• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
that reminds me of the "AR starts are balanced because you should have gotten the power weapons and BR's at the beginning of the game" argument. Sure good play and good teamwork should be rewarded, but the kills should not be handed to you just for knowing weapon timings.
They're not free kills. It can be really hard to use rockets against a good team in Halo. They know you have them, they know where you are and they know how many rockets you have left. Depending on the map it can be a little easier but damn sometimes it can be very hard. I consider myself to be very good with Rockets and sometimes I shoot 4 rockets and get no kills. They require good patience and good positioning more than anything else.

They're not free kills. It can be really hard to use rockets against a good team in Halo. They know you have them, they know where you are and they know how many rockets you have left. Depending on the map it can be a little easier but damn sometimes it can be very hard. I consider myself to be very good with Rockets and sometimes I shoot 4 rockets and get no kills. They require good patience and good positioning more than anything else.
compared to halo 3 rockets they are nukes though. And we shouldn't be counting MLG with better movement. In base Halo you absolutely cannot get away

Ramirez

lol, I always feel like Tashi and Risen compare everything to top tier teams and MLG, when 90% of the population is playing something completely different.

FyreWulff

Hm. I just realized that if the no evade on Spartans applies across MM, I wonder if it's gone from Speedpile in Action Sack as well. Might actually have to use the vehicles on Hemm now..

Tashi

compared to halo 3 rockets they are nukes though. And we shouldn't be counting MLG with better movement. In base Halo you absolutely cannot get away

Well base Halo is not good. I played a bunch last night. I had to make fun for myself. Finding new jumps on maps and shit lol. And I actually did find one on Powerhouse. Pretty useful too.

lol, I always feel like Tashi and Risen compare everything to top tier teams and MLG, when 90% of the population is playing something completely different.

I can't help it. You guys know I really only play MLG.

Tashi, actually, has admitted that he doesn't read posts that are longer than say, a paragraph long.

Was it a paragraph? I thought it was walls of text that I don't read. Maybe they're just your posts I don't read :p

Overdoziz

Banned
So. Once again, those who dislike the current rotation of Forge maps in Team Slayer.

2 split, 4v4/5v5, Supports slayer, CTF/Ball/Flag support huge bonus. Anyone from ForgeGAF going to step up to the plate?
I'm still working on getting clips of all gametypes for Refuge.

Well base Halo is not good. I played a bunch last night. I had to make fun for myself. Finding new jumps on maps and shit lol. And I actually did find one on Powerhouse. Pretty useful too.

I think we can all agree (well a lot of us anyway) that MLG settings are way more balanced and better than base settings, but I'd like base settings to be balanced so that's what I'm talking about. Power weapons on base settings are too powerful, in my opinion, and I think should be a little more difficult to use

Ramirez

Well, this is the point you guys are missing then. When someone if miffed about getting killed by a RL 20 feet away from them, it's not because it was Pistola on the other end. It was some guest who waltzed in with his AR, cleaned up someone who had just got done fighting, then shot a rocket towards the sky and got a triple.

Risen

I think we can all agree (well a lot of us anyway) that MLG settings are way more balanced and better than base settings, but I'd like base settings to be balanced so that's what I'm talking about. Power weapons on base settings are too powerful, in my opinion, and I think should be a little more difficult to use

Would you feel the same way about rockets if there were only two shots available and they spawned every 4 minutes and were placed in a completely centralized location that each team could get to at the same time off the initial spawn?

Yeah base settings shouldn't have to suck.

*Yearns for H1/H2*

Tashi

Well, this is the point you guys are missing then. When someone if miffed about getting killed by a RL 20 feet away from them, it's not because it was Pistola on the other end. It was some guest who waltzed in with his AR, cleaned up someone who had just got done fighting, then shot a rocket towards the sky and got a triple.

But if MLG can mold gametypes and settings around to have rockets balanced then why can't it happen for the standard playlists? I think it all goes back to Bungie being unable to customize gametype settings(spawns, weapon spawns, weapon timers, weapon locations) on a map by map basis. So I'm not sure if the weapon is overpowered or is just implemented incorrectly. Sounds like something I say a lot about stock Reach.

But if MLG can mold gametypes and settings around to have rockets balanced then why can't it happen for the standard playlists? I think it all goes back to Bungie being unable to customize gametype settings(spawns, weapon spawns, weapon timers, weapon locations) on a map by map basis. So I'm not sure if the weapon is overpowered or is just implemented incorrectly. Sounds like something I say a lot about stock Reach.

Stock Halo will never play like MLG, which is why weapon balance is so important out of the gates. Not everyone plays MLG and so not everyone can rely on MLG to fix the problems with the game.

Ideally, the game shouldn't need series rebalancing out of the box though.

Risen

But I'm not missing that at all, I just don't think that's A: a reason to adjust the power, or B: that reducing power on a power weapon in Reach truly balances them.

Keep in mind... I DO play pretty much everything. It may put me to sleep not being that competitive after awhile, but I play it.

So. Once again, those who dislike the current rotation of Forge maps in Team Slayer.

2 split, 4v4/5v5, Supports slayer, CTF/Ball/Flag support huge bonus. Anyone from ForgeGAF going to step up to the plate?

Hmm, I wonder if my Sword Base and Boardwalk variants would work. They're really intended for CTF balancing, but benefit Slayer as well...

I'll dust 'em off tonight or tomorrow and send you a link.

Tashi

Stock Halo will never play like MLG, which is why weapon balance is so important out of the gates. Not everyone plays MLG and so not everyone can rely on MLG to fix the problems with the game.

I agree! But I'm not gonna sit there and play shitty maps and gametypes when there are far superior ones available to me.

Homeboyd

Less is more... the more that is placed in a game, the harder it is to balance.
I agree, but honestly, do you think a game as simple as CE would do well these days in terms of the general populous?

Sure, you and I would love it (as would most of HaloGaf). It would be the back-to-the-roots Halo game that brought us all together to begin with. Splash on some new graphics, add a couple new gametypes here and there and be done with it.

I don't think the rest of the world of young kids out there who have come to expect huge marketing campaigns, 40 different game modes, 8 billions pieces of customizable armor/weapons/etc.., huge single-player components, and all the extra bells and whistles that they justify the reason they're (their parents) dropping $60 on a game would be over-thrilled.

I don't want it to sound like I'm speaking on their behalf because I am on their side. I'm not. But I understand it. It's easier to sell a game when you can throw a book of "new features, tons of maps, 40 hour campaigns, customization to the moon, etc" at the consumer.

I agree! But I'm not gonna sit there and play shitty maps and gametypes when there are far superior ones available to me.
I would only play MLG, but I'm just plain not good enough to go in alone and do well and so I don't. The settings are great, but I really have to have a good group around me to enjoy them.

CyReN

Try balancing a game around Evade, Jetpack, Armor Lock, Drop Shield, Sprint and Active Camo.

I can't be the only one that thought of this reading that

3Ghb9.gif

At this point I don't give a fuck what happens in Reach.

Bring on 4.
Those couple of matches were that good, eh?

This isn't directed at you, Devo, but more in general:
This time around I'm going to hold off impressions and criticisms until well after the game's release. I remember liking most of Reach's changes at first and being okay with them, but that was mostly hype and me not giving myself enough time with the game. I dislike most of what Reach introduced and what to see none of it return (save the pro-pipe, BOOM! Ball, weapon feedback, etc).

I remember finishing Reach's campaign and declaring it the best out of all the games. Now I struggle deciding which is the worst Halo campaign: Reach or Halo 2.

I'm definitely going to be more careful in my evaluation of Halo 4, given my experience with Reach.

FyreWulff

inb4 overanalysis of Devo's post

:p

It's pretty much always been Microsoft's attitude towards their current Halo once the next one is a few months away. Nothing new. In about 2 months, the newsposts and vidocs that bury (to borrow a wrestling term) the previous title should start showing up. Always happens, nobody ever catches on. 4 will come out, the keys to Reach MM will be lost, rinse and repeat in 2 years for Halo 5. And each time a new Halo game comes out MS gets worse and worse at getting caught looking ahead to their next game.

Risen

I agree, but honestly, do you think a game as simple as CE would do well these days in terms of the general populous?

Sure, you and I would love it (as would most of HaloGaf). It would be the back-to-the-roots Halo game that brought us all together to begin with. Splash on some new graphics, add a couple new gametypes here and there and be done with it.

I don't think the rest of the world of young kids out there who have come to expect huge marketing campaigns, 40 different game modes, 8 billions pieces of customizable armor/weapons/etc.., huge single-player components, and all the extra bells and whistles that they justify the reason they're (their parents) dropping $60 on a game would be over-thrilled.

I don't want it to sound like I'm speaking on their behalf because I am on their side. I'm not. But I understand it. It's easier to sell a game when you can throw a book of "new features, tons of maps, 40 hour campaigns, customization to the moon, etc" at the consumer.

I think there is plenty of room for innovation, evolution, customization, the sales that go with it - and still have a balanced offering available in multiplayer.

Tashi

I don't want a reskinned Halo 1 with new gametypes. Fuck that.

I don't think we're on the same page here. By simpler, we're just talking about the multiplayer components. It's easier to balance things when there are few variables. I still want all the bells and whistles and features and shit lol

It's pretty much always been Microsoft's attitude towards their current Halo once the next one is a few months away. Nothing new. In about 2 months, the newsposts and vidocs that bury (to borrow a wrestling term) the previous title should start showing up. Always happens, nobody ever catches on. 4 will come out, the keys to Reach MM will be lost, rinse and repeat in 2 years for Halo 5. And each time a new Halo game comes out MS gets worse and worse at getting caught looking ahead to their next game.

01SVC.gif

Homeboyd

I think there is plenty of room for innovation, evolution, customization, the sales that go with it - and still have a balanced offering available in multiplayer.
I agree, but to your point earlier, it does make it a lot more difficult.

I don't want a reskinned Halo 1 with new gametypes. Fuck that.

I don't think we're on the same page here. By simpler, we're just talking about the multiplayer components. It's easier to balance things when there are few variables. I still want all the bells and whistles and features and shit lol
But then you're expecting that all the new gameplay altering features that are available in campaign and in other *new* modes, be excluded from MM. That's where I'm saying I would agree with the more competitive types (you 2), but that the casual players (the vast majority) would disagree even to their own demise.

MLG needs to go ranked.

I'm tired of going in playing and not knowing whether I actually played good, or I just played a bunch of scrubs.

H3 I would have my 42-45 in MLG and I'd be playing kids equal to me in MLG and every now and then when there were no quitters having decent matches against equally skilled opponents.

In Reach I have 175 games played I've won 62% and I'm still getting matched against scrubs and or near pros where I don't stand a chance, the middle ground isn't there, and I have no idea where middle ground is because I have nothing. Just a bunch of bullshit.

That turns me off of MLG in Reach.

CyReN

MLG needs to go ranked.

I'm tired of going in playing and not knowing whether I actually played good, or I just played a bunch of scrubs.

H3 I would have my 42-45 in MLG and I'd be playing kids equal to me in MLG and every now and then when there were no quitters having decent matches against equally skilled opponents.

In Reach I have 175 games played I've won 62% and I'm still getting matched against scrubs and or near pros where I don't stand a chance, the middle ground isn't there, and I have no idea where middle ground is because I have nothing. Just a bunch of bullshit.

That turns me off of MLG in Reach.

They could add arena ranks but it wouldn't do much, the best thing anyone playing MLG can do is play custom with friends or keep playing MM. This will probably be the last Reach event until Halo 4 comes out, so there is really no merit to do anything besides update to v7.

343i can't add ranks either, so Halo 4 w/ ranks or bust.

FyreWulff

mfw when 343 could have easily told us to go fuck ourselves when they took over the Reach mantle and done literally nothing in regards to multiplayer and our complaints.

mfw when I was talking about Microsoft's support of a game and not 343's. I'm aware we can't really tell where MS ends and 343 begins, but Microsoft, as a publisher, has skimped and stopped backing support once the next game comes around the corner. They're the ones that write the checks. As it is, cutting the API and render support when both of them already had all the work done just reeks of cutting corners as much as they can until the new game comes out and people move on.

Have we got a solid explanation as to why it's being removed? I really don't understand the idea that you can't appeal to people like us and the people who will just eat whatever shit up. Throw down some primo chow so we all get a bite, but when we notice it's dogshit we're just going to turn our backs while the same people who eat shit, will eat shit.

Probably due to the playlist cap. That was the reasoning behind Firefight Limited being deleted, anyway. They're deleting two (Anniv Squad and Squad Slayer) and adding one, and they mentioned the beta list was going to be coming back, so that pretty much lines up with the 26-list cap holding true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom