• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risen

Did you miss the discovery that there's also no campaign theater as far as we can tell?

I saw some of the discussion about that - it's what brought to mind the question about party viewing. I have to admit, the lack of campaign theater doesn't bother me that much. Mostly because I'm a multi-player first kind of guy, even while enjoying the campaign story and game play. Losing theater there wouldn't touch me much - losing the ability to watch game play videos with friends or team mates has always been a huge gripe for me. More so than many of the actual game play changes.

Gaming is a social experience... Halo has always combined that social experience with competitiveness and the theater experience in H3 was spectacular from that stand point. In spite of the bugs many point out, such as watching clips with parties, it worked nearly flawlessly for what I enjoyed most, and was a HUGE added value.

In Reach, it's something I almost never touched... sounds like it will be the same for me again in H4.

Maybe the flag should go white so they can surrender at will.

There should be a surrender option in Halo. The League of Legends surrender feature is so outstanding.

Did we cause all this by ignoring the objective and slaying kids all day in Unlimited Slayer Objective?

Nothing has changed, today people where refusing to avoid the objective just to dong longer lol.

Also - I really hope they dont use the Reach splash messages for Halo 4 viral marketing, I dont want to have to load up the game to see them in more detail.

Here's a tease!

stdo.png
Hey Steve.

Now get Jen.

Can't wait for you to accidentally pick up the flag/ball in a dangerous situation and immediately change your mind.

I don't know, not being able to pick up something you clearly want to pick up is a lot more frustrating than temporarily holding the Oddball. In terms of Oddball, I love the idea of auto-pickup. It can be abused, but I think in mostly interesting ways.

As for dedicated carry with auto-pickup, that's a little scarier. That said, you know where the flag is through walls, you know about auto-pickup so you're less likely to to make this mistake. I'd be curious to see what happens to a flag carrier when shot. A flag that accidentally bounces into my rocket-carrying arms would be quite frustrating.

But yeah, this conversation's apparently been had to death. The main point I'd say is this: I have yet to hear anyone complain about these settings or encounter the downside during a match. The closest I've seen is a guy who wanted to camp the flag with a banshee, and personally, I'm fine with him being stuck on flag delivery instead. Keeps the game moving.

Sanjuro

Managed to snag Halo 3, ODST, and CEA for a combined total of $24.

Recently unemployed. I'm like Batman with prep-time when it comes to deals and coupons.

Still looking for someone to possibly go through CEA on Legendary.

EvB

Headphones with gamechat and games ounds coming in through the TV. Turning the TV down would turn everything down. VOILA

Sounds like a rather crummy setup if you ask me, why not have a volume control for the headset separately as even the most basic of chat headphones have?

Also, the Sean Connery 'Junior' video was far more annoying than that one, I had to watch that 0.5second clip at least 8 times before I understood what you were trying to say.
If rather be a junior than a 'member' anyhow.

JHall

I equate picking up a flag that you can't drop and puts a waypoint above your head to be the same thing as surrendering.

Don't forget about the magic pistol. Remember 343i said that it was to make the flag carrier feel "less helpless", even though that same flag carrier might have rockets on his back.

But, that's ok. The magic pistol is totally better than rockets.

BigShow36

Don't forget about the magic pistol. Remember 343i said that it was to make the flag carrier feel "less helpless", even though that same flag carrier had rockets on his back.

Its the massive bloom that really gives you the feeling of confidence.

Nooooooooooooooooo

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

343i.
Wut r u doin?
343i

STAHP

Seriously... Is this true? Please tell me it isn't. Please.

Its okay, you can always go back to Reach.

Raide

Don't forget about the magic pistol. Remember 343i said that it was to make the flag carrier feel "less helpless", even though that same flag carrier had rockets on his back.

Golden Gun Flagnum.

Can someone explain to me why the spawns on Haven, which is a symmetrical map, are apparently (the oddball video posted a few pages back showed it) asymmetrical?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm here to remind everyone that we have to assemble a day 1 full party boosting group to form a circle and throw the ball to each other for the duration of an entire round. With double XP we'll be at 50 in no time.
This reminds me, I've been wanting to clarify something for a while. I thought the +5/+10/+15/etc. number values that pop up with the white text don't indicate XP earned. They just show how many points you're earning towards your personal ordnance. XP is a totally separate thing, and is only shown in the post game menus... Or so I thought? Can anyone clarify?

Sounds like a rather crummy setup if you ask me, why not have a volume control for the headset separately as even the most basic of chat headphones have?

Also, the Sean Connery 'Junior' video was far more annoying than that one, I had to watch that 0.5second clip at least 8 times before I understood what you were trying to say.
If rather be a junior than a 'member' anyhow.

Sometime I like to play at night and I don't want to wake my roomates so I play with headphones.

Pavaloo

Man this thread is like a minefield, I'm scared to post my thoughts on changes without getting shredded for it D:

It is an eye-opener though, to see that every different, seemingly little variables have defined the "Halo" experience for many.

TCKaos

This reminds me, I've been wanting to clarify something for a while. I thought the +5/+10/+15/etc. number values that pop up with the white text don't indicate XP earned. They just show how many points you're earning towards your personal ordnance. XP is a totally separate thing, and is only shown in the post game menus... Or so I thought? Can anyone clarify?

[ ] Soon
[ ] Trust us
[ ] We'll discuss that feature closer to launch
[ ] Feels like Halo

Pick any and all that apply.

TITLE UPDATE 1.1: Changed fourth voting choice to a less redundant option.

Raide

Man this thread is like a minefield, I'm scared to post my thoughts on changes without getting shredded for it D:

It is an eye-opener though, to see that every different, seemingly little variables have defined the "Halo" experience for many.

Burn him!!!

Throw your thoughts into the mix. We can just recycle them and use them against you once Halo 5 arrives. Circle of Life!

Gui_PT

I don't know, not being able to pick up something you clearly want to pick up is a lot more frustrating than temporarily holding the Oddball

I never had a problem picking up the flag. Walk over it, hold button. Just a matter of dexterity/skill?

It's almost as if the flag carrier is supposed to be vulnerable. Weird.

Yeah I wish the flag carrier had -500% speed, no shields and every time he shot someone, he'd lose some health.

EvB

Well as you still get that XP even in non infinity Slayer. I presume they have nothing to do with ordnance drops. I thought that was just part of the new game scoring system, where instead of kills being points, the players are judged on their overall point score.

BigShow36

I never had a problem picking up the flag. Walk over it, hold button. Just a matter of dexterity/skill?

You just discovered why 343 changed it.

Can someone explain to me why the spawns on Haven, which is a symmetrical map, are apparently (the oddball video posted a few pages back showed it) asymmetrical?

Because that adds predictability, which would give a team that is more knowledgable or is better prepared an advantage, which simply isn't fair in competitive multiplayer games.

Halo needs to evolve (CE, right?) and part of 343's design philosophy here seems to be focusing on choice few game types and really making them work well. From the impressions I've read and the footage I've seen, Halo 4 is a lot more fun than previous iterations. If that's at the sacrifice of customization, so be it. If you miss the old games, play them! You can drop flags to your heart's content. I won't be the first to say that flag juggling was more obnoxious than it was fun or "deep".

FLAGDROPPEDFLAGTAKENFLAGDROPPEDFLAGTAKENFLAGDROPPEDFLAGTAKENFLAGDROPPEDFLAGTAKEN

hahahahahaha

you sound like a b.net kid

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Or one where we get mocked in a condescending tone for having the nerve to oppose change for the sake of change.
I don't think 343 ever just changes thing cause they can. They think their changes are improvements. They just have a very different idea of what makes a good Halo game than most of us do.

And, like many have pointed out, it's probably better that they're sticking to their guns and not trying to please everyone. But they could at least let us drop the flag in customs, turn of white text, and customize our control scheme...

EvB

Because that adds predictability, which would give a team that is more knowledgable or is better prepared an advantage, which simply isn't fair in competitive multiplayer games.

This is also why the Fiesta gamerype is now favoured by MLG players. Gone are the days with us all spawning with predictable rifles, now some of us get rockets , some get grav hammers and some get needlers!

TCKaos

Wow sig just choked pretty hard. He's having an off day.

I don't think 343 ever just changes thing cause they can. They think their changes are improvements. They just have a very different idea of what makes a good Halo game than most of us do.

And, like many have pointed out, it's probably better that they're sticking to their guns and not trying to please everyone. But they could at least let us drop the flag in customs, turn of white text, and customize our control scheme...

In the year 2012 I have no idea how this isn't an industry standard.

BigShow36

I'm going to step off my sarcasm pulpit for a moment to clarify. Most of the stuff I post is hyperbole, making a big fuss about things mostly because I think it's hilarious and not really because I think its a huge deal. While I hate change for the sake of chage, some of the changes 3434 has made could turn out alright.

My biggest complaints have to do with the base gameplay; slow strafe, slow movement, slow kill speed, easy to use weapons, randomized gameplay features. I already know I probably won't play Halo 4 for long, not because of all these little changes and alterations, but because in the end, the base gameplay will be the same as Halo 3 and Reach. It's going to be slow with a imited shooting skill gap and focus almost exclusively on teamshot. Until the underlying issues are resolved (which they wont be), auto pickup and having a flagnum really aren't huge deals to me. I don't necessarily like them and I think a lot of them are unnecessary, but they are insiginificant next to slow base gameplay.

^^^^ that thing still looks ridiculous. Like a piranha and Godzilla had a child.

Because 343's decisions stopped making sense a long time ago.

We're talking about players spawning, right?

I think I talked about this with you last night. One team spawns at the bigger, wider ramps that looks out over an edge while the other team spawns at the smaller ramp with a wall at the bag. It also seems to be slightly more elevated.

Maybe it isn't that big of a deal but it's pretty damn weird when you consider there are perfectly fine symmetrical spawns on the map.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
http://beyondfantasycollectables.co.uk/ekmps/shops/beyondfantasy/images/storm-jackal-halo-4-series-2-action-figure-217-p.jpg[IMG]

[spoiler]I know what you're saying, but still, WTF Covenant redesigns[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
The Jackal is the only redesign I don't like. The others range from good to awesome, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom