints, I normally go for Assassinations for the sake of it, so I couldnt tell you how often it happens accidently but im sure if I did play competitively it would throw me more than a few times.

They do look badass, but I just don't like getting interrupted when I want to carry on killing people lol. I personally think a backsmack was good enough in terms of making me feel badass, having an entire few second animation is overkill.
Yea it's still annoying but in the grand scheme of things to complain about in Reach, it's towards the bottom of the list. I have bigger problems with grenades sticking to walls and floors instead of bouncing and shooting flag poles.

Also 343, flag juggling is in. No bullshit cool down that Bungie put in.

Ramirez

Yea it's still annoying but in the grand scheme of things to complain about in Reach, it's towards the bottom of the list. I have bigger problems with grenades sticking to walls and floors instead of bouncing and shooting flag poles.

Frags get stuck to your armor so often, it's ridiculous. It's like why won't that whirring sound leave me alone, I'm past the gre-*dead*.

I dont mind Assassinations but i think its too hard to just do a regular beat down/assassin from behind, Ideally id map it to another button, maybe tap up on the dpad when behind someone but i know poeple really dont like using the dpad at all so i think the timing just needs changing.

Trey

Frags get stuck to your armor so often, it's ridiculous. It's like why won't that whirring sound leave me alone, I'm past the gre-*dead*.

I always think I don't run into half the shit you guys piss in moan about, but then I remember I've played maybe a tenth as many games as the rest of you.

Perhaps I'm just not Reached out yet.

Tawpgun

Assassinations just need to be hard to do on accident.

I was thinking, what about a double tap instead of holding it down?

If you doubletap melee quick enough, it will go into an animation.

GhaleonEB

You don't see half of them because Spartans vs Elites only happens in Invasion now. There's Spartan vs Spartan, Spartan vs Elite, Elite vs Elite, and Elite vs Spartan animations, and the sword variants of each. Favorite one is still the Elite spinkick on Spartans.

Related, this is another reason why I hope we just go back to playing Spartans in Halo 4 MP. Having a second class to balance, animate, etc. and then find a (small) home for in matchmaking just subtracts from other areas which do - and did - need the attention.

Ramirez

I always think I don't run into half the shit you guys piss in moan about, but then I remember I've played maybe a tenth as many games as the rest of you.

Perhaps I'm just not Reached out yet.

Stuff like that happens to me multiple times a night, it's not like it's rare. Perhaps you're the type of person who can shrug stuff like that off, but I'm come to expect a higher standard from this franchise.

Karl2177

I like this idea. The only issue I can see is networking, but the frame of the simultaneous melee is more than enough to get a double tap in.

Trey

Same problem, considering you have to press melee inordinantly already to get an assassination. Make button options so that people can toggle whether hold is registered, similar to crouch, so that those that want no assassinations can choose for the melees to alway be interpreted as a tap regardless of how the player mauls the button.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ohh my god I hate that. I'm convinced there's magnetism on the grenades. And that sound of it hitting your armor. Ugghhh dreadful shit.

Assassinations are one of the few additions to Reach I want to return. Just make the time you have to hold the button longer so you don't have anymore accidental assassinations in bad situations.

Trey

Stuff like that happens to me multiple times a night, it's not like it's rare. Perhaps you're the type of person who can shrug stuff like that off, but I'm come to expect a higher standard from this franchise.

Probably. But I think I would remember grenades being stuck in people. There are misgivings you guys bring up that I find negligible for different reasons, like being able to shoot grenades out of people's hands (I have no problem with that because it's player caused, even if nobody ever means to do it) or accidental assassinations (because I like assassinations and I never accidentally do them). But bugged grenades are an issue everybody can universally agree on, and I just don't recall them.

Redford

aka Cabbie
sage_reverse.gif

"No assasinations? Not even the drop-down one?"

Also, when do you think you'll upload that Asylum tweak, Over? Would love to check it out.

Agreed. Im just talking on a more general note though, im fine with it in Reach because I dont really take the game seriously, but with H4 I would hate it if animations are back in without the toggle to turn em off.

Assassinations are one of the few additions to Reach I want to return. Just make the time you have to hold the button longer so you don't have anymore accidental assassinations in bad situations.

I guess I'd be okay with it if there were an option for me to turn them off.

"Ability to perform assassinations
___ Yes
___ No"

senador

Banned

Me too. I don't care if it makes me vulnerable or whatever, I enjoy watching them. If I have time and am safe, I do them. They should, however, add an option to disable them so people who prefer not to have them don't accidentally do them.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Ohh my god I hate that. I'm convinced there's magnetism on the grenades. And that sound of it hitting your armor. Ugghhh dreadful shit.

They just seem to bounce around longer than they would if you weren't there. They have some weird as shit arcs on The Cage.

Probably the worst on Countdown though.

daedalius

I like assassinations.

I also would have no issue with them making it require a double-tap of the button, and/or putting in a toggle to turn them off.

I guess I'd be okay with it if there were an option for me to turn them off.

"Ability to perform assassinations
___ Yes
___ No"
Yeah I'd be fine with that.

On a side note, what are additions from Reach that everyone does want to see return?
For me,
Grenade Launcher
Assassinations
Netcode
Concussion Rifle
Hologram

it's kind of sad the list is so small.

Ramirez

The Grenade Launcher is the only thing I want to return from Reach, literally. I want the Carbine back so bad, I've been waping kids with it in 3 the past couple days.

Probably. But I think I would remember grenades being stuck in people. There are misgivings you guys bring up that I find negligible for different reasons, like being able to shoot grenades out of people's hands (I have no problem with that because it's player caused, even if nobody ever means to do it) or accidental assassinations (because I like assassinations and I never accidentally do them). But bugged grenades are an issue everybody can universally agree on, and I just don't recall them.

Oh it 100% happens ive seen it a few times, not like it happens game after game but it 100% happened more commonly than it should.

Can you imagine Sage had the idea to remove the backsmack entirely and make it assassinations only :lol

See the fact that he really wanted that to happen really makes me question the fact that no one else at Bungie questioned some of his other additions, that should have set red flags off all over the place lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom