• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Shadders

A couple of questions since Twitter's settings aren't organized in any logical way: Is there a way to block a user without going to their profile? Is there a way to only see tweets of the people you follow?

I put a magazine over the bottom half of the screen covering their Tweet history. You then click the button which has an icon of a person's head and a down arrow, you can block in one click from there. Then quickly close the tab and breathe a sigh of relief. :D

nuOfT.png

;_;
NkXph.gif

Kuroyume

Banned
They're not going to discuss ranks until the marketing team gives them the O.K. That, or until you get the game in your hands and find out for yourself that there aren't any ranks.

Popping in here real quick:

What's the issue with skill ranks? Are we unsure if they are in the game, or do we know that they're in the game but we don't know what system is being used?

If it's the former issue, Waypoint community moderator @misplacedyank told me that it was confirmed that both systems are in the game. Probably non-news for a lot of you, but for those like myself who only browse HaloGAF sporadically and believed otherwise, it might offer some clarification. Of course, she could be misinformed. Grains of salt and such.

Shadders

They're not going to discuss ranks until the marketing team gives them the O.K. That, or until you get the game in your hands and find out for yourself that there aren't any ranks.

There are a few reasons for them not to discuss ranks:

a) There are no ranks.

b) They know the system they've implemented will be unpopular.

c) They are so amazingly awesome they're saving them for a massive reveal.

What's the issue with skill ranks? Are we unsure if they are in the game, or do we know that they're in the game but we don't know what system is being used?

If the former (which is the camp I was in), Waypoint community moderator @misplacedyank told me that it was confirmed that both systems are in the game. Probably non-news for a lot of you, but for those like myself who only browse HaloGAF sporadically and believed otherwise, it might offer some clarification. Of course, she could be misinformed. Grains of salt and such.

Nope - thats pretty much news to this place - although im wary and say take it with a pinch of salt, it could mean anything including just to trueskill behind the scenes which is a given.

L1NETT

From what I know, we haven't been told they are out but we have been told so little (odd rumours here and there) that at this stage it is arguable that we can assume they are out.

OR (more likely) like everything else they haven't talked about in great detail (Theatre) it is more or less a reskin of Reach. The cynic in me would believe they leave it so late to talk about (more or less near launch) so the negative feedback gets buried in pre release hype. But you would have to be quite a bad person to believe that! ;-)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

a) There are no ranks.

It's better to get bad news out of the way fast instead of misleading your way into launch, disappointing many and adding a lot of negative rage towards the next game

Reach multiplayer was so boring and half the reason was no proper ranks. No incentive. Arena was shit.

Having a nice long chat with zoojoo about the meaning of life and how he should think about coming back here even though he's reluctant to. Guis, he's gewd. He. Is. Ready.

Will you accept him, HaloGAF?

image.php

He is not coming back.

I do not understand why 343 would leave ranks out nor do I understand why they won't talk about them.

a) There are no ranks.

A+B+C=D

There will be ranks, not visible to us. So it will be unpopular, but the invisible skill ranking system will make sure you are matched perfectly during gameplay? Though I think we already had this lol

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
3/4 of my games in the Arena (solely because of ranked leagues) or Doubles. I knew I was becoming more of a fringe player, but maaaaaaaan. I'm going to be lost at launch, regardless of how good the game looks.

*sigh* Why is it that people that actually make it into the panels never end up asking the good questions.

a) There are no ranks.

I hope C, but I am slowly starting to doubt it. Why can't we have ranks back; It makes the competitive happy because we play with people we should be playing against, and it makes the casual happy because they dont have to get dominated every game.

L1NETT

I hope C, but I am slowly starting to doubt it.

If their ranking system was so awesome, why wouldn't they release news about early in the cycle?

If I was on marketing (or whichever fabled team chooses to release info) I wouldn't release info about the amazing ranking system now when the launch trailer/FUD is happening.

So it makes me think it is an Arena crtl c + v.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Going out on a limb here:

There isn't a ranking system. You'd figure they'd say something by now.

You mean like "we aren't prepared to talk about that now, details closer to launch"?

When specifically asked about a skill based ranking system?

Why has 343 made rank such a big issue? Rank shouldn't be an issue at all, either it is in or it is not. Why we have to wait until close to release. I feel like they feel as though they are going to lose sales if word gets out that there is no rank. They will but if they feel like that then they should have put it in then.

All they are doing is making people impatient and angry. This toying with our emotions is not cool at all. I rather know sooner than later so I don't get my hopes up. It doesn't help that they making us think there is a rank. Even if there ends up being a rank it shouldn't be held as some big deal because Halo should have ranks.

I don't like their approach on this issue that should be standard.

Woorloog

Banned
+ Infinity Slayer (Halo of Duty)
+ Infinity Big Team (Chaotic Halo of Duty)
+ Dominion (Invasion failed, this will work)
+ Regecide (It's like FFA, but with more crazy)
+ Capture the Flag (now with less confusion)
+ Oddball (aka Team Handball)
+ King of the Hill
+ Team Slayer Pro
If this list will be kept for launch, great, finally proper playlists where i get to play what i want.
Though i wonder if BTB has Objective modes mixed in. Hopefully it does have. As long as they limit those to Dominion and CTF.

The only thing i don't like with this is there is no FFA Slayer. Or how much does Regicide differ from normal Slayer, does the King have any special stuff like in Juggernaut?

Don't care there is no standard Slayer (not to mention Infinity Slayer seems to be the new standard), no point to have two nearly identical playlists (Slayer Pro is different enough to warrant its own list, especially when there is no SWAT (won't miss it) or Snipers (might miss it) or MLG/Team Hardcore.

Korosenai

So theater is 1 player only AND no team doubles?

And I am really not liking the way they are handling these new playlists. So I can't even play btb unless its infinity slayer? And no objective? So dumb.

Also in the bravo video, I noticed how Kevin referred to infinity slayer as "competitive". Lol

Caja 117

It's better to get bad news out of the way fast instead of misleading your way into launch, disappointing many and adding a lot of negative rage towards the next game

Reach multiplayer was so boring and half the reason was no proper ranks. No incentive. Arena was shit.

The total absence of information about ranks is actually good news for us (or those who like ranked playlist), it makes no sense that 343 is avoiding to talk about something that isn't in the game.

Blissful

Neo Member
Why has 343 made rank such a big issue? Rank shouldn't be an issue at all, either it is in or it is not. Why we have to wait until close to release. I feel like they feel as though they are going to lose sales if word gets out that there is no rank. They will but if they feel like that then they should have put it in then.

All they are doing is making people impatient and angry. This toying with our emotions is not cool at all. I rather know sooner than later so I don't get my hopes up. It doesn't help that they making us think there is a rank. Even if there ends up being a rank it shouldn't be held as some big deal because Halo should have ranks.

I don't like their approach on this issue that should be standard.

I know right :\. It's like the community who care about ranks are being constantly ignored, while griftball and zombie players are getting all this new cool stuff with a lot of footage describing the features.

So there is no Falcon or Hornet! :(

Or Chopper, but that one was iffy... those not being in make no fucking sense. RIP warthog of skies, small flying thing and melee vehicle of doom and awesome cannons.

Going out on a limb here:

There isn't a ranking system. You'd figure they'd say something by now.

They have implied there is.. If there isn't then they should have said it a long time ago and not left the community hanging.

So theater is 1 player only AND no team doubles?

And I am really not liking the way they are handling these new playlists. So I can't even play btb unless its infinity slayer? And no objective? So dumb.

Also in the bravo video, I noticed how Kevin referred to infinity slayer as "competitive". Lol

At least Doubles can easily be added. But yeah, the exclusion of it is really unfortunate.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
At least Doubles can easily be added. But yeah, the exclusion of it is really unfortunate.

Dubshub.com is available

Seriously though, less-lag, better quality games, and less need for a bigger population. It didn't make sense when Doubles Arena was axed and this doesn't make sense either.

I know right :\. It's like the community who care about ranks are being constantly ignored, while griftball and zombie players are getting all this new cool stuff with a lot of footage describing the features.

Since there doesn't seem to be a social playlist I will just accept there is no ranks. They should have just went the Halo3 route in terms of playlists. A social to practice and rank to compete.

Top Bottom