• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

I've been using Promethean grenades to deny areas in MP. I don't think they are really meant to kill anyone but they are nice to rip shields and get people to move out of an area.

Arnie

The thing that bugs me most is everything I don't like about the game is everything 343 have added. The best parts of Halo 4 are the core concepts Bungie created and crafted, restored after the experiment that was Reach. Every design and balance decision I see from 343 is borderline amateurish, to me, coming from Bungie's legacy.

Like, literally, the BR is useless. Properly useless. In a straight firefight with a DMR at almost any range I'd be embarrassed to lose. The decision to just throw eveyr weapon into the game to service this trite experience system is completely baffling to me. If you settled on a single weapon and balanced it properly there'd be no need for a DMR and BR, let alone a Carbine and a Light Rifle. Sure, it's an extra option to unlock, but it's pointless and it muddies the flow of combat.

Similarly the ordnance and spawning systems are so counter intuitive to how Halo works that I'm baffled as to their inclusion, to be honest. Giving someone an overshield because they've got three kills is a terrible design decision, to me, and doesn't promote any sort of map movement. In Halo 3, grabbing overshield was a risk, with players having to duel for limited resources on the map.

Edge's criticism that Halo's lost its purity is completely valid, to me. It really has. The core gameplay loop is fantastic, the actual gameplay of jobbing around the map for the pursuit of ordnance is guff. Similarly, the new points system is an abhorent construction, and doesn't connote the scores or effort needed to win as well as the old system. In a game of slayer nobody knows what the fuck you have to do to win, how many kills is 135 points, or whatever. Why not just literally use first to 50 again? Seriously. Just like the new, fuck ugly medals it's a change for the sake of changing, and a clear step back from previous games.

The UI being another perfect example. Fucking terrible.

TCKaos

Yesterday I got with five friends and shit on kids in Dominion. We capped C and B on Exile before they capped A and immediately capped A thereafter, and then we managed to kill all of them before anyone could so much as walk in to another base. Whole round lasted less than two minutes.

Also got to play some 4v4 on Shoe Box Canyon. After adjusting the spawn times on the power weapons I think it's safe to say that it's a matchmaking quality map. I hope we get to play it in some more customs.

heckfu

Banned
I've been using Promethean grenades to deny areas in MP. I don't think they are really meant to kill anyone but they are nice to rip shields and get people to move out of an area.

In MP I think they are pretty excellent! My favorite big team loadout is DMR > PP > ProGrenade. EMP a vehicle and toss a ProGrenade near the vehicle and a good portion of the time it'll toast the Warthog or Ghost (especially killing whichever passenger is closest).

Ken

Giving someone an overshield because they've got three kills is a terrible design decision, to me, and doesn't promote any sort of map movement. In Halo 3, grabbing overshield was a risk, with players having to duel for limited resources on the map.

I'm still baffled by the decision in Reach to make active camouflage, originally also a power up, into an armor ability everyone has.

Fuchsdh

Salt levels returning to normal tolerances...

Installed both discs of the game yesterday while i was busy helping a friend pack to move, but looking forward to finally playing through it co-op tonight.

Played through the beginning of mission 4 and I felt like I was on autopilot. The way the encounters played out was all very repetitive:
Grab LR, run out of ammo for it during the encounter, try to finish off with what little variety ineffective weapon options are available to me, rinse and repeat. It got better when more of the sandbox was available to me.

Most of the
Promethean encounters up until this point have been a bit of a letdown because you're only given Promethean weapons to work with. This becomes a major problem with one of the core components of Halo's combat: grenades. The Promethean grenade is one of the most unsatisfying grenades I've ever had to use. There's no feedback when using it aside from the hitmarkers that appear in your HUD, and they take too long to kill or do so little damage to be effective enough. The AI just moves out of the way. Every time I've used them I wish I could've replaced them for a frag or plasma grenade.

Forging ahead. I think I'm in the middle of mission four at this point.

Get ready for more, because the Prometheans are not fun to fight at all. Worse than the flood ever were.

Arnie

Played through the beginning of mission 4 and I felt like I was on autopilot. The way the encounters played out was all very repetitive:
Grab LR, run out of ammo for it during the encounter, try to finish off with what little variety ineffective weapon options are available to me, rinse and repeat. It got better when more of the sandbox was available to me.

Most of the
Promethean encounters up until this point have been a bit of a letdown because you're only given Promethean weapons to work with. This becomes a major problem with one of the core components of Halo's combat: grenades. The Promethean grenade is one of the most unsatisfying grenades I've ever had to use. There's no feedback when using it aside from the hitmarkers that appear in your HUD, and they take too long to kill or do so little damage to be effective enough. The AI just moves out of the way. Every time I've used them I wish I could've replaced them for a frag or plasma grenade.

Once again I completely and utterly agree.

Mission 4 spoiler:
Despite the gorgeous foliage I found mission 4 to be dull. Really, really dull. The Knights are boring to fight, they barely even move, and the watchers don't exhibited much artificial intelligence either other than flying in a straight line once they're shot at.

I'd rather fight grunts than the mass of crawlers you face on that mission, too. Crawlers are shit. Barely ever a threat, and they don't even move about much. At least grunts pose a serious threat in their suicide attempts or overcharged PPs, crawlers don't have any of this.

I'm fighting boring enemies with uninspiring weapons like the light rifle, and I'm frustrated because I'd much rather be fighting covenant.

Then, to top it all off, and this happened last night, after the part where you defend the hill against a swathe of prometheans, and go through the door, I didn't get a checkpoint. So I got into the cave without any ammo, got mercilessly killed by the grunts, and then got pushed back 30 minutes. Sorry, not having that, just switched over to multiplayer.

I must give credit to 343 though, they've actaully managed to design a grenade that's less effective, and more superfluous than the spike grenade.

Shadders

Complex is too big for 4vs4, hell I think it is even too big for 5vs5, worst map for now.

Yeah, my least favourite too. I find the openness makes predicting enemy movements very hard. You see a blip on your radar, but there are so many overlapping areas at different heights it's really hard to identify where they are.

Glad to see that it wasn't just my friends and I who think the Campaign was to linear and pushed you forward to much and that the Prometheans aren't fun to fight. I think the Prometheans show promise and with some improvement they could be fun in Halo 5. Let's just hope 343 doesn't mess it up twice in a row.

Bizazedo

The thing that bugs me most is everything I don't like about the game is everything 343 have added. The best parts of Halo 4 are the core concepts Bungie created and crafted, restored after the experiment that was Reach. Every design and balance decision I see from 343 is borderline amateurish, to me, coming from Bungie's legacy.

These are exactly my feelings. I'm having fun and don't regret the purchase at all, but it does feel like a big step back.

I can't properly judge campaign yet since Legendary isn't exactly normal, but the AI has been atrocious. Way, way too many times enemies don't "activate" until I get too close or reach certain parts of the map....meaning half the time they let me pop them in the head from a distance.

I'm dying a lot, still, but that's just because I'm rusty, not the enemies.

Anyone else have their xbox freeze whenever they try to open waypoint from Halo 4s menu?

So far it does it 100% of the time for me.

Yes, every time for me as well.

Pop

Yeah, my least favourite too. I find the openness makes predicting enemy movements very hard. You see a blip on your radar, but there are so many overlapping areas at different heights it's really hard to identify where they are.

Radar shows their location by adding an arrow to the red dot. You can tell if their neutral level with you, above or below you. Just throwing that out there in case you didn't know.

Some minor tweaks to playlists and gametypes would make Halo 4 more enjoyable. I'm having a great time with H4. Played my first match of regicide and I like it a lot. Really really loving H4.

Yager

Banned
Radar shows their location by adding an arrow to the red dot. You can tell if their neutral level with you, above or below you. Just throwing that out there in case you didn't know.

Some minor tweaks to playlists and gametypes would make Halo 4 more enjoyable. I'm having a great time with H4. Played my first match of regicide and I like it a lot. Really really loving H4.

Regicide is awesome, specially if you're playing with friends. One list I miss is Multi Team; Crazy King in MT was absolute madness.

TheOddOne

Most of the

Actually liked fighting the Prometheans more than the Covenant as the game progressed. Did not think much of them in the beginning, but fighting multiple of them at once on Legendary is a real challenge -- the ones with the Shotgun are real bish. Most of the weapons are useless against them, but boy pop out the Suppressor to pump bullets in them and see their shield drop then finishing with the Light Rifle feels so good.

One thing I did notice is that the enemies love to throw grenades.

Played a ton of multiplayer last night with a couple friends and had a blast. Maps are already getting old though. How many maps are there in rotation on regular infinity slayer...like 5? Ugh.

Overdoziz

Banned
So apparently if you pick up Speed Boost and then Overshield your Speed Boost goes way, but if you pick up Overshield first and then pick up Speed Boost you keep both.

Hey guys, some exciting news.

Over just finished making the next iteration of 2Forts!

Now please, I ask you to contain your excitement, especially you Bobs'.

So, uh, where do I find the people who love this game? I seem to be the only one here.

We're actually playing the game.

lol I remember when I thought I'd be playing with HaloGAFers the first few days of release.

Had no idea I'd be going in solo for 90% of the matches.

I said I'd make a HaloGAF tag last night..but I ended up playing multiplayer all night instead.

In game text is so hard to read. This is the first time I've ever complained about the writing in a game before, but some of it is just ridiculously hard on a 32" plsama... Too small and compacted.

You're not alone. The in game scoring list is hard to read on a 46'' plasma.

Pop

Played a ton of multiplayer last night with a couple friends and had a blast. Maps are already getting old though. How many maps are there in rotation on regular infinity slayer...like 5? Ugh.

How many were you expecting at launch? I'll suggest something, how about trying other gametypes. Maybe...

Hey guys, some exciting news.

Over just finished making the next iteration of 2Forts!

Now please, I ask you to contain your excitement, especially you Bobs'.

Needs more ordnance.

I don't get the hate for Pulse grenades, they're my favorite. In Campaign they can actually kill most Prometheans if you get them trapped in the field and in multi they're great Denial-of-Area tools.

How many were you expecting at launch? I'll suggest something, how about trying other gametypes. Maybe...

In Halo 2 there were at least 10 regular slayer maps upon launch, right? This is Halo 4, the budget has been multiplied, 343 was handed an engine, there are twice as many people working on the game. I don't think more than 5 maps in rotation for the main playlist is too much to ask.

edit: and I have tried other gametypes, and they are fun. But I prefer smaller maps without with vehicular gamepaly.

Fuchsdh

In Halo 2 there were at least 10 regular slayer maps upon launch, right? This is Halo 4, the budget has been multiplied, 343 was handed an engine, there are twice as many people working on the game. I don't think more than 5 maps in rotation for the main playlist is too much to ask.

edit: and I have tried other gametypes, and they are fun. But I prefer smaller maps without with vehicular gamepaly.

God damn there are some whiners here. But you'll get a map pack in a month.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Went dark while I finished the campaign. Very much enjoyed it.

Love the MP, minus some quirks and some things I imagine will get fixed later on. I keep running out of DMR ammo because everyone else is using the BR.

Read back a couple pages, won't bother with the rest, I've had my fill of spewage of a month. Rather be playing Halo 4.

Pop

edit: and I have tried other gametypes, and they are fun. But I prefer non huge maps with vehicular gameplay, I never saw it as Halo's forte.

Default maps are bigger now. Game just launched. This isn't 2004. Playlist/Gametypes will get tweaks.

Arnie

God damn there are some whiners here. But you'll get a map pack in a month.

Come off it, one of my friends described the matchmaking experience as a beta last night because you're forced to scroll through the same three maps over and over again, if you stick to 4v4, which is what we prefer.

The matchmaking experience feels really bare; where's that symettrical forge map on the moon environment that was thrown around pre-release? Why aren't their any forge slayer maps ready to go at launch?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Come off it, one of my friends described the matchmaking experience as a beta last night because you're forced to scroll through the same three maps over and over again, if you stick to 4v4, which is what we prefer.

The matchmaking experience feels really bare; where's that symettrical forge map on the moon environment that was thrown around pre-release? Why aren't their any forge slayer maps ready to go at launch?

There are. One per environment pre-made I believe. People complained so much about Forge maps in Reach that they didn't want to put them into playlists at launch.

So in 2020 we'll have 2 maps and you'll tell me that it isn't 2012? Good point.

I'm pretty sure there are the same number (or close) of maps in 4 as 2. I think that's what Pop is saying.

Default maps are bigger now. Game just launched. This isn't 2004. Playlist/Gametypes will get tweaks.

Edit: If you're talking about trends and map packs today, do I have to tell you to look at call of duty's number of maps?

So you only picked the 2004 argument huh

I never said that you're speculating. All I'm getting at is stop comparing that era of gaming to now. Again, game just launched for crying out loud.

I just don't get what you mean by the default maps are bigger. I mean I know what you're saying, but I don't see how thats an argument. Half the maps are big team battle maps, which has never been close to core Halo gunplay; btb is not default, and the fact that its second in the playlist with lower population illustrates that.

I know the game just launched...It was just an honest criticism. I said I had a blast, I just said there weren't enough maps. Not hard to see where I'm coming from.

Pop

So you only picked the 2004 argument huh

I never said that you're speculating. All I'm getting at is stop comparing that era of gaming to now. Again, game just launched for crying out loud.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Okay, I feel like I've really missed out on the story in 4. It probably dampened my enjoyment of the campaign immensely (because I seem to be the only guy who thought it was completely forgettable).

Anyone have a list of lore articles I should read in prep for my Legendary playthrough?

RdN

The lack of ammo on the Campaign is really pissing..

During the Mammoth mission, when you have to destroy the 3 energy thingys, I had nothing but a Plasma Pistol. It was big pain in the ass to disable the energy fields while escaping from the Wraith, since I had no way to destroy it. Eventually destroyed the nodes, and left the Wraith there.

