• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Sounds like 343i cranked the AutoAim to max settings =p

Nope :)

Here is an example. I have always been pretty bad about shooting a jackals arm to get it to show its head in previous games, but in Halo 4 I was popping off head shots on those bastards like there was no tomorrow, one shot in the hand and then one in the head.

I don't know what it is but I can now make twitch shots and everything and I have never been able to do that in Halo 3 or Reach.

DJ88

wwm0nkey you won't get banned, this exact same scenario plays out near the launch of every major game.

Someone gets it early, people worry and ask if they'll get banned for playing it online, company releases a statement saying early legit retail copies are fine, everyone rejoices.

People get banned when they're playing on modded Xboxes. Your Xbox is not modded, you can only play legit games, you will not be banned.

Btw you missed the first question asked to you a couple pages back. Were there a lot of "Return to battlefield" messages while exploring campaign levels?

wwm0nkey you won't get banned, this exact same scenario plays out near the launch of every major game.

Someone gets it early, people worry and ask if they'll get banned for playing it online, company releases a statement saying early legit retail copies are fine, everyone rejoices.

People get banned when they're playing on modded xboxes. Your Xbox is not modded, you can only play legit games, you will not be banned.

Btw you missed the first question asked to you a couple pages back. Were there a lot of "Return to battlefield" messages while exploring campaign levels?
did you miss the gaming side thread of the dude who DID get banned for playing a retail copy?

People get banned when they're playing on modded xboxes. Your Xbox is not modded, you can only play legit games, you will not be banned.

May wanna check this thread out: dude got banned

Here is my honest opinion on why I think theater is absent from both campaign and spartan ops. In the mp bts, 343 mentioned how much visual trickery they had to pull to make SpOps possible. My bet is the increased graphics came as a result of removing excess details that Bungie would have usually put into the environments. I am guessing playable spaces and the parts you are supposed to see look wonderful, but once you venture outside that or see parts you're not supposed to, the graphics are horrible.

He answered that when I asked, he hit it in a vehicle.
It's been like Christmas Eve for a month. Too. Much. Wanting.

It's going to be like Christmas Eve until Christmas Eve for me. That's the earliest I can realistically expect to get H4.
I hate being an unemployed college student.

wwm0nkey

I wonder what Frankie and Ellis are thinking reading these impressions.

It must be like Christmas hearing people talk about their game like this.

Well I know that Corrinne Yu is very appreciative of our comments and support of the series so I imagine all the other 343 members who browse GAF are feeling really happy right now :)

Someone mentioned it already, but it seems like everybody forget about it or didn't care, but this Forerunner glyph appeared, when the ONI screen falshed, in the SpOps video:

9RX0m.jpg

I can't figure out, which letter or number it is. Played a little bit, with the video in After Effects and in Sony Vegas, but this is the best I got.

Hm, maybe there are hints elsewhere.

Here is my honest opinion on why I think theater is absent from both campaign and spartan ops. In the mp bts, 343 mentioned how much visual trickery they had to pull to make SpOps possible. My bet is the increased graphics came as a result of removing excess details that Bungie would have usually put into the environments. I am guessing playable spaces and the parts you are supposed to see look wonderful, but once you venture outside that or see parts you're not supposed to, the graphics are horrible.

There is a strong possibilty that this is the case, but I still think that is a lousy reason to cut it. Theater mode is basically all about going behind the scenes and exploring.. the gamer had a chance to experience it in game, now they can really see more and take some beautiful shots. If some parts of the game become exposed in less than ideal ways, so be it. Blah.

I really hope it was actually in issue to get it to work and they had to cut it because it was glitching or something. =(

I just wish this was admitted earlier, every time we asked about theater we received "Don't worry" as the reply. Looks like we had reason to worry.

Many thanks to Raide - giving away the code as I already have one.

Female avatar Red armour from that Pizza Hut promotion: DMQX6-RJ63T-DXQQ2-RDRCJ-PDT6Z

Ramirez

I hope all of the people hit by Sandy are ok. We got a real heavy wet snow last night starting around 11, I went to bed around 4, and my wife woke up up around 5:30. She had candles lit & it was cold as balls, was really worried about it getting too cold for my son to handle, luckily the power came back on an hour later. So, anyways, god speed fellow east coasters!

malfcn

Weird. Just booted the Xbox.

UNLOCK SIX SPECIALIZATIONS FOR HALO 4 ON XBOX LIVE
Purchase Halo 4 standard edition and Play on Xbox LIVE by November 20th, 2012 to receive early access to six Specializations. That's access to 60 additional levels and new content in Halo Infinity Multiplayer.

I like it better than code red.

Kyle is working on it but we still have 200 more pages to go. TheOddOne and I can only post so much.

But my name is Kyle!
And we waiting for 10k posts?

Just checked Amazon.uk

Delivery estimate Thursday 8 Nov 2012 - Tuesday 13 Nov 2012

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I can't even buy the game locally, because I don't want the german version. Voice acting has been terribad in previous Halo games.

Raging so hard right now. FUCK.

Moa

Just checked Amazon.uk

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I can't even buy the game locally, because I don't want the german version. Voice acting has been terribad in previous Halo games.

GG Amazon.

I thought this exact same thing too, then I see the SpOps trailer and parts of the campaign that are in third person and look incredible. It could very well be that they prettied up some specific portions for commercials, but now what I think is either:

- there were simply too many bugs that could be fixed in time to make it to press
- It became an issue of space.

There's still the whole scoring issue to hash out, and it could be absent for the very same reasons. I'm still grasping at the hope that, since no one's been able to play SpOps, scoring somehow made it in to make replays that much more interesting.

we heard of that weeks ago.
Yep, it pretty much cemented the fact that the LE had nothing to offer me. I don't even know what "early" is supposed to mean anyway; we still have to wait until we hit max rank before we can even choose a specialization. I feel like we're still missing out on some fairly important information.

L0GIKILL

Neo Member
I hope all of the people hit by Sandy are ok. We got a real heavy wet snow last night starting around 11, I went to bed around 4, and my wife woke up up around 5:30. She had candles lit & it was cold as balls, was really worried about it getting too cold for my son to handle, luckily the power came back on an hour later. So, anyways, god speed fellow east coasters!

Strong winds and powerful gusts here in Maine. Not much precipitation, so I think its business as usual for the most part other than some downed trees.

Buddermilk

Neo Member

Glad to hear you didn't have to go too long without power, especially with a little one in the house. Here in MD I only experienced heavy rain and strong winds. Last I heard millions of people were without power.

S1kkZ

Just checked Amazon.uk

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

i ordered the german limited (for only 70€ its a steal) and the uk version.

it just fucking sucks that there is ZERO material from the german dubbing. it must be extremly bad since they try to hide it. i even contacted the german audio studio (which is responsible for the dubbing) and asked which voice actors they used for chief/cortana. the response: they are not allowed to talk about anything since ms/343 dont allow it.

Gazzawa

Just checked Amazon.uk

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Lul

I want to see if Monumental feels the same way about this as I do but I feel like Halo 4 has the best aiming system of any FPS out there, I have never been able to do twitch shots or anything like that but in Halo 4 the aiming is just so perfect that I just think about it and it happens. Its so spot on and its like nothing I have ever experienced and its kind of hard to describe but it just flows so nicely.
I think there are a few things at play that account for this.
1) Halo 4 removes some of the hyper quick enemies such as skirmishers and the godly elite dodgers from Reach. They feel a bit more like Halo 3.
2) Every Jackal, Grunt, and Crawler is a 1-shot headshot so there's no need to spend 3 bullets to take down a damn grunt.
3) There are very good line of sights in the campaign, the environments are mostly very open and clean. The visuals aren't muddied.
4) The hitboxes do seem a lot more cleaned up compared to Reach. So landing shots on the side of a jackal's shield is a lot more consistent.
5) The existence of 4 amazing weapons that all feel so great to use. (Pistol, BR, DMR, Light Rifle) The bloom is (mostly) gooooone!

All of that comes together to do exactly what you said; the best aiming system in an FPS which makes picking off enemies a joy in this game. I thought ODST did a wonderful job at this and Reach was so much more frustrating. This is a step-up from ODST.

toronto's been fine so far. some strong winds, some rain, a couple 5 minute blackouts. sandy not living up to the hype so far i should've waited for a price drop.

I think there are a few things at play that account for this.
1) Halo 4 removes some of the hyper quick enemies such as skirmishers and the godly elite dodgers from Reach. They feel a bit more like Halo 3.
2) Every Jackal, Grunt, and Crawler is a 1-shot headshot so there's no need to spend 3 bullets to take down a damn grunt.
3) There are very good line of sights in the campaign, the environments are mostly very open and clean. The visuals aren't muddied.
4) The hitboxes do seem a lot more cleaned up compared to Reach. So landing shots on the side of a jackal's shield is a lot more consistent.
5) The existence of 4 amazing weapons that all feel so great to use. Pistol, BR, DMR, Light Rifle
that's actually good to know, now that i think of it the helmet grunts in reach were irritating.

Ramirez

Glad to hear you didn't have to go too long without power, especially with a little one in the house. Here in MD I only experienced heavy rain and strong winds. Last I heard millions of people were without power.

Millions...that sucks. I wonder if Tash is ok? Anyone know what part of NY he lives in? Some of the pics in that Sandy OT thread are scary/depressing.

^ I bet Tashi is without power.. haven't seen him here or the hurricane thread and he was speculating he would lose it.

Weird. Just booted the Xbox.

Yup, this has been known for a while now. Early specializations is another thing not really exclusive to the LE... Then again, gameplay things like this shouldn't really be tied to LE's anyways, but its too bad they didn't try harder with that thing.

You've been able to do this in every Halo ever (and many other games too) and it's never hurt anything. You don't need theater to screw up your intended view of the game world. Hell, Halo 2 encouraged this with stuff like the Scarab gun.

At best, I'd say QTEs are to blame unless there's an *actual* technical reason.

tv3el.gif

S1kkZ

monkey, monumental: are there more options this time? subtitles during the whole game (not just cutscenes), audio sliders for effects/voices/music?

GhaleonEB

OT update.

It's pretty close.

I'm going to be at work late tonight, and when I get home I'm going to work on it for two hours. After those two hours, I'll post it, and make any updates/tweaks I still have in mind tomorrow.

Because it will be good enough.

Dug

Banned
OT update.

It's pretty close.

I'm going to be at work late tonight, and when I get home I'm going to work on it for two hours. After those two hours, I'll post it, and make any updates/tweaks I still have in mind tomorrow.

Will the OT have avatars? :D

5.3 million, to be exact. Isn't Tashi in Upstate New York, I thought somewhere around Albany? Storm went due west when it hit land, into Pennsylvania and Ohio.

At best, I'd say QTEs are to blame unless there's an *actual* technical reason.
It's obviously for technical reasons. It's not because of QTEs. Trust me.
monkey, monumental: are there more options this time? subtitles during the whole game (not just cutscenes), audio sliders for effects/voices/music?
Sorry no. No audio sliders. I think everything works the same as always. Because the Chief and Cortana talk throughout the game, there are subtitles outside the cutscenes (only for the main character dialogue).

broony

OT update.

It's pretty close.

Thank you. Looking foward to going through it at work tomorrow.

m23

toronto's been fine so far. some strong winds, some rain, a couple 5 minute blackouts. sandy not living up to the hype so far i should've waited for a price drop.

A fellow.....Torontonian? Yeah, we have definitely not been hit hard. Just a few power outages, but one lady has died from flying debris.

Loving the impressions on the game guys, thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom