• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melee shouldn't have that incredible lunge. Two smacks should not kill you. A dash, smack then fire is like the dumbest thing ever in this game. It's like the whole game is just cheese.

FyreWulff

I agree with this, though I do like bleed through, but it's not messaged well in the UI. I wish that had been addressed when it was implemented; it's one of great frustrations of the TU game types. Melee could be bumped down a bit with it turned on.

I keep coming back to Halo 3, which I thought had the right balance. Arg.

They could have salvaged it, but then they decided to do their cute little update where the TU pistol went from a 4SK to ALMOST popping your shields but does not. Why not just have it pop the damn shields? Makes no sense that 4 shots from a DMR tell you you're in trouble, but 4 shots from the pistol do not, but either situation kills you on the fifth shot from the weapon.

If they're going to be pulling that, then bleedthrough can just go take a hike.

Melee shouldn't have that incredible lunge. Two smacks should not kill you. A dash, smack then fire is like the dumbest thing ever in this game. It's like the whole game is just cheese.
The lunge particularly is what makes it pretty dumb, but as I understand it it was something added in Halo 2 to compensate for the online environment.

Havok

Get rid of melee bleedthrough as well, since it makes the AR overpowered at close range. The only way you can keep melee bleedthrough is if the rest of the sandbox is retweaked.
That seems needlessly complex when the real issue is the power of the melee itself. Anniversary gametype melee bleedthrough is a complete nonissue since it isn't a two hit kill anymore. That's one of the things from those settings that I absolutely think needs to go global. The Halo 3-onward super melee is a blight on good gameplay.

I don't think either vanilla or TU Reach has managed to make melee interesting, primarily because they've kept it at a ridiculous level of power.

That seems needlessly complex when the real issue is the power of the melee itself. Anniversary gametype melee bleedthrough is a complete nonissue since it isn't a two hit kill anymore. That's one of the things from those settings that I absolutely think needs to go global. The Halo 3-onward super melee is a blight on good gameplay.

Should be 3 hits. And close quarters combat should be awkward if both parties are resorting to meleeing in a fucking shooter. That's why I was never fond of melee wars in Halo. If we want to play who can spam punches faster I'd go play something else.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tobias.gif
real2tkufq.gif

FyreWulff

I feel the melee combat in all Halo games has been fairly meh. You're basically trading one meh mechanic for another meh mechanic no matter which system you use.

I liked how you could do two different melees in Perfect Dark - one was strong and would kill quickly. The other was weaker but you could disarm someone of the gun they were holding. I don't think a disarm mechanic would work in Halo though.

Havok

Should be 3 hits. And close quarters combat should be awkward if both parties are resorting to meleeing in a fucking shooter. That's why I was never fond of melee wars in Halo. If we want to play who can spam punches faster I'd go play something else.

I feel the melee combat in all Halo games has been fairly meh. You're basically trading one meh mechanic for another meh mechanic no matter which system you use.
It has been awkward, yeah, and I guess what I'm really getting at is that I want melee to return to what it was: a situational element that you used when you were already in its effective niche and needed a finisher. Instead it has mutated into a goal to work towards by rushing a guy, which I feel became the case with the Halo 3 AR rush because melee was so powerful (and then continued in Reach aided by things like Sprint and Evade). By reducing the melee's power pretty drastically, you return it to that niche status without having to rebalance a big chunk of the game. Maybe it won't work anymore within the sandbox, I don't know. It seems to work well in MLG and Anniversary, though.

It has been awkward, yeah, and I guess what I'm really getting at is that I want melee to return to what it was - a situational element that you used when you were already in its effective niche and needed a finisher, rather than a goal to work towards by rushing a guy, which I feel became the case with the Halo 3 AR rush because melee was so powerful (and then continued in Reach aided by things like Sprint and Evade). By reducing the melee's power pretty drastically, you return it to that niche status without having to rebalance a big chunk of the game. Maybe it won't work anymore within the sandbox, I don't know. It seems to work well in MLG and Anniversary, though.

No I totally agree, it should be a finishing move.

GhaleonEB

They could have salvaged it, but then they decided to do their cute little update where the TU pistol went from a 4SK to ALMOST popping your shields but does not. Why not just have it pop the damn shields? Makes no sense that 4 shots from a DMR tell you you're in trouble, but 4 shots from the pistol do not, but either situation kills you on the fifth shot from the weapon.

If they're going to be pulling that, then bleedthrough can just go take a hike.

It's the worst when you're taking damage from mixed sources and health isn't dropping in those predictable increments, I have the hardest time realizing I'm about to get domed. It really reinforces how much I've learned to rely on danger indicators to respond.

I'm still pretty upset at how something like melee bleedthrough was completely overlooked so all your shots effectively mean dick if you hit someone in vanilla.

85% on the DMR only would have been much better. I have no idea why they linked the DMR changes to the NR, the NR depends on 100% to feel right and falls apart in ZB and 85%. The DMR change would have also been better if it didn't make the crouch zero bloom. It should have been 85% standing OR crouching. I would have even accepted Zero Bloom if they implemented a RoF lock for it.
85% DMR AND Pistol, yeah I'll agree to that. And while it's generally assumed (mostly by you from what I've seen, I don't read other Halo boards) that the changes are linked, no one from 343 has actually come out and said that. Unless I missed something. Frankie or David also said in this thread the TU gametype settings are still being tweaked. I personally think that was bogus (prove me wrong fellas), but that's what they said. The NR gets a bit silly with 85% but it's not the super OP rifle you've made it out to be. And crouch zero bloom is fine, you're trading mobility for accuracy. To remove that would be removing depth.