Should hit in the wee hours of the morning on Monday every week.
excellent.

Thanks, Ellis. SpOps is the best part of the game for me so far, much more challenging than the campaign.
I must say that SpOps on solo Legendary is fucking amazing. The mission with all the Crawlers is unfair to say the least, but overall the set pieces and combat scenarios might just be better than the campaign. Sacred is just a beautiful set piece, and I finally "got" how to fight the Prometheans effectively.

It's still a shame that 4 player is so incredibly short, I really think 343 should up the ante and make the co-op missions Legendary.

But Ellis and Co., you guys dun good. :)

check check
Awesome new avatar

EDIT: oh yeah, the Challenges for SpOps are not working properly. I finished all 5 missions on Legendary and didn't get the Episode of Legend Challenge for it.

TheOddOne

Seeing as the map packs announced and are all arriving within 5 months, I would not be surprised if they announced new mappacks plus Spartan Ops season 2 bundled. In a year we might have about 25-28 maps.

During the Mammoth mission, when you have to destroy the 3 energy thingys, I had nothing but a Plasma Pistol. It was big pain in the ass to disable the energy fields while escaping from the Wraith, since I had no way to destroy it. Eventually destroyed the nodes, and left the Wraith there.
You know that you can go inside the Mammoth whenever you want, right? Tons of ammo onboard.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Dude
run back to the Mammoth, it's like right behind the rocks there. Grab more gear, go blow up the rest. The Mammoth has 3 rocket launchers, a few snipers, BRs, etc. etc. You can even use the Mammoth turret at times to take out enemies around the shields.

:p

(The above is not really much of a spoiler)

MrBig

Quality over quantity.

Yes. I feel like all of the maps I've played are good. There is not a single map that stands out as being bad, they're all perfectly useable for their appropriate rolls. IMO H4 has the most good base maps of any Halo, besides Halo 2, so it's already in a very good position as far as variety and utility goes.

Okay, I feel like I've really missed out on the story in 4. It probably dampened my enjoyment of the campaign immensely (because I seem to be the only guy who thought it was completely forgettable).

Anyone have a list of lore articles I should read in prep for my Legendary playthrough?
a) For anything in life, you're not the only one. You're not even the only one in HaloGAF
b) I personally would not say it was completely forgettable, but it's flawed in some bafflingly obvious ways. I cannot understand some of the decisions, gameplay especially
c) As someone who has read what there is to read, a "fan of the universe", I was very let down by what they did with the
Didact & Librarian.

I'd love to write up a big review, breaking down the good and bad points of the game, but with family visiting tonight, and spending the weekend in London, I won't get a chance.

When I played that mission
the Mammoth moved round after I took down the first 2 thingys, allowing me to use one of the mounted weapons to take down the Wraith.

So I watched the lengendary ending on YouTube...and didn't see it when I beat the game on legendary.

Do you only see it on solo, and not co-op?

MrDaravon

I'm playing MP like I play CoD MP, and I am being way, way more successful than I ever was in previous Halo games. I'm not sure what that means or how I feel about it though.

RdN

When I played that mission
the Mammoth moved round after I took down the first 2 thingys, allowing me to use one of the mounted weapons to take down the Wraith.

Yeah, I'm doing a Legendary run, and when I got to that part, both my turrets had been destroyed by the Phantoms, so no help from them. I had used the Snipers, but didn't see the Rockets.. Will look better next time.

willow ve

One thing that definitely needs to be fixed (and should be super easy) is put some standard weapon spawns on the map. You give us hitscan weapons with 3X zoom, put the battle on huge as fuck maps, and then give us no way to replenish ammo anywhere on the map.

This should be fixed - put some DMR and BR drops on each map. And don't make them a part of the ordnance system (which is a waste of time).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah, I'm doing a Legendary run, and when I got to that part, both my turrets had been destroyed by the Phantoms, so no help from them. I had used the Snipers, but didn't see the Rockets.. Will look better next time.

Check both levels. The rockets are on the very bottom where the vehicles are if I remember right.

On the MP side, I just can't get away from the .500 middle ground.

Capture.PNG

Shadders

Yeah I know, it's just on Complex I think it can often mislead you as there are so many heights to the terrain so it will say he's on your level when he's actually below you on one of the rampy bits.

Seeing as the map packs announced and are all arriving within 5 months, I would not be surprised if they announced new mappacks plus Spartan Ops season 2 bundled. In a year we might have about 25-28 maps.

You know that you can go inside the Mammoth whenever you want, right? Tons of ammo onboard.

If DLC and playlists are properly handled that would be glorious. Although I'd rather a smaller collection of good maps than have swordbase, the cage, and hemmorhage everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom