• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

mhi

Yep, def no visible ranks. Wouldn't be surprised if most of the playlists allow guest play. Save for maybe SPro.

Blueblur1

Although if they are feeling happy enough to show them now, chances are they are close to final

I posted that in response to the lack of a SWAT hopper. I'm sure they may tweak and add playlists anytime between now and launch. They hoppers will probably be solidified the day before launch.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Yep, def no visible ranks. Wouldn't be surprised if most of the playlists allow guest play. Save for maybe SPro.

Guests allowed on playlists was so terrible from h3 onwards

That's another reason the way halo 2 handled everything was quite a bit better than every game since

I want everyone's full attention

And I want everyone to have something they can lose

Incentive is what drives competitive multiplayer

Just because its mechanics are competitive doesn't make it so. Just like chess.

MrDaravon

^Agreed. I worked hard in Halo 3 to get my rank up in a couple of playlists. Even if on the backend the visible rank is not making any difference in who I am actually playing, it allowed for the perception of player skill improving. Without anything visible to work for, there's a very real sense of what's the point? Or at the very least they could do the Halo 3 thing where wins in a playlist go towards a rank in that playlist; it wouldn't necessarily indicate a skill level, but it would at least give you something to work for, and to show off how much you've played in that playlist. CoD works in that regard because while what Prestige someone is on is literally no indication of skill (I once saw a 10th Prestige who had a .12 K/D) it at least is something to work towards, and shows other people that hey, I've played this a lot.

Those playlists probably aren't final.

If that's true then like I mentioned before they need to clarify that now. They're just allowing disappointment to spread as more time passes. I also don't buy that there's a ranking system, there's no reason they wouldn't have talked about it by now. Or if it's there it's one of those "check out your rank on Waypoint" kind of things which no one gives a shit about.

MrDaravon

Why should they clarify content that only people with stolen copies can see?

Because it's the final retail copy as exists right now, and if that's not what it's going to actually be day one (ie if they're doing a day one patch) they should nip it in the bud now. Every forum I go to is people spreading gloom and doom about these playlists. Even if they don't go into specifics, if there is going to be a day one patch they can just come out and say that there will be a day one patch that will make some changes to any information going around. Stems the tide of negative sentiment and gives people hope that what they want will be in.

Guests allowed on playlists was so terrible from h3 onwards

That's another reason the way halo 2 handled everything was quite a bit better than every game since

I want everyone's full attention

And I want everyone to have something they can lose

Incentive is what drives competitive multiplayer

Just because its mechanics are competitive doesn't make it so. Just like chess.

but that might hurt someone's feelings if they work hard to get to level 12 and level down to level 11

MrDaravon

but that might hurt someone's feelings if they work hard to get to level 12 and level down to level 11

Then only have that in "ranked" playlists, and have playlist-specific ranks in the other playlists that only go up (via EXP from wins) just like Halo 3. Everyone wins.

I wish Bungie 343 realized this type of ranking system is what separated them from everybody else. I had to care about my rank. I would play better. I would have more clutch and intense moments.

Ken

I wish Bungie 343 realized this type of ranking system is what separated them from everybody else. I had to care about my rank. I would play better. I would have more clutch and intense moments.

Give Halo 4 LoL's ELO rating system and watch the salt and trolling levels skyrocket.

As far as I know, no. However, this game would be a prime target for such a thing. Maybe down the road?

I hope so. I love me some cosmetics.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Then only have that in "ranked" playlists, and have playlist-specific ranks in the other playlists that only go up (via EXP from wins) just like Halo 3. Everyone wins.

Or you ghost every playlist

When selecting a playlist you select casual or competitive

When matchmaking it attempts to find someone of "equal" rank. If no casual players found it finds competitive players from a lower rank but hides the ranks from that players view

You don't see the ranks of the people you are facing, only your own team... (Or see an averaged rank)

When you select casual or competitive... Your team can only consist of whatever you chose

When you play competitive... You are matched against your skill level. When choosing casual... You are matched against people who are your skill in casual or competitive (whichever is highest of the two)

When you have guests... Every player matched is casual

Yadda yadda

MrDaravon

Or you ghost every playlist

When selecting a playlist you select casual or competitive

When matchmaking it attempts to find someone of "equal" rank. If no casual players found it finds competitive players from a lower rank but hides the ranks from that players view

You don't see the ranks of the people you are facing, only your own team... (Or see an averaged rank)

When you select casual or competitive... Your team can only consist of whatever you chose

When you play competitive... You are matched against your skill level. When choosing casual... You are matched against people who are your skill in casual or competitive (whichever is highest of the two)

When you have guests... Every player matched is casual

Yadda yadda

STOP MAKING SENSE

There were no questions

Probably didn't want to answer anything on ranks or the leak

Um, no. There was no time for a Q&A. By time it was 4:45 Alison was asked to wrap it up because the hall had to be filled for the next panel.

Microphones were set up for it, but they rand out of time. :(

Top Bottom