Unrelated but editing a response to me 4 posts up from mine is weird. STOP DOING THIS PEOPLE.

Havok

I think part of the idea was to nerf sprint.
But it didn't. It did the opposite. With bleedthrough, you can get enough shots into someone to kill them in one melee while (assuming you have full shields) they have to use two. In vanilla, popping the shields on someone rushing you is difficult enough, especially with giant bloom, that I ended up just trading kills probably half the time someone tried it.

It doesn't nerf sprint it gives the asshole who sprints up and melee's the advantage over the person who actually uses their weapon.
But it didn't. It did the opposite. With bleedthrough, you can get enough shots into someone to kill them in one melee while (assuming you have full shields) they have to use two. In vanilla, popping the shields on someone rushing you is difficult enough, especially with giant bloom, that I ended up just trading kills probably half the time someone tried it.

Yeah, you guys are right. I didn't really think before posting that one. Removing bleed-through was just a bad idea.

FyreWulff

85% DMR AND Pistol, yeah I'll agree to that. And while it's generally assumed (mostly by you from what I've seen, I don't read other Halo boards) that the changes are linked, no one from 343 has actually come out and said that. Unless I missed something. Frankie or David also said in this thread the TU gametype settings are still being tweaked. I personally think that was bogus (prove me wrong fellas), but that's what they said. The NR get's a bit silly with 85% but it's not the super OP rifle you've made it out to be. And crouch zero bloom is fine, you're trading mobility for accuracy. To remove that would be removing depth.

Unrelated but editing a response to me 4 posts up from mine is weird. STOP DOING THIS PEOPLE.

I wish I would stop but NeoGAF pretty much browbeats you into it :( I don't like it either.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread (or a previous thread) that the changes are linked. All precision weapons adopt bloom changes at the same time, and only the pistol's RoF and damage can be changed on an individual level via the TU gametypes. They did not add the ability to change the DMR or NR's RoF.

haha

While I agree strong melees aren't the best I don't think they're as bad as you guys are making them out to be. That said, I'm all for weaker melees.

While we're on the subject of melee's the only confirmed item in MLG's new settings being released tomorrow is the raise of melee damage from 75% to 100%.

If you type melee 5 times you are a beat down noob.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread (or a previous thread) that the changes are linked. All precision weapons adopt bloom changes at the same time, and only the pistol's RoF and damage can be changed on an individual level via the TU gametypes. They did not add the ability to change the DMR or NR's RoF.
Must have missed that. What a shame. Still, I'll take the 85% DMR with the silly Needle Rifle over 100% any day. At least the Needle Rifle isn't ever a starting weapon in TU. Although I'd love to see how TU Invasion would play.

haha

While I agree strong melees aren't the best I don't think they're as bad as you guys are making them out to be. That said, I'm all for weaker melees.
Nah dude, they are that bad. AR+melee rush and sprint double melee are a product of having a stupidly powerful melee.

How about max movement speed coupled with evade for everyone and
aim-assist disabled

Well it'd be fun if it was in some sort of large arena map with 16 players , 2 flag instant return.

Need some FUN playlists since everything Reach has is just Haloooo. Which is fine but its nice to escape for a bit. Action Sack doesn't really offer that, at least for me.

FyreWulff

Must have missed that. What a shame. Still, I'll take the 85% DMR with the silly Needle Rifle over 100% any day. At least the Needle Rifle isn't ever a starting weapon in TU. Although I'd love to see how TU Invasion would play.

I think 343 has all but stopped short of confirming that Invasion won't ever get the TU. There's too many knock on effects: the Spartan vs Elite balance, bleedthrough health bug and how it effects Elites, camo nerf would make being the Elites in the first phase much more difficult, etc.

Bungie also stated at one point that Invasion is pushing Megalo to the limit, so one wonders if the TU Megalo commands would push Invasion past the script limits. When Bungie implemented a fix for rounds not ending properly in Invasion, Boneyard and Spire no longer have the announcer go "SKUNKED!" if you prevent the attackers from capturing the first round. Only Breakpoint (which came out after the fixes) does it now.

Havok

Well, this is a new one.

yQirj.png

Cookies/cache cleared, Passport logged out/in, etc.
This is on the Custom Challenges page. Halp.

Edit: now signing in doesn't work at all now that I've tried to sign out and in again.

The other day Homeboyd (?) mentioned creating an official HaloGAF score attack mode for Firefight. I really want to see it happen, and would be willing to put in the effort of putting the gametype together. What do you all think? What should it be like?

I mostly just want it to be fun. I prefer survival modes: unlimited sets, default number of lives, no infinite ammo crates, no radar. I'm playing around with a mode that's DMR + Pro Pipe + Evade starts, with a heavy sprinkling of Heretic Elites to replenish DMR ammo. Only a handful of grunts. Mostly Elites, Jackals, Brute Chieftans, and Hunters. And seriously, Evade makes Firefight so much more fun. Oh, and I have 110% movement speed and jump height.

I prefer playing on Installation 04. What do yall think? We should limit it to one map, right?

Would something like that work for an official HaloGAF score attack mode? Or would limited time / sets be better?
We tried to do it. Zayne and me. No one played. There is no hope. Firefight is dead in Reach.

Hey guys, Geoff Keighley tweeted this. So. A lot. Nothing specific about Halo 4 but I just want to see everyone gets hyped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom