• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

u4iX

Now I know Spartan Ops takes place 6 months after but, imo, Halo 4's Campaign felt abit short. I'd like an expansion that focuses on Master Chief. Working a desk job in his Mk Armor 24/7 until another Invasion attacks Earth. Seriously, make it happen.

Quick time event: press X to staple papers.

Things to look forward to this month in gaming:

- Spartan Ops 1.5
- Bungie's new site design

It's a sad day when I'm more excited about a website redesign over a massive content drop in Halo 4.
If you're referring to a possible small upgrade to the mode, I doubt it. I will be surprised if anything is different about Spartan Ops outside of locale changes for the rest of the season.

u4iX

Kind of a rough read considering I'd been attempting to avoid a negative disposition towards Halo 4, but it seems everyone's opinion is catching up that the Halo 4 experience is lacking in many regards.

Reddit link here.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Wow. I'd never even HEARD of this promotion. Nice deal for the winners... I wonder if it could have been more effective with a little better advertising?

Me neither. I'm pretty pissed lol.I would love to go to E3 this year.

AF Jon

Neo Member
Wow. I'd never even HEARD of this promotion. Nice deal for the winners... I wonder if it could have been more effective with a little better advertising?

It would've been more competitive for the first 25 spots, but it doesn't sound like they were looking for a larger applicant pool than that anyway. Wish I'd known about it, though.

I'm not sure I understand what the requirements where? Complete the campaign solo legendary but then sync up with something?

Louis Wu

I'm not sure I understand what the requirements where? Complete the campaign solo legendary but then sync up with something?

Rules here

You had to register (by giving them your name and a valid Amex card number), then sync that on the Xbox... then be one of the first 25 (who'd done that syncing) to finish the achievement.

They can't. They cannot miss the E3. The E3 is still the important place to show off a game if it is planned to be released in the same year.
Rockstar never goes to E3, and they have some of the biggest games in the industry.

Bungie doesn't need to go to E3, although I think they will, but I think the game will be announced prior to E3, and not at a conference or show.
Isn't Bungie/Activision more like a partnership and not puppets like IW and TA are? No way I see Bungie settling with that, that would decrease the value of the Destiny name by a lot.
Yes, Bungie has signed a publishing contract with Activision, but they remain an independent studio and as a company a corporation owned and operated by its own employees.

Studios such as Infinity Ward and Treyarch are owned by Activision.

Fuchsdh

http://www.videogamer.com/news/telltale_would_love_to_create_episodic_halo_game.html

Plz 343i. Make it happen. Just drop Spartan Ops and outsource
lol
it to those guys.
They made Jurassic Park: The Game. They don't have any automatic blessing from me.
Week 2 might've been the worst of the bunch. It gets decently better afterwards.

Episode 3 is the best overall, in terms of gameplay and in-game plot arc. Eps 4-5 are decent, and better than Eps 1-2 for sure.

All things considered, they're still fun playing with a group of friends.

Has Spartan Ops gotten any better? I don't think I've played any of it past Week 2
-Palmer isn't even around in the last episode, so it gets immensely better in one aspect.
-The multiplayer maps incorporated into SpOps are some of the better missions, easily.
-Netcode is still complete shit; good luck getting one smooth-running game (and I live in the US and had no Reach Firefight issues to speak of)
-Enemy encounters are still geared towards 4 people.
-The CGI cutscenes are completely awesome, far better than actually playing SpOps itself.
-You get nearly 8,000 space bucks for playing an 8-10min. mission online, which is way more than it used to be.

Halo 3: ODST is not a new IP like Destiny. Halo 3: ODST wasn't even planned as a new full price retail game. It became one in the USA at a later point. In 2008 Microsoft only showed games at their E3 press conference which had come out at the same year. ODST wasn't planned for 2008. :)

And I think the best revealing will be a own event. It'd get the whole attention and no other game could steal it.

Questions: Does anyone actually like Spartan Ops? Does anyone find it fun?
*raises hand* Yes. I thought Episode 3 was fun. A lot of fun(At least the first 4 chapters). Some encounters were better than some campaign encounters. The CGI cutscene are damn fantastic. Roland rocks, Lasky rocks, Halsey rocks, the Elites rock, Palmer is a egghead spartan who does not need to wear a helmet because she has a egghead. But at the end, Spartan Ops was not designed for a Solo experience which is a shame. Still I look forward to the second half. :)

Edit.: I should say: Spartan Ops isn't a equal replacement to Firefight. They should have co-existed.

TheOddOne

*Sees Light Rifle*

*closes stream*
tVD9A.png

Questions: Does anyone actually like Spartan Ops? Does anyone find it fun?

I enjoyed playing through the missions the first time, offline and normal difficulty. I like the story and thought the gameplay had enough variety to keep me interested.

However, online play is another story. So is Legendary difficulty. The terribad framerates and ridiculous terrible spawns have kept this mode from having any replayability.

Rephrase that. Who finds it more fun than firefight?

fuuuuuuuuuuuck that. no scoring, no customization aside from loadouts and unplayable lag keep SpOps way below Firefight in terms of quality.

Fuchsdh

Firefight was pretty dull in Reach.

If Spartan Ops was done well it could be as fun as ODST Firefight. Spartan Ops in Halo 4 is only bad because they made a bunch of fundamental flaws in its design.
More or less. Obviously Arcadefight was going to be either FRG or Sniper fests but there were other issues like the same campaign/multi space compromises as other maps and some enemy behavior issues in how they attacked. Ghaleon had a good article on FUD about it.

http://www.forwarduntodawn.com/full-spectrum-firefight/

GhaleonEB

ODST Firefight > Reach Firefight > Halo 4 Spartan Blops.

As a core mode, I'd agree, though I loved Reach's greater customization and matchmaking funtionality. I wish we'd gotten a marrying of ODST and Reach's Firefight, and progressed it forward, such as by integrating personal ordnance and such.

I think Spartan Ops is flat out terrible. I feel bad typing that (sorry, David!) but I just didn't enjoy the mode at all. The primary justification for losing all the customization from Firefight was the narrative, and it was a weak story with mind-numbing characters (Palmer, dudebro Spartan IV's). Meanwhile the core game was just as wave-based as Firefight, but without any of the structure to support it. It's probably my biggest disappointment with the game, and one of the main reasons I decided to get rid of it, once I concluded I wouldn't play Campaign again and gave up on War Games. With Reach I had at least one mode to cling to.

Fuchsdh

As a core mode, I'd agree, though I loved Reach's greater customization and matchmaking funtionality. I wish we'd gotten a marrying of ODST and Reach's Firefight, and progressed it forward, such as by integrating personal ordnance and such.

I think Spartan Ops is flat out terrible. I feel bad typing that (sorry, David!) but I just didn't enjoy the mode at all. The primary justification for losing all the customization from Firefight was the narrative, and it was a weak story with mind-numbing characters (Palmer, dudebro Spartan IV's). Meanwhile the core game was just as wave-based as Firefight, but without any of the structure to support it. It's probably my biggest disappointment with the game, and one of the main reasons I decided to get rid of it, once I concluded I wouldn't play Campaign again and gave up on War Games. With Reach I had at least one mode to cling to.

Haha to each their own. I think Reach's Firefight was just plain boring either in matchmaking or customs, which I blame in part on the sandbox--or rather that ODST's very limited sandbox forced you out of your comfort zone and made you fight harder (treated carbines like power weapons etc.)

I did not know anyone played Reach's FF besides farming credits in the first months after launch.

Spartan Ops isn't as good as we thought, but it is a step in the right direction for a sub campaign with friends. Reach FF was just taking up disc space. Unless we get another ODST FF, I'm going to have my hopes for the future seasons of Spartan Ops.

Blissful

Neo Member
Things to look forward to this month in gaming:

- Spartan Ops 1.5
- Bungie's new site design

It's a sad day when I'm more excited about a website redesign over a massive content drop in Halo 4.

I'm just waiting for the ranking system to be implemented. Hopefully 343 has seen the light and realized that having it just show on waypoint is stupid

FyreWulff

I was also disappointed that there wasn't the ability to play as Elites in Spartan Ops against human players, ala Firefight Versus. Actually thought the reason they were hunching the Elites over again was for something like this, as they were hunched to make them play more like the Spartan model, which would make sense if humans were controlling them again in some way.

Thing is, Reach's Firefight can be made to play mostly like ODST's Firefight. But I guess it's more important to delete unique lists and keep two copies of Arcadefight in Reach's matchmaking instead of converting one of them into FF Limited / Classic.

I was also disappointed that there wasn't the ability to play as Elites in Spartan Ops against human players, ala Firefight Versus. Actually thought the reason they were hunching the Elites over again was for something like this, as they were hunched to make them play more like the Spartan model, which would make sense if humans were controlling them again in some way.

Firefight Versus never really took off :( Would have been interesting to play it properly. The Gears of War 3 Beast mode was a lot of fun - if they had elements of that for Firefight Versus it could have been interesting.

FyreWulff

Firefight Versus never really took off :( Would have been interesting to play it properly. The Gears of War 3 Beast mode was a lot of fun.

Well, it was supposed to come back after the initial tryout playlist. Then the handoff happened. All of the impending playlists that were being worked on were left on the floor

GhaleonEB

Haha to each their own. I think Reach's Firefight was just plain boring either in matchmaking or customs, which I blame in part on the sandbox--or rather that ODST's very limited sandbox forced you out of your comfort zone and made you fight harder (treated carbines like power weapons etc.)

I enjoyed Reach's core combat a great deal, outside of multiplayer. I think Bungie really nailed a great feedback loop against AI on it, with wide differentiations within the classes of enemies. I agree the big flaw was unlimited ammo, and ammo boxes for that matter. (Not to metion the more passive AI.) I strongly preferred Limited, which while not as well set up as ODST, often presented a sound challenge. I set up my own meta goals around things like vehicle take downs and kill streaks which kept it interesting after the playlists were neglected for so long. And then deleted, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom