• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Alert

We need a fourth to do a legendary iron run in the last level of H3.

You must be European and have a good connection, we will start in 10 mins.

If you're at all familiar with Freudian psychology then you'll be akin to the ideas of the id, ego, and superego. Imagine Cortana is the Chief's superego, the dialog that works between the id and the ego. As Cortana deteriorates and goes rampant, the Chief's consciousness, his ego, will be directly exposed to his id, or our instincts that don't care about reality or the needs of others, only its own satisfaction.

Maybe he's not the "strong, silent type." Maybe he's the type that's biting his tongue from telling his superiors to fuck off because he never asked for this.

Holy shit. This explains so much. Seriously. And it actually ties into Halo:CE for me.

There was a part in Halo where after you land in the escape pod, you are supposed to protect these marines at a fort or whatever it is. As I approached, Private Bisenti greeted me: "Thank God you're here, Master Chief... I thought we were in real trouble."

That's when I stuck him with a sticky grenade.

What I did then was go up to every marine and either shoot them, melee them in the back, or whatever it took.

Afterwards, Cortana says something that I found chilling: "We couldn't save them..."

I thought this was Cortana trying to get our story straight for when we had to report to our superiors. But no, it was something far deeper than that. She was trying to smooth things over between my id and ego. It wasn't something to tell everyone else about why they all died. It was something for the Chief to believe.

Didn't I kill all those people? No. We couldn't save them. She puts "we" in there because, I believe now, she needed to take some of the blame from John in order to keep things working. And also because in that moment, she failed in her role of keeping John's true hatred of humanity at bay.

I have played all the halo im more talking about getting back into multiplayer.
Haven't touched my 360 in like a year first have to locate it in the house.

So FUD is officially the best video-game movie right? Not like that's hard to be, but that was pretty fucking awesome. Give me a $100+ million Halo movie right into my veins please!

Louis Wu

Holy shit. This explains so much. Seriously. And it actually ties into Halo:CE for me.

There was a part in Halo where after you land in the escape pod, you are supposed to protect these marines at a fort or whatever it is. As I approached, Private Bisenti greeted me: "Thank God you're here, Master Chief... I thought we were in real trouble."

What I did then was go up to every marine and either shoot them, melee them in the back, or whatever it took.

Afterwards, Cortana says something that I found chilling: "We couldn't save them..."

I thought this was Cortana trying to get our story straight for when we had to report to our superiors. But no, it was something far deeper than that. She was trying to smooth things over between my id and ego. It wasn't something to tell everyone else about why they all died. It was something for the Chief to believe.

Didn't I kill all those people? No. We couldn't save them. She puts "we" in there because, I believe now, she needed to take some of the blame from John in order to keep things working. And also because in that moment, she failed in her role of keeping John's true hatred of humanity at bay.

9835.jpg

senador

Banned

You are going way too deep. Halo CE was not planned that well. It was likely that if all the marines die, that dialogue plays.

ibuVG3PedQSPGp.gif

ZalinKrow

Does anyone have a link to that image with all the Halo 4 helmets? I really want to get a look at them again and can't find it.

Also, FUD was excellent and the Scanner trailer was amazing too. These are good times to be a Halo fan :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

iVo4Uo7wkcZhg.gif

EDIT: Best video game movie is Hitman, purely because of Olga Kurylenko.

Alert

We need a fourth to do a legendary iron run in the last level of H3.

You must be European and have a good connection, we will start in 10 mins.

Thanks for waiting!

:p - if you haven't actually started yet im joking

- also I quite liked the advert - I thought that the Spartan training stuff should have been more fleshed out as it will mean NOTHING to a casual fan - and I also think we saw a little too much of John - but the ending was awesome.

bGanci

Banned
Cryptum/Primordium
How was it stated the Ur-Didact is dead? The whole group splits at Janjur Qom. The plot details what happens to the Ur-Didact are left out. Either the Master Builder kills the Ur-Didact or he is still alive.
Furthermore in Primordium, the ONI team who recover Guilty Spark notice Didact's actions Guilty Spark is telling does not fit with them from Halo 3's Terminal. But the scientists believe that both sources are valid.

Silentium Spoiler
The book description still confirms the theory. It mentions the Bonestellar Didact and the Ur-Didact.

Doesn't the librarian reference his death in some capacity at the end of cryptum?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

I..uh..um...okay.

Flipyap

Doesn't the librarian reference his death in some capacity at the end of cryptum?
The end of Cryptum also
makes you think that you've been reading direct interactions with, and the descriptions of the last precursor. Unreliable narrator Bear.

iV6mBQFdVpxnX.gif

bobs you are always welcome on my team. I will wait til the morrow upon the morrow for you.

Haha it was joke a joke. I appreciate the thought unlike that scumbag Elzar though. :p

He made me play Reach yesterday. :(

Forced me. :(

I had nightmares.

- I actually had a really weird halo related dream, but ill post that when I am at a computer properly and can post properly.

TheOddOne

6268448400_c48ded24bb_z.jpg

WAT
what is this I don't even...

bGanci

Banned
Cryptum/Silentium Spoiler
Does the Librarian know everything? At the end, there are two Didacts. Silentium's book description confirms it.

It was claimed he was killed. So no it’s not "Clear" if he is dead or alive. It could be either way. And we are not giving any information on what in fact the Librarian does know and doesn’t.

Halo: Inception

Top Bottom