• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

He acted rebellious to Vickers, who is a tool. I agree he made some stupid decisions, like running off on his own, but he felt he had a better plan. He is the only one questioning why the enemy is the enemy. He knows many of them are just farmers and civilians standing up for themselves and believes they may deserve a chance. He wanted to catch the enemy and have them surrender and not kill them outright, yes its a training exercise but those tactics and traits will carry over. Colonel Mehaffey sees this and seems to be trying to encourage and push him in the right direction.

Its not perfect, but its working for me at least.

The series has impressed me so far as well, it was just something that stuck out to me when I was watching.

ASOIAF has a ton of sex and nudity, but it's different when you read about it in a book medium, as opposed to seeing and hearing stuff in a TV medium, where it really sticks out. Yeah you see some stuff like brothel scenes that largely aren't in the books, but much of the sex and nudity is pulled straight from the books. GRRM uses it to develop characters and to immerse the audience in a realistic world, same thing on the show.

For the complainers, there was also a large chunk of season 2 that had no sex or nudity in it.

/end of topic as shit post

Beckx

What are you talking about? There are sex scenes in ASOIAF, but most of them could be removed and nothing would be lost from the story or plot, aside from certain character relationships. They're just kinda there, and rarely at that. From what I hear the show has sex in spades, and I sometimes wonder where the producers are drawing all this material from.

Indeed. The series has far more sex and nudity than the books.

I don't have problem with sex or sexuality if it is related to plot. The thing is, 99% it is irrelevant, filler, slowing down the book/series for no reason.

A good thing about military SF (i don't actually like this genre really) like Halo is that sex is rare or non-existent in those often. Though Contact Harvest comes to my mind...

I think you guys misread my post - as I said, if you take sex out of the show, then it's not going to be like the books. I didn't say "all sex in the show is in the books," which is what you seem to be arguing about.

There's graphic sex in the books. More graphic than the show, in many respects, such as Danaerys' wedding night (and
I really cringe to think about what they're going to do about Jamie's and Cersei's re-uniting in book IV
).

But - to tie this to Halo - the thing is, in the books it's always got a disturbing, uncomfortable edge to it. Part of the fabric of who these people are and what their world is like (which is why, Jack, I don't think you can just cut those pages from the book and not do violence to the story).

If you have a Halo movie and it's got sex scenes in it, it needs to be there for a reason, it needs to add something to the characters and the stories. I remember all the 80s action movies, which all included a random encounter with a topless woman for no reason at all. That's what you don't want.

Greatest gif of all time, ever.

Nothing says business time like a team of technicians.

Bahahaha.

willow ve

If you have a Halo movie and it's got sex scenes in it, it needs to be there for a reason, it needs to add something to the characters and the stories. I remember all the 80s action movies, which all included a random encounter with a topless woman for no reason at all. That's what you don't want.

So canon nerds - how long does it take a Spartan to completely remove all armor pieces? It seems like from what I can gather it takes a long time and a team of technicians. Nothing says business time like a team of technicians.

Why?

So you rank up a bit faster. Of course it is nice when Halo 4 stuff requires unlocking but if the system is anything like COD's, the level up process will be very fast even without DXP.

Therein lies your problem. That's one scenario. What if it's like Reach? Then what? Wouldn't it be better to have the Dexp then?

Karl2177

Oh shit.

ibr924alSaLxMu.gif

hahahahahahahahaha This is great.

So canon nerds - how long does it take a Spartan to completely remove all armor pieces? It seems like from what I can gather it takes a long time and a team of technicians. Nothing says business time like a team of technicians.

The very first time the Spartans received MJOLNIR, it took 15 minutes and a team of techs to suit them up. I assume it would be something similar for suit removal.

Easy solution. Have a Marine platoon get lost on the new map Abandon and since they have no hope of being rescued, they decide to get high and have sex. In the meantime, the Didact's mom tries killing them because 20 years ago, Didact drowned in the nearby lake because the camp counselors Sentinels didn't hear him. A lone female marine manages to behead Didact's mom, prompting Didact to go on a murderous rampage, killing any teenagers that enter Abandon.

As long as you can get the codpiece off a lot of options up. I'd think you'd have to be a lady spartan to get donged on by a dude spartan or risk getting your pelvis caged in like slamming a boulder into a car door though.

Woorloog

Banned
Therein lies your problem. That's one scenario. What if it's like Reach? Then what? Wouldn't it be better to have the Dexp then?

If it is like Reach, i'll say fuck it and play something else. Such slow thing would be unacceptable.
Even double XP wouldn't save Reach slow system.

Inded, a big problem about Reach's system was its slowness, along with arbitary daily caps.

I'm kinda expecting Halo 4's system to be somewhat slower than COD's but not so slow as to make DXP necessary to make it enjoyable.

Oh and this double XP stuff ain't available in Finland.

The very first time the Spartans received MJOLNIR, it took 15 minutes and a team of techs to suit them up. I assume it would be something similar for suit removal.

What about solo? Well, with just one other person.

willow ve

As long as you can get the codpiece off a lot of options up. I'd think you'd have to be a lady spartan to get donged on by a dude spartan or risk getting your pelvis caged in like slamming a boulder into a car door though.

The old "can Superman have sex?" debate...

----

Philosophically/psychologically speaking would a Spartan ever partake in any activity that separates them from their armor and their AI? It seems like they're 3 parts all woven together (human, suit, AI) so tightly that they wouldn't voluntarily rid themselves of those other parts. Also, would a badass Spartan ever really wan to be unprepared for battle?

That banned guy DID send me that Vortex Infinity Slayer video he recorded. It's a damn good one, with a player who's pretty competent.

another big vehicle map, though :( Most BTB maps at launch ever?

Fuchsdh

It's intimated that the MkV is a bit easier to take off, and I assume that holds true with the GEN2 stuff. I seem to recall Master Chief taking his armor off solo in the Flood, but no mention of how long that took.

kylej

Banned
I dunno a damn thing about Halo fiction so that ad didn't do much for me. Should've had a minute of Formal blaining kids with the H4 snipe instead.

There has to be some sort of emergency Bad Mexican Food switch that jettisons the necessary armor pieces. The real question lies in that underarmor; where does the zipper start and stop? Bellybutton to top of butt crack?

That banned guy DID send me that Vortex Infinity Slayer video he recorded. It's a damn good one, with a player who's pretty competent.

His Adrift video was even better. I agree about the maps. Big team battle halo is not very balanced. If they made it so you can take down a banshee with a single br mag, they'd be getting warmer...

Yup.
Though of course there's a question whether a dude Spartan can get it up in the first place.
Their enhancements did affect their sexual drive and that may affect other things.

If I'm remembering right there was a "Generation 1.5" of sorts for Spartans because a few of the IIs ended up raising families. Their kids inherited some ehnancements just by genetics (such as improved night vision) so it's clearly possible, moreso if the Spartan was the mother I'd assume. Spartan mommies probably have a mancannon built into their uterus or something.

Also, getting boned by the Chief means that Cortana has to be there and involved the whole time. Worth it?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I think I'd trade one of the bigger maps for another smaller map, but I'm not too worried about it. Haven and Solace both look absolutely fantastic, Abandon looks really good, Adrift looks just plain ol' good. Ragnarok should work fine for small team stuff, too.

after watching that video of infinity slayer i've decided that i'm probably never going to play that mode because it is stupid.
I imagine I'll like it for the same reason I like Multi Team in Reach: absurd, chaotic, random fun. I don't see myself taking it too seriously.

senador

Banned
The old "can Superman have sex?" debate...

----

Philosophically/psychologically speaking would a Spartan ever partake in any activity that separates them from their armor and their AI? It seems like they're 3 parts all woven together (human, suit, AI) so tightly that they wouldn't voluntarily rid themselves of those other parts. Also, would a badass Spartan ever really wan to be unprepared for battle?

This means Chief has been stuck in his suit since the beginning of Halo 2. Cortana probably takes his suit apart to remove all that space funk and can't remember how to put it back together properly. This is now canon for the Halo 4 armor.

Woorloog

Banned
If I'm remembering right there was a "Generation 1.5" of sorts for Spartans because a few of the IIs ended up raising families. Their kids inherited some ehnancements just by genetics (such as improved night vision) so it's clearly possible, moreso if the Spartan was the mother I'd assume. Spartan mommies probably have a mancannon built into their uterus or something.

Also, getting boned by the Chief means that Cortana has to be there and involved the whole time. Worth it?

You forget that I Love Bees has dubious canonicity.
And that SIIs have quite different enhancements along with them being applied before puberty, unlike SIs' augmentations.
I think it would be best to leave this stuff to fanfiction, that way it is easy to avoid...

Could you explain
How both are alive? I swear the original didact is dead?
Cryptum/Primordium
How was it stated the Ur-Didact is dead? The whole group splits at Janjur Qom. The plot details what happens to the Ur-Didact are left out. Either the Master Builder kills the Ur-Didact or he is still alive.
Furthermore in Primordium, the ONI team who recover Guilty Spark notice Didact's actions Guilty Spark is telling does not fit with them from Halo 3's Terminal. But the scientists believe that both sources are valid.

Silentium Spoiler
The book description still confirms the theory. It mentions the Bonestellar Didact and the Ur-Didact.

So I watched the trailer again from last night to see if my opinion changed.. Just not feeling it. It wasn't bad or anything, I just don't think it was good. It was too choppy and failed to invoke any emotions what so ever. As others have mentioned, I do think the music had something to do with it, but it was not the only issue.

forward unto dawn, episode 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbBYG77VeCE&feature=plcp

THAT INTRO, holy shit

Well, shit. That was awesome. And tragic. Seriously, I really liked that episode.. the series is really delivering and greatly exceeding my expectations.

Fuchsdh

finally Forward unto dawn delivers the epic stuff i've been waiting for
I can only imagine the full length thing is going to feel so much better. I'm glad they haven't really made it feel episodic besides the Chief and Cortana moments. Cut those out and it should flow nicely.

senador

Banned
I can only imagine the full length thing is going to feel so much better. I'm glad they haven't really made it feel episodic besides the Chief and Cortana moments. Cut those out and it should flow nicely.

Yes, I'm thinking it'll work much better as a whole. It'll be fun to watch that way too. Can't wait for the Blu-ray.

Won't lie I'd be all over it too. xD

Does 343 have any plans for themes and gamerpics? I know avatar outfits will be all over the place, but I'd like some sexy premium theme love for my 360 for H4.
They have released a new premium theme based on the fourth mission.

zlatko

Banned
So halo gaf im a week free from my work.
What is the best way to prepare for halo 4.
Start playing Halo 3 or Reach anni edition?

I just put in ODST last week and beat that. If you haven't played it, it's a great 6 hours of atmosphere on legendary.

I plan to play Anniversary sometime this next week if I can clear Borderlands 2 first.

After that I'll probably just watch a recap for H2 and H3.

So halo gaf im a week free from my work.
What is the best way to prepare for halo 4.
Start playing Halo 3 or Reach anni edition?
-Halo 1
-Halo 2
-Halo 3
in that order. ODST is excellent but doesn't tie in to Master Chief's story at all.

Reach is by far the most controversial of the bunch in terms of enjoyment. Play it at your own risk

Louis Wu

If anyone's been procrastinating about pumpkin-carving this year, because I hadn't gotten around to posting a prize list... it's up. Hopefully, it'll inspire people to create cool pumpkins. ;)

Top Bottom