• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

PAX East bros.

We're going to Mike's Pastries. At least once. So good.

Going out to dinner might be a bit expensive. If you still want to go I recommend Cheesecake Factory, maybe 5 Napkin, both of which are in the Prudential Center, which is further away from the convention center...
but closer to me

If you want to get fancier, Hot Pot in China Town is good and pretty cheap also. Fire/Ice is good also.

Risen

the power weapons are OP as hell in Reach

Power weapons should be powerful...

One of the things I think Reach got right is the power of the "power weapons". They should be balanced by placement, number of power weapons on a given map, ammo capacity, and frequency of spawn.

That's where things break down for me in Reach. There are maps with WAY too many power weapons that respawn WAY too frequently in poor locations.

Ramirez

Can I ask you guys a question, I don't want to ask it in the AC thread for fear of getting bant.

Why is not ok to post scans of the pics, but it is ok to post a 2 page summary of every single bit of info out the mag? lol, makes no sense to me, are people really gonna go pick the mag up for 10 pics when they know everything the article says?

Power weapons should be powerful, but come on man, the rockets don't even have to hit near a guy to kill him, and the sniper is retard proof compared to the one in 3. The Nade Launcher is how a power weapon should be done, powerful in the right hands, but not so easy that anyone can pick it up and dominate with it like rocks/snipe.

oh god what is this how do I get back to the readable forums
I wouldn't say there's anything readable about them

Power weapons should be powerful...

One of the things I think Reach got right is the power of the "power weapons". They should be balanced by placement, number of power weapons on a given map, ammo capacity, and frequency of spawn.

That's where things break down for me in Reach. There are maps with WAY too many power weapons that respawn WAY too frequently in poor locations.
Yeah, but they almost made it too easy in Reach. The rockets' explosion radius is huge and the sniper almost seems to headshot for you sometimes

Yea, in name only.

Bob made a good point, the power weapons are OP as hell in Reach, that's not really what people are talking about when they say they feel underpowered compared to older Halo titles.
You mean compared to CE.

Although bloom does dampen individual effectiveness in multi-kills compared to the primary rifles from 2 and 3, at least at range.

Homeboyd

Can I ask you guys a question, I don't want to ask it in the AC thread for fear of getting bant.

Why is not ok to post scans of the pics, but it is ok to post a 2 page summary of every single bit of info out the mag? lol, makes no sense to me, are people really gonna go pick the mag up for 10 pics when they know everything the article says?
Good question. Same as us copy/pasting text from the Waypoint bulletins except it's not as big of an issue because people aren't paying to read the bulletins. Still, lifting info and taking away from site hits. Although Waypoint does like to fight you on its own from letting you read it to begin with.

I never could figure out why we could copy/paste info from magazines and discuss the images, but as soon as a 'scan' pops up, banadu.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Power weapons should be powerful, but come on man, the rockets don't even have to hit near a guy to kill him, and the sniper is retard proof compared to the one in 3. The Nade Launcher is how a power weapon should be done, powerful in the right hands, but not so easy that anyone can pick it up and dominate with it like rocks/snipe.

I think the scan ban had to do with a foreign magazine complaining to the admins so they decided on a full global scan ban from then onwards.

I agree though, banning scans whilst copying and re-writing out the majority of the information from an article does seem silly.

Ramirez

You mean compared to CE.

Although bloom does dampen individual effectiveness in multi-kills compared to the primary rifles from 2 and 3, at least at range.

Which is why you telling people to watch Tashi's montage is dumb, because in MLG there is no bloom, and I assume it's retaining bleed through. Add bloom and no bleed through and you're right back to the ole Reach formula of being completely screwed when out numbered or finishing a fight.

I wouldn't say there's anything readable about them

Yeah, but they almost made it too easy in Reach. The rockets' explosion radius is huge and the sniper almost seems to headshot for you sometimes

Agreed, fighting for power weapons should earn you an advantage, not an easy kill button. Makes the gameplay a lot more interesting when the power weapons require some level of skill to use.

Risen

Agreed on the Grenade Launcher... it is extremely well balanced, and is my favorite addition to the Halo sandbox.

Take the rockets as they are and only allow two rather than four, place in a centralized location on a longer spawn time, and they are balanced perfectly.

The same with snipe... reduce the ammo and place in the correct location on much longer timers...

Now you have power weapons that don't overshadow the game play as a whole, but are still power weapons over which to fight.

Ramirez

Agreed on the Grenade Launcher... it is extremely well balanced, and is my favorite addition to the Halo sandbox.

Take the rockets as they are and only allow two rather than four, place in a centralized location on a longer spawn time, and they are balanced perfectly.

The same with snipe... reduce the ammo and place in the correct location on much longer timers...

Now you have power weapons that don't overshadow the game play as a whole.

You and I both know that reducing ammo and increasing spawn times is something that will never happen in the regular version of the game though. :p

ex: Swordbase/Countdown retaining 2 OP CQB weapons years after launch, plus the beta!

The Nade Launcher is how a power weapon should be done, powerful in the right hands, but not so easy that anyone can pick it up and dominate with it like rocks/snipe.
That's because it is heavily affected by adverse network conditions. It feels like the dead-man's trigger is host-authoritative.

FyreWulff

Yes and times have changed. I really hope DBO uses some newer forum software.

Oh yeah, I hope it uses more modern forum software. But trying to use the options on WebBBS to make it act like UBB pretty much mangles it.

Also I took a look at the copyright. I imagine Wu's done some custom updates, but holy shit @ (C)2006. The forum's main code is ancient in internet years :p

Risen

You and I both know that reducing ammo and increasing spawn times is something that will never happen in the regular version of the game though. :p

ex: Swordbase/Countdown retaining 2 OP CQB weapons years after launch, plus the beta!

Tru dat... but I still think that is the way to balance them. Make them powerful and moderate how/when/where they are applied. This provides that advantage without making them an auto win for gaining control.

Exactly on Swordbase... Countdown... heck Battle Canyon... Boardwalk (2 snipes AND rockets with lots of ammo)... Reflection (snipe, rockets, shotgun, sword)...

and so on.

Zoolader

It's still Halo: Reach.

Hopefully, 343 Industries' experience with the TU has encouraged them to continue making future iterations of Halo versatile games that can cater to a wide variety of styles and interests.

On the Reach wishlist back before it launched, I wanted preset game settings for each of the past Halo games. Each preset would play just like previous Halo games. Like instead of trying to match the jump height, player speed, health, shields, fall damage, grenade damage... etc. etc. etc... It would all be a click away, instead of trying to mimic those setting by increments of 10% or 25%, which never come close to the real thing. It would have been a fail safe in case Reach was a disappointment.... Well I can only hope this type of feature finds its way to Halo 4.

If we can't get that it would be great if we had more control over those settings, increment percentages of 1 instead of 5's. Also more options such as fall damage, player inertia, grenade damage, bleedthrough, melee lunge, regenerating health w/ no shields option. I can always dream.

Risen

swordbase stands as one of the worst multiplayer maps I've ever seen. I have no idea how it made it out of that beta

I'll see your Swordbase and raise you The Cage. I can still remember seeing the first reveal and fly through with the commentary and going "you can't be serious, this is a terrrrrrible idea".

Tunavi

Banned
I'll see your Swordbase and raise you The Cage. I can still remember seeing the first reveal and fly through with the commentary and going "you can't be serious, this is a terrrrrrible idea".
The Cage is the worst on disc Halo map ever.

FyreWulff

So. Once again, those who dislike the current rotation of Forge maps in Team Slayer.

2 split, 4v4/5v5, Supports slayer, CTF/Ball/Flag support huge bonus. Anyone from ForgeGAF going to step up to the plate?

feel

I disagree with the notion that people should be handed super easy kills just because they stumbled upon a power weapon. Entering a room, seeing an enemy with a rocket launcher looking at you and just immediately knowing that there's no way you'll survive is just the type of awful unsatisfying feeling Halo should move away from.

For me they got it right with the Halo 3 sniper and rockets, and the Reach grenade launcher (retail version). They're high threats but if the enemy is not at least decent with them I have a chance.

Ramirez

I disagree with the notion that people should be handed super easy kills just because they stumbled upon a power weapon. Entering a room, seeing an enemy with a rocket launcher looking at you and just immediately knowing that there's no way you'll survive is just the type of awful unsatisfying feeling Halo should move away from.

For me they got it right with the Halo 3 sniper and rockets, and the Reach grenade launcher (retail version). They're high threats but if the enemy is not at least decent with them I have a chance.

Get your logical thinking out of here.

I agree with this

Risen

Lol but people don't just "stumble across them" - good players time them, know when and where they spawn and how to control that with their team. There's no random element at all. What you are saying is you want a chance when you "stumble across" someone that has them.

You want power weapons that you "have a chance" in killing them rather than them killing you... you always have that chance. It's incumbent upon you as the player to be smart, aware, and skillful in countering it, or controlling it yourself. The function of a power weapon in Halo is not to "have a chance" against them - it's to provide a powerful weapon over which to fight for control. Once secured, it's an advantage for the length of time you can employ them.

If they are too easy to counter, they are not performing the role in which a power weapon is intended. They aren't a power weapon at all. H3 power weapons worked fine - I'm not suggesting otherwise. But that's an amalgamation of map design, weapon design, and player characteristics that worked together to make it so, and fit what I'm talking about.

kylej

Banned

_-SOCOM-US-Navy-SEALs-FireTeam-Bravo-PSP-_.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Lol but people don't just "stumble across them" - good players time them, know when and where they spawn and how to control that with their team. There's no random element at all. What you are saying is you want a chance when you "stumble across" someone that has them.

You want power weapons that you "have a chance" in killing them rather than them killing you... you always have that chance. It's incumbent upon you as the player to be smart, aware, and skillful in countering it, or controlling it yourself. The function of a power weapon in Halo is not to "have a chance" against them - it's to provide a powerful weapon over which to fight for control. Once secured, it's an advantage for the length of time you can employ them.

If they are too easy to counter, they are not performing the role in which a power weapon is intended. They aren't a power weapon at all. H3 power weapons worked fine - I'm not suggesting otherwise. But that's an amalgamation of map design, weapon design, and player characteristics that worked together to make it so, and fit what I'm talking about.
10/10

Re-listening to the podcast, they mention take-home builds, which could be a good sign for those hoping for a beta. I wonder if news on a public beta will be part of the media drop on Monday.

This is the logic I agree with. I get what your saying Risen, but I disagree with it. Sure it makes sense that the team that gets the power weapon should have the advantage, but not to the point where it turns into rock paper scissors for them when they do have the power weapon.

feel

I definitely don't think you're wrong Risen, I see where you're coming from, I think it's just a matter of you wanting something different from this particular aspect of the game than me.

I wouldn't worry too much about that guy's input, a newcomer to Halo developing won't get that much power over gameplay decision making, plus we have Frank "one of the greatest fps games of all times" O'Connor, David "CEA mp pistol behavior carbon copy of CE pistol" Ellis and Chad "AR starts on Standoff" Armstrong there to make sure nothing goes wrong. :)

that reminds me of the "AR starts are balanced because you should have gotten the power weapons and BR's at the beginning of the game" argument. Sure good play and good teamwork should be rewarded, but the kills should not be handed to you just for knowing weapon timings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom